Regarding our $80 Million War Chest Next Year

Dcronin

3 hours ago, thadude said:

$80 million isn't a lot when you consider conservatively we will need to fill 6-7 starting positions on both offense and defense 

they will also need to re-sign their own free agents, quite possibly shelly, most likely eninwa, and maybe they try to lock up leo early. powell is also on his last year.  as you say, the 80 mill isn't going to go very far.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really. In that case they'd just pay roughly that same $17m/year to Sheldon.

It may seem like an initial savings for 2018 alone, if they designate Mo a June 1 cut and structure Sheldon's extension similarly, but when the dust settles the savings would be negligible.

By making his extension y1 lower, Sheldon's cap number would be $1-2m/yr higher thereafter, and Mo would have a $6m dead cap number for 2019. So, savings in 2018? Yes, by about $7-8m. But then in 2019 their combined cap numbers would be $7-8m more. If the cap allocation is spread more evenly than Mo's was, then it'd seem like a $6m savings in 2018 but then a $6m loss in 2019.

The net isn't much, if it ends up being anything at all, unless they cut Mo and let Sheldon go as a FA. 

Well thats assuing the Jets want Sheldon back. Even if they do, I think Sheldon will be asking for more than he's worth and the Jets won't pay too $ to a guy who is one strike away from getting suspended for a year.

They're saving the big $ to lock up Leo, and if Mo doesn't play worth to his contract, they'll be drafting his replacement or signing some mid tier guy. They don't need two max contracts for de's in a 3-4 defense. 

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Well thats assuing the Jets want Sheldon back. Even if they do, I think Sheldon will be asking for more than he's worth and the Jets won't pay too $ to a guy who is one strike away from getting suspended for a year.

They're saving the big $ to lock up Leo, and if Mo doesn't play worth to his contract, they'll be drafting his replacement or signing some mid tier guy. They don't need two max contracts for de's in a 3-4 defense. 

I understand fans may feel that way, but if that the way the team saw him they'd have pounced on Dallas' 2nd rounder. He was one strike away at that time as well, no? Not to mention in what was already a dead season, with an 5th year team option at $8m coming up.

He's $8m this year, in a throwaway season, after keeping him for $2m more after turning down Dallas. So with today's fluid salary cap you can effectively add that to his future cost (i.e. the amount we won't have to spend on other players). If they had no thoughts of extending him he'd already be gone just for the cap savings alone, even if they only got a 5th rounder in return.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I understand fans may feel that way, but if that the way the team saw him they'd have pounced on Dallas' 2nd rounder. He was one strike away at that time as well, no?

He's $8m this year, in a throwaway season, so with today's fluid salary cap you can effectively add that to his future cost (i.e. the amount we won't have to spend on other players). If they had no thoughts of extending him he'd already be gone just for the cap savings alone, even if they only got a 5th rounder in return.

what 2nd rounder.... the only report of jets rejecting a 2nd rounder are nill

58 minutes ago, rangerous said:

they will also need to re-sign their own free agents, quite possibly shelly, most likely eninwa, and maybe they try to lock up leo early. powell is also on his last year.  as you say, the 80 mill isn't going to go very far.

If they re-sign Richardson and extend Williams, everybody should be fired immediately. 

The NFL mandates that you must spend a certain amount (80 percent, I think) of your cap money. I agree with those who say extend our own players but most of them will still be on rookie deals. I would extend Carpenter however and maybe Sefarian-Jenkins shows something this season, I would lock him up for a few more years. Leonard Williams will come due soon so you have to give him some of that.

17 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The NFL mandates that you must spend a certain amount (80 percent, I think) of your cap money. I agree with those who say extend our own players but most of them will still be on rookie deals. I would extend Carpenter however and maybe Sefarian-Jenkins shows something this season, I would lock him up for a few more years. Leonard Williams will come due soon so you have to give him some of that.

Stop simplifying everything.  The cap is complex, and it isn't as simple as "Mac had to spend."  I don't think it is 80%, I think it is 89%, but that is over a 4 year period (now to 2020) and it is cash spending, not cap spending which isn't the same thing and can be manipulated by a savvy GM.  I swear that I had better not hear that this is why we gave McCown all that scratch.  The only reason to extend your own players is to get favorable deals.  We should if we are extending them that far out.

Leonard Williams will not be a free agent until 2020.  There is plenty of time to deal with him. 

12 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I'd say do what the Pats did.  Save that money up and use it on a rainy day,  Football is one the one sport you can't drop a ton of moey on contracts.  You sign the QB nad a couple of defensive stalewarts and thats it.  You save the money for Adams and whomever turns out to be indispensible the next few years.  But don't waste in on guys that will give us two decent seaons.  We learn our lesson with the Great Pittsburgh Rip Off Artist.

you can do that when you have tom Brady.  we don't and have never had one even half as good as him.

you can do that when you have tom Brady.  we don't and have never had one even half as good as him.

The Shady Brady deals are only possible because of his wife. I swear it's comical
how unbalanced his situation makes this for the rest of the league. Can't wait till
he hangs them up.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The Shady Brady deals are only possible because of his wife. I swear it's comical
how unbalanced his situation makes this for the rest of the league. Can't wait till
he hangs them up.

ok so we need a player as great as Brady that also has a rich wife:lol:

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

+1

Y'all know I hate fraud agency.  However, if the Jets must spend some $$, I wholeheartedly agree that the OL is the place.  The Jets have had some FA success with OL in the past.  Mawae, Faneca, Woody, etc.

Protect the new QB, whomever it will be.

Several Jets regimes in a row have been victims of OL neglect. Agree OL should be the focus. Also because these guys play a long time. You can build there and most of them will still be around when/if this rebuild is complete.

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

6 to 7 starters?  That's double than what you get in a typical draft, 4 or more is an outstanding draft.  It is alot and will give us alot of flexibility next year. 

According to the Mac-lovers we're hauling in 6-7 great starting players in each draft

16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Whos the great pitt ripoff artist? 

Also whats the deal with the cap. Can u continue to spend less and send the balance to coming years or is it limited? 

800px-Darrelle_Revis_ESPNWeekend2010-051.jpg

"You see, in college I was guaranteed endless free refills of soda at the Student Commons.  Now I think that I should be guaranteed a contract for life for playing like absolute crap.   Not much has changed from Pitt.  The Jets should do right by me."

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

It's also being paid under the table  by the Pats, for his "Health Company".

Is there any doubt that there is a handshake deal that a couple years after he retires the Pats will sign him to a lucrative "personal services" contract?

You guys are hilarious. All fiscal conservatives here.

But you'll scream bloody murder if the Jets sit on the sidelines in free agency next year!

Ha. No, but I think the people responding here who said get out the checkbook for young O liners who break free offer some sound advice. Solidify the trenches.

And why not go after one or two stars like a Leveon Bell, Devonta Freeman, or Allen Robinson. Also like Carlos Hyde (not a star.)

DC

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Is there any doubt that there is a handshake deal that a couple years after he retires the Pats will sign him to a lucrative "personal services" contract?

It's already happened.

http://www.tb12sports.com

The Pats pay him millions:-

At the TB12 Sports Therapy Center, our highly-trained body coaches translate each client’s complete biomechanics and unique goals into comprehensive, customized, sport-specific and position-specific programs that integrate cutting-edge concepts in athletic preparation, recovery, hydration, nutrition, and cognitive training.

Where: TB12 Sports Therapy Center is located at 240 Patriot Place, Foxborough MA 02035

It's why his contract has such a low cap hit. Eddie Debartolo jr had his franchise taken from him, for under the table payment. Pats Grande rule breakers.

Spend on the OL? What position, other than center?

LT - They just sank $17m in to the position in March ($12m guaranteed for Beachum, and with $3m of his $5m guaranteed it seems they're keeping Ijalana for the year even if he's just a backup, making his full $5m effectively guaranteed). The hope is Beachum returns to form and then becomes an $8m/yr LT for 3 seasons, but he was considered such a risk they also re-signed Ijalana the day before so the two contracts can't be looked at independently (unless one becomes the starting RT).

LG - Carpenter will be entering his final contract year so the only likely ways to "spend on the OL" at his position in 2018 is to extend him early. Unless he gets badly injured or badly regresses between now and then, we all know what's coming: let him fully play out this contract through 2018 and then extend him in early 2019 at ~$12m/year.

RG - Just extended Winters for 4 years in 2017. Could have had him for a lot less, but that's what happens when a team waits and paints itself into a corner (or feels it has done so). Regardless, it's done.

RT - If Shell pans out there's nothing to do until 2019, when he'll be eligible for an early extension (and we should do it at that time if he's a keeper, while he's made no real money yet and is still 2 years away from any competitive bidding at his comparatively low-cost position). 

Considering there aren't any other younger veteran centers likely to become FAs in 2018, and it's a huge gamble to target that one position with a donut hole on the roster, we're likely re-upping Johnson. In other words, unless Beachum and/or Shell flop in 2017, we're keeping what we have now rather than upgrading any position on the line in FA.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Several Jets regimes in a row have been victims of OL neglect. Agree OL should be the focus. Also because these guys play a long time. You can build there and most of them will still be around when/if this rebuild is complete.

I wouldn't call them victims.  Idzik drafted a boatload of interior linemen in the middle rounds with what seemed to be the proper philosophy that they can be found in the middle rounds.  A for theory, C- in practice.  Maccagnan paid fairly big for Carpenter and has given Winters, Clady and now Beachum fairly big money.  

These guys both had the benefit of taking over a team with the most difficult position filled by a guy who never missed a snap and C was pretty much settled too.  I think we were spoiled by the Tannebaum/Faneca-Woody era line.  The Seahawks and Packers trot different bodies out there every week and keep doing the job.

I wouldn't call them victims.  Idzik drafted a boatload of interior linemen in the middle rounds with what seemed to be the proper philosophy that they can be found in the middle rounds.  A for theory, C- in practice.  Maccagnan paid fairly big for Carpenter and has given Winters, Clady and now Beachum fairly big money.  
These guys both had the benefit of taking over a team with the most difficult position filled by a guy who never missed a snap and C was pretty much settled too.  I think we were spoiled by the Tannebaum/Faneca-Woody era line.  The Seahawks and Packers trot different bodies out there every week and keep doing the job.

If you want premium players increase your odds with premium draft picks. Using 6 first rounders in a row on defense yes of course your OL is likely to suck

Just now, jgb said:

If you want premium players increase your odds with premium draft picks. Using 6 first rounders in a row on defense yes of course your OL is likely to suck

Sure, but the only position I consider premium on the OLine is LT.  If you draft an RT in the first it should be because you plan to transition him to LT. I do not want to hop around drafting guards and centers in the first.  That is almost as stupid as drafting safeties and inside linebackers!

Sure, but the only position I consider premium on the OLine is LT.  If you draft an RT in the first it should be because you plan to transition him to LT. I do not want to hop around drafting guards and centers in the first.  That is almost as stupid as drafting safeties and inside linebackers!

Yeah I know it's en vogue to say only LT is premium but fact is studs anywhere are premium. There was a time TE were afterthoughts until New England started blowing up the league. Cowboys oline carried two rookies to the pro bowl. Build a nasty vicious oline with studs all across and kevan Barlow could run for 1200 lol

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I know it's en vogue to say only LT is premium but fact is studs anywhere are premium. There was a time TE were afterthoughts until New England started blowing up the league. Cowboys oline carried two rookies to the pro bowl. Build a nasty vicious oline with studs all across and kevan Barlow could run for 1200 lol

Yeah, fine, whatever.

The point where the issue arises is, how many stud guards, right tackles, safeties and inside linebackers are there?

Mangold was an excellent to great center for a decade.  When did he make a difference?  You can't have a total stiff (I'm looking at you, Adrien Clarke, Jets CBs from 2014, WRs from 2013, etc) OTOH, replace a stud with a guy who is maybe 80%:  How big a difference is there?  Not much at C, S, G, TE, ILB, etc, IMO.  The Jets have had 3 stud 3-4DE for the past 2 years.  Did it really make much difference compared to Marques Douglas and Mike Devito? 

Yeah, fine, whatever.
The point where the issue arises is, how many stud guards, right tackles, safeties and inside linebackers are there?
Mangold was an excellent to great center for a decade.  When did he make a difference?  You can't have a total stiff (I'm looking at you, Adrien Clarke, Jets CBs from 2014, WRs from 2013, etc) OTOH, replace a stud with a guy who is maybe 80%:  How big a difference is there?  Not much at C, S, G, TE, ILB, etc, IMO.  The Jets have had 3 stud 3-4DE for the past 2 years.  Did it really make much difference compared to Marques Douglas and Mike Devito? 

Just because you couldn't see mangolds impact on some "jacked up" highlight real doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Archived