Would Rex Ryan return to the Jets? 'I'll never say never"

joewilly12

Would Rex Ryan return to the Jets? ‘I’ll never say never’ 

Rex Ryan on his NFL future: I’m ‘tired of getting f--ked'
NY Daily News

Autoplay: On | Off

Rex Ryan's TV gig begins in earnest on Super Bowl Sunday, but the place that gave him his first chance to shine as a head coach has never been far from his mind.

Somewhere in the stranger-things-have-happened department lies this tantalizing thought: Could Rex have a second act with the Jets?

"I'm definitely never going to say never on that one," Ryan told the Daily News in a wide-ranging interview on Monday night, his first since getting fired by the Bills before the season finale more than a month ago. "I love New York. I do. I love the people. I got a ton of friends — lifelong friends-in that organization. I'll never say never. I don't know in what capacity, but I'll leave that open for sure."

Ryan, who went 50-52 in six seasons with the Jets, has more playoff wins (four) than any coach in franchise history. He went to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons before missing the playoffs in his final four.

Rex Ryan on his NFL future: I’m ‘tired of getting f--ked'

Organizational discord with former train-wreck general manager John Idzik ultimately cost Ryan his job, but could the man who once breathed life into this star-crossed franchise get another shot?

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Rex Ryan experienced a great deal of success early in his tenure with the Jets, but he also weathered controversies, scandals and scrutiny in a six-year run that was never boring.

(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Todd Bowles deserves a fair chance to get the Jets back on track after a forgettable 5-11 campaign, but there's no telling what Woody Johnson, who'll have his eyes on his billion-dollar baby from across the pond while serving as the U.S. ambassador to the U.K., will do after the 2017 season.

Could Rex re-emerge? His relationship with Johnson has always been rock solid even after the Jets' 4-12 2014 season prompted an organizational house-cleaning.

"They had to fire me," Ryan said. "I won four games. It's as simple as that regardless of whether we had $40 million or whatever under the cap. It felt like $70 million under the cap. So, I get it. I walked out of there with my head up and I understood. But that wasn't easy for Woody. That wasn't easy for anybody. When you go 4-12, you're going to get fired. And I knew that."

Rex Ryan signs with ESPN for Super Bowl Sunday show 

"I liked Woody and his family," Ryan continued. "(Woody's younger brother) Chris Johnson now will have a bigger role with that team. I'm telling you, they're good people. They mean well. They want to win too. Woody wanted to spend money. Woody wanted to spend every damn penny of (the money under the salary cap) and yet we saved it."

Ryan's disdain for Idzik was warranted given that the GM sat on a pile of loot rather than try to actually help his coach, you know, win games, but he maintained that "I wish the Jets luck." (His take on the Bills: "I don't wish them good luck.")

"I had six years there and I enjoyed every one of them," Ryan said of the Jets. "I know I was supported. It might not have been 100 percent support throughout the organization (see: Idzik). But it was probably 99 percent. So, that was awesome. I love that support that we got. It felt like a family."

"I loved the fans too," Ryan added. "The fans were awesome. They never stopped supporting me when I was in New York even when it was a disaster (of a) season. I still felt the support of the fans. That's an unbelievable feeling. That's what was so painful. I felt like I let them down. When we went 4-12, I wanted to win so damn bad for them."

How Jets’ Todd Bowles can avoid suffering same fate as Rex Ryan

Ryan went 8-8 and 7-8 in his two seasons in Buffalo even though you would have thought that he had gone 0-31 based on some of the media coverage. Ryan, fired five days before the Bills faced the Jets in Week 17, had a roster ravaged by injuries.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Rex Ryan made sure that he won the daily battle for the back page, but, ultimately, wins on the field — or a lack thereof — forced Woody Johnson to fire Ryan.

(ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

"The reality of it is that sometimes they happen," Ryan said of the injuries. "How different were the Jets when they lost Eric Decker? That team looked like a hell of a football team in Week 2 when they kicked the s--t out of us. As soon as Decker went down, that whole team went down. So, that's part of it."

Although Ryan said that he "enjoyed my time" in Buffalo, it was "night and day different" from his experience with the New York/New Jersey area when he was with the Jets.

"I love New York," said Ryan, who was recently back in the area. "There's some people, who for whatever reason, don't like New York, but I'm not one of them. I love New York and I love the people of New York … and I missed it. I'm on the streets going to restaurants and it was great. It's like I never left."

NFL stars, fans react to Rex and Rob Ryan being fired by Bills

Ryan will be a panelist on ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown this weekend, breaking down the Patriots-Falcons matchup. He said that he'd like to explore different roles in television for at least a year to figure out whether he actually likes it.

Rex Ryan’s final two seasons with the Jets were undermined by John Idzik and the GM’s flawed approach to team-building.

Rex Ryan’s final two seasons with the Jets were undermined by John Idzik and the GM’s flawed approach to team-building.

(ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

But will he scratch his coaching itch when he gets it?

Can he go home again like Billy Martin did all those times with George Steinbrenner's Yankees?

"That worked out. … And if we bring in Reggie Jackson, then let's go for it," Ryan said with a laugh. "You never know. I've never heard of that happening, but who knows? That's what's so weird about what's in front of me down the road in terms of coaching. Look, I love coaching to the day I left, whether it was with the Jets or whether it was with the Bills. I love it. It's something that I enjoyed big-time, but we'll see how this (TV job) is. I'm going to give this an opportunity here. I'm going to put everything I have into it and enjoy it."

I wouldn't mind him back if he came back as a defensive coordinator.  That's where he really shined and honestly with Kevin Greene and Rex Ryan that's quite a pair... course he signed that dumb TV contract... but I think that would be an improvement...

3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

If he were ever hired as the HC again, I think you'd find at least a few members of Jetnation dangling from there ceiling fans via ropes around their necks (not that Bowles doesn't want to make us do that already). 

Most members of JetNation are too fat to hang from a ceiling fan. It's kinda our thing

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If only we could be so lucky.  Should have never let him go to begin with.

Jif, please, please, please tell me you will never get married.

You are too nice of a guy to get abused like that and to just take it over and over again. One intimate night makes you want  to hold on to a mirage and sham.

I plead you.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to this. Rex has proven he can win in this league, as long as he has a strong GM, OC, DC, OL coach, DL coach, DB coach, LB coach, WR coach, QBs coach, RBs coach, and quality control assistant, and also a franchise QB, stud WR, a couple of legit pass-rushers, a great offensive line, and a talented secondary, and also he doesn't ever have to play the Patriots, and also the media and fans and officials aren't conspiring against him. Guy's a winner.

23 hours ago, rangerous said:

one thing about rex, he certainly knew how to get the fans excited.  and he was also genuine in his like for the jets.  the team was in his blood.

Yup.  For now it's just a fun offseason discussion.  If Bowles doesn't improve though, come next year this time, things could get interesting.

The most success the team has had in my lifetime has been with Rex as coach.  And it was damn fun too.

Mehta knows next to nothing about football. Only his supposed journalistic skills are worse. Recall after claiming someone in Revis's posse/entourage/family said he was done with football, Mehta never asked Revis a single question about that despite being in the Jets lockerroom the next day. Now Revis had an awful season, but that doesn't mean it's okay to make stuff up. But it's the Daily News; they think Shaun King is a black guy, so actual journalism is not required.

Put a 6 pack of cheap domestic swill and a microphone in front of Rex Ryan and the stories write themselves. Rex also told him he would like to win the lottery, take up surfing and be appointed benevolent dictator for life of Key West, but the editor thought it might clue the readers into the ridiculousness of this enterprise. And plus the Daily News' budget stopped at a 6 pack.  But little Manish got to feel like a big boy for a day and survived  until they buy him out for good. 

Rex Ryan is a fraud. 

14 hours ago, j4jets said:

He can coach from the TV booth better than Bowles can standing across from you. 

Like being the best basketball player amongst a tribe of 4 foot pygmies and Manish Mehta. Your point is...? 

Archived