Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Those Trubisky jokes sound a ton like the LOLGoff jokes. You don't seem like the kind of  guy that doesn't know that QBs develop at different times. Some guys FLASH like RG3, while some guys take a year or two to blossom. Meanwhile, Trubisky is learning and getting better while Watson has torn his ACL for the 2nd time in 3 years...both times in practice. 

I actually have no beef from Trubs, he was simply not the #1 prospect last year.  He was the #1 hype machined guy last year.  

He seems like a decent enough kid, not good enough for where he was drafted, but he has a ton of time to grow into it yet.

Watson, pre-injury, was an all-pro.  As a rookie.  On a meh team.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I actually have no beef from Trubs, he was simply not the #1 prospect last year.  He was the #1 hype machined guy last year.  

He seems like a decent enough kid, not good enough for where he was drafted, but he has a ton of time to grow into it yet.

All star Defense and he’s throwing to Deandre Hopkins and Will Fuller lol. We jus seen them play the Patriots in the playoffs last year. That ain’t no meh team. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

He was on a bad team (after injuries to Watt/Mercilus etc..) but with Hopkins and Fuller and even Miller is an OK RB, he had weapons on offense. But yeah, he was amazing as a rookie. But you can't ignore 2 ACL injuries, during practice at the age of 23. 

Watson is no RG3, and should come back great next year but being durable is a thing. Either way, Trubisky could end up having the better career and it wouldn't shock me. Let's see what Trubisky turns into next year with a year under his  belt, a new HC (most likely offensive minded) and with some WRs. The Bears WR corps might be the worst in the NFL. 

16 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Leave him for Cleveland. Jackson is nothing more than a great athlete. Todd McShay, Mel Kiper and MANY NFL scouts have doubts that Jackson won't end up as a WR in the NFL. You suggest a top-10 pick for this guy? Your not in touch with reality pal.

I'm not in touch with reality? Who the hell cares what anyone thinks of a prospect right now. There is so much time between now and the draft and so much will change. To declare anything as fact right now tells me I don't give a sh*t what you think. 

18 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Many in here assume that because Mayfield looks really good in college that he is a no brainer to be a great NFL QB. That same logic should have applied to Geno who had a 71pct comp pct, 4200 yards passing, 42 TDs and 6 INTs in the Big 12 in his senior year. 

If Mayfield played at Northwestern, in a basic offense behind an average team, I am not sure people here would love him so much. 

Mayfield may be great, but how many great college QBs that won heismans ended up being great NFL QBs. Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Luck. Meanwhile, Jameis, Marriota, Manziel, RG3 have been less than spectacular and Cam is a headcase. 

That doesn't mean Mayfield can't become the next Drew Brees. He is fun to watch, but he isn't the guy you trade away multiple picks to move up from 8 to 3 to get.

I don't think anyone believes Mayfield is a no brainer - but rather the best realistic option for the Jets right now.  With Darnold and Rosen virtually guaranteed to go 1 and 2...I believe the next best option is Mayfield - the Jets NEED a QB.  So while I don't believe he's a lock by any means I do believe he has shown the skill-set to be to a legitimate franchise QB and at some point you have to pull the trigger on someone and do what it takes to get your guy!

Comparing any two college QB's is just silly - there are waaaay too many variables that go into the potential success of  an NFL QB - many that you simply won't know until he's playing on the NFL level.

So if you think he's capable of becoming that guy - why not trade up for him?  

What are we really losing out on? Adams, Leo, Lee, Pryor, Richardson, Wilson (I won't even bother even naming the disaster of 2nd rounders) - seriously, go down the list of recent first and second rounders and tell me you wouldn't give up any one or two of them for a SHOT, just a SHOT at a FQB....

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

sWhat are the "NFL Boxes" as you see it?

Gotta have someone play QB.  Right?

"That Leadership stuff is overrated" Jeff George

I keep wondering why people think InterceptiDarnold will end up being the player to break the USC trend of producing sh*tty QB's.

NFL boxes: 6'5, athletic, big arm (although his shoulder needs to check out because he lost a lot of zip toward the end of the season), can push the ball down field and throw it on rope outside the hash marks, great downfield touch and can drop it in a bucket. An accurate pocket passer who actually does go through some progressions and scans the field.  High character, leader, Senior, improved stats each season. etc.

Yes, you do have to have someone to play QB despite what Big Mac and Todd Bowles think, it's a pretty important position.  The overhyping of QB's isn't new.  The over drafting of QB's isn't new.  This particular draft class is just unique.  Never have I seen such hype for "next year's class" to fizzle out so fast.  People are drooling over Baker Mayfield at #3 overall.  That's how far this class has fallen.

Not sure if you're leadership comment is sarcastic or not but yes, it is completely overrated.  Look at all the "leaders" the Jets have brought in and tell me about the results. 

I keep wondering why you call him IntercepitDarnold.  He threw 12 picks this season.  He's 57 and 21 in his career.  That's nothing.  Matt Ryan threw 19 his senior year 56 and 37 in his college career, Watson threw 17 his senior year, Jameis threw 18, Andrew Luck and Josh Rosen threw 10 (a whopping 2 less than Darnold).  Dan Marino is 3rd all time for INT's in college...he threw 69 picks, his Senior year he threw more picks than TD's.  IDK, seems like a silly name to me. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure if you're leadership comment is sarcastic or not but yes, it is completely overrated. 

Overall not a bad post, but siding with Jeff "Leadership is Overrated" George is just mouth-agape amazing.  If you really think leadership is overrated for a QB.....well, we've been pals a long time JiF, I'd hate to say something mean.  But wow.

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think anyone believes Mayfield is a no brainer - but rather the best realistic option for the Jets right now.  With Darnold and Rosen virtually guaranteed to go 1 and 2...I believe the next best option is Mayfield - the Jets NEED a QB.  So while I don't believe he's a lock by any means I do believe he has shown the skill-set to be to a legitimate franchise QB and at some point you have to pull the trigger on someone and do what it takes to get your guy!

Comparing any two college QB's is just silly - there are waaaay too many variables that go into the potential success of  an NFL QB - many that you simply won't know until he's playing on the NFL level.

So if you think he's capable of becoming that guy - why not trade up for him?  

What are we really losing out on? Adams, Leo, Lee, Pryor, Richardson, Wilson (I won't even bother even naming the disaster of 2nd rounders) - seriously, go down the list of recent first and second rounders and tell me you wouldn't give up any one or two of them for a SHOT, just a SHOT at a FQB....

I am fine with mayfield, and I am OK with them trading up to get him. But what if they have Lamar Jackson or Rudolph or Allen graded higher? Just because some of you have fallen in love with Mayfield doesn't necessarily justify trading up for him. 

If Carson Wentz were coming out this year (without knowing what we know about Wentz) just about everyone here would prefer we take Mayfield because he's a Winner and a Leader and  Heisman winner. Many would argue that taking a nobody from North Dakota State over a proven winner/playmaker in Mayfield would be foolish. 

We are very lucky that there options like Cousins via FA and Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson/Allen/Rudolph in the draft. It's a year Macc MUST come away with a QB. And not just another stop gap like Mccown, but a guy that be our franchise QB for the next 5-10 years. I am just not locked in on Mayfield like some are. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am fine with mayfield, and I am OK with them trading up to get him. But what if they have Lamar Jackson or Rudolph or Allen graded higher? Just because some of you have fallen in love with Mayfield doesn't necessarily justify trading up for him. 

If Carson Wentz were coming out this year (without knowing what we know about Wentz) just about everyone here would prefer we take Mayfield because he's a Winner and a Leader and  Heisman winner. Many would argue that taking a nobody from North Dakota State over a proven winner/playmaker in Mayfield would be foolish. 

We are very lucky that there options like Cousins via FA and Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson/Allen/Rudolph in the draft. It's a year Macc MUST come away with a QB. And not just another stop gap like Mccown, but a guy that be our franchise QB for the next 5-10 years. I am just not locked in on Mayfield like some are. 

I prefer my QBs to not get torn ACLs.

JK.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

oh, I agree.  I happen to think Mayfield is going to be a legitimate NFL QB and would LOVE to have him but our GM should choose his guy and go after him.  My point is don't wait around and hope - pick your guy and go get him as soon as soon as you can.  Don't take BPA, , don't have 3 guys and be willing to take whichever one falls to you - pick whoever you think is the best option to become a FQB and then go get him.  The time for waiting around is over - Mac has gone that route and it's failed miserably.  Playing it safe with QB position is no longer an option for Mac.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

All star Defense and he’s throwing to Deandre Hopkins and Will Fuller lol. We jus seen them play the Patriots in the playoffs last year. That ain’t no meh team. 

Can't really use this metric though imo.  tom Savage and whoever else they have had playing had the same team mates.  Watsons run was epically good.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

oh, I agree.  I happen to think Mayfield is going to be a legitimate NFL QB and would LOVE to have him but our GM should choose his guy and go after him.  My point is don't wait around and hope - pick your guy and go get him as soon as soon as you can.  Don't take BPA, , don't have 3 guys and be willing to take whichever one falls to you - pick whoever you think is the best option to become a FQB and then go get him.  The time for waiting around is over - Mac has gone that route and it's failed miserably.  Playing it safe with QB position is no longer an option for Mac.

100%. If we find out that Macc or the scouts loved Mayfield or Allen or whoever but wouldn't throw in an extra 4th rounder in a package to move up and we end up taking a DL I will be the one starting a gofundme page to raise funds for a billboard to get Macc fired. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

100%. If we find out that Macc or the scouts loved Mayfield or Allen or whoever but wouldn't throw in an extra 4th rounder in a package to move up and we end up taking a DL I will be the one starting a gofundme page to raise funds for a billboard to get Macc fired. 

The question is really what type of offense a team wants to run.  Mayfield would appear to be able for to play like Wilson, Brees, Rodgers-mobile, WCO.  Allen is more the Patriots type, as is Hack.  Petty is a better fit for the Jets offense today.  

I thought Bill O’Brien was against the Watson pick but changed the offense to make it work.  I am not convinced Mac is working with the offensive staff.  

O'Brien is one of the most vastly overrated coaches there is out there.  Just massively overrated.  All of his hand picked QBs have fallen on their asses under him and as soon as watson shows up their offense becomes a Juggernaut, the moment he gets hurt it falls on its ass again.

His big successes have come from a great defense and a terrible division.

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Wentz has had what, three-fourths of one great year so far, on a loaded team?  We putting him in the HOF already?

If recent years have shown us anything, it's that taking one year of a QB's play and expounding on it is a mistake.  There are a number of one-year-of-greatness guys floating about right now.  Wentz may be one, he may be the real deal.  We'll have to wait and see.

But no, I think Wentz would likely be up with Darnold and Rosen and ahead of Mayfield in the minds of scouts and GM's.  Fans may like Mayfield more, but GM's wouldn't because GM's are terrified of not taking "measurables" players.  They'll always pick a Gholston over a Chrebet or an Anderson.  That's the NFL.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Overall not a bad post, but siding with Jeff "Leadership is Overrated" George is just mouth-agape amazing.  If you really think leadership is overrated for a QB.....well, we've been pals a long time JiF, I'd hate to say something mean.  But wow.

I wasn't defending Jeff George. lol.  But yes, "leadership" is completely overrated.  Do I think it's important, sure...but I'd rather have a guy who can play than can talk.  I don't think Aaron Rodgers is an amazing leader and nor do his teammates, but he's the best I've ever seen.  The guy before him?  Not exactly a leader but pretty damn good.  Both have rings. 

I'm not saying draft a dip sh*t...but leadership is overrated.  And if you think leadership is super important, than why are we even discussing Mayfield?  He's not exactly the type of player that pro's are going to follow. 

Again, the Jets have prioritized "leaders" and yet, the team is still a bunch of assholes. 

I think the Jets should focus on finding guys that are good at Football. 

When I log on, I get the Microsoft Edge home page first. There are always little news items to click on that I usually ignore. This morning was a mock draft based on the draft order as of now. Their source is Sportsnaut. 

They had Rosen to Clev at 1, Darnold to the Giants at 2. Quelle surprise there but then the other 1st round QB's were Jackson to Cinc at 9, Mayfield to the Cards at 13 and Rudolf to the Bills at 19.

The Jets? With the 10th pick of the 2018 NFL draft, the New York Jets pick:

Roquon Smith*, ILB/OLB, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

11/18/17: Scouting sources have been raving about Smith this year, and he has been tremendous for Georgia. Smith had a great game against Notre Dame in Week 2 and has been all over the field for the Bulldogs. The fast and instinctive Smith flies around the field making tackles while also showing the ability to play in pass coverage. He has drawn comparisons to the Buccaneers' Lavonte David and the Falcons' Deion Jones.

Their knock against Mayfield as not going higher? Too short.

Now of course these mocks are silly and the Jets will probably lose the last three games and move up a spot or two and take Jackson but if this actually happened? Wow

the scary part is that something like this could actually come down this way

21 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

When I log on, I get the Microsoft Edge home page first. There are always little news items to click on that I usually ignore. This morning was a mock draft based on the draft order as of now. Their source is Sportsnaut. 

They had Rosen to Clev at 1, Darnold to the Giants at 2. Quelle surprise there but then the other 1st round QB's were Jackson to Cinc at 9, Mayfield to the Cards at 13 and Rudolf to the Bills at 19.

11/18/17: Scouting sources have been raving about Smith this year, and he has been tremendous for Georgia. Smith had a great game against Notre Dame in Week 2 and has been all over the field for the Bulldogs. The fast and instinctive Smith flies around the field making tackles while also showing the ability to play in pass coverage. He has drawn comparisons to the Buccaneers' Lavonte David and the Falcons' Deion Jones.

Now of course these mocks are silly and the Jets will probably lose the last three games and move up a spot or two and take Jackson but if this actually happened? Wow

Yikes. That pick might (understandbly) be final straw for some fans. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wentz has had what, three-fourths of one great year so far, on a loaded team?  We putting him in the HOF already?

If recent years have shown us anything, it's that taking one year of a QB's play and expounding on it is a mistake.  There are a number of one-year-of-greatness guys floating about right now.  Wentz may be one, he may be the real deal.  We'll have to wait and see.

But no, I think Wentz would likely be up with Darnold and Rosen and ahead of Mayfield in the minds of scouts and GM's.  Fans may like Mayfield more, but GM's wouldn't because GM's are terrified of not taking "measurables" players.  They'll always pick a Gholston over a Chrebet or an Anderson.  That's the NFL.

“Loaded team?”  You must have a really high opinion of a group of skill players none of which are even cracking 1,000 yards this season

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I wasn't defending Jeff George. lol.  But yes, "leadership" is completely overrated.  Do I think it's important, sure...but I'd rather have a guy who can play than can talk.  I don't think Aaron Rodgers is an amazing leader and nor do his teammates, but he's the best I've ever seen.  The guy before him?  Not exactly a leader but pretty damn good.  Both have rings. 

I'm not saying draft a dip sh*t...but leadership is overrated.  And if you think leadership is super important, than why are we even discussing Mayfield?  He's not exactly the type of player that pro's are going to follow. 

Again, the Jets have prioritized "leaders" and yet, the team is still a bunch of assholes. 

From what I've heard, every player on Oklahoma's team loves Mayfield. I think he may be more of a leader than you think. Dipsh*t tendencies, sure, but he's confident as hell, loves football, and his teammates love playing for him. Those seem like leadership qualities to me.

32 minutes ago, PS17 said:

From what I've heard, every player on Oklahoma's team loves Mayfield. I think he may be more of a leader than you think. Dipsh*t tendencies, sure, but he's confident as hell, loves football, and his teammates love playing for him. Those seem like leadership qualities to me.

That's cool but if it wasn't the case, I'm not one to get all caught up in leadership.  I personally wouldn't be worried about Mayfield from a character standpoint.  I have more concerns with Rosen from that perspective.  Like I said earlier, it's important but overrated IMO.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's cool but if it wasn't the case, I'm not one to get all caught up in leadership.  I personally wouldn't be worried about Mayfield from a character standpoint.  I have more concerns with Rosen from that perspective.  Like I said earlier, it's important but overrated IMO.

As long as Baker shows up to meetings, practices, and games on time, and puts in the hard work to be a better QB on the field, then I'm not too concerned about his off-field antics as much.

Besides, if he gets into any trouble, Leo can just pick him up and carry him to safety.

42 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Well, we already have Jamal Adams, so we're kinda full up on leadership at the moment.

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Oh man this would be a disgusting pick. A LB smaller than darron lee in the first round? With mayfield still available?? Just the thought of this makes me want to grab my pitchfork and torch right now!!

Just now, Barkus said:

Oh man this would be a disgusting pick. A LB smaller than darron lee in the first round? With mayfield still available?? Just the thought of this makes me want to grab my pitchfork and torch right now!!

I will join you in a civil protest at Florham Park ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THIS BULL sh*t!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Leaderships important. I think the fake hustle leadership that guys like Adams etc bring to the table that the new aged media/ESPN seem to buy into can do more harm than good though, especially when the player doesn’t produce. 

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Leaderships important. I think the fake hustle leadership that guys like Adams etc bring to the table that the new aged media/ESPN seem to buy into can do more harm than good though, especially when the player doesn’t produce. 

It is important.  I just think this board heavily overrates it.  I don't look at Rodgers or Eli or Flacco or Favre or Big Ben and say, look at the way those guys lead but they've all got rings.  I think it's more important to have good Football players.  Lead by example.  Go produce and show the team you can play, you'll get respect and leadership with it.

I agree.  I think a big mouth showboat like Adams who is perfectly mediocre does more bad than good.  The Jets have emphasized leadership but you still have a bunch of guys acting like assholes on that side of the ball.  McCown is supposed to be this great mentor, Petty comes into the game, he's terrible and then blames reps in a press conference.  Leadership isn't rubbing off. 

Leadership is important, having good Football players is much more important. 

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

It is important.  I just think this board heavily overrates it.  I don't look at Rodgers or Eli or Flacco or Favre or Big Ben and say, look at the way those guys lead but they've all got rings.  I think it's more important to have good Football players.  Lead by example.  Go produce and show the team you can play, you'll get respect and leadership with it.

I agree.  I think a big mouth showboat like Adams who is perfectly mediocre does more bad than good.  The Jets have emphasized leadership but you still have a bunch of guys acting like assholes on that side of the ball.  McCown is supposed to be this great mentor, Petty comes into the game, he's terrible and then blames reps in a press conference.  Leadership isn't rubbing off. 

Leadership is important, having good Football players is much more important. 

Psst....almost every "good football player" at the QB position is also a great leader of men who inspire their players with BOTH play and word.

QB's who are bad leaders are almost exclusively sh*tty QB's who fail/bust.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Psst....almost every "good football player" at the QB position is also a great leader of men who inspire their players with BOTH play and word.

QB's who are bad leaders are almost exclusively sh*tty QB's who fail/bust.

I literally just listed a bunch of guys with rings who are notoriously not referred to as "leaders".  There were literally rumors most players on the Packers hated Aaron Rodgers. Favre was apparently a complete dick to him, no pun intended.  These things, didn't matter because they're good Football players.  Apparently most of the Seahawks hate Russell Wilson.  I highly doubt Cam Newton is some incredible leader.  

Drew Brees sits in the middle of a huddle before every single game doing hu-rah sh*t like a college player.  He's had more losing seasons than winning seasons despite his 1 ring. 

Again, leadership is important but it's completely overrated around here. Good Football players are much more important and you don't need your QB to be the biggest leader of you team but you need him to be good at quarterbacking. 

Archived