How can anyone still defend Macagnan?

Philc1

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Imagine what this defense would look like if we would have hired jim shwartz as our dc instead of kacey Rodgers. Bowles wouldn't have to worry about the defense and could maybe attempt to work at being a better head coach instead of worrying about making excuses to keep his friend employed.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Could have gotten Wade Phillips this off season... 

Rodgers is going to be the reason they're all fired..  

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I stated in another thread I'm starting to sour on Mac and whether he should continue as GM depends entirely on how his picks do this year. Which is somewhat hard to evaluate because as of now, most are not playing. With that said here is how I see things:

2015 Draft - Not good. Obviously Williams is a stud but the rest of the picks are not on active rosters. I have given up hope on Mauldin. This draft COULD turn into a good one if Petty starts and plays well. 

2016 Draft - Teetering on Negative. Lee looks bad and Hack is a disaster. However, Jenkins, Burris, Shell and Edwards performed decently yesterday. If Peake could see the field and show improvement it would be hard to call this draft class a bust even with Lee and Hack. You don't dump GM's who potentially hit on 5 out of 7 picks. 

2017 Draft - This is where I believe Mac either stays or goes. For the most part, Adams looked good. Maye looks lost but hard to judge a rookie in his first game and safety isn't the easiest position. Stewart, Hansen, Leggett and McGuire NEED to see extensive playing time this year. They need to be evaluated quickly and in game situations that actually matter as opposed to the end of the year when the team has given up.

Long story short - Hard to tell as of right now whether Mac should keep his job. If the majority of Mac's picks in the 2017 draft look like solid contributors/starters moving forward, I find it VERY hard to believe that you can let him go after this season. I think if you do, when these guys hit their peak we will be reminiscing on the drafts similar to how some reminisce about Mangini's drafts. Of course, if the players look like crap then it's time to clean house and bring in a new guy for 2018.  

As I stated in another thread I'm starting to sour on Mac and whether he should continue as GM depends entirely on how his picks do this year. Which is somewhat hard to evaluate because as of now, most are not playing. With that said here is how I see things:
2015 Draft - Not good. Obviously Williams is a stud but the rest of the picks are not on active rosters. I have given up hope on Mauldin. This draft COULD turn into a good one if Petty starts and plays well. 
2016 Draft - Teetering on Negative. Lee looks bad and Hack is a disaster. However, Jenkins, Burris, Shell and Edwards performed decently yesterday. If Peake could see the field and show improvement it would be hard to call this draft class a bust even with Lee and Hack. You don't dump GM's who potentially hit on 5 out of 7 picks. 
2017 Draft - This is where I believe Mac either stays or goes. For the most part, Adams looked good. Maye looks lost but hard to judge a rookie in his first game and safety isn't the easiest position. Stewart, Hansen, Leggett and McGuire NEED to see extensive playing time this year. They need to be evaluated quickly and in game situations that actually matter as opposed to the end of the year when the team has given up.

Long story short - Hard to tell as of right now whether Mac should keep his job. If the majority of Mac's picks in the 2017 draft look like solid contributors/starters moving forward, I find it VERY hard to believe that you can let him go after this season. I think if you do, when these guys hit their peak we will be reminiscing on the drafts similar to how some reminisce about Mangini's drafts. Of course, if the players look like crap then it's time to clean house and bring in a new guy for 2018.  

Something else to keep in mind before your final verdict is that we kept idziks scouting staff the first season with macc because he didn't want to bring in a new team and have them to a hurried job scrambling a year's worth of work into a few weeks before the draft.

15 hours ago, HessStation said:

The best microcosm for how ****ed up this team is and how bad the GM sucks, Harrison is now a premier dominant force in the NFL, Richardson looked terrific today with Seattle and Mo Wilkerson looked like a fat, lazy piece of sh*t. 

Really profound analysis, except PFF had Wilkerson's performance graded higher than Richardson's and just a hair below Harrison's.

21 hours ago, Pac said:

What QB's have been available for christs sakes? 

Last year; Dak Prescott to name one.  Sure other teams passed over him but so what? Dak in the third made more sense then Hack in the second....  This draft, Kiser and Mahomes may haunt us for years...

Just now, JetBlue said:

Last year; Dak Prescott to name one.  Sure other teams passed over him but so what? Dak in the third made more sense then Hack in the second....  This draft, Kiser and Mahomes may haunt us for years...

Mahomes is going to stay on the bench after that Alex Smith performance against NE.

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Don't forget Watson, Trubisky and Carson Wentz. Any of the above would be light years better than the shiz Macc has added to the roster. 

Why do people assume that just because a player went before the Jets pick that we had no chance to aquire them? In both cases, Trubisky and Wentz, QB needy teams aggressively traded up to draft these guys. The Jets are allowed to do that too, for those that didn't realize. 

So ppl just need to stop with the crap argument that Macc hasn't had a chance to add a worthy QB prospect. He has....multiple times. 

45 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Having heard the news that Adams played only 19 snaps at safety pisses me off. 

And Macc should be pissed off too. He drafts moldable talent and hands them over to a dimwit. Darron Lee is the same way. Moldable talent, hands him over to a dimwit

Its a disgrace. Macccc gives him gold and he turns it into sh*t

57 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Something else to keep in mind before your final verdict is that we kept idziks scouting staff the first season with macc because he didn't want to bring in a new team and have them to a hurried job scrambling a year's worth of work into a few weeks before the draft.

I thought this preposterous excuse died long ago. Because as the head scout of an NFL team, which was the only basis for his promotion to GM in the first place, Maccagnan was surely excused from knowing who these prospects were. He had no personal notes. No emails he sent to himself. He made no effort to save information he had in Texas while putting his name out there for a promotion to GM.

Same with the man Macc made senior director of scouting in January of 2015, who was a national scout the prior 3 seasons with Chicago.

Also they have the internet, and access to every college game's film. High school and college kids on the internet perform more successful mock drafts without access to any college scouts, past or present.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought this preposterous excuse died long ago. Because as the head scout of an NFL team, which was the only basis for his promotion to GM in the first place, Maccagnan was surely excused from knowing who these prospects were. He had no personal notes. No emails he sent to himself. He made no effort to save information he had in Texas while putting his name out there for a promotion to GM.

Same with the man Macc made senior director of scouting in January of 2015, who was a national scout the prior 3 seasons with Chicago.

Also they have the internet, and access to every college game's film. High school and college kids on the internet perform more successful mock drafts without access to any college scouts, past or present.

The Igzdick holdovers saboutaged him. They did it to Rex, now their doing it to Macccc, disgusting

All I am saying is that he probably had input in his first draft from the old regime...do you honestly think he didn't or wouldn't have looked at their scouting reports just because he was with the Texans and had seen theirs? Your claim that high schoolers and college kids on the internet have more draft success is absurd, I have been a member of the forum long enough to see everyone's mocks year in and year out how they are drafting guys who go in the third round in the first and how they go silent each time one of the guys they liked plays poorly or how they brag about the one guy they got right in the passed 10 years as if they are a complete genius ignoring the other 30 picks they would have flopped on.

44 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So tired hearing about Mahomes..  he won't play for a year or more and he's the furthest from a sure thing there is.   

He can't beat out Alex Smith who has never exhibited anything more than a basic level of competency.  

I know the Youtubez has some rad clips but scrambling QB's launching Bernie Kosar looking passes from the hip on the run isn't usually a recipe for success.

I guess at least people have finally stopped telling us how much we'll rue the day we passed on Paxton Lynch. 

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

All I am saying is that he probably had input in his first draft from the old regime...do you honestly think he didn't or wouldn't have looked at their scouting reports just because he was with the Texans and had seen theirs? Your claim that high schoolers and college kids on the internet have more draft success is absurd, I have been a member of the forum long enough to see everyone's mocks year in and year out how they are drafting guys who go in the third round in the first and how they go silent each time one of the guys they liked plays poorly or how they brag about the one guy they got right in the passed 10 years as if they are a complete genius ignoring the other 30 picks they would have flopped on.

Obviously I meant on specialized draft sites, not team forums.

36 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I guess I'll bite. I've done decently in our mocks the last 3 years or so. I'd say at least 60% of the guys I've taken produce some level of baseline pro production at their respective positions. The effort I put into this is basically looking at their combine numbers in certain drills and see how they translate to pro success. I also cross walk it with the one draft guide I purchase every year. It takes no more than 20 minutes. I've done significantly better than the Jets (as have many others)

Here are the last 3 JN mocks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1noxFAav64fJ9QOM65DcBFI0AbPMr-xaJou8m5m_pqds/edit#gid=2107347926

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kCslja7fLkZ5dD_sWR2inT5Qv31eCWR1Uz9-QW96bKE/edit#gid=836624676

This isnt all that difficult and we're not privy to the one on one interviews or medical history.

This team was supposed to get better its Macc and Bowles 3rd year this team was supposed to show improvement I saw nothing yesterday that would lead me to believe this team is moving in the right direction. 

We were hamstrung by the owner wanting to win now with fitzmagic and an aging roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This team was supposed to get better its Macc and Bowles 3rd year this team was supposed to show improvement I saw nothing yesterday that would lead me to believe this team is moving in the right direction. 

That was Todd Bowles' All New SB-Ready SmartJets we saw yesterday.

He smartened up the roster so the coaches can "emulate" them. Remember that quote?

3 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Lets not argue.  Both Mac and Bowles are terrible in their own ways.

100% agree. There is nothing to argue. It almost looks as though they are both sabotaging this franchise to make it as bad as is football-y possible. 

4 hours ago, Pac said:

So tired hearing about Mahomes..  he won't play for a year or more and he's the furthest from a sure thing there is.   

He can't beat out Alex Smith who has never exhibited anything more than a basic level of competency.  

I know the Youtubez has some rad clips but scrambling QB's launching Bernie Kosar looking passes from the hip on the run isn't usually a recipe for success.

I guess at least people have finally stopped telling us how much we'll rue the day we passed on Paxton Lynch. 

Yet if Mahomes were on the Jets he would likely be starting....

4 hours ago, Pac said:

So?  Maybe that's because there's an actual NFL-caliber starting qb on the roster?

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Alex Smith 45-27 record as a starter for the Chiefs and destroyed the Patriots at Foxboro.  But yeah he sucks.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Yeah I know anyone who disagrees with you is 5 years old.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, LionelRichie said:

The issue is that you don't rebuild with tiny linebackers and 2 safeties.  You need to address the meaningful positions: OT, QB, pass rush, WR.   These are the positions that  Macc has neglected for 3 years.   

what has macc done to make you confident that he can lead a rebuild?   Next year we take QB 1st and then rather than address OL or WR we are going to here about value when taking the best available DL with the next 3 picks.  

The guy clearly doesn't have a cohesive plan and is just making random uncoordinated moves. 

I'd argue that a true rebuild starts with one unit and one unit only...offensive line.  Without it you can't develop a qb, your WR's can't finish a route and you have no running game to fall back on.  Even if the Jets should get their star QB next year, he'll be beaten to death before he can be any good.  Dak Prescott started with an excellent Oline, the 'Boys did it right.  Andrew Luck, who has twice the talent, is a wasted cap hit, because there is no supporting cast on that team, and no protection.  Colts did it wrong.  And then you have the Jets starting the likes of Brent Qvale, Wesley Johnson and Kelvin Beachum (at LT no less).  This team is years away from building a competitive roster.

23 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'd argue that a true rebuild starts with one unit and one unit only...offensive line.  Without it you can't develop a qb, your WR's can't finish a route and you have no running game to fall back on.  Even if the Jets should get their star QB next year, he'll be beaten to death before he can be any good.  Dak Prescott started with an excellent Oline, the 'Boys did it right.  Andrew Luck, who has twice the talent, is a wasted cap hit, because there is no supporting cast on that team, and no protection.  Colts did it wrong.  And then you have the Jets starting the likes of Brent Qvale, Wesley Johnson and Kelvin Beachum (at LT no less).  This team is years away from building a competitive roster.

That is we need to keep Petty and Hack and spend our cap room on as many good OL we can sign.  The Jets should do like Eli and the Giants and let the number 1 watch and learn for awhile.  

5 hours ago, Pac said:

LOL

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is we need to keep Petty and Hack and spend our cap room on as many good OL we can sign.  The Jets should do like Eli and the Giants and let the number 1 watch and learn for awhile.  

I want Hackenberg and his stink as far away from our roster next year as possible.

On September 10, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Philc1 said:

He had a lot of defenders here.  Oh so quiet now.

The team is the HC's vision, not the GM's.

Macc is a money manager, a glorified accountant, number cruncher, stat machine. His job is to deliver who and what the HC wants according to the HC's plan.

Macc is the dealmaker. Bowles is football. Bowles is the mastermind, strategist, battlefield General.

His job is to lead, teach, develop, oversee development, build a staff, oversee the staff, establish a culture, inspire, and utilize everybody - player and coach - effectively to make his plan work. 

This team looks slow, sloppy, stupid, unprepared in every football category just like last year. Let's fire the front office manager.

If you want plug & play superstars that conceal sucky coaching, that's fine. But those players are mostly pricey vet FAs bred by other teams, not raw draft picks homegrown by Todd Bowles.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:13 AM, Philc1 said:

His drafts suck.  $20 million in dead cap room. He cannot evaluate the qb position at all.  How on Earth can some jets fans still want this guy picking our qb next Spring?

Even the trolls are less invested in this season

Archived