Quincy: Hard to argue Jets aren't tanking

j4jets

Entering the 2017 season, Jets fans have already resigned themselves to the fact that their favorite football team won't win many games. New York receiver Quincy Enunwa was blunt when talking about the Jets tanking this season. 

"It's hard to argue [with] that," Enunwa told the New York Post, "when everybody else sees all the stuff that's going on." 

The Jets have jettisoned nearly every veteran contract, including Eric DeckerDavid HarrisNick MangoldBrandon MarshallDarrelle Revis and others. 

Despite the overhaul that leaves Gang Green with little optimism heading into the season, young players like Enunwa must forge forward with a mindset to control what they can control. 

"It hasn't so much changed my mindset," Enunwa said. "A lot of the guys just want to win. Whatever it takes. I know they cut some guys obviously, but that's the business. 

"I don't think any player is going to tank. Our jobs are on the line. Our families [depend on us]. We're out there to work and get our paycheck and win games. People are always going to say that kind of stuff, but we're just going to play." 

It's the Jets front office that is tanking the season, not the players or coaching staff. While the general manager has taken a course in hopes to better set up the franchise for the long-term, young players like Enunwa can't have a tanker's mindset and hope to keep a job long. 

Jets players will battle like always, even if they've been set up to fail in 2017. 

The Jets aren't actually "Tanking" the season as in they aren't trying to win the games.  They have finally realized where the talent on their roster is.  Not good.  Time to rebuild.

Nothing would please the Jets' FO more then for there to be a miracle and Hack steps up and shows he is a true starting QB.  Plus have a lot of the young guys step up and show they can play in the NFL at a high level.

If that doesn't happen, and they suck, they get the possibility of selecting a very good QB...........Maybe.

players don't tank ..there's no special meeting before a game where its said lets suck today and lose cause we want a draft pick. 

The Jets are obviously going into full rebuild mode since our owner has finally come to grips that the Vets on this team have fallen off enough it no longer makes sense to try and win with this group and of course the huge question mark at QB was no help. 

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

That is odd.  We have little difficulty finding people on these boards who are prepared to dispute the "tank" analysis.

Right, and I am one of them. This is total and complete July boredom bull$hit. I will say the fact that Bubba Gump is still our HC does point in the direction of the organization having given up already, but I refuse to believe the players, young, unestablished, trying to make it in the NFL will lose on purpose.

This is my weekly reminder that cutting overpaid underperforming old players isn't "tanking" - 2 of the 5 players mentioned as being "jettisoned" have not been signed by other teams and the other 3 are making substantially less than they would have made here

Which of the players that were released would anybody here want back at the salary they were due to make? Harris, maybe, the rest can pound sand

Just now, flgreen said:

The Jets aren't actually "Tanking" the season as in they aren't trying to win the games.  They have finally realized where the talent on their roster is.  Not good.  Time to rebuild.

Nothing would please the Jets' FO then for there to be a miracle and Hack steps up and shows he is a true starting QB.  Plus have a lot of the young guys step up and show they can play in the NFL at a high level.

If that doesn't happen, and they suck, they get the possibility of selecting a very good QB...........Maybe.

I agree with much of this.  Ditching the contracts of older, higher paid performers frees up playing time for our youth movement.  At least we will know what we have.  If anyone truly outperforms expectations, the extra cash on hand gives the GM a chance to lock up our own talent at a reasonable price.  Something we had several chances to do with David Harris for example and yet we never did it.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Right, and I am one of them. This is total and complete July boredom bull$hit. I will say the fact that Bubba Gump is still our HC does point in the direction of the organization having given up already, but I refuse to believe the players, young, unestablished, trying to make it in the NFL will lose on purpose.

I don't think the Colts players tanked for Andrew Luck either.  I just think that front office decisions created circumstances in which winning was highly unlikely.

The players did not tank.  The organization did.

It is weird- we are terrible but IMO not intentionally so just for the sake of sucking-

not a single released veteran Jet has signed a contract equal to the contract he was cut from.  Think about that. Every single guy was overpaid so cutting them was good business. Hell, our Thor God Nick Mangold is still on the street as is our GOAT CB. These Overpaid vets helped us win 5 games last season so the smart business move was to cut em.

the market has spoken- they weren't worth what the jets were paying them so this tanking talk is very inaccurate to me. We suck but not necessarily intentionally.

IMG_3525.jpg?fit=2140%2C1440

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwa may have stopped short of saying the club was about to kick off a season that’s been set up to see the team win no more than a game or two, but he did acknowledge that those who feel that way are justified in doing so.

Speaking with the New York Post, Enunwa, when asked about the tank talk said, “It’s hard to argue with that when everybody else sees all the stuff that’s going on.”  The “stuff” Enunwa is referring to of course, is the purging of the Jets roster that has seen veteran stalwarts David Harris and Nick Mangold let go, along with the likes of Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis and Marcus Gilchrist.

IMG_3525.jpg?resize=300%2C202

Looking forward to an expanded role in 2017, Quincy Enunwa has acknowledged the team’s lack of veteran talent.

All of the cuts have left the Jets with few established leaders on offense or defense as the front office prepares to take an extended look at the team’s young players as they hope to set themselves up to draft of the future with what will likely be a top-three pick in the 2018 draft.

Enunwa would go on to make the point that has seemed to escape some Jets fans who are under the impression that the term “tank” suggests that any lack of effort on the part of the players will be a part of that plan.  Enunwa says that just isn’t so; “I don’t think any player is going to tank.  Our jobs are on the line. Our families depend on us. We’re out there to work and get our paycheck and win games. People are always going to say that kind of stuff, but we’re just going to play.”

It’s a valid point by Enunwa and one that fans should realize when they tune in on Sundays.  This is something being done by a front office looking to free up significant cap room while putting themselves in position to draft a franchise quarterback just under a year from now.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
c6oREn4H6l4

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

"It's hard to argue [with] that," Enunwa told the New York Post, "when everybody else sees all the stuff that's going on." 

Whatever else he says in the piece, this is the underlying mindset: we have no chance. 

Sure, the coaches are coaching for their jobs, and the players are playing for their jobs, but it's hard not to be discouraged when you're 2-7 and haven't won a game in five weeks. Bowles really has his work cut out for him, having to keep this locker room focused for seventeen weeks. This is the #1 reason why Hackenberg should start week #1 in my mind. At least on opening day, there's still a little optimism. Players will be playing hard those first few weeks. It's also the stretch where -on paper- the Jets' opponents look the weakest. Give the team and the kid a chance for some early success and see what happens. Throwing Hack in there when they've already reached that 2-7 mark really gives the kid no chance. This year really should be all about him, for better or worse. 

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I don't think the Colts players tanked for Andrew Luck either.  I just think that front office decisions created circumstances in which winning was highly unlikely.

That is a story that made the story of the means fit the hindsight ending (drafting Luck).

The Colts - the FO and coaches - were all in that season. They'd just signed Manning to a 5-year $100m contract when the lockout ended so they could make room to sign others, and then signed Collins for millions more in late August to bridge the time before Manning could return (which we now know never happened).

The GM and HC were both canned after that season. That doesn't happen in a FO-coordinated/planned tank job. 

As it turned out, they lost the first few anyway with Collins, who got a career ending concussion, and at that point they weren't scrambling to find another replacement starter, and then just went with Painter. They didn't even throw in the towel on Manning for 3+ months, waiting until December to actually put him on IR.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Players never tank. That's like set in stones. Tank job is done by the GM and sometimes GM n HC. 

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

No player tanks. The front office tanks. 

I'm looking for a young team that's tries its all, that refuses to give in, that does not "mail it in" like the high paid Vet's we had on our Team last year,

Revis was in my top 2 Jets, but watching him not trying to tackle last year, giving zero effort and avoiding contact, he's now not on any Best Jets list of mine any more.

I want to see effort, Wins may, and will be hard to come by, but I can handle that, watching a young team try every week, I cant watch the sh*t show they put on last year. I can handle losing I cant handle zero effort.

I will leave Bowles out of this, but I want to see the young guys play and grow.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That is a story that made the story of the means fit the hindsight ending (drafting Luck).

The Colts - the FO and coaches - were all in that season. They'd just signed Manning to a 5-year $100m contract when the lockout ended so they could make room to sign others, and then signed Collins for millions more in late August to bridge the time before Manning could return (which we now know never happened).

The GM and HC were both canned after that season. That doesn't happen in a FO-coordinated/planned tank job. 

As it turned out, they lost the first few anyway with Collins, who got a career ending concussion, and at that point they weren't scrambling to find another replacement starter, and then just went with Painter. They didn't even throw in the towel on Manning for 3+ months, waiting until December to actually put him on IR.

That's the thing I always found most comical about this story.  Pretty much everyone associated with the Colts lost their jobs over that season, but we're somehow supposed to believe that disaster was intentional.  It's made even more ridiculous when the Colts nearly played themselves out of the #1 pick in December.

A team-wide agreement of a loss will simply never happen, with perhaps the only possible exception being week 17 of an already lost season (and even then, we've seen the exact opposite happen plenty of times).

If Macc n Bowles were really smart, they'd schedule some scrimmages down in Texas with Zeke and gang.

Then promote some social nightlife.

That would hopefully result in some of our key pieces being suspended.  Keep them healthy, lose easier, and the suspensions will undoubtedly make re-signing those players much cheaper down the road.

Wins all around.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I'm looking for a young team that's tries its all, that refuses to give in, that does not "mail it in" like the high paid Vet's we had on our Team last year,

Revis was in my top 2 Jets, but watching him not trying to tackle last year, giving zero effort and avoiding contact, he's now not on any Best Jets list of mine any more.

I want to see effort, Wins may, and will be hard to come by, but I can handle that, watching a young team try every week, I cant watch the sh*t show they put on last year. I can handle losing I cant handle zero effort.

I will leave Bowles out of this, but I want to see the young guys play and grow.

As a long time yankees fan I have had a hard time watching the Yankees the last few years. Just a bunch of old vets collecting huge paychecks and putting up mediocore numbers... at best. I was very excited to start this year to watch the kids grow (Sanchez/Bird/Judge/Severino/Hicks and maybe guys like Frazier/Torres etc..) I knew, or so I thought, they had no chance to compete but was still excited to watch. Turns out the kids developed faster than people expected and they have been competitive and could make the playoffs. 

I go into this season the same way. I am looking forward to seeing which kids turn into players we can build around. That will happen whether we go 10-6 or the more likely 3-13. But it's still going to be better than watching guys like Revis collect a paycheck.

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my weekly reminder that cutting overpaid underperforming old players isn't "tanking" - 2 of the 5 players mentioned as being "jettisoned" have not been signed by other teams and the other 3 are making substantially less than they would have made here

Which of the players that were released would anybody here want back at the salary they were due to make? Harris, maybe, the rest can pound sand

B-Marsh and Decker too, right?

And yes... they are tanking.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I suspect this is what Woody will be watching (from afar) as well.

No playoff mandate for TB. Keep the young kids hungry and playing hard and you keep your job.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I suspect this is what Woody will be watching (from afar) as well.

No playoff mandate for TB. Keep the young kids hungry and playing hard and you keep your job.

I kept TB out if it, since he's part of the problem and not the cure.

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

I kept TB out if it, since he's part of the problem and not the cure.

I suspect he is too, but this year will be a good measuring stick for him.

Didn't read the whole article. I like QE. Appreciate at the end of last season how he said he wanted to step up and be a leader this season. However, leaders don't say it looks like we're tanking this season. You shut up, go to work, compete and set a positive tone for your teammates. 

10 hours ago, EM31 said:

Go head. Name em. Name all those tanking decision the Colts did. And then name the GM that got fired and the Coach that got fired.

15 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Go head. Name em. Name all those tanking decision the Colts did. And then name the GM that got fired and the Coach that got fired.

1) Signing OUT OF RETIREMENT and Starting a 36 year old Journeyman QB named Kerry Collins. Once he broke down they started Orlovsky, who WON them 2 games, so they benched him and decided to start Curtis Painter for the rest of the season. CURTIS PAINTER!!! 

2) The GM Chris Polian was fired after that season

3) as was Jim Caldwell. Notable staff members include future coordinatos: Jim Bob Cooter, Frank REich, Ron Turner, and Al Williams. 

Archived