Nick Mangold Released: MERGED

choon328

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A great Jet. Sucks it ends this way.

I'll always rock his P.C. Richard bobble-head.  I wish him good health and all the best. Please don't be a Cheat by Monday 6 a.m. because I might change my mind.

I didn't read through the thread, but my guess is that he's truly gone and won't be re-signed on a lesser deal. Fields and Sweeney had similar careers here time-wise. All good things must come to an end. Thanks, Nick. Be well in all you do. 

Mangold is in the "favorite" Jets category so sad to see him go, but it was the right move. The Jets really need to embrace an almost Cleveland Brown like rebuild. We should be one of the youngest teams if not THE youngest next year. Dump Revis. Try and trade Decker, Marshall, Richardson and possibly even Mo. Move on from Harris, Try and have 20 picks over next couple years. The only place I would spend any GA money is on OL to protect whatever YOUNG QB we start. We need foundational players, and a hoard of cap space for future years as we grow the team organically. 

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Revis is still a Jet because we don't have the cap room to cut him until the new league year opens 3/1.  His $2M roster bonus is due 3/3.  So he'll be cut on Weds or Thursday.

March 9

End of 2016 league year

1. 2016 league year ends at 3:59:59 p.m. ET.

First day of 2017 league year

1. The 2017 league year, free agency and trading period all begin at 4 p.m. ET.

2. The top-51 salary cap calculation begins. Only the top 51 salaries (i.e.; cap numbers), including unsigned franchise, transition, restricted free agent and exclusive rights tenders, on a team count against the salary cap during the offseason. All teams must be under the salary cap prior to 4 p.m. ET.

March 10

Second day of 2017 league year

1. Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is due a $2 million roster bonus. If the Jets are going to release Revis, it will probably occur before this date since $6 million of his $13 million base salary is already fully guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-2017-nfl-offseason-key-dates-and-what-they-mean-for-your-team/

Couldn't get on line yesterday to post.  I'd like to thank Nick Mangold for his 11 years of Jets service.  Well done Nick and I wish the best of success to you in your next stop.  Thank you for being a great NY Jet.  You will be missed.  

Mangold_Nick.jpg

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

Dirty secret about center is it's understood as DL guys got bigger and faster, the refs, coaches and the players pretty much agreed they had to let centers hold if not egregiously  some or they would get killed. Both guys are very good. Mawae could pull faster than Mangold, but Mawae might be one of the best at that ever, so that's no shame. Jets were lucky to have two of the best at center for going on 2 decades plus.

The guys directly behind them, well....

Too bad we didn't have that same luck with the guy behind him

Agreed but I doubt that's the case. You don't bring in a GM, try to win for two years and the start over with the same guy. 
I'm suspecting some half a$$ed rebuild where we cut bait on some high priced vets but at the same time bring in some younger vets in free agency. 
We'll know for sure when the QB situation is settled. A true rebuild would not include Glennon, let alone Romo. We'd stick with hack and Petty and maybe draft another kid this year with the extra 3rd round comp pick.

Either way, thanks to Mangold. A true jet. 

Have to disagree, I see no reason Glennon cannot be a big part of a rebuild. I am still hopeful but we have seen nothing from Hack and have heard too many bad things already about this kid. What little we have seen from Petty suggests he also has a way to go. I certainly am not ready to give up on either one, yet, if Glennon comes in and plays the way many of us expect, he will be with us much longer them many of you are expecting or hoping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So, is Revis still a Jet?

So we clearly aren't a meritocracy or a values driven organization.

I'd imagine that if they do want to release Revis, they're going to wait to see how his legal troubles play out first, and see if they can't recoup his guaranteed $6M. Remember when the Pats released a murderer too soon and then owed him millions of dollars? Good times! 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd imagine that if they do want to release Revis, they're going to wait to see how his legal troubles play out first, and see if they can't recoup his guaranteed $6M. Remember when the Pats released a murderer too soon and then owed him millions of dollars? Good times! 

The $2 million roster bonus is due BEFORE the first hearing.  Question of the day: Does that $2 million count as part of the $6 million guaranteed or is it separate?  If the Jets give him that $2 million roster bonus before cutting him, then do they just owe him the additional $4 million if he is subsequently cut?  Or do they still owe him the entire $6 million?  If the answer is $4 million, then they might as well pay him the $2 million roster bonus and wait until the legal situation unfolds a bit more.  But if the $2 million does not offset any of the guaranteed $6 million (meaning the Jets would lose $8 million), then cut his greedy ass right now and eat the $6 million. 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The $2 million roster bonus is due BEFORE the first hearing.  Question of the day: Does that $2 million count as part of the $6 million guaranteed or is it separate?  If the Jets give him that $2 million roster bonus before cutting him, then do they just owe him the additional $4 million if he is subsequently cut?  Or do they still owe him the entire $6 million?  If the answer is $4 million, then they might as well pay him the $2 million roster bonus and wait until the legal situation unfolds a bit more.  But if the $2 million does not offset any of the guaranteed $6 million (meaning the Jets would lose $8 million), then cut his greedy ass right now and eat the $6 million. 

No, that bonus is not part of the $6M guarantee. If they're thinking about releasing him, though, I'd think that they're conferring with the league about whether his arrest alone violates his contract, or if a conviction would, etc. I'd hope that they wouldn't spend the $2M without having a good idea that they'd be able to wipe the $6M off the books. Or maybe they're just waiting until the last minute before paying that bonus in hopes of getting an answer they like. Fans get antsy, but there's really no rush. 

38 minutes ago, slats said:

No - they can always claim he violated the personal conduct clauses before an adjudication, and then back off of that later.  But the 2M roster bonus due March 10 (thanks, @C Mart - perils of posting from memory at midnight) mean he'll be cut by then.

7 hours ago, slats said:

No, that bonus is not part of the $6M guarantee. If they're thinking about releasing him, though, I'd think that they're conferring with the league about whether his arrest alone violates his contract, or if a conviction would, etc. I'd hope that they wouldn't spend the $2M without having a good idea that they'd be able to wipe the $6M off the books. Or maybe they're just waiting until the last minute before paying that bonus in hopes of getting an answer they like. Fans get antsy, but there's really no rush. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, since I don't know myself, but why wouldn't the $2m RB count towards his $6m guarantee?

He's guaranteed to get paid $6m this year. If his $2m RB is paid, it seems to me he'd be still guaranteed another $4m.

I'd think any amount paid to him would count towards fulfillment of the contract's guarantee.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, since I don't know myself, but why wouldn't the $2m RB count towards his $6m guarantee?

He's guaranteed to get paid $6m this year. If his $2m RB is paid, it seems to me he'd be still guaranteed another $4m.

I'd think any amount paid to him would count towards fulfillment of the contract's guarantee.

Any way we can pay him less money and cut him is the best.  He flat out mailed it in last year.

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Couldn't get on line yesterday to post.  I'd like to thank Nick Mangold for his 11 years of Jets service.  Well done Nick and I wish the best of success to you in your next stop.  Thank you for being a great NY Jet.  You will be missed.  

Mangold_Nick.jpg

If I was him, I'd probably just go the D'Brick route and retire.  That, or don a Viking helmet and go on raids and sh!t. I loved Mangold. If he goes the Viking route, pillage The New Dump and lay it to waste. Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

One if my favorite players 

btw it's such a jets thing that many of the fans favorite players is a center.  Most teams it's a qb or a WR maybe a pass rusher, us a center.  

We've had some astounding long snappers through the years too. Maybe one day we can aspire to have a great punter too. But that's asking a lot.

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How is David Harris still on the team?

Not a single dollar of his last year is guaranteed, so there's really no rush unless they find themselves in need of the space during free agent sending.  Otherwise, they might as well see how their offseason goes before making a decision.  I'm sure they'll be looking around at ILBs in both FA and draft, and depending on how that goes could also simply ask him to take a cut.  In the case of Mangold, the Jets already have Johnson ready to step in and he was due a whole lot.  For Harris, all they've got left is Lee at the other spot and no one else.  Doesn't mean he'll last until the end, but right now there's no real incentive.  I'm sure there are other players even closer to the chopping block in terms of money goes anyone (most notably, Revis).  And while I can't imagine it happening, given the leadership and complete lack of guarantees, the Jets could even try to see if they could get a late pick out of him team for him.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It would be completely dependent on how the contract was written up.  If it's simply that much in total guaranteed for the year, then you're right that those numbers could offset each other.  However, if it's specifically stated that $6M of his salary is what is guaranteed, that would mean the bonus is separate.  Unfortunately it often seems like the latter is what is done in many contracts, which is why most are assuming that's the case here, but I don't know if there's ever been any official word on that, or just a best guess.

5 hours ago, jetophile said:

If I was him, I'd probably just go the D'Brick route and retire.  That, or don a Viking helmet and go on raids and sh!t. I loved Mangold. If he goes the Viking route, pillage The New Dump and lay it to waste. Thanks in advance. 

he'll probably go to the Patriots

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Not a single dollar of his last year is guaranteed, so there's really no rush unless they find themselves in need of the space during free agent sending.  Otherwise, they might as well see how their offseason goes before making a decision.  I'm sure they'll be looking around at ILBs in both FA and draft, and depending on how that goes could also simply ask him to take a cut.  In the case of Mangold, the Jets already have Johnson ready to step in and he was due a whole lot.  For Harris, all they've got left is Lee at the other spot and no one else.  Doesn't mean he'll last until the end, but right now there's no real incentive.  I'm sure there are other players even closer to the chopping block in terms of money goes anyone (most notably, Revis).  And while I can't imagine it happening, given the leadership and complete lack of guarantees, the Jets could even try to see if they could get a late pick out of him team for him.

Mangold was better than Harris last season. Harris could be replaced by an number of in house candidates. Wesley Johnson is not a suitable replacement, he's a downgrade. Mangold had nothing guaranteed in his contract either. No one is trading for Harris. He should be gone too. Accountability. So again, why is Harris still a Jet? 

because the guarantee is guaranteed base salary. the bonus is not guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That would be better, but it's not the case. He has $6M in salary guaranteed. That $2M is a bonus on top of his salary - should the Jets decide to pay it. 

Archived