Jets Free Agent Targets????

slowmoe57

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

With one month to go until the NFL free-agent signing period opens on March 9, the Jets have some work to do. They have to make several cuts and restructure several contracts just to get under the 2017 salary cap, which figures to be somewhere around $168 million.

How active they'll be in free agency depends on how much cap room they're able to clear. It also depends on how much -- if anything -- they devote to finding a starting quarterback on the free-agent market.

So stay tuned for more on that. For now, though, here is the first installment of SNY's weekly look at five free agents the Jets might -- and probably should -- consider if they have money to spend and if the price is right:

QB Mike Glennon (Bucs) - The free-agent market for quarterbacks isn't great and, thanks to Brock Osweiler's deal with Houston last offseason (four years, $72 million, $37 million guaranteed) it's likely to be overpriced. The 27-year-old Glennon might be the best of the bunch, though. A former third-round pick and former starter in Tampa, he's got a strong arm and was decent in his season-and-a-half at the Bucs' helm. Jets head coach Todd Bowles loves his potential, according to a team source, and GM Mike Maccagnan inquired about trading for him two years ago before the Jets got Ryan Fitzpatrick. If there's a bidding war, the Jets might not have enough cap room. But if they do clear enough room to go the free agent route this is the most likely quarterback they'll pursue.

CB Stephon Gilmore (Bills) - If the Jets don't use all of their cap room on a QB, they might use it at this position to begin to shore up a secondary that was a mess last season and to replace Darrelle Revis, who will likely either be released or moved to safety next season. The 26-year-old Gilmore is the best corner on the market, coming off his first Pro Bowl and a five-interception season. The market for top corners is expensive -- just ask the Giants, who signed Janoris Jenkins to a five-year, $62.5 million deal (with $28.8 million guaranteed) last March. It sounds like the Bills want him back, but Gilmore has sent signals that he intends to look around, explore his options and see what his value is around the league.

TE Martellus Bennett (Patriots) - Let's assume that John Morton, the Jets' new offensive coordinator, plans to run an offense that includes tight ends. If that's the case, the Jets need one. Bennett is a good blocker and receiver and he might be affordable because he'll be 30 years old in early-March and likely won't command a long-term deal -- certainly nothing like the four-year, $20 million deal he got in 2013 when the Bears stole him from the Giants. He's just two years removed from a 90-catch season, and last year he caught 55 passes for 701 yards and seven touchdowns even though he spent about half the season as the second tight end behind Rob Gronkowski in New England. He also loves the New York spotlight and just won a Super Bowl, so maybe he wouldn't mind coming back to be part of a (hopefully) short-term rebuilding job.

LB Chandler Jones (Cardinals) - One big reason for the demise of the Jets' defense this past season was their struggles in the pass rush. They also didn't really have the right personnel for their 3-4 scheme, as evidenced by how often they lined Sheldon Richardson up like a linebacker. The solution to that, of course, would be to add an actual pass-rushing, 3-4 linebacker, and Jones is one of the best available (assuming the Cards let him hit free agency). He's had 23 ½ sacks in his last three seasons and the idea of him coming off the edge with Mo Wilkerson or Leonard Williams in front of him is frightening. His presence also could free up the Jets to trade Richardson, who might bring a couple of decent draft picks in return.

WR Michael Floyd (Patriots) - If the Jets decide to move on from Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall, they have a talented trio of young receivers, but do any of them have breakout, No. 1 receiver potential? It's hard to say. Floyd, once the 13th overall pick in in the 2012 draft, has that potential and is a big target (6-2, 220) on the outside. Of course, he's never lived up to that potential and he comes with baggage, including a DUI arrest that got him cut by the Cardinals in December (he was claimed off waivers by the Pats). He'll come cheap so maybe he's worth a flier. Also, Bowles was an assistant in Arizona for two of Floyd's five seasons there, including his career-best 2013 campaign (63 catches, 1,041 yards, five touchdowns). So he knows what Floyd can do, and the issues he brings along with him.

I'd take ASJ over Bennett. Cheaper and I think he has more potential. Michael Floyd sucks he's overrated and we're set at wr. I'm all over Stephon Gilmore and would also like to see us go after Trumaine Johnson we should have the cap to sign them both and fortify the cb position for he next 3-5 years. Jones would be awesome to have too.

Not a single 1 of these free agents interest me in the least .  When you're rebuilding a team, it's counter productive to drop big contracts only to go out and take on even bigger contracts unless the players you are adding are of the all-pro caliber .

I could see the Jets going after one high profile player and then trying to find value in some of the guys lower on the free agents list.  Carpenter was not the highlight of the guard group in 2015, neither was Gilchrist but both came at a value and has stuck around on the team.  Last year, signing both Forte and Powell vs instead of going after Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson, etc worked out okay. McLendon also came as a value signing and was not nearly a highly sort after DT.  

An interesting trend from the two years so far, the Jets signed a bunch of players early in the free agency period from the same group.  In 2015, Skrine, Revis and Cromartie were are signed by the 3rd day of free agency.  In 2016, the Jets signed Forte, Powell and Robinson within the first 3 days of free agency.  

Last trend, which may be just what NFL teams do in general, but signing a bunch of 1 year "prove-it" contracts.  Some recent signings that come to mind are Kellen Davis, Ben Ijalana (2 years in a row), Erin Henderson (2015), Daryl Morris, Khiry Robinson, Bruce Carter.

47 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Not a single 1 of these free agents interest me in the least .  When you're rebuilding a team, it's counter productive to drop big contracts only to go out and take on even bigger contracts unless the players you are adding are of the all-pro caliber .

that certainly has to be a huge concern.  the key for the jets is to use contracts that have short term outs so they can bring their draft picks into play.  but that doesn't mean you gdon't et a free agent who will play at a high level for 5 or so seasons to take care of critical positions.

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that certainly has to be a huge concern.  the key for the jets is to use contracts that have short term outs so they can bring their draft picks into play.  but that doesn't mean you gdon't et a free agent who will play at a high level for 5 or so seasons to take care of critical positions.

Show me the OT/ CB comparable to Carpenter and we will talk contract ?  Otherwise, I'm spending my money on young guys who have talent but hasn't had a real chance yet because of the vet they sit behind .

1 hour ago, gqxluvx said:

They need to improve the O line.  O line should be targets in free agency

This could be a unit they target heavily in free agency, if they cut Clady, Mangold, Giacomini.  It would free up $22M.  Ricky Wagner (27 years old), Matt Kalil(27), Mike Remmers (27) and Riley Reiff (28) could top the list of tackles but also Mike Adams(26), Austin Pasztor(26), Jordan Mills(26), and Marshall Newhouse(28) could be targets of value.  At center they could perhaps target J.C. Tretter (26) or they could get value from a guy like Joe Hawley (28), Brian Schwenke(25) or Stefen Wisniewski(28).  

9 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

This could be a unit they target heavily in free agency, if they cut Clady, Mangold, Giacomini.  It would free up $22M.  Ricky Wagner (27 years old), Matt Kalil(27), Mike Remmers (27) and Riley Reiff (28) could top the list of tackles but also Mike Adams(26), Austin Pasztor(26), Jordan Mills(26), and Marshall Newhouse(28) could be targets of value.  At center they could perhaps target J.C. Tretter (26) or they could get value from a guy like Joe Hawley (28), Brian Schwenke(25) or Stefen Wisniewski(28).  

I could have an Interest in Matt Kalil  at the right price .

Offensive line, offensive line, and some more offensive line.  

The draft is loaded with corners and TEs.  

You go into the season with Petty/Hackenberg (and token veteran) and you sink or swim with your young QB.  Either they step up and you have the QB of the future.  Or you tank for one of the deepest QB draft classes in recent memory.  I think the idea of getting stop gap options like Cutler is useless for us because we aren't really going anywhere other than a pick in the 10-15 range.   

For once, the Jets are actually set up for a rebuild where we can use the draft perfectly.  I remain patient on QB, bring in CB, RB, TE in this draft and go from there.  

They need offensive line help because it was a horrible line.  The stats don't point it out because most of the time Fitzpatrick threw to his double covered first read before the defensive end could even run straight to the QB.  

6 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

WR Michael Floyd (Patriots) - If the Jets decide to move on from Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall, they have a talented trio of young receivers, but do any of them have breakout, No. 1 receiver potential? It's hard to say. Floyd, once the 13th overall pick in in the 2012 draft, has that potential and is a big target (6-2, 220) on the outside. Of course, he's never lived up to that potential and he comes with baggage, including a DUI arrest that got him cut by the Cardinals in December (he was claimed off waivers by the Pats). He'll come cheap so maybe he's worth a flier. Also, Bowles was an assistant in Arizona for two of Floyd's five seasons there, including his career-best 2013 campaign (63 catches, 1,041 yards, five touchdowns). So he knows what Floyd can do, and the issues he brings along with him.

Nope...

1 minute ago, NYDreamer said:

Cleveland has over 100 million in cap space.  I personally don't think we will be winning any bid against them.  I personally want the Jets to add players through the draft this year, not spend a ton of money and let them build the team up this year.

I agree with this, but who knows who Cleveland wants to buy.  I do think though that if the Browns are picking 1 and 12 and playing moneyball, I don't know if they are bidding for Glennon.  I could be wrong.

There are really 4 drafts-

1-New players

2-Your current players when their contracts expire

3-FA players off of the first contracts

4-Fill in the gap players if you are competing.

5-the negative draft-who you cut when not worth it.

On 4, the Jets are rebuilding.  Hopefully they don't sign any.  These are the Forte and Revis signings that backfired, among others.

On 1, I leave it to Mac, but I prefer BAP, within reason, understanding that the Jets have some serious needs at LT, CB (2+), S (2+).

On 2, we signed Winters.  Then fill in.

On 5, I am a proponent of cutting veterans who are basically declining when in doubt, particularly if they free up cap room.  So if the Jets do free up cap room....

Which brings us to 3-here I would try and sign an LT, CB, S (Jefferson) and maybe Glennon at QB.  Yes, that will cost alot of money, but hopefully they can free alot of money.  I think they are better off freeing money and signing players like this, and then draft and sign filler, than stick with what they have.

In this draft, they are likely not drafting an LT that can start, even if they draft a CB they could use another good one, same thing with S (Gilcrist and Pryor could both go), and even if they draft a QB, they have a starter and backup.

So for a team that is rebuilding, I support trying to find Carpenter-like players in the second draft than sifting for second tier players.

No Fraud Agency.  90% of flashy signings are essentially overpaying for a JAG.

Versatile, fringe-starter caliber offensive lineman is priority one.  Guys that can play more than one position are preferred.

Some other positions are OK.  But only high character fringe-starters for depth and special teams. 

NO. BIG. NAMES. PERIOD.

Archived