Jets Preparing Monster Offer For Nick Perry

SR24

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No fanbase is better at whining then the Jets fan base  a 26 year old linebacker with  11 sacks in an area of need and when, whine, whine...

Look at his past stats clown lol Oh I forgot! fans can't be skeptical of giving a linebacker who's had 1 good season a monster deal. Explain what he's done to warrant 9+mil a year? based off of his whole career and not a contract year. 

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Look at his past stats clown lol Oh I forgot! fans can't be skeptical of giving a linebacker who's had 1 good season a monster deal. Explain what he's done to warrant 9+mil a year? based off of his whole career and not a contract year. 

He fills a need! What I get a kick out of is, that just the mention of possilby signing this guy and the whining is incredible. Sorry, Jets fans love to be miserable.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

He fills a need! What I get a kick out of is that just the mention of possilby singning this guy and the whining is incredible. Sorry, Jets fans love to be miserable.

Just because someone fills a need doesn't mean we need to run out and pay this dude a ton of money per year lmfao. Injury history, subpar numbers I mean you can't sit here and act like I'm being ridiculous for thinking signing this guy to a monster deal might not be the best idea.

As I say in all of these threads there's no reliability to this information until a deal is signed. I'm not getting my hopes up or bent out of shape over what may be an agent or front office intentional leak to manipulate the market.

If this is the top of his performance I wouldn't mind getting that contract year performance for a few years. I could get on board with a contract that ties pay to performance every year. Play like 2015 get paid piss, play like 2016 get paid riches. Not so sure many players sign to that kind of deal unless the high is really high and the low is not so low. Otherwise, I'd definitely pass on one good year of performance.

Just now, SR24 said:

I agree, but to play devils advocate.. what if we give him a crazy contract and he turns out to go back to being a dud? I think with this team in a rebuild we need to spend the money wisely on sure thing players. If he had continuous growth in the sack column and tackles I'd be all for it but this is a big gamble.

No such thing as a sure thing unfortunately.  We could go grab AJ Bouye for 15million and he could have a major injury in the summer for all we know.  The other part of this is looking at players in a bubble or vacuum.  Perhaps the Packers personnel and scheme wasn't a good mesh with Perry.  I mean everyone is focusing on the sack totals but honestly we need and edge guy who can stop the run too.  Perry seems to be the type of edge player we have been missing for a long time.  He can get after the QB and he can stop the run.  Most of our OLBs have been one dimensional ponies (looking at you Mauldin).  Perry in Bowles scheme and fit might keep Perry trending upwards and maybe gets even better.

Perfect example of this is Jabaal Sheard who had an amazing rookie season for the Browns and then had productive seasons after but not as good b/c he wasn't the right scheme fit.  He goes to the Pats and he starts to produce like he did his rookie season.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It depends what a "monster off" is. But I have no problem with Nick Perry the player. He's a good young player whose been good since he walked into the league. He's not just a one year guy.

Seeking 9mil+ a year. 

Just now, SR24 said:

Just because someone fills a need doesn't mean we need to run out and pay this dude a ton of money per year lmfao. Injury history, subpar numbers I mean you can't sit here and act like I'm being ridiculous for thinking signing this guy to a monster deal might not be the best idea.

I'm not condoning spending like a drunken sailor, but I'm also not so quick to dismiss and be critical of Mac for at least being intrgued by a player coming off a solid season and filling a need.  I certainly would prefer Nick Perry to Brian Hoyer. 

Premium position, been a need for years, Jets have enough money to burn, he's young, the Jets are probably not going to be good this year anyway. He was apparently good against the run last year too in addition to the 11 sacks.

And Maccagnan had historically given himself an out in big FA deals after a couple of years. Sure things don't hit FA. If they're going to take a big swing I don't mind this one.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I'm not condoning spending like a drunken sailor, but I'm also not so quick to dismiss and be critical of Mac for at least being intrgued by a player coming off a solid season and filling a need.  I certainly would prefer Nick Perry to Brian Hoyer. 

I'm against the "Monster deal" for a guy coming off 1 good year. During a rebuild we need to spend as wisely as possible this guy is a gamble that's all im saying

He averaged 30ish% snap count his first 4 years, and 75% snap count in 2016, seems he forced his way on the field finally, and produced.  Former 1st round pick only 27, gotta spend your money somewhere why not here, lord knows the Jets can't draft a edge rusher to save their life, and if by some miracle they also draft a stud edge rusher in this draft could you imagine having 2 guys off the edge capable of causing havoc, and Leo up front the D might be able to actually pressure the QB without playing man zero coverage with 3 blitzers who don't get there anyways.

Need to see what the offer is exactly. But he is still young, had a very good year and is physically a good fit. Former 1st rounder who took some time to fulfill his promise. As mentioned earlier, sounds a lot like Calvin Pace. If i remember he also had a position change. Bryan Thomas was similar too. 

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He fills a need! What I get a kick out of is that just the mention of possilby singning this guy and the whining is incredible. Sorry, Jets fans love to be miserable.

We need an edge rusher & with 2 young LBs Lee & Jenkins ready to step up in their 2nd years, hopefully a Mo resurgence, Leo beasting & a revamped secondary, plus maybe Mauldin finally showing up, who knows?

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So last year he almost matched his total of previous four seasons.  Maybe he is getting better?

A definite possibility and I'm not denying that. My problem is paying a guy HUGE money hoping that his 2016 season was a coming of age season and not a contract year fluke. Both are possibilities but just because we have the money to do it doesn't mean it's wise to gamble that on a guy who could fall back to 3 or 4 sack seasons for the duration of his tenure with us

7 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

As I say in all of these threads there's no reliability to this information until a deal is signed. I'm not getting my hopes up or bent out of shape over what may be an agent or front office intentional leak to manipulate the market.

If this is the top of his performance I wouldn't mind getting that contract year performance for a few years. I could get on board with a contract that ties pay to performance every year. Play like 2015 get paid piss, play like 2016 get paid riches. Not so sure many players sign to that kind of deal unless the high is really high and the low is not so low. Otherwise, I'd definitely pass on one good year of performance.

Yes the same rumblings about Perry are floating around with the Colts, same story with team ready to make big offer being written, but instead of the Jets it says Colts.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Beware guys with high sack numbers on awful defenses 

How do you explain the 7 postseason sacks in 8 games with only 1 start?  This is what has really gotten my attention, when he gets to see the field he is productive, and has done it in big spots.  I can gamble paying him, but still would look to add another edge rushing beast via this draft.

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No fanbase is better at whining then the Jets fan base a 26 year old linebacker with 11 sacks in an area of need and whine, whine, whine...

My God!!  I'm with you on this one.  Give some people a reason to find something to complain about and they'll run with it.  The kid is 26 what if he legitimately just happens to be blossoming now???  Impossible??  He had 11 sacks maybe he can improve on that.  The $9 million dollar price tag would be my problem though.  Would you guys be on board if he signs a 5 year $45 million dollar deal and he were guaranteed to get you 11 sacks a season?

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How do you explain the 7 postseason sacks in 8 games with only 1 start?  This is what has really gotten my attention, when he gets to see the field he is productive, and has done it in big spots.  I can gamble paying him, but still would look to add another edge rushing beast via this draft.

Fair point sir 

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

My God!!  I'm with you on this one.  Give some people a reason to find something to complain about and they'll run with it.  The kid is 26 what if he legitimately just happens to be blossoming now???  Impossible??  He had 11 sacks maybe he can improve on that.  The $9 million dollar price tag would be my problem though.  Would you guys be on board if he signs a 5 year $45 million dollar deal and he were guaranteed to get you 11 sacks a season?

Yeah! people are complaining about overpaying a guy who's had 1 good season and could easily get paid then go back to being subpar. What idiots! wanting the team to spend money wisely during a rebuild. Buncha idiots on this website. 

Archived