Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield?

Sarge4Tide

Cousins or Mayfield?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. if it came down to signing Kirk Cousins or drafting Baker Mayfield, I would....

• Strongly Prefer Signing Cousins
    • Slightly Prefer Signing Cousins
    • Have no preference between the two
    • Slightly Prefer Drafting Mayfield
    • Strongly Prefer Drafting Mayfield

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If bills want to jump us for qb, they easily can. They have truck load of picks. I’m curious if they stick will Taylor or not.

I honestly don't think they can..

they have two low 1's and two low 2's..

We have #6 overall and 2 high 2's

Our 3 picks are more valuable than their 4

My ideal scenario is trading up for the #1 pick and getting Rosen. I like going big for Rosen because we don't have to dig into that 100mil in cap space to sign Kirk. I'd rather take Rosen, buy the 2 best olineman and the #1 corner in free agency. 

I don’t prefer either.  I want to draft someone but mayfield scares me.  There are many traits that mayfield displays that I love but when he looks toward the sideline for his coach to tell him what play to run and what defense hes going up against,that just doesn’t work for me.  And it happens on every play.  

He has been developed as a thrower but the mental aspect will be so new that it will take him years to develop. Guys like Goff aren’t the norm succeeding from the air raid.  Case Keemun is the only other guy who has and it took him like 7 years to develop.

I really like Jake Fromm ..I just want to say that lol.

so if we go Cousins .in 2-3 years I want Jake Fromm. 

Oh wait..we probably won’t be able to get him since Cousins will still be starting and we probably won’t be picking close to top 5 with an 8-8 record.

see the real issue here??

15 year starter is dying. The NFL treating the position as the realm of supermen is going to push more guys to FA or big and bigger extensions. Think the Seahawks are looking forward to contract talks with Wilson? Or even the Bucs with Winston? 

With that I don’t really care *how* they get a multi-year starter that knows how to pass the ball so long as they do. Cousins is the best bet out of what will be available so probably should do that. 

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree on that. But that has nothing to do with my point. A rookie qb is not a capable backup first of all. Josh McCown would be. Mayfield would be a project, not next man up for injury. You would be basically saying, mayfield is not ready to play but, ohh well due to injury we are throwing the kid to the wolves with little supporting pieces because we used a lot of $$ on our injuried qb, and used our top pick on you kid ha. You don’t waste such a valuable pick like #6 overall for a backup. Not when you have ton of holes. Just like you don’t waste a 2nd rd pick on a qb who can’t even take a snap in a play for nothing season.

Well my point is that I want a QB for now and in the future. I even said my preference would be not to sign Cousins as the guy to play while whomever they draft is holding a clipboard. I think of all the young guys in this draft Mayfield is the most NFL ready if pressed into duty early. Its a crap shoot. I would rather draft a guy like Mayfield and use the FA money to bolster the need positions with young vets(no one over the age of say 27) and use the draft for depth.

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I really like Jake Fromm ..I just want to say that lol.

so if we go Cousins .in 2-3 years I want Jake Fromm. 

Oh wait..we probably won’t be able to get him since Cousins will still be starting and we probably won’t be picking close to top 5 with an 8-8 record.

see the real issue here??

We start Hackenberg and tank for 2 years and wait for Jake Fromm...

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I voted strongly for Cousins. If this said Rosen or Darnold, my answer would likely change. 

Nothing about a Kirk Cousins contract will be catastrophically high. The sky wouldn’t fall and the Jets would still have plenty of money to bring in offensive lineman and draft playmakers. Also, giving up any asset for a year rental of Alex Smith is foolish. 

Wow..  took a couple years but finally found a post from you that I agree with from the first word to the last.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well my point is that I want a QB for now and in the future. I even said my preference would be not to sign Cousins as the guy to play while whomever they draft is holding a clipboard. I think of all the young guys in this draft Mayfield is the most NFL ready if pressed into duty early. Its a crap shoot. I would rather draft a guy like Mayfield and use the FA money to bolster the need positions with young vets(no one over the age of say 27) and use the draft for depth.

But is Mayfield going to be there at 6? Bowles had to take the moral victory and win 2 extra games that kept us from picking #2. That was more important than getting a franchise qb. Now it’s role the dice. Let’s see what giants and Denver does. Does giants stick with Eli ? If they do they don’t draft at 2 most likely. Does denver get cousins or Smith ? I hope so. So we would have a better shot at 1 of the 3 qbs worth taking.

It's sort of an Either for me. Free agency happens first and you don't know if you'll be able to get your guy in the draft. Since Kirk is a top 10 QB who is relatively young and cap isn't an issue I'd prefer we start there and if we lose out on him then I'd be totally behind selecting Baker. I'd love either outcome, I would try like he'll to move up to the top 2 if I could though, maybe a team bites ya never know.

I didn't vote.

The Jets should do both!!!!

Johnson hasn't given Bowles enough time to develop a new QB!!! 

IMO only a two tier move will give Bowles the comfort to bring in a young QB over time.

I am sick of the Jets false dichotomies!! Edwards or Holmes etc...

Make the team SIGNIFICANTLY better and upgrade the team!!

5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

You forgot sign Cousins AND draft Baker Mayfield at 6. I do both. For too long this team has hungered for stability behind the Center. You know if Macc signs Cousins there will be an out in there somewhere and then its Baker Time!!

Which is why you don’t spend all that FA money on Cousins. If he’s out in a few years it makes no sense. Regardless it makes no sense anyways because this team lacks way too much talent and signing Cousins would take a huge bite of that available FA money.  It’s money better spent on the gaping holes everywhere specifically the OL and secondary.  You draft Mayfield or Jackson if they don’t want to mortgage the picks and start him from day one. Dallas did it with Prescott and Texans did it with Watson and had great success.  Mayfield and Jackson have the moxie to handle it. With a few years under his belt, continuing to develop the younger players and filling in the pieces with FA’s and draft picks, you can now be competitive for a playoff run. 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Which is why you don’t spend all that FA money on Cousins. If he’s out in a few years it makes no sense. Regardless it makes no sense anyways because this team lacks way too much talent and signing Cousins would take a huge bite of that available FA money.  It’s money better spent on the gaping holes everywhere specifically the OL and secondary.  You draft Mayfield or Jackson if they don’t want to mortgage the picks and start him from day one. Dallas did it with Prescott and Texans did it with Watson and had great success.  Mayfield and Jackson have the moxie to handle it. With a few years under his belt, continuing to develop the younger players and filling in the pieces with FA’s and draft picks, you can now be competitive for a playoff run. 

We have disagreed SO much lately that I forgot that we actually have the ability to agree. Yes! Mayfield baby! Surround him with elite talent and watch him work. Kid is a natural born playmaker

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We have disagreed SO much lately that I forgot that we actually have the ability to agree. Yes! Mayfield baby! Surround him with elite talent and watch him work. Kid is a natural born playmaker

We’re not getting Darnold or Rosen. I’m terrified someone may swoop down to 3 or 4 and take Mayfield or the Broncos may take him at 5. Do what it takes to get to 3 and grab Mayfield. He’s a more stable prospect than Jackson or Allen and won’t cost as much to move up to #1. 

7 hours ago, BigO said:

We’re not getting Darnold or Rosen. I’m terrified someone may swoop down to 3 or 4 and take Mayfield or the Broncos may take him at 5. Do what it takes to get to 3 and grab Mayfield. He’s a more stable prospect than Jackson or Allen and won’t cost as much to move up to #1. 

yeah, If you want Mayfield you're going to have to trade up to 3.  That's the thing that also needs to be added to this question.  

My guess is both two's will have to be added to #6 overall.

Archived