Report: Mo Wilk Regularly Misses Practice; “Part of the Game” says Bowles

JetNation

9 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Agree completely. I said it was going to take years to remove the stench of Rex in the building, and probably a total roster overhaul before it happens. 

Bowles has a player that has clearly stopped trying, but he knows that just about every team has cancers in their locker room. It's "Part of the game." Bowles also knows that Mo is gone after this year and the team will finally be done with the Rex Ryan era players. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem with that is that the media is paid to get these things out. if they didn't know then they didn't really do a good job

So? Even if they were also wrong, big so what?

It's not a couple of beat writers' jobs to vet the team's players based on random locker room rumors (some of which are surely conflicting and could be filled with ulterior motives). Plus writers have their own reasons for supporting team moves, like gaining easier access in the future.

On the other hand it is the job of the GM and HC to properly vet and judge a player's character so before guaranteeing said player $37m when they already had him at the same money on a year-to-year basis. This isn't even like an incoming UFA they signed for big bucks; Mo had been in that locker room his whole career.

It's entirely reasonable for any media personality to (now) claim, "Prior to the extension we couldn't have known this thing that the HC and GM clearly knew. They're around every player every day and I'm not." 

Whatever you do for a living, you owe it to your employers and coworkers to conduct yourself as a professional.

Repeated lateness shows a complete lack of respect for everyone in the organization.

I’ve been working for almost 35 years, and am never late for work.

And somehow, I’ve managed to do this without having the luxury of being able to purchase the best alarm clock that $86 million can buy.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

You, along with the rest of us, have no clue what these coaches are like behind closed doors, which is probably a good thing in this city. 

We do however see what happens outside of closed doors like finding out that players are continually late for things and the idiotic comments that come out of the coaches mouth in regards to being late or missing things.

52 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is what leads to many of the problems we have in society today, and even worse problems down the road. Past generations didn't do that, they knocked our asses out for the most part when we got out of line, and set us straight. I am old school with my kids and actually discipline them and have expectations for their behavior, and I can tell you I am the exception not the norm among the families we live by and know. In the long run, making excuses for your kids is a detriment to them, and not what a parent who loves their kids should actually do.

I’m happy for you that you hit your kids.

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_3213.jpg

The Jets’ handling of Muhammad Wilkerson just got a whole lot more confusing.  According to Connor Hughes of NJ.com, Wilkerson’s brief suspension on Sunday wasn’t a result of one incident involving his lack of commitment to Gang Green, but at least his fifth this season according to a source says Hughes.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Wilkerson has regularly shown up late to team’s morning meetings this season. Sometimes, he misses them altogether.

The source said a combination of the two infractions has happened at least five times since the preseason. The Jets have a full-team meeting in the morning. When late, Wilkerson, will show up at some point during the team meeting, or just after.

This revelation should all but assure Wilkerson’s release this off-season as cutting ties with the defensive end will save the Jets roughly $17 million in cap space.  As a matter of fact, with just four games left in the season, the best move the Jets could make here would be to have Wilkerson spend the rest of this season on the sidelines, avoiding a scenario in which he’s injured, thereby guaranteeing his salary for next season.  It’s a point we brought up earlier in the season right here, but it rings even truer now.

It would be a bold move, but is it one that Todd Bowles is willing to make in handling one of the biggest names on his roster?

Up to now, Bowles has treated Wilkerson with kid gloves.  After being benched for the opening quarter against the Miami Dolphins last season, it was learned that it was Wilkerson’s tardiness that led to the move.  In the days that followed, it was revealed that Wilkerson had been making a habit of being late at that point as well.  If Bowles is only willing to sit Wilkerson for a few plays after multiple infractions, what are the odds of a four-game ban?  Don’t count on it.

According to Hughes, Bowles had this to say in regards to Wilkerson;

“It’s part of the game,” Bowles said. “No different than raising your kids. They’re going to do some things, and you’re going to be pissed off. But they’re still your kids. You’ll still love them up the next day, and keep moving.

Bowles’ public defense of Wilkerson shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.  Over each of the past two seasons he’s dealt with overpaid players mailing it in and he applauded their effort each time.  Last season it was Darrelle Revis who Bowles continued to start and praise, and now we’re seeing the same thing with Wilkerson.

Despite Wilkerson’s lackadaisical approach on game day and his poor dedication to preparation, he’s still viewed as one of the team’s leaders according Bowles.

This could be a scenario in which the Jets front office structure of having GM Mike Maccagnan and Bowles report to the owner is complicating things.  Would Maccagnan, just one month away from being able to rid  himself of the worst contract he’s handed out, still want Wilkerson on the field with the previously mentioned injury risk?  It’s unlikely, but only the Jets front office knows, and it might be time for Chris Johnson to speak to Maccagnan and Bowles and make the decision for them.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

wIPjtzUQUGM

Click here to read the full story...

Glad the jets are painting him for what he is. Now his value goes down more. No one will sign him to anything close what is making. He has to restructure now

20 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Glad the jets are painting him for what he is. Now his value goes down more. No one will sign him to anything close what is making. He has to restructure now

If a player consistently is late, and his play is declining for the 2nd year in a row, why would you care if he restructures or even plays for free? Get his lazy ass the hell out of here.

31 minutes ago, section314 said:

If a player consistently is late, and his play is declining for the 2nd year in a row, why would you care if he restructures or even plays for free? Get his lazy ass the hell out of here.

I’d rather win. Guys like wilk you need to win. D. Davis is a great locker room guy. But if our entire D consisted of average players who are good in the lockeroom, we wouldn’t win a game.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’d rather win. Guys like wilk you need to win. D. Davis is a great locker room guy. But if our entire D consisted of average players who are good in the lockeroom, we wouldn’t win a game.

No. No you don't. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If Mo Wilk had 8 sacks then sure, I wouldn't care that much if he missed practice. But Wilk is invisible. We are 5-7, if he had made some big plays in a couple of those losses we could easily be 7-5 and a legitamite playoff contender. Therefore he sucks and should be cut. It's that simple. You don't need the young kids watching a bum not practice, not play hard and not produce. He's a cancer. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A healthy Mo Wilkerson has put up 2.5 sacks and looks borderline immobile when on he's on the field, against single coverage.  Leonard Williams just had a cast removed 3-4 weeks ago, is a mere half a sack behind him, while dealing with double teams and hasn't given up on a damn play all season.  He's also, statistically, rushing the QB better, even if it isn't translating into sack totals.

F*ck Mo.  Gonna be a great day when that guy gets cut.

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_3213.jpg

The Jets’ handling of Muhammad Wilkerson just got a whole lot more confusing.  According to Connor Hughes of NJ.com, Wilkerson’s brief suspension on Sunday wasn’t a result of one incident involving his lack of commitment to Gang Green, but at least his fifth this season according to a source says Hughes.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Wilkerson has regularly shown up late to team’s morning meetings this season. Sometimes, he misses them altogether.

The source said a combination of the two infractions has happened at least five times since the preseason. The Jets have a full-team meeting in the morning. When late, Wilkerson, will show up at some point during the team meeting, or just after.

If I had to sit in through a Todd Bowles meeting I’d show up 2 minute before it ended. Dude is a major bore.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If my boss ever treated my like if his/her children ... I’d quit my job.

Pronarily because that would be s clear indication that my boss has no clue how to manage people. Secobdarily because I want to be held accountable, as a professional, so this would signal work culture where accountability comes second to excusing and coddling.

Because that’s what parents do. They love their kids and make excuses for why their kids aren’t as big an a$$hole as we all know they really are.

Part of managing is managing the bullsh*t too. Unprofessionalism is everywhere all the time, you’re not getting rid of it 53 deep no matter any delusions. It’s not something the greats get to avoid either, they don’t become great unless/until they find a QB. 

Geeeeet a QB, it could not possibly be more obvious at this point. It’s the same sh*t over and over and over and over and over and over and over with the Jets....Every 3 years “change the culture” or whatever with a new HC and GM, the defensive star comes off the rookie contract and becomes the latest villain, and the whole time the team cannot reliably pass the football. 

Hindsight Culture: Y'all remember the 2011 draft?... We were pursing a 3-4/5-technique DE.... The clear favorite? Cam Heyward, Ohio State. The Jets pick; Mo Wilk, Temple. Now... tell me how the two have fared since getting paid? 

#JetsDraftSuccessStories

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Hindsight Culture: Y'all remember the 2011 draft?... We were pursing a 3-4/5-technique DE.... The clear favorite? Cam Heyward, Ohio State. The Jets pick; Mo Wilk, Temple. Now... tell me how the two have fared since getting paid? 

#JetsDraftSuccessStories

Clearly Mo is 70% better, which is why we paid him 70% more.

As a draft pick on a rookie deal, I'd say Mo was a better pick/player. 

After that it was a mistake to extend him; he isn't now and wasn't then worth $17m/year.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Clearly Mo is 70% better, which is why we paid him 70% more.

As a draft pick on a rookie deal, I'd say Mo was a better pick/player. 

After that it was a mistake to extend him; he isn't now and wasn't then worth $17m/year.

Literally the opposite of this is true. 

54 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wilk is average at best, overpaid, and a headache for the coach. Letting him walk IS WINNING by subtraction. 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Literally the opposite of this is true. 

Just like it's someone else's fault Mo has the presence of mind and lack of character to still be skipping meetings? 

He's an ass**** who was undeserving of this payday. The money would have still been spent, and it was better spent on others. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just like it's someone else's fault Mo has the presence of mind and lack of character to still be skipping meetings? 

He's an ass**** who was undeserving of this payday. The money would have still been spent, and it was better spent on others. 

If he was playing well, nobody would care. That's probably how he got the money in the first place. Not defending it, just analyzing it

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

If he was playing well, nobody would care. That's probably how he got the money in the first place. Not defending it, just analyzing it

False. It's a team sport and the highest-paid player missing meetings has an effect on others.

Then on top of that, he is NOT playing well and save a rare decent game here or there, he hasn't played well in 2 seasons.

Mo never should have been extended. Not at that money.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wilk is average at best, overpaid, and a headache for the coach. Letting him walk IS WINNING by subtraction. 

The Jets hoped people bought this same nonsense the last two times they ducked out on the team’s defensive stalwart. Luckily the folks at home gernerally did but...eventually right? Maybe? 

Archived