Why did Hackenberg become a punching bag for the media?

k-met57

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you include Petty, let's include McCown and Fitzpatrick as well. The media is doing Macc a favor by focusing solely on Hackenberg. 

Agreed, no idea why they didn't draft the next Andrew Luck instead of Hackenberg. I mean, it's so easy to find franchise QBs. 

reasons why national media wants hackenberg to suck:

1) picked by jets, which is generally viewed as an incompetent franchise despite success with rex (who had his own PR issues);

2) picked in 2nd round, rounds before his performance dictated he should have been picked;

3) putting one and two together, everyone is rooting for this 2nd round risk to suck so they can all say 'we told you so' and confirm the jets are still incompetent.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you include Petty, let's include McCown and Fitzpatrick as well. The media is doing Macc a favor by focusing solely on Hackenberg. 

Possibly, still doesnt explain the why.  You dont typically see teams 2nd round picks who dont even get to play absolutely roasted by the media.  They're not even in their minds.    Goff and Lynch were 1st round picks who are supposedly still terrible but they dont get the same coverage as Hack.  I get it's NY but homey was the 1st overall pick and he's gawd awful.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Because we've already seen him, and prognosticating the unknown is more entertaining than analyzing the sort-of-known.

That's fair, I guess.  Again, I really do think it has to do with these boards.  They know Jets fans are chomping at the bit to bash Hack when the blame should be totally on Mac. Who cares Hack sucks?  That was a given.  It's not his fault Mac's a ******* moron.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Possibly, still doesnt explain the why.  You dont typically see teams 2nd round picks who dont even get to play absolutely roasted by the media.  They're not even in their minds.    Goff and Lynch were 1st round picks who are supposedly still terrible but they dont get the same coverage as Hack.  I get it's NY but homey was the 1st overall pick and he's gawd awful.

That's fair, I guess.  Again, I really do think it has to do with these boards.  They know Jets fans are chomping at the bit to bash Hack when the blame should be totally on Mac. Who cares Hack sucks?  That was a given.  It's not his fault Mac's a ******* moron.

It's not because it's NY. It's because it's the NY Jets and the writers that cover them and how they cover them. If Hack was on any other team it would've been reported as "he's been inconsistent or struggling with accuracy" and that's probably it. 

Lynch is sucking it up in Denver and Goff is terrible in LA but all you hear about on the national news is how bad Hackenberg is... A second round pick.. not first or first overall like those two...  

Lynch and Goff may not even start as opening day starters... and somehow Hack (the project in the second round) is worse? That is why I have an issue with the coverage.

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Lynch is sucking it up in Denver and Goff is terrible in LA but all you hear about on the national news is how bad Hackenberg is... A second round pick.. not first or first overall like those two...  

Lynch and Goff may not even start as opening day starters... and somehow Hack (the project in the second round) is worse? That is why I have an issue with the coverage.

You hear more about it because the NY media is horrible. They are especially unfair to teams like the Jets/Mets (I am a Yankees fan). In the end, the only way to shut the media and SOJFs up is to win games and that isn't going to happen for a year or two. So expect more negativity until next years draft when they hopefully secure a franchise QB barring a miracle this year with Hack. 

21 hours ago, Skeptable said:

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You hear more about it because the NY media is horrible. They are especially unfair to teams like the Jets/Mets (I am a Yankees fan). In the end, the only way to shut the media and SOJFs up is to win games and that isn't going to happen for a year or two. So expect more negativity until next years draft when they hopefully secure a franchise QB barring a miracle this year with Hack. 

Lynch was sucking it up in Denver last year, but was still better than Petty and Fitzpatrick.  You remember them, the guys that kept Hackenberg on the bench.  Even when they were injured. 

47 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not because it's NY. It's because it's the NY Jets and the writers that cover them and how they cover them. If Hack was on any other team it would've been reported as "he's been inconsistent or struggling with accuracy" and that's probably it. 

Why get upset with the media trying to improve their job status by sensationalism when the vast majority of those who call themselves fans of this team jump on these boards with the same agenda and it's not their job  ?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Lynch was sucking it up in Denver last year, but was still better than Petty and Fitzpatrick last year.  You remember them, the guys that kept Hackenberg on the bench.  Even when they were injured. 

You are one of those guys that still don't remember the Jets saying before the season that Hack wasn't going to play? Clearly Hack was a work in progress and not expected to compete until this year. To discuss last year is just foolish and typical SOJF talking points. In the end, your boy Paxton is still behind the GREAT Trevor Semien......

In the end, I'll bet both Hack and Lynch never emerge as Franchise QBs just like 70 pct of all QBs taken after the top 5 There are far more Ponders/Manuels/Lockers/Genos than Derek Carrs.  It's not a Jets thing, it's an NFL thing.  That is why Macc is doing the right thing by tanking this year for a shot at one of the elite QB prospects coming out next year. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Lynch was sucking it up in Denver last year, but was still better than Petty and Fitzpatrick last year.  You remember them, the guys that kept Hackenberg on the bench.  Even when they were injured. 

Haha, you feed right into the media's trap... Hackenberg was never going to play last year.... And Lynch may not even be the starter this year... who cares in comparison to the Jets... Lynch was a First Rounder and is gonna be beat out by a 7th rounder.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

The red shirt myth again?  Sure, but even assuming that, not going to play and not going to play when all four players ahead of him are hurt and ineffective are two totally different animals.  Kid wasn't even suiting up.

Exactly why its not a myth... he wasn't suiting up...

Can you imagine the backlash right now if we had taken Lynch as a first round pick, and he sucked so bad??

Of course, we would not have @dbatesman wiping his ass with every thread about him, because he absolutely wanted Lynch and killed Maccagnan for not taking Lynch. So we'd have that going for us.

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Maybe the question that needs to be asked is why some Jet fans are busy comparing a 2nd round pick they thought should have been a 5th or 6th round pick to a player they thought the Jets should have drafted in the1st round .

It would be 1 thing is someone like me who wanted to draft Hackenberg with that 2nd round pick was making the comparison, but why do it if you held such a different opinion about the 2 players ?

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Haha, you feed right into the media's trap... Hackenberg was never going to play last year.... And Lynch may not even be the starter this year... who cares in comparison to the Jets... Lynch was a First Rounder and is gonna be beat out by a 7th rounder.

It was the media!

Now that the Jets have drafted Penn State's Christian Hackenberg as their potential quarterback of the future, the million-dollar question is whether Hackenberg will get to play as a rookie in 2016.   General manager Mike Maccagnan, in an interview on WEPN-FM ESPN 98.7 on Monday, wouldn't rule it out.  "I think, with any player coming into the league, there's definitely a maturation process, and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play," Maccagnan told hosts Michael Kay and Don La Greca.  "I think quarterbacks are probably one of the harder positions to transition into in the NFL. I know there's always a desire and feel to have them go out there and play right away. The reality of it is, though, it's going to be determined by how he does. And I think my personal opinion is we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating to our offense and our system. But like I said, I think it's a natural maturation process."

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

He didn't suit up because he sucked.  Do all you people forget that the reason they drafted him in desperation in the 2nd was that they still hadn't folded to Fitzpatrick's demands and they needed another potential starter?  There was as much speculation he would be opening day starter as a red shirt. He resolved that question (and quite possibly got them to fold to Fitz) with his play.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Can you imagine the backlash right now if we had taken Lynch as a first round pick, and he sucked so bad??

Of course, we would not have @dbatesman wiping his ass with every thread about him, because he absolutely wanted Lynch and killed Maccagnan for not taking Lynch. So we'd have that going for us.

Tell me something, do you believe that if you continually make right turns you will end up making a left turn  ? 

Because he's representative of a "Jets blunder" and the media knows they can generate interest and eyeballs by sh*tting on the Jets. It's as simple as that. None of these people have anything against the kid personally, I'm sure. They just make their living stirring up garbage about the Jets and a 2nd round QB who looks like he might be awful is a great target for muckraking.

19 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If we had an elite defense like Denver and were stuck starting Trevor Semien over Lynch then the likes of dbatesman and tomshane would be losing their sh!t over that. Guys that whine, will always find reasons to whine. It's just in their DNA. 

When you win you fill the tank with good will from your fans, if you win a lot (ala the pats) you can do no wrong as far as the fans are concerned.  When you flounder around as badly as the jets have and cannot find even a reasonable starting Qb you lose your good will from the fans and it becomes a 'prove you are good' scenario rather than 'we have faith' scenario.

The Jets spent the last of their good will capital about year 4 of rex's reign and are now in serious over draft.  It's up to the Jets to 'git gud' and get the trust of their fans, it is not up to the fans to clap like trained seals for a team that can't find it's ass with two hands in the dark.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I actually do find it a little bizarre that a 3rd string Qb who has never taken a down in the NFL is even on the media's radar.  That said, I think it's very safe to say that the reports who cover the Jets, 100% guaranteed get their material from this site or other similar sites. Just look at what they report, it's all the sh*t that we argue over daily here.  Just pick a topic with a ton of pages and posts and BOOM! instant interest and hits from Jets fans. 

When PFF gave him an "undraftable" grade it made a lot of radars. FO's QBASE said he had just over an 80% chance of being a bust. This was well before the Jets selected him.

Since these poor outlook stories were out there, were well circulated and discussed, and a GM still decided to use a relatively high pick on him, it's not totally unexpected. It suggests an arrogance that the drafter knows more than everybody. If he's going to get the credit for being right, in the face of all the poor draft grades, he deserves just as much of the opposite for swinging and missing with such a high pick. 

While it's doubtful he'd get this same attention level if he was drafted by the Titans, as was alluded earlier in the thread, had we taken him in round 5 Hackenberg wouldn't get nearly this much attention either. I agree with you, though, that they're not focusing on skewering the right person.

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When PFF gave him an "undraftable" grade it made a lot of radars. FO's QBASE said he had just over an 80% chance of being a bust. This was well before the Jets selected him.

Since these poor outlook stories were out there, were well circulated and discussed, and a GM still decided to use a relatively high pick on him, it's not totally unexpected. It suggests an arrogance that the drafter knows more than everybody. If he's going to get the credit for being right, in the face of all the poor draft grades, he deserves it for swinging and missing with such a high pick. 

While it's doubtful he'd get this same attention level if he was drafted by the Titans, as was alluded earlier in the thread, had we taken him in round 5 Hackenberg wouldn't get nearly this much attention. I agree with you, though, that they're not focusing on skewering the right person.

Just curious how many times are these sites/blogs right and who holds them accountable if they are not. Its easy to knock a player knowing there are no repercussions.

Are people going to stop reading them because they get 50% wrong .

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Since these poor outlook stories were out there, were well circulated and discussed, and a GM still decided to use a relatively high pick on him, it's not totally unexpected. It suggests an arrogance that the drafter knows more than everybody. If he's going to get the credit for being right, in the face of all the poor draft grades, he deserves just as much of the opposite for swinging and missing with such a high pick. 

While it's doubtful he'd get this same attention level if he was drafted by the Titans, as was alluded earlier in the thread, had we taken him in round 5 Hackenberg wouldn't get nearly this much attention either. I agree with you, though, that they're not focusing on skewering the right person.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Just curious how many times are these sites/blogs right and who holds them accountable if they are not. Its easy to knock a player knowing there are no repercussions.

PFF gave Hack an "undraftable" grade in 2016. They also gave Dak Prescott an "undraftable" grade. They gave Goff a 1st round grade and Treyvon Boykin a 4-7 round grade. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-round-by-round-ranking-of-2016s-best-nfl-qb-prospects/

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess that's the weird thing about.  Everyone knows he's terrible, so why pick on him?  Pick on the Dbag that put him in this situation.  It's not Hack's fault he was drafted 5 rounds too early and the returns are predictable.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We hired Mike Maccagnan to get us a Super Bowl.

In order to get to a Super Bowl, Mike Maccagnan needs to hire a quarterback.

The quarterback Mike Maccagnan hired to get us to a Super Bowl is Christian Hackenberg. 

He's going to have one more shot at it next year.  if he hits on the new rookie QB, every one will forget Hack, if he misses he's done

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

PFF gave Hack an "undraftable" grade in 2016. They also gave Dak Prescott an "undraftable" grade. They gave Goff a 1st round grade and Treyvon Boykin a 4-7 round grade. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-round-by-round-ranking-of-2016s-best-nfl-qb-prospects/

On Prescott:

"Strides were made in the passing game, but Prescott still sits behind most of the passers in this draft class. He does add an intriguing element as a runner, particularly in the designed run game, but there are still too many questions about him as a passer to warrant a draft pick."

So maybe their analysis isn't flawless, or rather this shouldn't be considered a full proof way to predict what happens to these players on the pro-level.

Just to be fair, on Hack:

"Looks the part” is the nicest thing that has been said about Hackenberg the last two seasons, and we’re not really sure how much that’s worth. The on-field play has been subpar by every measure, and most point to 2013 as the glimmer of hope in Hackenberg’s upside. We are in the process of going back to grade every play from that season, but the last two years of evidence that saw him rank among the worst quarterbacks in the country is not encouraging."

49 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

These sites are right about the same % that the posters on this site are right.  The same people who hold our local "draft guru's"  responsible , also hold the national blogs responsible.

No one

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He's going to have one more shot at it next year.  if he hits on the new rookie QB, every one will forget Hack, if he misses he's done

Eh no Macc should absolutely be fired after next season's abortion

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Eh no Macc should absolutely be fired after next season's abortion

Macc is clearly operating with a promise of still being employed by the NYJ next year, but then again so was Mangini.

Think Woody keeps his word this time.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Macc is clearly operating with a promise of still being employed by the NYJ next year, but then again so was Mangini.

Woody is fickle and, in this case, he'd be making the right decision firing Mac along with Todd Bonehead

Archived