Tank

dcJet

10 hours ago, dcJet said:

I've never, ever, ever...  let me repeat, ever... thought of tanking before in my fandom.

Eleven year season ticket holder here, gave them up in 1994 when I moved to DC, and I always value wins over draft position. 

Anyway, since you need a QB more than ever to win these days and since there's no repercussion for the shamefulness of tanking, (see Dolts, Luck and Bucs, Winston) I've changed my mind.

We are PERFECTLY set up to tank next year in a year worth tanking.   We have the owner away with his brother in charge as the no-nothing scapegoat.  We have two raw QB's to get experience.  We have old guys we can keep for one more year of geeziness.  We can cut 2 of our best players under the guise of chemistry.  It's a perfect time.

I saw the shamefulness of the last week of the 2014 season as the Bucs staff, up 14 points in the 4th qtr, pulled their defensive starters to keep the number one position and land Winston.  If you haven't seen that travesty, please go to nfl.com and watch the archive - it's as obvious as a Revis cushion on Sammy Watkins.

Let's make it obvious too, and force the NFL to make a tanking rule like the NBA does.  Lets do it.  Why not us for a change.

Dude how many years you been watching the Jets? :P  You know we going at least 8-8 or 9-7 next year.  Its the Jetsy thing to do when there are actualy homerun QBs at the top of the following years draft!  We only get top 10 picks when there are sh*tty QB drafts.  Just the Jets way.

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've been posting about it all day. I've like Darnold all year, but his performance as a freshmen, against a solid PSU Defense (I am a huge PSU fan), was insanely impressive. His tools are ideal for an NFL QB

1- Big arm,

2- Accurate

3-Great in the pocket when give time

4- Great thrower on the run

5- Can run for a 1st down

6- Starts off hot in a huge game (no nerves/no  fear)

7- Finishes off strong to win the Bowl after team had a melt down around him (clutch/leader). 

How can we not tank for this kid?? We have nothing else to play for next year. I don't even understand how other Jets fans don't see this. It's our one chance at a Manning/Elway/Brady/Luck. And you want to pass it up on the hopes we can sign a few high priced vets to go 9-7 and battle for a wild card in week 17 only to lose to the Browns????

I was equally impressed with Darnold,  he looked like an NFL vet.   But he's a freshman,  he might not declare.   He might be worth tanking two years in a row for though.   Let the tanking begin. 

1 minute ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

The browns have been trading their assets for future draft picks for the last 10 years. We need so much more than a QB anyways. But honestly, I would be more accepting than most if the Jets tried to tank. At least losing intentionally would be something new for them

Actually,  all we need is a QB. When you have a franchise QB like Manning/Brady/Ben etc you will win with guys like Marshall/Decker/Powell/Anderson/Enunwa. We won 5 games this year with ZERO QB. We would have probably won 10 games  with a great QB. Not because we were good, but because great QBs mask many flaws on your roster. Plus they lead and inspire everyone else to play better. Never underestimate the importance of a franchise QB. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually,  all we need is a QB. When you have a franchise QB like Manning/Brady/Ben etc you will win with guys like Marshall/Decker/Powell/Anderson/Enunwa. We won 5 games this year with ZERO QB. We would have probably won 10 games  with a great QB. Not because we were good, but because great QBs mask many flaws on your roster. Plus they lead and inspire everyone else to play better. Never underestimate the importance of a franchise QB. 

Yeah and I get that, the QB is the number one position for sustaining success. But there are only 4 or 5 qb's that give you that advantage. One QB like that only comes in the draft every 4 years or so. So its not like having a top pick leads to a good qb.

Philip Rivers hasn't been in the playoffs in a couple years. Luck now hasn't gotten in twice in a row. The Cowboys are winning w/o amazing play from their QB, Dolphins got in the playoffs, Alex Smith has a #2 seed.

AAron Rodgers, Big Ben, Brady, Dak and Russell Wilson were all drafted in positions where nobody would need to tank to draft him.

Say what you want. You trade Fitzy for Alex Smith and I'd bet the Jets would only win 1 more game. Our defense would still have been just as terrible as it was. Have you seen the jets defensive stats this year? 31 in yards against, 31st in sacks, 32nd in turnovers. Football is the ultimate team game

1 minute ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Yeah and I get that, the QB is the number one position for sustaining success. But there are only 4 or 5 qb's that give you that advantage. One QB like that only comes in the draft every 4 years or so. So its not like having a top pick leads to a good qb.

Philip Rivers hasn't been in the playoffs in a couple years. Luck now hasn't gotten in twice in a row. The Cowboys are winning w/o amazing play from their QB, Dolphins got in the playoffs, Alex Smith has a #2 seed.

AAron Rodgers, Big Ben, Brady, Dak and Russell Wilson were all drafted in positions where nobody would need to tank to draft him.

Say what you want. You trade Fitzy for Alex Smith and I'd bet the Jets would only win 1 more game. Our defense would still have been just as terrible as it was. Have you seen the jets defensive stats this year? 31 in yards against, 31st in sacks, 32nd in turnovers. Football is the ultimate team game

Yeah, I wouldn't advocate tanking for the next Alex Smith. Just because guys like Smith/Goff were top picks doesn't mean that teams were willing to tank for  those guys. Teams "settled" for those guys as they were the best QB "prospects" coming out of college. Sometimes that works (Wentz) sometimes it doesn't (Goff). Rarely do we have a guy like Darnold who is a sure thing. 

I have been a Jets fan for 35 years. I have never wanted  them to tank. This year is different. We have no prospects of success and I'd rather go 0-16 and get Darnold then go 7-9 and still searching for a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Only problem with tanking is Darnold could still stay in college for another year

Unlikely, but valid point. The good news is that there are couple of other QBs in the 2018 draft that could be franchise QBs also so it's not like we would be stuck drafting a CB with the 1st overall pick. 

14 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm all for it but you have a HC and GM who are working for their careers next season. Their short term personal goals are wildly inconsistent with the long term goals of the organization. Very Jetsy.

There's no way jets are tanking next year their careers are on the line

15 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm all for it but you have a HC and GM who are working for their careers next season. Their short term personal goals are wildly inconsistent with the long term goals of the organization. Very Jetsy.

Ding ding ding

This is why keeping Toilet was an awful idea. Now the GM and HC are tied together. A new HC would buy Mac 2 years and a proper rebuild. Now it's bandaid over a 3rd degree burn off-season all over again

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Unlikely, but valid point. The good news is that there are couple of other QBs in the 2018 draft that could be franchise QBs also so it's not like we would be stuck drafting a CB with the 1st overall pick. 

I would still take Lamar Jackson at 1.  90% Darnold would come out for the draft next year but the jets are such a dysfunctional organization with an inept owner and are a media punching bag I could see Darnold dodging us

Pretty sure that is why they retained Bowles. Pretty sure he will continue to win no more than half the games he did the year before. Draft O line and DBs this year, cut old slow expensive players, play young QBs and then draft Sam I am who loves green Jets and spam. So easy even a Woody can do it. 

40 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I hate when the Jets hang around in mediocrity, but I also don't feel like watching them not try... 

Going with youngsters doesn't mean your not trying. We got blown out like 6 times this year! The Cowboys TRIED in Aikmans 1st year, they just weren't good enough to close out games.

If the Jets don't sign a veteran QB we won't have to TANK, we just might get in the top 3 picks next year. Did you take a look at our schedule? Falcons will put up over 40 easy on us next year. At Oakland? Lol, Pats = 2 losses, at Denver,loss, KC? Loss, vs Cam Newton? Loss, Jags, loss, @ Tampa? Loss, at New Orleans? Loss,lol, we have to score at least 42, at Browns? Loss, no way in hell Browns lose at home to Jets 2 years in a row, split with Bills & Fins?

I see 3-13 maybe 4-12 with our schedule. Based on the offenses we'll play, no way we keep up. Panthers, Raiders, Pats, Bucs, Falcons, Saints, no way we beat these defenses, Broncos, Chiefs.

Browns have a better coach & 100 million to spend + ton of draft picks. I see Tyrod going there with Coleman, Pryor, good luck to Jets on the road there next year. 

Jaguars have a lot of talent & a new coaching staff coming in. Toss up. Are we any better than the Chargers? Bosa could kill our QB. Anyone that can honestly look at our schedule & have high hopes with Bowles coming back & keeping Rogers as our DC is a true optimist. Jets will most definitely be viewed as wins by opposing fans looking at their schedules. I think it's a forgone conclusion Jets will be in the drivers seat for a stud QB in 2018 & because of that Coach that will want to come to NY with Brady going on 42 years of age. Have patience, just 1 more year.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

there are so many teams in need of a QB, and a draft that has no answers, the league has really screwed itself.  

They put all the emphasis on one position

Man, this is so true.  Used to be you could win with a good team and average QB play. Now, it's a league of haves and have-nots. 

I would like to see the league roll back some of these rules.  Like make illegal contact 10 yards to give the defense a chance, and call all the freakin offensive pass interference and picks that happens on every pass play.

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Man, this is so true.  Used to be you could win with a good team and average QB play. Now, it's a league of haves and have-nots. 

I would like to see the league roll back some of these rules.  Like make illegal contact 10 yards to give the defense a chance, and call all the freakin offensive pass interference and picks that happens on every pass play.

The pick plays are ridiculous! Pats have turned it into an art form, can't blame them, BB is an amazing coach & will take advantage of every minute rule or exception to the rule. I think he was the 1st coach to figure out they won't call as much holding in the playoffs or Super Bowl. Go back & watch the Pats march to the Super Bowl in 2001.

Then watch the Pats vs Rams. You will be absolutely SHOCKED how much holding, grabbing, and hitting guys after the ball had already passed them or literally taking shot at them when they were already on the ground. Its a thing of beauty or disgust depending on who you were rooting for. They were gang tackling Faulk & literally trying to hurt him, guys coming in late after he was wrapped up, stuff that would NO WAY be allowed in todays NFL. Its pretty interesting & one of the reasons BB is dispised by a lot of the NFL although highly respected at the same time.

What the NFL has become is really sad. This league used to be about building a true team, where there were more ways to skin a cat (QB passing finesse team, power run defensive team, etc). Now its all about the QB's. Which basicslly makes this league the NBA, relying on a handful of stars. 

Yes the Broncos won it with their defense and a half alive Payton Manning. Exceptions to the rule, bu the rule still rules the land. If you dont have a QB, you arent winning it all. You wont see anymore Brad Johsons, Trent Dilfers, Jeff Hostelers, and Doug Williams anymore.

15 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I'll get roasted for this probably but I'd actually like to see them use the college rules for pass interference.  15 yards and a 1st down, get rid of these ridiculously long plays via cheesy pi calls all the time.

Its not even tanking, its just the smart approach to take. This team has holes all over, blown out numerous times all season. Gathering young talent and trying to develop them for the future is the correct move to make over blowing our load on aging vets , knowing damn well we arent winning the division or making the playoffs next year. Idzik sucked but put the next GM in a great position and Macc blew it with a bunch of horrible signings and 2 years later we are back with the 6 pick, lack of young talent, aging overpaid vets and no QB in sight. We've gone nowhere...back to square one. 

Macc and Bowles jobs are on the line so their agendas dont fit the long term goals. We should be trying to sell off any aging player we can and gather as many picks as we can and rebuilding it from scratch. Signing guys like Romo is just selling false hope to naive fans. Start the young guys and rebuild properly. If that means 2 years picking within the top 3 so be it

Your the second person to say that and be wrong. I don't recall anyone saying they should tank for Watson. Some people projected him as the best QB, but no one was saying he was a lock and that teams should tank for him. In fact, during this entire season I never heard anything about the Browns or the NIners tanking for Watson. 
Every year, there is a guy that people project to be the 1st QB taken. That is different than the hype that surrounded Luck and now Darnold. You are just confused between the two concepts. 
Some of you guys create your own reality to make your points. 

I ABSOLUTELY recall the tank for Watson posts before the season last year, before Fitz started playing well for us. You may not recall, but I vividly do. Hell I didn't even know who the hell he was before those threads.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll get roasted for this probably but I'd actually like to see them use the college rules for pass interference.  15 yards and a 1st down, get rid of these ridiculously long plays via cheesy pi calls all the time.

Problem is then you're going to see receivers get mugged on every deep pass play. Most of the long holding calls happen when the DB is beat and is trying to prevent a TD, if the rule is 15 yards and not the spot then you can expect to see a lot more flags

Ding ding ding

This is why keeping Toilet was an awful idea. Now the GM and HC are tied together. A new HC would buy Mac 2 years and a proper rebuild. Now it's bandaid over a 3rd degree burn off-season all over again

How about canning your Toilet nonsense, Meccrap.

Unlike you, some of us here are Jet fans who root for our team

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I ABSOLUTELY recall the tank for Watson posts before the season last year, before Fitz started playing well for us. You may not recall, but I vividly do. Hell I didn't even know who the hell he was before those threads.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I wasn't referring to knucklehead posters in this forum. I'm talking about scouts, NFL executives etc.. With the elite prospects like luck there is consensus from early on. That wasn't the case with Watson. Ever.

You'll be seeing a ton of guys start coming out suggesting darnold is the next luck. Maybe better. 

Archived