Report: Mo Wilk Regularly Misses Practice; “Part of the Game” says Bowles

JetNation

IMG_3213.jpg

The Jets’ handling of Muhammad Wilkerson just got a whole lot more confusing.  According to Connor Hughes of NJ.com, Wilkerson’s brief suspension on Sunday wasn’t a result of one incident involving his lack of commitment to Gang Green, but at least his fifth this season according to a source says Hughes.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Wilkerson has regularly shown up late to team’s morning meetings this season. Sometimes, he misses them altogether.

The source said a combination of the two infractions has happened at least five times since the preseason. The Jets have a full-team meeting in the morning. When late, Wilkerson, will show up at some point during the team meeting, or just after.

This revelation should all but assure Wilkerson’s release this off-season as cutting ties with the defensive end will save the Jets roughly $17 million in cap space.  As a matter of fact, with just four games left in the season, the best move the Jets could make here would be to have Wilkerson spend the rest of this season on the sidelines, avoiding a scenario in which he’s injured, thereby guaranteeing his salary for next season.  It’s a point we brought up earlier in the season right here, but it rings even truer now.

It would be a bold move, but is it one that Todd Bowles is willing to make in handling one of the biggest names on his roster?

Up to now, Bowles has treated Wilkerson with kid gloves.  After being benched for the opening quarter against the Miami Dolphins last season, it was learned that it was Wilkerson’s tardiness that led to the move.  In the days that followed, it was revealed that Wilkerson had been making a habit of being late at that point as well.  If Bowles is only willing to sit Wilkerson for a few plays after multiple infractions, what are the odds of a four-game ban?  Don’t count on it.

According to Hughes, Bowles had this to say in regards to Wilkerson;

“It’s part of the game,” Bowles said. “No different than raising your kids. They’re going to do some things, and you’re going to be pissed off. But they’re still your kids. You’ll still love them up the next day, and keep moving.

Bowles’ public defense of Wilkerson shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.  Over each of the past two seasons he’s dealt with overpaid players mailing it in and he applauded their effort each time.  Last season it was Darrelle Revis who Bowles continued to start and praise, and now we’re seeing the same thing with Wilkerson.

Despite Wilkerson’s lackadaisical approach on game day and his poor dedication to preparation, he’s still viewed as one of the team’s leaders according Bowles.

This could be a scenario in which the Jets front office structure of having GM Mike Maccagnan and Bowles report to the owner is complicating things.  Would Maccagnan, just one month away from being able to rid  himself of the worst contract he’s handed out, still want Wilkerson on the field with the previously mentioned injury risk?  It’s unlikely, but only the Jets front office knows, and it might be time for Chris Johnson to speak to Maccagnan and Bowles and make the decision for them.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wIPjtzUQUGM

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Would Maccagnan, just one month away from being able to rid  himself of the worst contract he’s handed out, still want Wilkerson on the field with the previously mentioned injury risk? 

I do not understand the continued consternation here along this point. If Wilkerson is injured, the Jets DO NOT have to place him on IR. They only benefit they would get with that is a roster spot. With 4 games left, that is not as such a valuable asset.

They certainly would not designate that tag, with the $$ on the line. Non point.

I think it would take a lot for Bowles to trash a guy to the media.  I would hope he’s not quite as nice to the guy behind closed doors but this is unacceptable and if true, will make it easy to say goodbye to Mo in a few weeks. 

50 minutes ago, Drums said:

I think it would take a lot for Bowles to trash a guy to the media.  I would hope he’s not quite as nice to the guy behind closed doors but this is unacceptable and if true, will make it easy to say goodbye to Mo in a few weeks. 

Bowles makes Rex look like Parcells

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nothing rips a locker room apart faster than double standards. Just look what happened under Rex when the defensive players were treated like gods and the offensive like pad carriers. 

Bowles treats everyone the same he’s a spineless empty suit coach

Bowles is a gutless coach who lost the locker room LAST year, a fireable offense IMO, but the Jets brain trust brought him back this year and he continues to have no control of his players and doesn't ever hold them accountable for anything, both on and off the field.  How can any Jets fan still be defending this clown at this point?

28 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Bowles is a gutless coach who lost the locker room LAST year, a fireable offense IMO, but the Jets brain trust brought him back this year and he continues to have no control of his players and doesn't ever hold them accountable for anything, both on and off the field.  How can any Jets fan still be defending this clown at this point?

bEcAuSe kElViN bEaChUm wiLL rUn tHrU wAlls N sTufF. DUH

You guys posted Bowles press conference yesterday.

The “it’s part of the game” line is not saying, being late is part of the game. It was that disciplining is part of the game. 

But hey sure! Let’s just copy and paste Hughes article. 

Something bad is going on with Wilkerson.  It would appear that he may have a likes to go out issue.

He would appear to be not in his best physical shape.  Players who go out alot and carry too much weight get hurt more. 

You try and lead these guys, but if they decide that after 20 years of banging heads a player wants to take the money they have received, that is their choice to make.

Giving these overgrown children big guaranteed contracts just never seems to work.  If I was a GM I would try and use incentivized, shorter-term contracts more.  These players need to be motivated.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Something bad is going on with Wilkerson.  It would appear that he may have a likes to go out issue.

He would appear to be not in his best physical shape.  Players who go out alot and carry too much weight get hurt more. 

You try and lead these guys, but if they decide that after 20 years of banging heads a player wants to take the money they have received, that is their choice to make.

Giving these overgrown children big guaranteed contracts just never seems to work.  If I was a GM I would try and use incentivized, shorter-term contracts more.  These players need to be motivated.

Something bad is that he got his payday and now he doesn’t have to work as hard. There’s nothing difficult to figure out here. That’s why, even though it sounds silly sometimes, that you need to find guys that love football. Otherwise. This happens. 

25 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The “it’s part of the game” line is not saying, being late is part of the game. It was that disciplining is part of the game. 

Precisely. The headline of this article is very misleading. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am reserving judgment until the end of the year, as I said I would at the beginning of the year. But, let me ask you this, what was your prediction for this team, through 12 games, at the start of the season?

The offense has exceeded expectations while the defense continues to get worse. 4-7 wins was about what I expected. The secondary has been really bad.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am reserving judgment until the end of the year, as I said I would at the beginning of the year. But, let me ask you this, what was your prediction for this team, through 12 games, at the start of the season?

Probably about 3 or 4 wins.

Let me ask you this, why has this team overachieved this year?

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Confirms my suspicions that rearrangements were made to manufacture a story. Very shocking stuff, very out of character with anything that touches the NFL. 

You ever notice how any trivial negative things players do gets infinite press? Oh no, not late for the football meetings! How’s he going to know the big defensive game plan for the week?!? Lol...It really is all just ******* nonsense. I don’t get how this sh*t gets lapped up so easily. 

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Probably about 3 or 4 wins.

Let me ask you this, why has this team overachieved this year?

That is a loaded question and subjective, of course. They have appeared to play with a chip on their collective shoulder, out to prove all the "experts" wrong. 

That is just one aspect of course. They have received unexpected contributions from young players and unexpected veterans. 

Bottom line, from my view, they look to be playing hard. They could even be better if not for some undisciplined play.

As a reflection of their coach, this shines both a positive and negative light simultaneously. Again, i will reserve final judgement to the end of the year and look at the work as a whole.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is a loaded question and subjective, of course. They have appeared to play with a chip on their collective shoulder, out to prove all the "experts" wrong. 

That is just one aspect of course. They have received unexpected contributions from young players and unexpected veterans. 

Bottom line, from my view, they look to be playing hard. They could even be better if not for some undisciplined play.

As a reflection of their coach, this shines both a positive and negative light simultaneously. Again, i will reserve final judgement to the end of the year and look at the work as a whole.

The defense, who the head coach looks after and which 95% of all resources have been put into: 23rd total defense, 20th passing, 21st in points allowed.

Offense in which the HC has no very little say and which has had 5% of resources put into it, 18th in scoring, 17th in total yards and 8th in time of possession.

Just now, Beerfish said:

The defense, who the head coach looks after and which 95% of all resources have been put into: 23rd total defense, 20th passing, 21st in points allowed.

Offense in which the HC has no very little say and which has had 5% of resources put into it, 18th in scoring, 17th in total yards and 8th in time of possession.

I am a bottom line guy. For me it is wins and losses and trends. YES, the defense needs to perform better.

I am also pretty sure that Bowles is over the entirety of the team, and they all reflect him. I slightly suggest that if the offense was failing, many here would point the finger directly at him.

Archived