Romo a Jet??

jetsfellow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I hate these kinds of posts. Sorry, its really nothing against you.

But you can't possible ever make reasonable plans like this. It's silly and no GM with half a brain thinks this way. 

1. No guarantee you go 2-14 with petty or hack or any qb. 

2. No guarantee Darnold, or Jackson, or Rosen will be available for your team. Even if a trade was offered. Sometimes, even for a MASSIVE offer that absolutely mortgages the future of the Franchise. 

3. No guarantee ANY of these guys will be any good. 

4. No guarantee the Jets will NEED a QB by then. What if the light-bulb goes on and Petty lights it up? What if Hack comes in and takes hold of the starting gig, proving HE is the guy.  

Frankly, there's a million different scenarios that make this kind of reasoning pointless.  

Right now, the Jets have 2 young QBs that they don't really know what they have in. I think Petty has shown, in the limited time he's gotten to play, that he is not the stud Franchise type of QB some may have hoped he could become. Doesn't mean he can't be a starter in this league some day. But you just don't see that when he plays (now in his second year)- IMHO. Which is, in part, why he was drafted in the 4th round.

We have seen almost nothing of Hack. So he is a much bigger mystery. He looks to have the higher ceiling and better upside. Which is, in part, why he went in the 2nd round. He had a true red shirt season. The Jets need to find out what they have in him and do their due diligence scouting QBs- b/c they may have the opportunity to draft the to QB prospect in the draft- even though it is a weak QB class. If they think they have something in Hack (and I DO believe that is exactly how they feel), they will not draft a QB, possibly at all in the draft. 

I agree logically you can't plan that far ahead for the future because things can change. I just don't see a scenario we aren't picking outside the top 5 next year, intentionally tanking or not . You're right, they can all stay in school, all he busts etc .. but I don't see a scenario in which we don't stink. I don't see any great QBs in this class and the FA QBs look terrible . Petty isn't good, and the team doesn't play for Bowles . We will be very bad next year

39 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't think you can make the assumption that Hack can't play and is years away, lol, just b/c he is buried on the depth chart. I think the CS ad Jets brass made it VERY clear that they are committed to a red-shirt season for Hack. Just b/c we are not seeing him play in 'worthless games' at the end of a 'pathetic season' doesn't nec. represent how good or back Hack is or where he is in his development.

Fair enough.  Though given the CBA restrictions on practice, being buried on the depth chart means a hell of a lot more than just being listed 4th on a piece of paper.  It means he got basically zero meaningful practice reps.  (Phuck Fitz.)

We will see, but I am confident Hack will get a shot to earn the starting gig next season. Personally, from what I have seen and heard of Hack as a student of the game with a high football IQ and great work ethic, I think he is far ahead of the learning curve, and considerably more prepared than what most Jet fans think.

You have more confidence in the Jets than I do.  Let's not forget this team has recently signed Tebow and re-signed $hitz.

Which curve is he ahead of?  Dak's curve?

So, you hope he can get better from what? The one pre-season game he played in after he was drafted? LOL Yes, I assure you he has improved since then.

Yes, I hope he's improved from that one game.  As well as his bad college years and his reported bad practices here.

I'm happy for your assurance he's gotten better, but not sure that means we're set at QB moving forward.

I'm sure you think Hack is a bust and that is fine.

Don't be.  You'd be wrong.

Or maybe you don't, I dunno. But he is a young QB that the Jets value highly. And this matters because he figures in their future QB plans.

Again, what the Jets value at QB doesn't really mean much lately.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick made 12mil this year.  

Seriously think about that one.

So let's not assume anything about him until he gets a shot. Which he will. I find it ridiculous how so many fans are acting like this was some awful draft pick selected 3-4 years ago that never amounted to anything. They are already looking at the 2018 QB class. Its just dumb.     

Absolutely.  Don't assume anything other than what we know.  Fitz, Geno and Petty all played while Hack didn't.  And given the CBA restrictions, Hack didn't get much practice.

It's not dumb looking at the 2018 or even 2017 QB classes.  It's absolutely foolish not to be looking at those classes and any possible QB solution until we have a QB actually playing regular season games that is legitimately a franchise QB.  Until that point, you always stay looking.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The only reason to sign him (much like signing Fitz this year to that contract) is because management/ownership/HC are delusional and believe this team can compete at a high level and just missing the QB.  

That's what they thought coming into this season - but it's so clear right now that the talent level in awful - I truly have a hard time believing they haven't admitted to themselves that a full rebuild is required.  

They had better.  But I have seen this before when the Jets surprised under Rex that first year. 

No way the Jets thought that they were going to the conference championship game with a QB with only one year of college experience, could they?

But making that game masked or rather stopped what should have been a continuing alteration of the Jets that had been started by Mangini.  

So yes you are again correct but the Jets have foooled themselves again with this song. I just hope that they are not willing to dance to it one more time. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

That would be nice and a great signing. The only problems are his health we know the guy can play. You don't need a long term Qb, a few years with Tony is ok. The idea is to win now and with a true franchise Qb the talent we have now would play better (I hope). And a good opportunity for Tony playing with some good players in the NYC market. 

This is the thing you are a sound poster so yes Romo is a superior player to Fitz and would be an instant upgrade. The key question is are the Jets going to pay him 24 million dollars for that upgrade when the team is so weak in other areas?

Are we that good say on the OL that we can afford to give away drat picks?

If Romo were realesed and we could get him for say 16 million then folks might say yes for one or two years but now his 24 million price tag plus needed picks just seems to high to me. 

19 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is the thing you are a sound poster so yes Romo is a superior player to Fitz and would be an instant upgrade. The key question is are the Jets going to pay him 24 million dollars for that upgrade when the team is so weak in other areas?

If Romo were realesed and we could get him for say 16 million then folks might say yes for one or two years but now his 24 million price tag plus needed picks just seems to high to me. 

It's not $24 million. Just copying $$$ info off Jason's site: http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

• Romo's salary is $14 million. To a team that trades for Romo, his salary and salary cap number would both be $14m and nothing more.

For Dallas - and only for Dallas - cap calculations:

• Dallas has frontloaded tons of money to Romo. Of that amount, there will still be about $20m left that needs to come off the cap. They paid it to him, so it must come off.
  • His current cap number is (in round numbers) due to be $25M based on that $14m salary plus $11m of past bonus already paid to him.
  • There's another $9m in amortized, past bonus money already paid to him, that's still due beyond that (left alone, they'd hit over the next 2 seasons)
  • If Dallas cuts or trades him they save $14m total on their caps because they will not be paying him that $14m anymore. It will seem like they only save $5m, but that's not really true because:
  • The rest of the $20M from past bonus can hit $11M this year and $9m next year, or all $20m can hit this year. To Dallas, it probably makes no difference which way it comes off, since the cap is more or less fluid from year to year. If they take all the hit this year, they can clear that $9m back by frontloading others to have bonus replace their base salary. Doubtful it will be necessary, because their QB is so dirt cheap for the next few years it'll work itself out.
  • Summary: if kept this year, $34m needs to come off Dallas' caps. They can eliminate $14m of that by trading/cutting him. 

Unless I'm missing something - which is possible - this is how it looks to me.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

What Mac decides to do at the QB situation will speak volumes about his judgment for talent. If he is not pressured by Woody to take Romo.

Mac needs to clean house.  Hack is a sunken cost cut him and let him go learn to throw a football in Canada.  Petty can hold a clipboard

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here is his contract. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/ He  has three more years at about 20 mil per. Will he take a price cut? He might have to. But will the Cowboys ask for a big price or just let him go. I think there is still guaranteed money left on his deal. But anyways the Jets are going to have to pay more than 12 mil for one season to get an upgrade. 

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$24 million? Where do people come up with this? The site(s) that aggregate this stuff make it pretty clear:

http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

• Romo's salary is $14 million. To a team that trades for Romo, his salary and salary cap number would both be $14m and nothing more.

For Dallas - and only for Dallas - cap calculations:

• Dallas has frontloaded tons of money to Romo. Of that amount, there will still be about $20m left that needs to come off the cap. They paid it to him, so it must come off.
  • His current cap number is (in round numbers) due to be $25M based on that $14m salary plus $11m of past bonus already paid to him.
  • There's another $9m in amortized, past bonus money already paid to him, that's still due beyond that (left alone, they'd hit over the next 2 seasons)
  • If Dallas cuts or trades him they save $14m total on their caps because they will not be paying him that $14m anymore. It will seem like they only save $5m, but that's not really true because:
  • The rest of the $20M from past bonus can hit $11M this year and $9m next year, or all $20m can hit this year. To Dallas, it probably makes no difference which way it comes off, since the cap is more or less fluid from year to year. If they take all the hit this year, they can clear that $9m back by frontloading others to have bonus replace their base salary. Doubtful it will be necessary, because their QB is so dirt cheap for the next few years it'll work itself out.
  • Summary: if kept this year, $34m needs to come off Dallas' caps. They can eliminate $14m of that by trading/cutting him. 

Unless I'm missing something - which is possible - this is how it looks to me.

I actually was using the figure that was told out here    Obviously a mistake. 

I can't tell from this then what could the Jets expect Romos salary to be ?

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Our season was over when Macc gave Fitz 12 million. Who the heck even does that?

I can't wait to see who you pick out to aim your misguided vitriol at next season. Probably will just keep ignoring the broader issues and keep blaming Fitz for a 2017 team he won't be on. You'll have to find a new horse to beat and I doubt you'll be able to handle it. Good luck to you in that endeavor. 

54 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I actually was using the figure that was told out here    Obviously a mistake. 

I can't tell from this then what could the Jets expect Romos salary to be ?

Fair enough. 

Salary:

On the Jets, if they traded for him = $14 million

If he stays with the Cowboys = also $14 million

Cap Hits:

If he stays with the Cowboys = $25 million

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fair enough. 

Salary:

If he stays with the Cowboys = also $14 million

Cap Hits:

If he stays with the Cowboys = $25 million

Thanks...

Hmmmmmm well IMO 14 million certainly isn't outrageous for Romo.  The question becomes then what would Dallas want in a trade for him, if it is a relatively low round draft pick you may go for it?

I would go for Tyrod first over Romo.

Why? If you believe that petty or hack could be your future their skill sets are far closer to Romo than tyrod so they would get a much better learning opportunity plus the chances aren't good for Romo to make it through an entire season so they would likely get some play time in also. I honestly don't think tyros is going to leave buffalo anyway.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't think you can make the assumption that Hack can't play and is years away, lol, just b/c he is buried on the depth chart. I think the CS ad Jets brass made it VERY clear that they are committed to a red-shirt season for Hack. Just b/c we are not seeing him play in 'worthless games' at the end of a 'pathetic season' doesn't nec. represent how good or back Hack is or where he is in his development.

We will see, but I am confident Hack will get a shot to earn the starting gig next season. Personally, from what I have seen and heard of Hack as a student of the game with a high football IQ and great work ethic, I think he is far ahead of the learning curve, and considerably more prepared than what most Jet fans think.

So, you hope he can get better from what? The one pre-season game he played in after he was drafted? LOL Yes, I assure you he has improved since then.

I'm sure you think Hack is a bust and that is fine. Or maybe you don't, I dunno. But he is a young QB that the Jets value highly. And this matters because he figures in their future QB plans. So let's not assume anything about him until he gets a shot. Which he will. I find it ridiculous how so many fans are acting like this was some awful draft pick selected 3-4 years ago that never amounted to anything. They are already looking at the 2018 QB class. Its just dumb.         

Can you name one positive about Christian Hackenberg besides his body type?

Guys the QB situation is a mess. We all know this. Romo makes it worse. The guy would be a disaster. Sure he could be good as long as he plays but unless they are able to rebuild the OL through FA and the draft Romo won't last 3-4 games behind the current line. Based on the draft picks they have made so far and the FA's they have signed I don't have much faith in Mac to rebuild the OL in one off-season. Unless they commit to a total tear down of this team this malaise will continue until they wise up. They must cut the dead wood and start the rebuilding process.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, SR24 said:

If he was turning 33 then yes but 37+he's fragile, pass. Draft a safety,sign Stephon Gilmore,use free agency and the 2nd+3rd round draft picks to address the oline

No draft BAP which hopefully is Fournette when we pick, then draft about 3 stud olinemen. Oline is our biggest issue that's why our QBS struggled even worse. They couldn't stand up long enough to read a defense.

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

No draft BAP which hopefully is Fournette when we pick, then draft about 3 stud olinemen. Oline is our biggest issue that's why our QBS struggled even worse. They couldn't stand up long enough to read a defense.

Negative, 1- highly likely Gilchrist is gone which means our best safety is gone. Pryor is a liability in coverage. 2- We still have Forte and Powell, 3- There's only 1 real stud lineman in this draft Cam Robinson who may be a reach at #6. The line can be addressed through Free Agency and in the later rounds but unfortunately our defensive secondary is a train wreck right now and this draft has some real elite level Safeties and Corners

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:50 AM, FTL Jet Fan said:

Romo is  injury prone and he is 37. We are not contenders, we need to focus on our young QB and possibly draft another one.  We might try  to get Cutler, or another FA QB. His injury history is just to much of a risk. It will be interesting to see what Mac does, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Romo. I am on the Glennon, Tyrod Taylor bandwagon.

I too say pass on the human glass man and look at Tyrod Taylor or Glennon.Two stop gap qb's and possibly more and look towards the 2018 draft for a young stud and also . see what we have in Hack during the preseason.

Archived