Female Head Coach In The 4 Major Sports

TuscanyTile2

Recently someone called Mike Francesa and asked if he thought there would ever be a female head coach in a major sport.  Francesa basically said that it seems unlikely it would be any time soon but he got a lot of flak for that ("you're a dinosaur!").  Personally I agree w/ Francesa on this one. 

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Recently someone called Mike Francesa and asked if he thought there would ever be a female head coach in a major sport.  Francesa basically said that it seems unlikely it would be any time soon but he got a lot of flak for that ("you're a dinosaur!").  Personally I agree w/ Francesa on this one. 

I don't say this often, but I agree with Francesa.

I have no issue with females being coaches.

I think eventually one will get a shot. I would like to see Becky Hammon get a shot at it in the near future. I think she's very smart and could definitely be up to task for it.

It is not that females cannot coach the real question is are any female coaches better than the male coaches currently employed? Enough of this corporate pc bullsh*t that there has to be a certain number demographics making up any workplace. If you are better at the job than someone else you should have the job, shouldn't depend on gender race etc. 

12 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

It is not that females cannot coach the real question is are any female coaches better than the male coaches currently employed? Enough of this corporate pc bullsh*t that there has to be a certain number demographics making up any workplace. If you are better at the job than someone else you should have the job, shouldn't depend on gender race etc. 

The real question is will players listen and respect them. There may be females qualified from an x and o stand point but are the players ready to follow there leadership.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's absolutely happening in basketball and baseball within the next 10-15 years. NBA is going to be first, MLB will be second down the line. No clue about the other two.

Wouldn't be surprised if that one on the Spurs succeeds Pop. That would 100% be his style.

Francesa made it seem as if the NBA was the only sport where this can be taken seriously (at least in the near term).  However, I think MLB is more likely because it's the least physical sport of the 4 majors by far.  That makes it seem to me like a female could be accepted in the locker room

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Francesa made it seem as if the NBA was the only sport where this can be taken seriously (at least in the near term).  However, I think MLB is more likely because it's the least physical sport of the 4 majors by far.  That makes it seem to me like a female could be accepted in the locker room

MLB is also the least team oriented sport of the four. The other three sports have designed plays where players have to be in sync with one another. Plus in MLB half the players don't speak English and have to be communicated with through an interpreter anyway.  So yes I agree with you and think baseball is the most likely.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Nope, not until they play the game at that level.

Like Danica Patrick could be a crew chief because she has raced at the top level.

Yeah because I remember when bill belichick played in the NFL. Eric Spoelstra was a great NBA talent as well.

I think if there's one thing recent events have shown us, it's that the attitudes of American males, particularly Caucasian ones, are trending in a very liberal, progressive direction and are now very receptive to the idea of a woman seeking positions of power. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think if there's one thing recent events have shown us, it's that the attitudes of American males, particularly Caucasian ones, are trending in a very liberal, progressive direction and are now very receptive to the idea of a woman seeking positions of power. 

Were you wearing your vajayjay hat when you typed this?

geno auriemma is the greatest coach in women's basketball and has to be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time in all sports.  so there's always a chance that a woman will coach in the major sports and even the nfl.  there is absolutely no reason to exclude half of the world's population from professional sports coaching ranks.

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

geno auriemma is the greatest coach in women's basketball and has to be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time in all sports.  so there's always a chance that a woman will coach in the major sports and even the nfl.  there is absolutely no reason to exclude half of the world's population from professional sports coaching ranks.

Women's college basketball isn't a sport. 

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

oh please.  it's still about motivating people to work as a team.  uconn and just about every other men's program would be lucky to play as well as the uconn women do.

Ask yourself this question....when Calhoun retired, do you seriously think UCONN even for a second considered Geno as his replacement?

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Is hockey bigger than the wnba?

Sent from my LGLS992 using JetNation.com mobile app

This is a joke?  THE WNBA is. It loses money and is kept around by the NBA as a loss leader for good PR. 

Was talking to a friend who did security for the Rangers and he recalled Torts basically walking up to numerous players between periods and literally screaming at the the top of his lungs at the guy in front of the whole team and support staff "____, YOU FUCCIN' SUCK! HOW DID YOU GET IN HERE! I'M CUTTING YOU TOMORROW!". And this was often. 

Could happen, but hard to see how it would be anything but a PC publicity stunt by a bad team. Seen some of this about football by having a kid in HS football and now going to college FB, along with a relative who is close to the Giants management. It's very greasy pole to be a football coach and the bottom rung is not a whole lot of fun and doesn't pay very well. You really have to love it to stick around long enough to advance. And if the team your with has a terrible season you can find yourself out of a job very quickly. It's long hours in often bad conditions. It's not very conducive to good relationships simply because of the time involved; all summer, all fall, then camps, recruiting.It's a level of commitment like being a Navy SEAL or a Jesuit priest.  And players know and respect the coaches who played football because they see all this every day. How would a female(about football especially) overcome that?  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Women's college basketball isn't a sport. 

Simply we are having this jammed down our throats as some great accomplishment. But really how competitive is this if they have this long a streak?Aureiemma may be a good coach, but really he the best recruiter in his division.  It's like the Globetrotters beating the Generals every night. Who cares? Why would you watch an inferior product?

As to athleticism, would wager a decent high school boys team would spank the UConn women. Basketball in the paint especially is a contact sport, and simply no woman between 18 to 22 is going to be as strong as 16-18 year old boys, nor are they as tall nor as fast. May be UConn's fundamentals would keep them in the game at times, but really they would have no chance. 

Oh great. Another opportunity to completely disregard the interests and choices that individuals make in their careers so someone can yell "discrimination"!

I'd guess if it is allowed to happen organically, it will occur in basketball or soccer first, as those seem to have the most serious interest from women currently. But don't be surprised if the NFL goes first, as soon as they realize forcing this could be an opportunity to scoop up dollars from people with an agenda that has nothing to do with the game of football.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Someone doesn't spend much time outside of their echo chamber.

Archived