If Klecko and Revis are the 2 greatest Jets defensive players ever, who's 3rd?

Sarge4Tide

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I love you bro, but this guy was a POS as a person and as a Jet, the evidence is indisputable:

• Showboating sack celebration backlash leads to numerous penalties
  • Selfish behavior leads to massive locker room discord
  • Roughing the passer turns 3rd and 24 into 1st and 10 costing the Jets trip to AFC Championship Game.
  • Crosses picket line as a scab immediately as the players strike launches.
  • Quits team in Week 7 to be with Hollywood starlet girlfriend.
  • Becomes a boxer, fights pro wrestlers.
  • Gets arrested for domestic violence.
  • Gets arrested for drug posession.
  • Spends 11 months incarcerated at Rikers Island

Years ago I said that on the day this guy is buried I'm going to go out to Long Island and do a sack dance celebration on his grave.  While the passing of time has taken the sting out of Roughing The Passer, I still intend to do that dance.  Worst Jet of all time.

SAR I

So Im guessing its not one of the Jerseys in the SAR I family jersey collection?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gEYno said:

At the TIME it HaPPeNeD, it really wasn't a CRUcIAL play.  It was a play that just furthered the BEATING they were taking.  It ONLY beCaMe a cruCiAL play because the J-E-T-S managed a COMEBACK.  A CoMeBACK, which can be largely ATTRIB(mmmm ribs)UTED to the STEALERZ taking their foot off the GAS unTiL theY neeDed to MAKE UH PLAY.

:D Well . . . . imitation is the greatest form of flattery. 

You misspelled Steelers & went on a Crusher tangent due to the rounds of ribs. Amusing, nonetheless. 

So YOUR OPINION is that the Steelers took their foot off the gas and got lazy UNTIL they realized that they may choke the game and then FLIPPED the SWITCH to win the game. ok. If you say so . . .  . :lol: 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gerry_Philbin.jpg

Gerry Philbin

Along with Joe Namath and Don Maynard, the only Jet defensive player to make the AFL All-Time squad as a first teamer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets#American_Football_League_All-Time_Team

SAR I

Philbin became a star for the Jets. In the 1968 Super Bowl season, he posted an unofficial 19 sacks. When you consider that, remember the Jets only played a 14 game season.

Lance Mehl - If not for horrible Knee injuries that ended his career he would have been No. 1 on this list

Marty Lyons- Very solid year in and year out

Mo Lewis - Probably best LB we ever had

Kyle Clifton - Who on the Jets has ever approached the tackle numbers Kyle Clifton put up ? One of the most under rated players this team has ever had and its not even close

Defense 

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
1984 22 NYJ MLB 59 16 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0   113 0   4
1985 23 NYJ LILB 59 16 16 3 10 0 10 0 2 0 2 0 0   160 0   9
1986 24 NYJ LILB 59 16 16 2 8 0 7 0 1 0 1 0 0   174 0   7
1987 25 NYJ RILB 59 12 8                       51 0   4
1988 26 NYJ RILB 59 16 15           0 0 2 6 0   162 0   6
1989 27 NYJ RILB 59 16 16           2 0 1 0 0 2.0 162 0   6
1990 28 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 3 49 0 39 0 1 0 1 0 0 0.5 199 0   7
1991 29 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 3 0 3 0 2 0 0 0 0 1.0 146 0   8
1992 30 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 1 0 1 0 3 0 4 0 0 1.0 138 0   9
1993 31 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 3 0 3 0 2 0 2 0 0 1.0 143 0   9
1994 32 NYJ mlb 59 16 5           0 0 1 0 0   19 13   3
1995 33 NYJ   59 16 0                       1 3   1
1996 34 NYJ   59 16 0                             1
Career       204 149 12 74 0 39 0 13 0 15 6 0 5.5 1468 16   74

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I still remember jumping up and down with my kids when that play happen. Suck a beast.

Greatest player I've ever seen for one year. He was as dominant as LT and Reggie White that 1 year (and couple games). Yes I truly believe that. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Mark was the best Jet on the field in two consecutive AFC Championship Games.

I hold the '09 and '10 defense in contempt for those losses, Rex Ryan a close second.

SAR I

On THIS point I agree with you. Tell THAT FOOL the error of his ways . . . . 

there have actually been quite a few really good jet defensive players.  mo lewis, aaron glenn, verlon biggs, kyle clifton, randy beverley, johnny sample, burgess owens, victor green, marty lyons, to name a few.  klecko and revis are the top two.

i would almost give gastineau the nod except he didn't do much during the strike year when he played with the scab players.  he should've but didn't dominate olines largely made up of scrubs.  and then, of course, he quit because the fans got on bridget nielson's case.

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Top Jets Defenders, in order, in MY lifetime EVER:

Mark Gastineau

Darrelle Revis

Joe Klecko

John Abraham

Mo Lewis

Shaun Ellis

Aaron Glenn

Victor Green

Good list.  Shade tree (Marvin Jones) belongs on it somewhere.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Victor Green sucked. I always thought James Hasty was vastly underrated 

Hrrm... Nose for the ball and a big hitter to boot.  I liked Hasty as well but Victor Green was pretty good.  He changed outcomes from what I remember.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Victor Green sucked. I always thought James Hasty was vastly underrated 

I was waiting for Green to get toasted in Denver by Elway.....fml

Hasty was excellent. I hated losing him.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

there have actually been quite a few really good jet defensive players.  mo lewis, aaron glenn, verlon biggs, kyle clifton, randy beverley, johnny sample, burgess owens, victor green, marty lyons, to name a few.  klecko and revis are the top two.

i would almost give gastineau the nod except he didn't do much during the strike year when he played with the scab players.  he should've but didn't dominate olines largely made up of scrubs.  and then, of course, he quit because the fans got on bridget nielson's case.

Don't forget Gastineau didn't do much on the field When Klecko (hurt) was not around and his play vs the run was terrible If PFF was around he would have graded worst in the NFL vs the run and that's not an exaggeration . I remember teams running traps on him constantly, he never got it, never adjusted and never seemed to care either. IMO just not a team player at all. If I remember correctly teammates stepped forward and complained about that.

I used to be a huge fan of Gastineau until those bad traits he had started to surface but either way Klecko was always my favorite Jet

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
1984 22 NYJ MLB 59 16 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0   113 0   4
1985 23 NYJ LILB 59 16 16 3 10 0 10 0 2 0 2 0 0   160 0   9
1986 24 NYJ LILB 59 16 16 2 8 0 7 0 1 0 1 0 0   174 0   7
1987 25 NYJ RILB 59 12 8                       51 0   4
1988 26 NYJ RILB 59 16 15           0 0 2 6 0   162 0   6
1989 27 NYJ RILB 59 16 16           2 0 1 0 0 2.0 162 0   6
1990 28 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 3 49 0 39 0 1 0 1 0 0 0.5 199 0   7
1991 29 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 3 0 3 0 2 0 0 0 0 1.0 146 0   8
1992 30 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 1 0 1 0 3 0 4 0 0 1.0 138 0   9
1993 31 NYJ MLB 59 16 16 1 3 0 3 0 2 0 2 0 0 1.0 143 0   9
1994 32 NYJ mlb 59 16 5           0 0 1 0 0   19 13   3
1995 33 NYJ   59 16 0                       1 3   1
1996 34 NYJ   59 16 0                             1
Career       204 149 12 74 0 39 0 13 0 15 6 0 5.5 1468 16   74

Something is wrong with these numbers. 1468 solo tackles and only 16 assisted ones and the came only in 94&95?

I'm assuming that they combined those stats prior to 1993? And if I recall, didn't they inflate the numbers on tackles for players by awarding the tackle to multiple players in on the stop?  Still a ton of activity, but there is some clarification needed if we are going to rate his play vs other guys after him.  I was young back then and didn't really care about individual stats (still kinda don't), but I did love watching him. Definitely remember him as a gritty hard charging sob.

I bet if we combined Harris' solo and assisted numbers he'd be pretty close, no?

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't forget Gastineau didn't do much on the field When Klecko (hurt) was not around and his play vs the run was terrible If PFF was around he would have graded worst in the NFL vs the run and that's not an exaggeration . I remember teams running traps on him constantly, he never got it, never adjusted and never seemed to care either. IMO just not a team player at all. If I remember correctly teammates stepped forward and complained about that.

I used to be a huge fan of Gastineau until those bad traits he had started to surface but either way Klecko was always my favorite Jet

Parallels between him and John Abraham? 

Well he did invent the "sack dance", paving the way for every selfish a$$hole in the game today to put the attention entirely on themselves over their teammates.  So there's that.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

It would have been 3rd and 24 from the Browns own 18 yard line having just given up a devastating sack.  The game would have been over.

Instead, new life at the 33, new set of downs, the celebrating Jets shocked on their heels, exhausted defensive players, you know the rest.  The Browns needed 2 scores in 6 minutes, that play was the key to the whole thing.

SAR I

I want to pee in your gas tank.

It was Gastineau's fault the Jets mustered one first down on their final four drives. Mark Gastineau also gave up 25 yards of field position on a hold on a punt and another 25 on a pass interference. It was Mark Gastineau who gave up 500 yds passing to Kosar, too. Also the reason the Jets averaged 6 yards a drive in overtime.

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It was Gastineau's fault the Jets mustered one first down on their final four drives. Mark Gastineau also gave up 25 yards of field position on a hold on a punt and another 25 on a pass interference. It was Mark Gastineau who gave up 500 yds passing to Kosar, too. Also the reason the Jets averaged 6 yards a drive in overtime.

Gastineaus play was a boneheaded play sometimes defenses (Browns) step up in the playoffs to make plays and get their offenses back on the field. So our offense could not muster a first down they were also , if i remember correctly playing it a bit conservative to run out the clock. So while it may not have been all Gastineaus fault he certainly was a contributing factor to the loss and he did that all on his own

5 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Something is wrong with these numbers. 1468 solo tackles and only 16 assisted ones and the came only in 94&95?

I'm assuming that they combined those stats prior to 1993? And if I recall, didn't they inflate the numbers on tackles for players by awarding the tackle to multiple players in on the stop?  Still a ton of activity, but there is some clarification needed if we are going to rate his play vs other guys after him.  I was young back then and didn't really care about individual stats (still kinda don't), but I did love watching him. Definitely remember him as a gritty hard charging sob.

I bet if we combined Harris' solo and assisted numbers he'd be pretty close, no?

I'm not sure how those numbers go mixed up sometimes you cant copy paste those tables. Either way Clifton was a tackling machine not sure any Jet LB has ever approached his numbers. I think the total is a combination of tackles and assists so the assist column was left blank I saw that a few times when searching out his numbers

I have only been watching fsince about 1971. The highest impact player that I remember was mark gastineau. The player I admired most was Klecko. I really don't remember Philbin. We have had a bunch of very good but not great players over the years.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Gastineaus play was a boneheaded play sometimes defenses (Browns) step up in the playoffs to make plays and get their offenses back on the field. So our offense could not muster a first down they were also , if i remember correctly playing it a bit conservative to run out the clock. So while it may not have been all Gastineaus fault he certainly was a contributing factor to the loss and he did that all on his own

They ran out the first overtime clock to perfection.

Russell Carter and Jerry Holmes both had INTs in 4th quarter that game. Carter had one the week before against KC too.  Carter's was the first pick against Kosar in over a month.  I submit the Dominator.  I also was a fan of Holmes, just back from the Pittsburgh Maulers and Jersey Generals.  We'd probably have a different president now if the court didn't screw that decision. 

17 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yes, you get it.  Gastineau is to blame.  He's hated.

BMW's have locking fuel doors. Let me know when you sell the Kia. 

SAR I

Archived