### Jets \ Lions -- Preseason Week Two, Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see the full play of Hack getting sacked, but Costello just said it may have been on Powell.  I only saw the replay and couldn't see the back from that angle.  Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That wasnt protection, that was the QB having to set his protection and understanding the guy that he was responsible for. Hackenberg ****ed that up and got blown up because of it. 

So what protection calls for not blocking the DE?  He came in untouched. 

That wasnt protection, that was the QB having to set his protection and understanding the guy that he was responsible for. Hackenberg ****ed that up and got blown up because of it. 

That's inaccurate on a few levels.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

RB missed his assignment to block ?

Possibly though it didnt look like it. That didnt look like it was Shell's fault. Shell took the inside guy and Hack was hit by the outside guy rushing. If Hack set his protection he should have known the possible guy coming in for a blitz. That's when you go to your hot route. The edge guy was uncovered the entire time and Hack didnt realize it because he didnt even see him. If the back missed the block then I take that back but that looked like Hackenberg didnt understand his protection relative to the set up of the defensive front. 

Just now, AFJF said:

I didn't see the full play of Hack getting sacked, but Costello just said it may have been on Powell.  I only saw the replay and couldn't see the back from that angle.  Thoughts?

I think shell. Don't normally see DEs turned loose on RBs

Hack did look a little stiff and upright on that drop back tho, no?

Kinda like he's just going thru the motions. Which I remember being part why he looked like crap at Penn St.

Hopefully he's ok.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Possibly though it didnt look like it. That didnt look like it was Shell's fault. Shell took the inside buy and Hack guy hit by the outside guy rushing. If Hack set his protection he should have known the possible guy coming in for a blitz. That's when you go to your hot route. The edge guy was uncovered the entire time and Hack didnt realize it because he didnt even see him. If the back missed the block then I take that back but that looked like Hackenberg didnt understand his protection relative to the set up of the defensive front. 

Impossible

Just now, Lupz27 said:

That sack is on the play calling also, how do you put that kid in his first career start in a 3rd and 8 position with 2 runs up the middle for 1 yard, let the kid air one out early even for a dump off get him comfortable geez.

i think Hack changed the play to a  run on 2nd down 

Just now, GandWFan said:

So what protection calls for not blocking the DE?  He came in untouched. 

If you have 5 Olinemen and you see 6 defenders on the line it's the job of the QB to set the protection and the uncovered guy is his responsibility. This is why you run hot routes. That looked like it was Hacks fault. I could be wrong, but you set protections for a reason. Shell took the inside guy, which is what a lineman is supposed to always do because the inside guy is closer in distance to the QB. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Possibly though it didnt look like it. That didnt look like it was Shell's fault. Shell took the inside buy and Hack guy hit by the outside guy rushing. If Hack set his protection he should have known the possible guy coming in for a blitz. That's when you go to your hot route. The edge guy was uncovered the entire time and Hack didnt realize it because he didnt even see him. If the back missed the block then I take that back but that looked like Hackenberg didnt understand his protection relative to the set up of the defensive front. 

DE don't Blitz they rush it's a surprise if they drop in coverage not rush.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Definitely, blame goes to Shell first and then Powell. Then Morton and Bowles, then uhh Wes Johnson or something

Why is it unreasonable to you that a RB who hasn't been in practice for, what, 2-3 weeks may have blew something??

If you have 5 Olinemen and you see 6 defenders on the line it's the job of the QB to set the protection and the uncovered guy is his responsibility. This is why you run hot routes. That looked like it was Hacks fault. I could be wrong, but you set protections for a reason. Shell took the inside guy, which is what a lineman is supposed to always do because the inside guy is closer in distance to the QB. 

Yeah. Glennon would have gotten sacked way more elegantly.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Guard took the inside guy as well tho

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

DE don't Blitz they rush it's a surprise if they drop in coverage not rush.

Outside of the semantics, you get my point. It's Shell's responsibility to take the inside guy and let the outside man go free. It's the QB's responsibility to see and understand that when setting his protection. If he set his protection then he should have known that a DE that is "not blitzing" will be uncovered. That's not Shell's fault when Im looking at Shell block the inside guy. 

Archived