Time to see if Petty is Ready

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The time to go to Petty was in September.  With the bye coming up this would be the next best time................Not happening.  

Just don’t watch. Do you know what gets coaches fired? Indifference. I told my wife after that snoozer, if Bowles sticks with McCown after that stinker after the bye our Sundays are WIDE OPEN. Not taking Deshaun Watson had me thinking they MUST believe in Petty or Hackenberg. Anyhoo, I’m back to wanting a better draft pick & the teams they have coming up should leave us at 4-12. I just want to be in the top 3/4 hopefully with the Bears being one of those teams. 

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The time to go to Petty was in September.  With the bye coming up this would be the next best time................Not happening.  

yep, starting petty after he won the imaginary QB competition would have been a novel idea..

so would starting him after the bye..

but like you said, not happening.. 

bowles is going to hold on to mccown like grim death..

why he will inevitably be allowed to, is mind numbing.. to me, anyway..

21 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

yep, starting petty after he won the imaginary QB competition would have been a novel idea..

so would starting him after the bye..

but like you said, not happening.. 

bowles is going to hold on to mccown like grim death..

why he will inevitably be allowed to, is mind numbing.. to me, anyway..

To me at least, this is like "Ground Hog Day".  Bowles will be back next year.  I'll be expecting him to announce shortly that not only will McCown be the starter after the bye, but he'll b e the starter next year.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I believe strongly that the time for McCown has come and gone. So I fully support a QB change. I do think they believe that Petty will never be a starting QB in this league. I am in the minority but I think there is a chance when they make a QB change, they go straight to Hackenberg. 

I am not saying Hackenberg will be good. Chances are both Petty & Hack aren't the answer.

Either way, they should bench McCown and go with Petty, I would fully support that. Start dressing the two kids and let's see if either one of them can play.

The 'time' for McCown should never have come in the first place.

If Petty had started the season and sucked, so be it, move onto Hack.  Last resort??  That should have been Josh McCown.

If Petty had produced what McCown did so far, we'd all feel great that at the least we have a back-up QB on the roster with potential to improve.  If Petty bombed, you cut his a** and use the losses to draft a replacement.  Same for Hack.

Only the Jets would sign a washed up and mediocre QB 'mentor' at age 38, and then actually PLAY HIM as the first choice all while full well knowing THEY STILL NEED A QB.  Josh McCown with this roster (hell, with any roster), was NOT going to win 10 games and make the playoffs.  There was NO point in playing McCown.

Ahhh....what's the use.  We'll see either Petty and/or Hack after McCown posts loss 8 or so with a deflated team that's making plans for Spring Break.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I’m all for a QB change but that’s still not gonna improve the horrendous oline. There was sacks and pressures all day and the run game was non existent. So sure...let Petty take the beating too. 

There will always be sacks and pressure when you stubbornly try to run into an 8 man front and setup your QB all day with 3rd and longs . 

The problem is our veteran QB is not very capable of giving himself time in the pocket, he had lots off chances to step up or  roll out today but simply absorbed sacks by staying in the pocket.

Undoubtedly Petty or Hack will face the same fronts until they burn the defense with their arms , but at least those two QB's have the ability to really stretch the field.  Its time for the change , two weeks to prepare for Carolina. 

27 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

If Petty had started the season and sucked, so be it, move onto Hack.  Last resort??  That should have been Josh McCown.

If Petty had produced what McCown did so far, we'd all feel great that at the least we have a back-up QB on the roster with potential to improve.  If Petty bombed, you cut his a** and use the losses to draft a replacement.  Same for Hack.

Only the Jets would sign a washed up and mediocre QB 'mentor' at age 38, and then actually PLAY HIM as the first choice all while full well knowing THEY STILL NEED A QB.  Josh McCown with this roster (hell, with any roster), was NOT going to win 10 games and make the playoffs.  There was NO point in playing McCown.

Ahhh....what's the use.  We'll see either Petty and/or Hack after McCown posts loss 8 or so with a deflated team that's making plans for Spring Break.

I agree with most of this post except the bolded.  I think giving McCown the first few games gave the team a chance to stabilize in this new offense. He was able to make all the calls/audibles/ etc.. which is something I doubt either young guy could.  I would have made the switch at 2-3 , but I certainly would make the switch heading into the bye. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree with most of this post except the bolded.  I think giving McCown the first few games gave the team a chance to stabilize in this new offense. He was able to make all the calls/audibles/ etc.. which is something I doubt either young guy could.  I would have made the switch at 2-3 , but I certainly would make the switch heading into the bye. 

I can understand that to a degree....but...

The easiest part of our schedule was clearly the first half, which is now long over...would have rathered have had the young guys get 1/2 a season of 1st string reps and game experience before hitting the difficult part of the schedule while trying to make an assessment as to where they may or may not be at this point.

It's time to stop making excuses and rip the QB band-aid off for once.  If Petty was 4-6 right now, I'd be ecstatic.  With McCown it means nothing to me, in fact it's counter-productive towards obtaining his replacement.

I'm in a suicide pool that had me picking DET today, so spent time flipping back and forth between games...and I have to say, Kizer did not play a bad game today (until he was knocked out of the game early in the 4th qtr)...it actually looked like he made some PROGRESS.  Wish we had the opportunity to see our young QB's for more than a few token games with a beaten team, like Petty last yr.

44 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Yep, and the cycle begins again

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Have we really seen enough of Petty to know this for sure. He looked decent in preseason in the limited snaps he got and then he got hurt so I haven't see enough of him yet. Lets see what he can do in some real games. 

IMO?  No, we haven't.

The only time we've seen Petty is with limited 1st string reps and/or with a thoroughly beaten, demoralized team.

But let's see what Josh has to offer...who knows, right?

44 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree with most of this post except the bolded.  I think giving McCown the first few games gave the team a chance to stabilize in this new offense. He was able to make all the calls/audibles/ etc.. which is something I doubt either young guy could.  I would have made the switch at 2-3 , but I certainly would make the switch heading into the bye. 

i think giving mccown the first few games gave bowles the in he needed to start him in every meaningful game this season..

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I believe strongly that the time for McCown has come and gone. So I fully support a QB change. I do think they believe that Petty will never be a starting QB in this league. I am in the minority but I think there is a chance when they make a QB change, they go straight to Hackenberg. 

I am not saying Hackenberg will be good. Chances are both Petty & Hack aren't the answer.

Either way, they should bench McCown and go with Petty, I would fully support that. Start dressing the two kids and let's see if either one of them can play.

I agree 100%. Enough is enough. McCown is not making any tough throws out there and hasn't all season long. Time to see if some regular season action can help either of the two QB's (Hack and Petty)

6 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Hundley looked decent today (5th round pick)

Brisset seems like he is getting better as well (3rd round pick)

Beathard (3rd round pick) just bet the Giants

both would have done better than McCown today - have to see what the Jets own 2nd and 4th round picks can do on the field at some point this year, even if it is just confirming they are busts - nothing to lose at all

Weird, is that what happens when kids get to play, and learn.  they get better?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

What does starting McCown for 2 more games accomplish exactly?

You show your young team that at the first sign of adversity you don't curl up in the fetal position and succumb to whining fans. 

This is pretty obvious stuff here.  At least to me anyway.

its crazy to rule out Petty so fast as our potential qb. Most qb's take time to show they're good. Prescott and Watson are the exception to the rule, most take years to develop. What McCown did this year, Petty could have probably duplicated. Why didn't they put in Petty to give a spark?  We are so Boring.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

You show your young team that at the first sign of adversity you don't curl up in the fetal position and succumb to whining fans. 

Do you honestly believe the team is all super gung ho on McClown? He has definitely single handedly lost at least 2 games for us, and is clearly ineffective as a QB. Putting Petty might actually energize the team.

I truly don't get the Petty hatred. He clearly improved over the offseason, his teammates love him. he had a perfect game in his last action, he has a big arm and we always knew it would take a few years to develop him, yet people seem to love spitting unfounded rhetoric like "we know he sucks" etc... and yet are OK with a QB that has ACTUALLY shown he sucks over a long career. But let's keep playing the old fugger and not even give him an opportunity to see if he build on that preseason. And news flash: McClown is running a rookie offense, he is that bad. Petty would be just at good in this offense.
Bowles wouldn't know what a qb looked like if it hit him in the ass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

There will always be sacks and pressure when you stubbornly try to run into an 8 man front and setup your QB all day with 3rd and longs . 

The problem is our veteran QB is not very capable of giving himself time in the pocket, he had lots off chances to step up or  roll out today but simply absorbed sacks by staying in the pocket.

Undoubtedly Petty or Hack will face the same fronts until they burn the defense with their arms , but at least those two QB's have the ability to really stretch the field.  Its time for the change , two weeks to prepare for Carolina. 

I had visions of Baker Mayfield escaping the pocket all day yesterday and hitting his WR's and TE's and leading and WILLING the JETS to a win yesterday.

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I can understand that to a degree....but...

The easiest part of our schedule was clearly the first half, which is now long over...would have rathered have had the young guys get 1/2 a season of 1st string reps and game experience before hitting the difficult part of the schedule while trying to make an assessment as to where they may or may not be at this point.

It's time to stop making excuses and rip the QB band-aid off for once.  If Petty was 4-6 right now, I'd be ecstatic.  With McCown it means nothing to me, in fact it's counter-productive towards obtaining his replacement.

I'm in a suicide pool that had me picking DET today, so spent time flipping back and forth between games...and I have to say, Kizer did not play a bad game today (until he was knocked out of the game early in the 4th qtr)...it actually looked like he made some PROGRESS.  Wish we had the opportunity to see our young QB's for more than a few token games with a beaten team, like Petty last yr.

Amen brother... I've been saying this till the cows come home.  McCown should have never started the season. 

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_6605-3.jpg

The casual fan knows it, the die-hard fan know it, and despite the fact that he may not do anything about it, Todd Bowles knows it.  It’s time for Bryce Petty to take over at quarterback for the New York Jets.

Gang Green travelled down to Tampa today and suffered an embarrassing 15-10 loss at the hands of the Ryan Fitzpatrick-led Bucs in a game that saw the Jets offense score just 3 points before a garbage-time TD pass from Josh McCown to wide receiver Robby Anderson.

A feel-good win against the Buffalo Bills last week does not erase the fact that with McCown under center, the team is 1-4 in its last five games.  Surely they can get a similar performance with Bryce Petty getting some valuable live reps while also drawing some conclusions about his future with the team.  If Petty isn’t going to be a starter, will he at least earn the label of “quality back-up” moving forward?

IMG_2042-300x197.jpg

Todd Bowles has some big decisions to make during his team’s bye week.

If there’s ever a good time to break in a new quarterback, it’s now.  They’ve lost four of five heading in to their bye week.  This allows Petty extra time to prepare, and it gives offensive coordinator John Morton ample time to make a smooth transition to Petty.

Todd Bowles however, has earned a reputation as a head coach who will often play his veterans over a youngster when a change may be in order.  If that trend continues with McCown, one would have to believe that Bowles has been given no assurances from ownership that he’ll be around next season, and that he’s coaching for his job.  If that’s the case, the blame shouldn’t’ be pinned on Bowles if he truly believes McCown is the Jets’ best option at the moment.

If Bowles has been told he’ll return as long as the team’s effort remains high and improvement from his young players is evident, he’s not doing himself or the franchise any favors by sticking with the veteran in McCown.

The time is now, Todd.  We all know it, so please do something about it.  It’s Petty time.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

KEPzRdeBPbU

Click here to read the full story...

Ready for what?  In his wildest dreams he is maybe a backup

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

Once again stating your opinion as a fact.

It's  your opinion and should have been written Petty should  or might  be starting.

More junc science.

little stalker boy, knock it off.  anything I post on here is my opinion, my opinion is more educated than the average fan and certainly more than yours.  Bowles may be stubborn and not start him at all but it goes w/o saying that when I post something like that it is my opinion.  we all post our opinions on this board and all message boards, why is this such an issue for you?

I am still waiting for your evidence that BB was mad at the Jets b/c they hired him as HC then replaced him Parcells thus blindsiding him.  Please show me this evidence, I am waiting.

6 hours ago, hawk said:

Weird, is that what happens when kids get to play, and learn.  they get better?

Sometimes they get better and sometimes they are not ready or just can't handle the next level like Billy Beane from Moneyball (good movie) 

The team must try to put the rookies on the field in the right situation to succeed and the bye week is as right of a situation as Petty and/or Hack will get this year, maybe careers.

Practice, Repetition and Experience - words that should be on a wall somewhere in Florham Park

5 hours ago, Pac said:

The fact this is "obvious" says more about you than anything else mate.

This "young team" is as aware as all of us are that McCown is not a long term answer at QB, that McCown will not (and should not) be the starting QB of this team next year, and that they (the youngsters) will all have long careers (they hope) long after McCown is retired.

This "young team" wants a better QB with more upside and energy as much as we do.  Just ask our "young team" defense how much they love McCown today.  I bet what seemed "obvious" to you won't seem so obvious then.

Beyond that, Macc should not be running this organization based on what the "young team" wants (or us fans) anyway.  He should be running it to produce a Super Bowl champion.  McCown is not a part of that, and at 4-6, we're no longer playing for 2017, we're playing for 2018 and beyond.  McCown has no place in 2018 and beyond. 

The franchise and it's future is best served playing Petty and/or Hack.  Not because this is the "first sign of adversity".  It's not btw, McCown, despite his 70% ish comp. rate has been underwhelming most of the year, and helped us lose at least two (now three) very winnable games due to his non performance in the 4th quarters of games.

We made a good show of being competitive.  It failed, and that's over.  Bowles and his staff should certainly still play to win, thats what coaches do.  But Macc, as GM, should be running the franchise and the personnel to suit the long term best interests, that's what GM's do.  Or should do, at least.

Playing McCown serves no purpose whatsoever at this point, and no, "showing the young team blah blah adversity" is just silly.  Reality is, it shows a much better lesson...a lesson the NFL shows all the time.....produce and win, or sit down and you'll be out of the league soon.

The fact this is "obvious" says more about you than anything else mate.
This "young team" is as aware as all of us are that McCown is not a long term answer at QB, that McCown will not (and should not) be the starting QB of this team next year, and that they (the youngsters) will all have long careers (they hope) long after McCown is retired.
This "young team" wants a better QB with more upside and energy as much as we do.  Just ask our "young team" defense how much they love McCown today.  I bet what seemed "obvious" to you won't seem so obvious then.
Beyond that, Macc should not be running this organization based on what the "young team" wants (or us fans) anyway.  He should be running it to produce a Super Bowl champion.  McCown is not a part of that, and at 4-6, we're no longer playing for 2017, we're playing for 2018 and beyond.  McCown has no place in 2018 and beyond. 
The franchise and it's future is best served playing Petty and/or Hack.  Not because this is the "first sign of adversity".  It's not btw, McCown, despite his 70% ish comp. rate has been underwhelming most of the year, and helped us lose at least two (now three) very winnable games due to his non performance in the 4th quarters of games.
We made a good show of being competitive.  It failed, and that's over.  Bowles and his staff should certainly still play to win, thats what coaches do.  But Macc, as GM, should be running the franchise and the personnel to suit the long term best interests, that's what GM's do.  Or should do, at least.
Playing McCown serves no purpose whatsoever at this point, and no, "showing the young team blah blah adversity" is just silly.  Reality is, it shows a much better lesson...a lesson the NFL shows all the time.....produce and win, or sit down and you'll be out of the league soon.
I agree 100% we need t of individuals out if petty or hack can play

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Archived