Major reason why team overlooked Prescott

UnitedWhofans

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

When you factor in the tortured logic behind it, this is maybe the dumbest thread ever posted on this site.

59 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Guys, you know a place that constantly churns out great pro quarterbacks? Penn State. BIG MACC BABY

Don't forget the quarterback factory that is Baylor.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Name the last QB out of the SEC that has succeeded in the NFL and become a franchise QB

The one I can think of is Stafford then Eli Manning.

SEC QBs for the most part have not translated well to the NFL, probably because SEC teams build their teams around defense and skill positions.

Tebow, Manziel, McCarron, McElroy, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, All busts or not major QBs

I just spoke with a source in the Jets organization.  It is true that the Jets did not pick Prescott because he played in the SEC.  How did you know this?

I watched multiple games dak played in college and no one is more shocked than me that he is doing what he's doing. He skipped so many balls off the turf, looked lost and couldn't get the job done when the game was on the line. He looked. Like a guy with the right attitude and leadership characteristics but he lacked the physical attributes to be a success in the NFL.

Dak went in the 4th round for a reason but sometimes guys like this just have the drive, determination and positive attitude to get things done. None of those things are measurable at the combine.  When you get the guy outside of the 1st round it's all luck. No one thought this would happen for him. 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Name the last QB out of the SEC that has succeeded in the NFL and become a franchise QB

The one I can think of is Stafford then Eli Manning.

SEC QBs for the most part have not translated well to the NFL, probably because SEC teams build their teams around defense and skill positions.

Tebow, Manziel, McCarron, McElroy, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, All busts or not major QBs

Bad post....  there are only what 1--15 ELITE QB's the last 20 years?  Mathematically, no conference produces elite QBs on a regular basis.  NC State has 4 QBs in the NFL. Does that mean the ACC or NC State is where we should look?

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Bad post....  there are only what 1--15 ELITE QB's the last 20 years?  Mathematically, no conference produces elite QBs on a regular basis.  NC State has 4 QBs in the NFL. Does that mean the ACC or NC State is where we should look?

yes, we must take Trubisky in '17!

does Wilson count for NC State since he transferred and disassociated himself w/ the school?

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Newton's "success" took a step back this year. So he's still on the book. Needs to have another major Super Bowl run, I think. Plus, he started for basically one year in the SEC. 

Cutler is in the same boat as Stafford. Good but playoff success has eluded them. Franchise QB is loose with them

He won the MVP

Just now, gEYno said:

And that right there is why Macc will be out of a job soon.

No, he won't. Macc is not a bad GM. If ANY team knew Dak was going to be what he is then Dak would have gone in the first round and not have been drafted by a team that first tried to move up and take Paxton Lynch. 

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

No, he won't. Macc is not a bad GM. If ANY team knew Dak was going to be what he is then Dak would have gone in the first round and not have been drafted by a team that first tried to move up and take Paxton Lynch. 

There are two affronts here.  One is not taking Prescott, and that sucks, but as has been said, many teams made that mistake.  The second, bigger one, is drafting Hackenberg in the second, who, if he were taken where he should have been, may have been a practice squad player... Maybe. 

The second is less worse than the first.  Macc came to a team with no QB and after 2 seasons has added 2 players who can't usurp Ryan Fitzpatrick having a league worst year.  That's what gets Macc fired, not Prescott.

4 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I forgot the title of this thread was why Jets passed on Dak Prescott. First they had drafted Hackenberg in second round and second Jets are just historically bad at picking QB talent. If there is a QB they can overlook in ANY draft they will.

Not only passed on Prescott they also passed on Cardale Jones who I think can be a good pro qb

There are two affronts here.  One is not taking Prescott, and that sucks, but as has been said, many teams made that mistake.  The second, bigger one, is drafting Hackenberg in the second, who, if he were taken where he should have been, may have been a practice squad player... Maybe. 
The second is less worse than the first.  Macc came to a team with no QB and after 2 seasons has added 2 players who can't usurp Ryan Fitzpatrick having a league worst year.  That's what gets Macc fired, not Prescott.

He brought in fitz so that the coaching staff would have a chance to develop his young qbs. We have literally not seen anything from hack yet which does not mean he is a terrible qb only that they want to develop him right he can still end up being our future. Petty was a fourth round pick who we have seen one game with limited opportunities from he could also end up being viable. Mac has brought in a wealth of talent from top to bottom, his job is not to make players play to their potential and it is not his fault they are underperforming.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

He brought in fitz so that the coaching staff would have a chance to develop his young qbs. We have literally not seen anything from hack yet which does not mean he is a terrible qb only that they want to develop him right he can still end up being our future. Petty was a fourth round pick who we have seen one game with limited opportunities from he could also end up being viable. Mac has brought in a wealth of talent from top to bottom, his job is not to make players play to their potential and it is not his fault they are underperforming.

If Petty showed anything, he'd be starting this week.  If Hackenberg showed anything, Petty wouldn't be on the team.  The idea that Hackenberg ever takes a meaningful snap for the Jets should be considered wishful thinking at this point.  But, wealth of talent?  Who exactly do you like on this team that he brought in?  Leonard Williams.  Next?

If Petty showed anything, he'd be starting this week.  If Hackenberg showed anything, Petty wouldn't be on the team.  The idea that Hackenberg ever takes a meaningful snap for the Jets should be considered wishful thinking at this point.  But, wealth of talent?  Who exactly do you like on this team that he brought in?  Leonard Williams.  Next?

Brandon marshall, Matt forte, skrine, williams, lee, our three rookie recievers, I will even throw fitz in there because last year We got 31tds out of him and got him on the roster for a 5th round pick. Macc is not responsible for training and conditioning we have tons of big name guys on our roster and yes alot of them are a bit old but we are not getting what we should out of any of our players which should not be held against macc. Look at what the roster looked like before Macc was here compared to what it is now if you still think he is the problem than there is no point discussing this further.

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Brandon marshall, Matt forte, skrine, williams, lee, our three rookie recievers, I will even throw fitz in there because last year We got 31tds out of him and got him on the roster for a 5th round pick. Macc is not responsible for training and conditioning we have tons of big name guys on our roster and yes alot of them are a bit old but we are not getting what we should out of any of our players which should not be held against macc. Look at what the roster looked like before Macc was here compared to what it is now if you still think he is the problem than there is no point discussing this further.

Rather than addressing all of your names, I'll just say that I think you'd be in the minority by calling Skrine a positive.

Also, FA is for suckers.  The draft is all that matters, and outside of Leonard Williams falling in our laps, he's really not excelled there are this point.

Rather than addressing all of your names, I'll just say that I think you'd be in the minority by calling Skrine a positive.
Also, FA is for suckers.  The draft is all that matters, and outside of Leonard Williams falling in our laps, he's really not excelled there are this point.

You can't build a team through the draft alone your good players would be old by the time you have good young ones at the other positions...it is hard to say what we have in maccs drafts yes the only player who has shown pro bowl talent is williams. Our linebackers have shown flashes too either way I am not ready to say guys we haven't see much of are busts I still have high hopes for devin smith who will finally be back this game. Skrine I agree that I am in the minority of jets fans who would say he was a good find but he does play well when he is playing in the position we brought him to play he is not an elite player but he is fairly solid.

31 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

You can't build a team through the draft alone your good players would be old by the time you have good young ones at the other positions...it is hard to say what we have in maccs drafts yes the only player who has shown pro bowl talent is williams. Our linebackers have shown flashes too either way I am not ready to say guys we haven't see much of are busts I still have high hopes for devin smith who will finally be back this game. Skrine I agree that I am in the minority of jets fans who would say he was a good find but he does play well when he is playing in the position we brought him to play he is not an elite player but he is fairly solid.

The packers of the last decade pretty much prove that immaculate. At one point less than a dozen players on the 53 weren't drafted by them.  

15 hours ago, phill1c said:

Really, when you look at QBs around the league, one minute this guy is doing well, the next minute they aren't. Prescott is doing well this year. But will he last? who knows...You guys are all over the latest guy ALWAYS. And then you trash a college football conference. You sound stupid.

Yep, there was a time when we all thought Sanchez was the guy

this argument plays over and over.  remember back in the 60's and 70's when the wishbone was all the rage?  look at the qb's who came out of those systems and succeeded.  based on the performances of leinhart, sanchez, and barkley, why would anyone select a usc qb yet the pac 10 seems to have their fair share.  and look at guys like flacco, roethlisberger, wentz who all came from small or less renowned schools.  and even a guy like brady in the sixth round was ridiculously undervalued when you consider he played at michigan and was splitting time with drew henson. 

imo, qb's who are starters  at the college level are already pretty well developed as far as their athleticism and accuracy.  i can't say if a qb from a shotgun style team has a lot more trouble than a guy that lined up under center.  it seems to me these guys have had to train both ways so it isn't such an issue.

Perhaps because Jet management sucks and drafted and 7th round QB in the 2nd round who is Johnny Bravo... He fits the suit...  Hack only completed 55% of his passes in College and he got to play Rutgers once a year.  Wasted pick esp after seeing the success Prescott is having in Dallas.

He's also playing behind the best OL in football, with the best RB in football behind him, a HoF TE who still produces, an elite WR1 (granted he's been injured and missed some time, but you see what he can do when he's healthy), and a solid defense that keeps it close for him.

For me, the jury is still out on him. Obviously he's had success till now, and I see that success carrying forward for another year or two; but that's more due to the strong team around him, rather than his standalone value. Once the team deteriorates, will he sink or will he swim? I'm not too quick to put him in the swim category just yet. 

And yea, every other team in the league passed on him at least three times as well. 

Also, Cam won the MVP last year.

And, water is wet. 

Archived