A lot is made of the infamous two safety strategy...

slats

But I'm actually pretty optimistic -and, yes, I realize it's a low bar, but yeah - that Marcus Maye could be the best second round pick the Jets have selected since David Harris. That wouldn't suck, despite his position. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, slats said:

But I'm actually pretty optimistic -and, yes, I realize it's a low bar, but yeah - that Marcus Maye could be the best second round pick the Jets have selected since David Harris. That wouldn't suck, despite his position. 

Pete Carroll 1st draft he took 2 safeties and this last draft he took 3 despite have 2 of the best safeties in the game. 

I liked Maye and Adams before the draft, but it was definitely weird to watch us draft both back-to-back.  As much as good safety play is more important now in the game than it ever was; it's still nowhere close to as important as a quarterback, pass rusher, elite wide receiver or offensive tackle.  While I'm happy to read how well they're performing in OTA's, it's going to be easy for people to look back on this draft and think what could have been if we didn't go back-to-back safety in the first two rounds and grabbed one of those premium positions instead with one of our first two picks.  

But so long as they both hit, become productive starters, we won't be a laughingstock - just perhaps misguided.  

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I liked the Maye and Adams before the draft, but it was definitely weird to watch us draft both back-to-back.  As much as good safety play is more important now in the game than it ever was; it's still nowhere close to as important as a quarterback, pass rusher, elite wide receiver or offensive tackle.  While I'm happy to read how well they're performing in OTA's, it's going to be easy for people to look back on this draft and think what could have been if we didn't go back-to-back safety in the first two rounds and grabbed one of those premium positions instead with one of our first two picks.  

But so long as they both hit, become productive starters, we won't be a laughingstock - just perhaps misguided.  

Question is, what prospects were truly worth the pick at those positions (esp. @ #6)? 

It's also said that safety is the QB of the defense, or at least the DBs, and it sounds like Adams has been just that during mini-camp. Yes, CB is more prized based on their ability to play, but they don't have to do as much co-ordinating as S.

Just now, jamesr said:

Question is, what prospects were truly worth the pick at those positions (esp. @ #6)? 

It's also said that safety is the QB of the defense, or at least the DBs, and it sounds like Adams has been just that during mini-camp. Yes, CB is more prized based on their ability to play, but they don't have to do as much co-ordinating as S.

To me it was Adams, or Mahomes at 6, no other pick made any sense IMO, Adams is the supposed can't miss prospect so I understand why Macc didn't gamble on the QB in year 3 of his HC's tenure, if Bowles was fired, and a new HC was here I wouldn't have been surprised if Mahomes, or Watson would have been the selection over Adams.

On 6/18/2017 at 11:26 AM, slats said:

At this point any pick that doesn't Dee Miliner or Calvin Pryors is a sound pick. 

Here's the next several picks. Who would you have preferred?

7 39 Marcus Maye Jets DB Florida
  8 40 Curtis Samuel Panthers WR Ohio State
  9 41 Dalvin Cook Vikings RB Florida State
  10 42 Marcus Williams Saints DB Utah
  11 43 Sidney Jones Eagles DB Washington
  12 44 Gerald Everett Rams TE South Alabama
  13 45 Adam Shaheen Bears TE Ashland
  14 46 Quincy Wilson Colts DB Florida
  15 47 Tyus Bowser Ravens LB Houston
  16 48 Joe Mixon Bengals RB Oklahoma
  17 49 Ryan Anderson Redskins LB Alabama
  18 50 Justin Evans Buccaneers DB Texas A&M
  19 51 DeMarcus Walker Broncos DE Florida State
  20 52 DeShone Kizer Browns QB Notre Dame
  21 53 Teez Tabor Lions DB Florida
  22 54 Raekwon McMillan Dolphins LB Ohio State
  23 55 Dalvin Tomlinson Giants DT Alabama
  24 56 Obi Melifonwu Raiders DB Connecticut

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

To me it was Adams, or Mahomes at 6, no other pick made any sense IMO, Adams is the supposed can't miss prospect so I understand why Macc didn't gamble on the QB in year 3 of his HC's tenure, if Bowles was fired, and a new HC was here I wouldn't have been surprised if Mahomes, or Watson would have been the selection over Adams.

I have zero complaints about the Adams pick.  I did want us to grab Mahomes btw but it just didn't fall right.  I wouldn't take Mahomes over Adams at 5.  Maybe if we traded down it would've made sense but KC traded way up to get him so you never know.  In any case, I'm happy about where we are (that is - hopefully in position to get the #1 pick next year).

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Mixon, Jones, Cook that order.  We're not competing this year we could have afforded Jones partial red shirt season.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have zero complaints about the Adams pick.  I did want us to grab Mahomes btw but it just didn't fall right.  I wouldn't take Mahomes over Adams at 5.  Maybe if we traded down it would've made sense but KC traded way up to get him so you never know.  In any case, I'm happy about where we are (that is - hopefully in position to get the #1 pick next year).

I love the Adams pick, BUT Mahomes is the only other player that was available that I would have been happy about picking over Adams.  And 3 years from now both might be studs, but no matter how big a stud Adams becomes if Mahomes also becomes a stud, and the Jets still don't have a QB it's gonna be another woulda coulda Jets draft day moment.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I love the Adams pick, BUT Mahomes is the only other player that was available that I would have been happy about picking over Adams.  And 3 years from now both might be studs, but no matter how big a stud Adams becomes if Mahomes also becomes a stud, and the Jets still don't have a QB it's gonna be another woulda coulda Jets draft day man moment.

I agree with you.  I just don't think it was worth it to risk drafting Mahomes over Adams at 5.  Adams seemed like a sure thing.  And while I did really want Mahomes, people say he's 2 years away so clearly he's a gamble.

19 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

cook or mixon, but both guys character issues, but i think i would ok if they were drafted

50 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

either Sid Jones or Quincy Wilson. If Cook and Mixon weren't such complete a-holes as human beings, then probably one of them, but if they were decent human beings, they both would have been long gone.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Tough call. Mike Nugent actually had a nice, long career.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I liked the Maye and Adams before the draft, but it was definitely weird to watch us draft both back-to-back.  As much as good safety play is more important now in the game than it ever was; it's still nowhere close to as important as a quarterback, pass rusher, elite wide receiver or offensive tackle.  While I'm happy to read how well they're performing in OTA's, it's going to be easy for people to look back on this draft and think what could have been if we didn't go back-to-back safety in the first two rounds and grabbed one of those premium positions instead with one of our first two picks.  

Premium positions doesn't mean premium players. You have a better chance finding a Dak Prescott in the later rounds than you are finding a premier edge rusher in the 2nd round or later. I'm not expecting us to be a laughing stock in this regard because finding a great pass rusher outside of the 1st round, (usually top 10) is damn near impossible. The league has hit on more QB's in the 2nd round or lower than they have pass rushers in those same rounds.

We'll be a laughing stock if Maye is a bust and Dalvin cook is what many people think he is. 

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I like Maye better than all of those players.  And Adams was definitely the safest pick at six.

Genuinely, we might have went BPA at both picks.  But I think an argument could be made that any strategy/philosophy, no matter how reasoned and empirically tested, shouldn't be so rigidly adhered to in the face of circumstances.  Taking two safeties in the first two rounds, even if they're both the Best Players Available, isn't all that smart.  And it's one thing to take one safety in the first two rounds; it's something else to take two, back-to-back, in the first forty picks.  

If we went for Mahomes or Lattimore at six, or maybe traded down and picked up Bolles, Charles Harris, Humphrey or Cam Robinson and then picked Maye in round two - we might be far better off.  

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Premium positions doesn't mean premium players. You have a better chance finding a Dak Prescott in the later rounds than you are finding a premier edge rusher in the 2nd round or later. I'm not expecting us to be a laughing stock in this regard because finding a great pass rusher outside of the 1st round, (usually top 10) is damn near impossible. The league has hit on more QB's in the 2nd round or lower than they have pass rushers in those same rounds.

We'll be a laughing stock if Maye is a bust and Dalvin cook is what many people think he is. 

Sure, but I doubt a team will be successful by picking safeties, guards and inside linebackers in the first two rounds consistently.  You can't win in this league without good quarterback play, offensive playmakers, time & protection for both of those and a good pass rush on defense.  That's the recipe; score + hit the quarterback.  Two safeties don't really help that.  

15 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Sure, but I doubt a team will be successful by picking safeties, guards and inside linebackers in the first two rounds consistently.  You can't win in this league without good quarterback play, offensive playmakers, time & protection for both of those and a good pass rush on defense.  That's the recipe; score + hit the quarterback.  Two safeties don't really help that.  

Well, if you're consistently picking there then of course you're not being successful, or you would stop picking those positions.

You can't win in this league without what you stated, but I wouldn't pretend as if it's easy to win without solid safeties. The sea hawks has protected their db's with those safeties...and I can't name one premier pass rusher on that team. They found a way to win with what was available to them. 

Trying to fit the same mold isn't working, might as well try what our head coach believes can be a step in the right direction

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, if you're consistently picking there then of course you're not being successful, or you would stop picking those positions.

You can't win in this league without what you stated, but I wouldn't pretend as if it's easy to win without solid safeties. The sea hawks has protected their db's with those safeties...and I can't name one premier pass rusher on that team. They found a way to win with what was available to them. 

Trying to fit the same mold isn't working, might as well try what our head coach believes can be a step in the right direction

I can see what you are stating here. The issue is that the Jets DL is not configured for speed and does not get to the QB with enough pressure. Thus the long bombs consistently.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Sydney Jones was a top 10 pick before his injury.  So yeah him or Cook

22 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I can see what you are stating here. The issue is that the Jets DL is not configured for speed and does not get to the QB with enough pressure. Thus the long bombs consistently.

Our OLB's Mauldin and Jenkins can't sniff the qb

Point is, this would have VERY likely been a DB pick no matter what. As others have stated, the Jets were never going to pick Cook or Mixon, and even less likely despite talent because a RB at that point would have been a luxury pick for a team like the Jets. And they obviously knew that Pryor was a goner and Gilchrist was a goner.

I don't get the Mahomes thinking. The Jets are a bottom five team trying to rebuild with one of the best QB drafts in while coming up in 2018. Why on earth would the pass on a sure thing (a top three pick) in Adams for a project, when they're going QB next year with much better quality? Mac isn't as dumb as people here are trying to make him out to be. None of us knew that they had already moved on from Pryor and Gilchrist when they were drafting.

I'm sure many players that were drafted after Adams and Maye will be good, I'm sure many on this board or anywhere else on the internet could have made a solid argument for other picks and will point out who would have been great to have on our team in hindsight some 4 years from now, and I'm sure Mac had his own reasons for going with these two over the QB's or a Dalvin Cook.

But in the end none of that matters, what matters is how these two play and if they can indeed provide a service at the safety position over the next ten years. I'm not gonna sweat the success of draft choices of other teams, just how ours go.

In 1st round the QBs and OTs were not considered worthy of #10 let alone #6. Mahomes would have been problematic unless after we had already signed McCown to an uncuttable contract this year, that we would have moved Petty (who ain't worth much if anything in a trade) or cut him and then let Hack, Mahomes, and McCown fight it out as this year's starter (4 QBs is to much for that type of competition). Had Mahomes or any QB not name Trubinsky, who went at 2 anyway, been more ready by evaluation to start sometime this year then maybe we would have taken them. Adam's at #6 was fine and since others in round 2 were high risk like Cook and Mixon we were better off with Maye since our 2nd round track record is like a curse we don't want to add more fuel to. And I don't believe in curses, but the 2nd round has been unreal that either we get bad players or have the unfortunate events like Byrd, where the player is good, but something bad occurs to them (Also see Geno "Broken Jaw" Smith). Harris is the only very good 2nd round pick I can recall and I am almost 52 years old. 

3 hours ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

cook or mixon, but both guys character issues, but i think i would ok if they were drafted

If it's not obvious to Jet fans at this point that there was a severe premium put on character in this offseason, then they are clueless.

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I love the Adams pick, BUT Mahomes is the only other player that was available that I would have been happy about picking over Adams.  And 3 years from now both might be studs, but no matter how big a stud Adams becomes if Mahomes also becomes a stud, and the Jets still don't have a QB it's gonna be another woulda coulda Jets draft day moment.

Exactly. If mahomes is the real deal, which he will be, well be lamenting forever

It was a different approach during the draft.  I don't think the full on tank was in effect yet.  

This team is still too young and undeveloped to bring in bad characters, particularly at a low lifespan position like RB.  I don't blame the Jets for passjng on Mixon and Cook  

They could not afford to take Jones and not have him play right away.  Then.  I think now they take Jones. 

If Wilson or Williams look better than Maye, I would fire Mac.  

Archived