Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Redskins thought so much of Cousins that they parted with draft picks and a player for the rights to the walking definition of a mediocre quarterback, and the Jets are going to try and give the QB whom just lost his job to Alex Smith $180 million dollars.

Never going to happen.

Maccagnan is not going full-O'Donnell, no worries.  We are going to skate through this offseason making no noise at quarterback whatsoever.  Well, except when we give McCown the same deal Fitzpatrick got and then all the Cousins blowers will howl for six months.

SAR I

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, slimjasi said:

The only argument for not drafting a QB is the argument that it's really hard to pick the right guy

It’s not that hard, there just aren’t many of them. Guys who put up back to back season ranking 3-7 in DVOA and DYAR in their first two years as a starter while in their 20s do not grow on trees, so when one hits the open market - draft or otherwise - pay up if you’ve got it. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The only argument for not drafting a QB is the argument that it's really hard to pick the right guy and that there are a lot of busts. But, that's a losing franchise's mentality.

No it's not, the argument for signing Cousins is that you know he can produce high caliber results while having an ever changing cast around him. You don't know what it will cost to move up for what might be the 3rd best QB. Realistically the chances of any of these QBs performing up to the level that Kirk has so far is pretty slim. 

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

@slimjasi I'm still waiting on a reply about why Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington. I gave you a whole time line of events taken from Redskins fans and you either haven't read it or are quietly eating crow.

Kirk wanted no part of Washington outside of saying the right things. Kirk was going to walk out their door and it's been obvious since the Summer.

Yea, so I just read it. 

Sounded like a lot of innuendo to me - I wouldn't really consider Jets fans a reliable source for most of the BS that goes on with this franchise. I haven't read a good deal of that from any major reporter anywhere - and I read them all. Why are Redskins fans the objective arbiter on all things Kirk Cousins?

But, regardless, let's assume that everything you wrote is entirely accurate (ok, cool). . . None of that means that they ever thought he was a stud, franchise guy. And the bottom line is that I don't think he is either. So . . . I don't want the Jets to pay him like one. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, so I just read it. 

Sounded like a lot of innuendo to me - I wouldn't really consider Jets fans a reliable source for most of the BS that goes on with this franchise. I haven't read a good deal of that from any major reporter anywhere - and I read them all. Why are Redskins fans the objective arbiter on all things Kirk Cousins?

But, regardless, let's assume that everything you wrote is entirely accurate (ok, cool). . . None of that means that they ever thought he was a stud, franchise guy. And the bottom line is that I don't think he is either. So . . . I don't want the Jets to pay him like one. 

He got this directly from the Redskins board. I seen him registered on there. This isn’t a “Jet fan’s opinion” on a different franchise. This is 100% what they told me as well.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, so I just read it. 

I suggest you go read their fan forums and see just how upset the Skins fans are. They offered him a 5 year deal this offseason making him the 2nd highest paid QB and Kirk didn't try to counter offer. Your whole point was that the Redskins are letting him walk because he's not a franchise guy, that isn't true because Kirk is the one that refused to negotiate or sign a deal with them. 

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Mac's plan, fix the cap and pass on QB last year and go all in this year.  Haters gotta agree he's done a good job accumulating picks and cash.   Now he just needs to not F it up.

Just back date this post, scratch out mac and insert idzik.  GMs have a really hard time just not fing up the draft.

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Just because Kirk Cousins is the King Of The Mediocre doesn't make him anyone's franchise quarterback and certainly not worth that kind of money.

SAR I

When Mark Sanchez throws for over 4000 yards, 27 TDs & 13 INT to new WRs, an injured TE, an Oline because of injury that had the 2nd most shuffled line in the NFL, let me know.

Ridiculous that Jet fans are poo pooing signing Kirk Cousins! Actually MIND BOGGLING after the SH*T I've been watching all these years! 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

He got this directly from the Redskins board. I seen him registered on there. This isn’t a “Jet fan’s opinion” on a different franchise. This is 100% what they told me as well.

I know. I wrote "Why are Redskins fans the objective arbiter on all things Kirk Cousins?" (When I wrote "I wouldn't really consider Jets fans a reliable source for most of the BS that goes on with this franchise," I was using this fanbase as an example). 

Get it?

Hmm well. Washington it was clear weren't going forward with Cousins and they needed a QB, what are their choices. Only decent QB on FA (or seemingly available) is Smith, or draft a QB. They probably felt they aren't in the running to get a top 4-5 QB in the draft so that left whatever deal with Smith.

I'm glad it's not us, but putting yourself in Washington's shoes it clears up the QB situation and despite the wreck they can move forward. IMO.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I know. I wrote "Why are Redskins fans the objective arbiter on all things Kirk Cousins?" (When I wrote "I wouldn't really consider Jets fans a reliable source for most of the BS that goes on with this franchise," I was using this fanbase as an example). 

Get it?

Yeah, now I do, you just wrote it in a really sh*tty way. 

Thanks 4 the analytical breakdown, newb.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

that isn't true because Kirk is the one that refused to negotiate or sign a deal with them. 

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. I don't care what the Redskins fans say. Jets fans also say a lot of things about this franchise that are total horsesh*t. 

Guys like Peter King, Adam Schefter, etc. have been reporting on the Cousins saga for a long time now. None of them have reported that Cousins refused to ever negotiate with the Redskins. I just don't buy that.

If you can get me independent corroboration from some reporters, then cool. But I have been interested in the Cousins thing for a while now and I haven't seen it ever depicted quite the way you have. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Vikings are also likely to be in play.  All 3 of their QBs are FA.  They have plenty of cap space and are ready to win now.  Not a bad landing spot if you are Kirk.

Problem is they won't have any long term money to pay their guys if they go after Cousins. Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Waynes, and Kendricks all are at the end of their deals. Can't sign them if they throw big money at Cousins.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, now I do, you just wrote it in a really sh*tty way. 

Thanks 4 the analytical breakdown, newb.

How about reading carefully and critically and not blaming the writer for your sh*tty reading comprehension?

Newb. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets sign cousins, fine not my 1st choice but better than nothing, if they actually give up picks and a monster contract they are lead by fools once again.

He's gonna be a free agent.  No trading back picks, just sign him and he's ours.

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

one dismisses passively while the other less passively. Congrats! 

No, one dismisses it and one doesn't dismiss it at all.

Again, this delusion that you have that I denied that the Redskins ever tried to negotiate with Cousins is just that . . . a delusion. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

How about reading carefully and critically and not blaming the writer for your sh*tty reading comprehension?

Newb. 

You sure are a pro at having to fabricate your intelligence LOL. 

Nothing you are saying has been written critically or carefully. Slow down there, newb.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. I don't care what the Redskins fans say. Jets fans also say a lot of things about this franchise that are total horsesh*t. 

Guys like Peter King, Adam Schefter, etc. have been reporting on the Cousins saga for a long time now. None of them have reported that Cousins refused to ever negotiate with the Redskins. I just don't buy that.

If you can get me independent corroboration from some reporters, then cool. But I have been interested in the Cousins thing for a while now and I haven't seen it ever depicted quite the way you have. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

Redskins offered a contract.  Cousins  rejected it and never countered.   What more proof do u need?

Archived