Romo a Jet??

jetsfellow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Romo is  injury prone and he is 37. We are not contenders, we need to focus on our young QB and possibly draft another one.  We might try  to get Cutler, or another FA QB. His injury history is just to much of a risk. It will be interesting to see what Mac does, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Romo. I am on the Glennon, Tyrod Taylor bandwagon.

Taylor just got benched by another AFC East dumpster fire, yea lets go get him. Glennon? HAHAHHA

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Great player.

At his age, and his questionable health, the Jets should stay away from him. Especially if they plan on purging the roster anyway.

I'd much rather we purge the roster and sign a guy like Tyrod Taylor instead of Tony Romo if we're going to go that route.

No question Taylor or Glennon make more sense.  Romo wouldn't last 5 minutes behind our OL

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Denver is going to take a serious look at Tyrod if he becomes available.  He makes a lot of sense there.

Unfortunately i can see Glennon to LA or AZ and Taylor to Denver.

Meanwhile Bonebrain Woody trades for Romo and he goes on IR by week 1 of preseason

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Taylor just got benched by another AFC East dumpster fire, yea lets go get him. Glennon? HAHAHHA

He got benched because his contract would become guaranteed with an injury. He'd be due around 30 million next year.

This has nothing to do with his play.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Unfortunately i can see Glennon to LA or AZ and Taylor to Denver.

Meanwhile Bonebrain Woody trades for Romo and he goes on IR by week 1 of preseason

Broncos can't afford Tyrod. Their issue isn't QB play, it's run D and Oline.

Glennon isn't going to be a backup with the money he's going to command. 

Rams are sticking with Goff. Maybe they'll sign a vet to back him up, but no Glennon. 

Browns, Bills, Niners, Bears, Jets, Jaguars are the ones running the QB carousel. 

7 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Broncos can't afford Tyrod. Their issue isn't QB play, it's run D and Oline.

Glennon isn't going to be a backup with the money he's going to command. 

Rams are sticking with Goff. Maybe they'll sign a vet to back him up, but no Glennon. 

Browns, Bills, Niners, Bears, Jets, Jaguars are the ones running the QB carousel. 

Cardinals are cutting Palmer.  Arians wants to win now and is a Qb guru so they will sign Glennon or Taylor

Denver absolutely needs a qb.  I don't know their cap situation but they did offer Osweiler $45 mil last year.  Siemian is not the answer and Lynch is a bust

I say Rams because Gruden is probably going back to coaching and he's already been on record he likes Glennon.  Goff's struggles have to concern him

Given our "media whore" owner's penchant for trying to grab headlines any way he can, except for building a winning organization, don't discount the Romo talk. Three times he's done it after terrible years. 1) Farve in 2008 after a 4-12 season 2) Tebow in 2012 after losing last 3 games in 2011 to blow the playoffs 3) Revis in 2015 after another 4-12 season.  Don't ever put anything past Woody.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Given our "media whore" owner's penchant for trying to grab headlines any way he can, except for building a winning organization, don't discount the Romo talk. Three times he's done it after terrible years. 1) Farve in 2008 after a 4-12 season 2) Tebow in 2012 after losing last 3 games in 2011 to blow the playoffs 3) Revis in 2015 after another 4-12 season.  Don't ever put anything past Woody.

Next year's depth chart:

1. romo

2. Tebow

3. Petty

4. Hack(waterboy)

romo will go to denver

we might as well bring fitz back since we are bringing the same sh*tty coach back and sh*tty gm-they all "need more time"

as far as Ftiz goes it should be noted I created a thread how terrible fitz would be before the season and next year it would be the same

I cant believe we are bringing back these guys to "lead us"

Bowles players quit on the team without question but yet he is "our guy"

next season-cant wait(threw up on my mouth typing this)

29 minutes ago, August said:

I'm in the minority that believe Romo stays in Dallas and becomes comfortable being Dak's backup. 

I think his salary and cap implications make this a pretty likely scenario.  The Cowboys get minimal cap relief if they just let him go, and his current salary is a lot for another team to bite off.  I think he has $24 million guaranteed next season.   And, no way he's leaving that kind of money on the table in a renegotiated deal.

I don't mine the idea of him being a stop-gap guy, but there is a couple of issues:

1) Would it REALLY be an open competition, and if Petty and Hack were better, would you put them in?

2) If Romo did start, who would play the other 8 games when he DOES get hurt?

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Roll with Petty and go 2-14 and get Darnold, Jackson or Rosen next year. Rebuild the OL and defense in draft / FA this year.

sounds good in theory, but the fire McCagnan planes over MetLife that would pursue make this idea moot. We're going to put a bandaid on 2017 because he doesn't want to lose his job.

People have been calling for a rebuild, but yeah, let's trade away more picks to get what would be at best 2-3 year band-aid. If you are going to rebuild, you are going to suck. Try to make the suck shorter by keeping all of your picks and not getting a few meaningless wins on a QB that isn't your future.

Here's a worst case scenario:

Romo plays well enough to win a few games for us. However:

The guys that the Cowbows draft with our 3rd because rookie of the year (running back, OL, you name it). And, the RG we were going to sign with the money we spent on Romo helpls lead the Pats to another SB.

Romo gets a career ending injury in the middle of the season behind our awful OL

Petty sucks when coming in because Romo got most of the reps in camp. Petty goes down on IR behind the same line.

Hack sucks as he had even fewer reps behind Petty and Romo.

Thanks to a couple of key wins early, the jets finish 5-11 which is just enough to miss out on one of the 3 true QBs coming out in 2018.

Woody fires both Bowles and Mac and cleans house with another rookie GM and rookie HC. Rinse and repeat.

Now, that is a worst case scenario that would just SUCK. And, it is quite likely. If we are in rebuild mode, just say NO to old retread QBs.

8 minutes ago, Mecca said:

sounds good in theory, but the fire McCagnan planes over MetLife that would pursue make this idea moot. We're going to put a bandaid on 2017 because he doesn't want to lose his job.

Yup. Bowles and Macc will be fighting for their jobs so we wont get a proper, patient rebuild.

Here's the thing. And no I have not ready everyone's responses so someone may have beat me to the punch. But...

Its about the money. 

Romo has a massive contract. One that the Cowboys are stuck with (a lot of it is guarantees). Unless there is some sort of buy-out or a re-structuring of the deal, there is simply no way the Jets will take on that commitment. They don't want Romo for the next 3 years. They want him as a bridge for ONE season. They don't want to pay him the money he is owed. Its entirely too much for a guy that has been so beat up, has battled through so many injuries and is going on 37.

Now, if the Jets could get him on the cheap (or let's be more realistic and say 12mil for one year a la Fitz). Well, I don't see why not. A healthy Romo (even if not healthy all season) is a massive upgrade over anything the Jets have had at QB for a while (if you exclude the miracle season Fitz had, while the 'magic' was still flowing). But if that WERE to be an option, Romo would simply go to a contender instead, who would probably be willing to agree to a deal like that. Maybe the Broncos?   

In truth, if you look at the situation in its entirety. Romo does not really have many options. There are not a lot of contenders that do not already have QBs. His only real options are to restructure his salary, take a pay cut and ask to be traded to the Broncos (the only 'contender' that would want him). OR to collect his paycheck and stay on the Cowboys as the most expensive and probably best backup in the league. Otherwise, he can take a pay cut and go to a 'bad' team in need of a QB (the Jets, Bills, Browns, etc., etc., etc.). But I don't see that happening. The Cowboys would not be getting much in return, Romo would be losing money, and for what? A chance to start on a bad team?? He might as well retire. Teams will not want to give up very much for a 36yr old, beaten up QB, even if he can still play at a Pro Bowl level.    

17 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree 100%, but unfortunately we are as an organization often that dumb!!

The only reason to sign him (much like signing Fitz this year to that contract) is because management/ownership/HC are delusional and believe this team can compete at a high level and just missing the QB.  

That's what they thought coming into this season - but it's so clear right now that the talent level in awful - I truly have a hard time believing they haven't admitted to themselves that a full rebuild is required.  

31 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Roll with Petty and go 2-14 and get Darnold, Jackson or Rosen next year. Rebuild the OL and defense in draft / FA this year.

I hate these kinds of posts. Sorry, its really nothing against you.

But you can't possible ever make reasonable plans like this. It's silly and no GM with half a brain thinks this way. 

1. No guarantee you go 2-14 with petty or hack or any qb. 

2. No guarantee Darnold, or Jackson, or Rosen will be available for your team. Even if a trade was offered. Sometimes, even for a MASSIVE offer that absolutely mortgages the future of the Franchise. 

3. No guarantee ANY of these guys will be any good. 

4. No guarantee the Jets will NEED a QB by then. What if the light-bulb goes on and Petty lights it up? What if Hack comes in and takes hold of the starting gig, proving HE is the guy.  

Frankly, there's a million different scenarios that make this kind of reasoning pointless.  

Right now, the Jets have 2 young QBs that they don't really know what they have in. I think Petty has shown, in the limited time he's gotten to play, that he is not the stud Franchise type of QB some may have hoped he could become. Doesn't mean he can't be a starter in this league some day. But you just don't see that when he plays (now in his second year)- IMHO. Which is, in part, why he was drafted in the 4th round.

We have seen almost nothing of Hack. So he is a much bigger mystery. He looks to have the higher ceiling and better upside. Which is, in part, why he went in the 2nd round. He had a true red shirt season. The Jets need to find out what they have in him and do their due diligence scouting QBs- b/c they may have the opportunity to draft the to QB prospect in the draft- even though it is a weak QB class. If they think they have something in Hack (and I DO believe that is exactly how they feel), they will not draft a QB, possibly at all in the draft. 

This seems all but inevitable to me.  

Romo or some big name vet.  It's how Woody operates.  He has to do something to sell tickets next season.  Just look at a thread here now about dumping season tickets.  If people here are discussing it (probably bigger fans than most), there probably will be many others giving up on the team as well.

I'm not saying bringing in a Romo is the smart move.  Just the likely one.

Regardless the team has to do something at QB.

Hack can't even play worthless games at the end of a pathetic season.  I still hope he can get better, but could be years away.

Petty given an opportunity didn't do much for his cause.

Doesn't sound like any draft options worth starting right away.

If anyone in the Jets organization mentions bringing back $hitz, I will begin practicing Voodoo and make it my life's mission to ruin not only their life, but at least three generations of their offspring as well.

My guess is Woody will figure, if healthy, there is no better option than Romo for a couple years as we continue to try and find a young QB.

Unless the Jets can pull a Payton/Brees trade.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The only reason to sign him (much like signing Fitz this year to that contract) is because management/ownership/HC are delusional and believe this team can compete at a high level and just missing the QB.  

That's what they thought coming into this season - but it's so clear right now that the talent level in awful - I truly have a hard time believing they haven't admitted to themselves that a full rebuild is required.  

I disagree. The talent surrounding Fitz this season (lets assume everyone was healthy) was more than adequate to compete. But Fitz simply showed his true colors and showed that last year (due to weak schedule or whatever) was a fluke. Fitz is not a very good QB. He is not very talented. He cannot take the offense on his shoulders and make the big plays when it matters. He is a savvy vet that has been successful in certain systems that play to his strength and has been considered mostly as a good vet backup.

Yes, other players let the team down as well (Revis, Skrine, Wilk?, Mauldin). And the coaching (particularly on defense) was not very good. But let's be real here. With Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Forte, Powell, and the young WRs, along with a vet O-line (yeah, I realize they are not one of the best), a talented QB would have probably led this team to the playoffs. Or at the very least a fight for the playoffs at the very end of the season.

Maybe this is about the team being delusional about Fitz' abilities. But this is not about the HC/GM etc., being delusional about the talent level and what this team would be capable of with a legit QB at the helm. Romo (if healthy), Brees, Rivers, Manning, Luck, Newton, Dalton, R.Wilson, Big Ben, Golden Boy, Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, etc. etc,. etc. Any one of these legitimately good QBs would have most likely led this team to the playoffs.       

That would be nice and a great signing. The only problems are his health we know the guy can play. You don't need a long term Qb, a few years with Tony is ok. The idea is to win now and with a true franchise Qb the talent we have now would play better (I hope). And a good opportunity for Tony playing with some good players in the NYC market. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Hack can't even play worthless games at the end of a pathetic season.  I still hope he can get better, but could be years away.

I don't think you can make the assumption that Hack can't play and is years away, lol, just b/c he is buried on the depth chart. I think the CS ad Jets brass made it VERY clear that they are committed to a red-shirt season for Hack. Just b/c we are not seeing him play in 'worthless games' at the end of a 'pathetic season' doesn't nec. represent how good or back Hack is or where he is in his development.

We will see, but I am confident Hack will get a shot to earn the starting gig next season. Personally, from what I have seen and heard of Hack as a student of the game with a high football IQ and great work ethic, I think he is far ahead of the learning curve, and considerably more prepared than what most Jet fans think.

So, you hope he can get better from what? The one pre-season game he played in after he was drafted? LOL Yes, I assure you he has improved since then.

I'm sure you think Hack is a bust and that is fine. Or maybe you don't, I dunno. But he is a young QB that the Jets value highly. And this matters because he figures in their future QB plans. So let's not assume anything about him until he gets a shot. Which he will. I find it ridiculous how so many fans are acting like this was some awful draft pick selected 3-4 years ago that never amounted to anything. They are already looking at the 2018 QB class. Its just dumb.         

Archived