Are the Jets going to be worse than last year?

UnitedWhofans

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets have a long term vison in mind, they will be worse then last year and end up with 2-3 wins.

If they go short sighted like they always do, they can scrap together 6 or 7 wins and be forever mediocre.

Whose long term vision would that be if a record like that resulted in both the HC and GM getting fired  ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, section314 said:

I kind of think that's what he is saying by the fact that Bowles fired Gailey and Patullo so quickly. It seems obvious they were not willing to work with the young guys and speed up their progress. If I'm correct, this is a positive, one of the few in Woody's sordid tenure here.

Larry David for OC!!!!

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

How can they be worse than last year though?

If they stay away from high priced free agents, if they go with a young qb core, build through the draft and trim the fat off the roster, they will be worse record wise next year.  

Our future will be much brighter though.

I don't anticipate having a worse season than last year. I think we'll get a lot better through free agency + add a lot of premier talent at the top of every round.

Who is playing quarterback obviously will determine everything, but things went as bad as they could possibly go this season and we landed at 5 wins. I see us as an 8-8 team next season and a fringe playoff contender until the final weeks of the season. I think Bowles will get better production out of the DL and Maccagnan will improve the DB unit dramatically in the next few months.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:40 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets have a long term vison in mind, they will be worse then last year and end up with 2-3 wins.

If they go short sighted like they always do, they can scrap together 6 or 7 wins and be forever mediocre.

The NY Jets or any other team run by professionals try to win every week. 

On 2/13/2017 at 10:25 AM, Freemanm said:

No, Kotite actually sucked as a head coach. Parcells came in '97 and won nine games with pretty much the same team that went 1-15 the year before under Kotite. 

Parcells actually turned over half the roster between 1996 and 1997. It was a pretty different team, although Parcells clearly got more out of many of the key figures, especially on defense.

The root problem is 2015's cakewalk schedule created the illusion that many people were better at their jobs than they actually are and Bowles is the prime example.

A HC has to connect with players. After hearing his unintelligible "It's not the effort, it's the concern" derelict ghettobonics I don't see how anyone can follow his program.

Or that he has one.

I believe half the team stopped listening last year, the rest will tune him out this year. Yes, it's going to get worse. 

Doesn't matter what great players they add, nobody will recognize them in a Jets uniform.

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Parcells actually turned over half the roster between 1996 and 1997. It was a pretty different team, although Parcells clearly got more out of many of the key figures, especially on defense.

the foundation was here, he did add a few pieces but he inherited:

Chrebet

Murrell

Brady

Jumbo

Keyshawn

O'Donnell

O'Dwyer

Williams

Mo Marvin

Glenn

Douglas

Green

Anderson

Baxter

Cascadden

Coleman

Hamilton

Mickens

in addition to inheriting the #! OVERALL PICK.  BP walked into the perfect situation, loads of young talent, #1 pick, no pressure to win right away.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

The root problem is 2015's cakewalk schedule created the illusion that many people were better at their jobs than they actually are and Bowles is the prime example.

A HC has to connect with players. After hearing his unintelligible "It's not the effort, it's the concern" derelict ghettobonics I don't see how anyone can follow his program.

Or that he has one.

I believe half the team stopped listening last year, the rest will tune him out this year. Yes, it's going to get worse. 

Doesn't matter what great players they add, nobody will recognize them in a Jets uniform.

our schedule was not difficult in 2016, while the easy sched helped in 2015 if we played the same way in '16 as '15 we make the playoffs.

19 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't anticipate having a worse season than last year. I think we'll get a lot better through free agency + add a lot of premier talent at the top of every round.

Who is playing quarterback obviously will determine everything, but things went as bad as they could possibly go this season and we landed at 5 wins. I see us as an 8-8 team next season and a fringe playoff contender until the final weeks of the season. I think Bowles will get better production out of the DL and Maccagnan will improve the DB unit dramatically in the next few months.

I agree with you. Things are always overblown in the NFL, everything is microanalyzed. Bowles & Macc obviously aren't idiots and realize the secondary was in shambles last year. Revis was terrible & Burris was a rookie, plus we were breaking in 2 rookie LBs, David Harris was continually getting picked on because Bowles had no alternatives with the injuries we had and Henderson falling off the cliff.

There is no doubt in my mind that with some of the assistant coaching changes on defense and with another draft & free agency, the defense could do a complete turnaround. What if Macc signs either Gilmore or Bouye (my choice). If he can sign one of them to take over Revis (didn't even make any rankings in 2016, that's how badly he played), and someone like Malik Hooker falls to us at 6, it literally could change everything about the Jets defense in 2017. Not as much would be asked of Williams, Skrine, Roberts or Pryor and they can fill the roles that best suit their particular talents.

The Dline will be better, just based on Leo being a freaking beast & Mo having an offseason to come in completely healthy after having a full camp. If we can't trade Richardson, he plays out his contract, playing for a contract! Don't dismiss what 2017 would mean to Sheldons financial future. He may be stupid but his agent will be reminding him this may be his only big contract of his career. 

The young LBs come into camp with a lot more confidence, tape to work on their game and hopefully a revamped secondary behind them that allows them to make a few more plays. Call me crazy but with just some tweaks in personel and the coaching staff, I think the NY Jets defense could be pretty good and develop into really good if they can stay healthy.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the foundation was here, he did add a few pieces but he inherited:

Chrebet

Murrell

Brady

Jumbo

Keyshawn

O'Donnell

O'Dwyer

Williams

Mo Marvin

Glenn

Douglas

Green

Anderson

Baxter

Cascadden

Coleman

Hamilton

Mickens

in addition to inheriting the #! OVERALL PICK.  BP walked into the perfect situation, loads of young talent, #1 pick, no pressure to win right away.

I mean I stand by my statement. He overturned half the roster -- 26 of 53 guys were new. Sure, he kept all the guys who didn't suck, including guys like Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, etc. but the notion that he "won with the same team that went 1-15" isn't accurate. There was huge overturn -- I'm pretty sure the overturn between 96 and 98 was even more insane.

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean I stand by my statement. He overturned half the roster -- 26 of 53 guys were new. Sure, he kept all the guys who didn't suck, including guys like Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, etc. but the notion that he "won with the same team that went 1-15" isn't accurate. There was huge overturn -- I'm pretty sure the overturn between 96 and 98 was even more insane.

he inherited a ton of young talent, ever roster changes over a lot from year to year especially when new regime comes in but he inherited a ton of talent AND the #1 pick.  all time great HC, mediocre GM type.

4 pages and no one has looked at the schedule.  Will they ever learn?
HOME:
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills
AWAY:
Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Bucs
Denver Broncos
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills
So where do we begin.  Hmm. 
5 games against the last 4 Super Bowl opponents including both Champions on the road. 
7 games against 2016 playoff teams.
11 games against teams with bonafide franchise quarterbacks at the very moment our secondary is in shambles.
Hey, but we have 2 games against the Bills and 1 game against the Browns.
2-14 seems right to me.
SAR I

Add to that no QB and a dead man walking at HC. I predict Locker Room infighting by week 3 and 2 wins on the year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Looking at the set of opponents for 2017, 3-13 seems reasonable to me.  I think they beat Jacksonville and Cleveland, and split with Buffalo.  Every other game looks like a loss.

we have no idea who will be good and bad, the last time we faced the Falcons in 2013 we thought a sure loss b/c they were coming off a home loss in the NFC Championship Game and they turned out to be mediocre and we beat them.  last year we all heard about our tough sched, our sched wasn't very tough we just sucked.

jets will be terrible next year-maybe kotite bad 1-15 would not be a surprise

we have a terrible coach a terrible gm and lazy/over rated players

I hope Woody read my survey results that the jets sent me(I am sure he did not and probably nobody does either)

I would love to go back in time and un sign my psl contracts and have my money back-the browns fans will be laughing at us this year as they have better people in place, more cap money and draft picks galore

I haven't felt this pessimistic about an upcoming season for a long time.  There are just too many holes to fill and not enough Cap space or draft picks to produce a playoff team next year.  When you throw in a brand new offensive system and a defense that was (in my opinion) horrible given the talent on the team last year, it is hard to be positive about the upcoming season.  The fact the Kacy Rodgers wasn't fired is a joke.  I've never seen a team make the same mistakes week after week and not have the coach/s fired at the end of the year.  I went back and rewatched our 41-3 pounding by the Patriots and still cannot believe that heads didn't roll.  

I do think that if Mac pulls off the off season of his life, maybe, just maybe we have a chance at a winning season....not a playoff birth mind you, but perhaps 9-7.  If we only get an average off season, I can easily see us at 5-11 or worse. 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I had them winning 7 games last year so 8-8 is not really a "YAY lets go for it record"

I use the term "overachieve" lightly. Knowing us 8-8 may have people believing we're a few pieces away from being serious contenders. 

5 hours ago, August said:

We might "overachieve" with an 8-8 record, then in the following offseason we spend money galore on players because we thought we were close only to go 4-12, 5-11. Rinse and repeat. 

If we don't sign a veteran QB we could have a really bad season next year, go 2-14 and still miss out on both Darnold and Lamar Jackson because the 49ers and Browns both go 1-15

Archived