Are people overlooking Luke Falk? why?

k-met57

Same conference as Darnold. Good 2017 actually down a bit from 2016, but u take out the Cal game and you are looking at 30TD's vs 8 picks without all the Darnold fumbles.

Threw a ton in college, over 600 attempts in 2016

knock on him seems to be arm strength, which as we know can be developed (see Tom Brady) and system...which....none of the college QB's took any snaps from under center...so that makes no sense.

there is at least a decent chance this guy ends up being the best QB out of them, even if he is kind of boring compared to darnold and mayfield.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/multiple-nfl-draft-analysts-agree-wsu-qb-luke-falk-has-impressed-on-and-off-the-field-during-senior-bowl-week/

He’s also pure dogsh*t at feeling the rush in the pocket. He holds onto the ball way too long and takes too many sacks. Just throw the ball away for God’s sake.

He has his positive traits, but I personally think he turns into one of the top backup QB’s in the league.

Only way I’m drafting him is if the Jets sign Cousins and Falk is still on the board when we pick in the 3rd. Could be a solid, smart backup to Cousins for 4-5 years.

Overall for me...it’s Cousins, Darnold or Bust.

I’m not content with one of the lesser QB’s in the draft and Rosen’s beanstalk frame and injury history scare the hell out of me.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

He’s also pure dogsh*t at feeling the rush in the pocket. He holds onto the ball way too long and takes too many sacks. Just throw the ball away for God’s sake.

He has his positive traits, but I personally think he turns into one of the top backup QB’s in the league.

Only way I’m drafting him is if the Jets sign Cousins and Falk is still on the board when we pick in the 3rd. Could be a solid, smart backup to Cousins for 4-5 years.

i hate to say it but a top backup in the league would be an improvement at starting for us compared to like 18 out of the last say 20 years.

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah offered his thoughts on Falk in his First Look series, which included a comp to Washington Redskins starter Kirk Cousins:

“He reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins. Both guys played a lot of football in college (4-year players) and helped elevate their programs. They are also both very mature and respected by coaches and teammates. If Falk can add a little strength, I think he’s going to be a long-term starter at the next level.”

Right now, until something changes (which of course LOTS will change over the next two months), I would consider trading down in the 1st to stockpile some picks, and try and draft him in the 2nd round. 

I really like this kid.  His arm strength is fine, but he is ACCURATE.  He also has great pocket awareness and sense.  What a crazy set of traits to have for a NY QB.

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sorry Gat, I gotta disagree.  He is almost the spitting-image of your guy Cousins. 

That would be Kyle Lauletta for me, maybe even Silvers from Troy. Did the whole no competition spread guy thing with Geno, I’ll politely pass. 

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah offered his thoughts on Falk in his First Look series, which included a comp to Washington Redskins starter Kirk Cousins:

“He reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins. Both guys played a lot of football in college (4-year players) and helped elevate their programs. They are also both very mature and respected by coaches and teammates. If Falk can add a little strength, I think he’s going to be a long-term starter at the next level.”

I was wondering why people were making the comparison, shoulda known it came from a certified expert first.

Anyway Cousins and Falk played in completely different offenses in college. Cousins played in a pro style offense, this guy played in a quick read spread. Cousins’ MSU teams were far more nationally competitive, this guy played nobody in a diminished Pac-10.

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Kirk Cousins? Not sure about that comp. Cousins came from a pro style offense and had better arm strength. I think Falk is like Cousins in that I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a better QB than at least 1 of the top 5,  much like Cousins turned out to be a better Qb than RG3/Weeden/Osweiller. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Kirk Cousins? Not sure about that comp. Cousins came from a pro style offense and had better arm strength. I think Falk is like Cousins in that I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a better QB than at least 1 of the top 5,  much like Cousins turned out to be a better Qb than RG3/Weeden/Osweiller. 

seriously, maybe personality wise, but cousins played in a pro style offense at MSU and was way readier entering the nfl.

29 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Love this thread. Falk is the quintessential back up with the same ceiling as a guy like Kirk Cousins. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the 2nd round. 

Ignoring that he can dream...Anytime the always nebulous “ceiling” is a prospect’s big selling point past because he kinda sorta looks the part, he’s doing it wrong.

What builds this comp is a sloppy mess. If you push aside the 29 tunrovers between 2016-2017 in a pop gun offense the numbers resemble a viable QB prospect (lots of starts, passes, completed passes). From there it’s JN math where Cousins is the lowest reputation guy among the league’s best passers as a 3rd round pick, Falk might go that high plus maybe they look vaguely similar, therefore Falk can be Cousins. 

This guy’s ceiling is Case Keenum, who was an insanely more productive passer in a similarly QB friendly college offense playing meh competition. 

Based on these JN assessments Luke Falk will be a star in the NFL along with Josh Allen, lol. We'll be revisiting these threads and reminiscing about what could have been as these two QBs wipe their azzes on our faces playing for the Fins & Browns in the AFC. In the NFC, Baker Mayfield is the new fresh face in NY with the Giants, fist bumping with OBJ after another TD throw. 

You just know it's gonna happen. Meanwhile, Cousins goes to Denver, Jets give up 2 & 3, next years 1st to move to 3. Darnold & Mayfield go 1 & 2, we draft Rosen & after 2 more concussions he decides along with his father he's just not into this NFL thing anymore, too much risk.

That would be SO JETSY. JET UP EVERYONE! 

He might be solid but I doubt he'd be special. Put up numbers in a system where everyone put up numbers but I don't know if he has the arm talent for the NFL. Seems like a smart guy who would maximize his skill set.

If god forbid we strike out on the top QBs and Cousins I'd be okay with him in the second round.

50 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Ignoring that he can dream...Anytime the always nebulous “ceiling” is a prospect’s big selling point past because he kinda sorta looks the part, he’s doing it wrong.

What builds this comp is a sloppy mess. If you push aside the 29 tunrovers between 2016-2017 in a pop gun offense the numbers resemble a viable QB prospect (lots of starts, passes, completed passes). From there it’s JN math where Cousins is the lowest reputation guy among the league’s best passers as a 3rd round pick, Falk might go that high plus maybe they look vaguely similar, therefore Falk can be Cousins. 

This guy’s ceiling is Case Keenum, who was an insanely more productive passer in a similarly QB friendly college offense playing meh competition. 

Listening to you pontificate over a guy who's never won a playoff game in his career for another couple months is going to be exciting.

24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He might be solid but I doubt he'd be special. Put up numbers in a system where everyone put up numbers but I don't know if he has the arm talent for the NFL. Seems like a smart guy who would maximize his skill set.

If god forbid we strike out on the top QBs and Cousins I'd be okay with him in the second round.

Chad Pennington was taken in the first round. I think this kid could have a similar path on the right team. And like Cousins, I don't think he's probably a guy who's going to win you enough games on his back, but on the right team he can potentially be a good starter, maybe always a step down from franchise qb but he's not gonna hurt you either. Awesome #2 prospect with potential to be that solid starter. I personally think he's got a better arm and safer than someone like Rudolph.

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Listening to you pontificate over a guy who's never won a playoff game in his career for another couple months is going to be exciting.

As will the passive aggressive swipes that introduce those posts!

Luke Falk’s team lost 42-17 to MSU and and 37-3 to Cal (among others) before missing the Bowl game to an injury his new team will get to fix. Upside potential Ceiling development! 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

As will the passive aggressive swipes that introduce those posts!

Luke Falk’s team lost 42-17 to MSU and and 37-3 to Cal before missing the Bowl game to an injury his new team will get to fix. Ceiling! 

His ceiling is about where Cousins is at. Back up who could turn into a good starting QB, he's not a franchise qb who can take a team on his back. 

Now waste your time over exaggerating to me how great Cousins is some more. 

If the Jets do not sign Cousins and cannot snare one of the top 3 QBs in the draft, picking a Falk or Rudolph in the second round and signing a Bridgewater, etc. could be a decent plan for 2018 if they could draft a Barkley or Chubb in the first.

I would rather pick Falk in the second round than Allen in the first.  

Archived