Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's not about me surviving. It's about this franchise making a prudent decision and drafting/developing their own guy instead of paying a "nice" player like he's great player. 

Again, no rule book on where to get the QB. Arbitrary and subjective message board analysis is not the standard. By more objective analysis he’s an elite passer the past three years. 

BTW Browns and Redskins the big Smith pursuers...Big time orgs making big time calls 

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

You don't like Cousins and that's fine.  I've been a bit on the fence about him versus simply going the draft route.

That said, this Smith deal is so idiotic, I lost even the slightest bit of respect that could previously be had for Washington's evaluation of QBs.  Them having their heads so far up their asses has absolutely no impact on what Cousins will or won't be for his next team, regardless of where that ends up being.

Smith is solid. He wont make mistakes, and he allows them to draft a young player for Smith to mentor. you could argue the $'s...but thats the market.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

:shrugs: I mean when that’s your spin *and* you’re willing to pretend they made no offers or attempts,

Interesting. When did I write this?

Apparently, your "spin" is that the Redskins trading for a 33 year old checkdown charlie had no bearing on how they felt about captain Kirk. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Them having their heads so far up their asses has absolutely no impact on what Cousins will or won't be for his next team, regardless of where that ends up being.

Agree, but I think if the Redskins thought he was really all that, Cousins would have been locked up a year or two ago. 

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you asked me to give you the list...take it down a notch buddy....we are all friends here.

I'm tired of people jumping down my throat because i'm sporting a healthy amount of concern. We should all be a little cautiously optimistic of making such a massive signing. I don't think he's smart to be dismissing some level of trepidation. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hell yeah!

Because we have great weather (Miami, Jacksonville), are a playoff team (Buffalo, Minnesota, Jacksonville), and have a great GM/FO (Denver, Jacksonville)!  Go Jets!

SAR I

You named 2 teams that are realistic and 4 that are not.  Your list is invalid.

We are the favorite.  Repeat that like a mantra while sipping on your Dewars and water and watching reruns of Shark Tank on CNBC.

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Boy, you guys are really infatuated with this guy, huh?

How would you know any of this?

The long answer: back in 2011-2012 off-season, Dan Snyder was tired of Mike Shanahan's crap regarding Rex Grossman and John Beck. It's still unclear who was responsible for the Donovan McNabb fiasco, but Shanny definitely held the bag for the next iteration of terrible QBs. So Snyder/Allen basically laid it out: Either Shanny takes Griffin with the number 2 pick, or he was fired. Shanahan didn't really want to, but he also didn't want to lose his job, so the deal was made, and Griffin was drafted.

Then came the fourth round and a guy named Kirk Cousins was selected by the Redskins. Shanahan played it off like he needed a backup, particularly for a mobile QB. And for at time, it was believable. Griffin excelled in the offense the Shanahans built for him. The Redskins went to the playoffs. The Nationals won 98 games. The Caps started to dominant. The DC sports curse was broken.

Before going on, you need to understand the relationship that Griffin and Snyder had. It was special. It was unique. Griffin was not treated like other players. Griffin was the blessed child. And SSnyder loved every minute of it. He'd been waiting for 15+ years for this moment. He had a young, hip, black franchise QB. And, yes, skin color was important here. Snyder had been besieged by his money grubbing tactics in the press, and the Redskins name controversy was not going away. Griffin being the franchise QB gave Snyder everything he needed to counter the social pressure around him. And he treated that guy like his own kid.

And  then Griffin was injured in the Seattle game. The curse remained alive. The fan base was stunned. Griffin was shook. But he rehabbed his *** off to get back. And then the nonsense started. He wanted the playbook changed. He didn't want to run as much option. He wanted to become a real pocket passer. The problem was, he'd never done it before. It became very obvious he couldn't do it. He didn't make basic reads. He couldn't make basic passes. Griffin could not operate as an NFL QB. But Snyder didn't care because that was HIS guy. Shanahan finally benched him at the end of the 2013 and Snyder fired Shanahan.

Jay Gruden was hired for the 2014 season. He was brought in to coach up Griffin. The guy who turned Andy Dalton into a pro-bowler. This was going to be the guy. Except ... Griffin still sucked. He got hurt in Week 2 and when he came back, he showed no progression until the last couple of games. Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen elected to pick up his option (15 million).

Now, during this saga, Cousins got chances and was up and down. Sometimes he flashed. Sometimes he struggled. There were questions about his attitude and demeanor. He allegedly asked for a trade.

During the 2015 preseason, Griffin got hurt. Cousins lept at the opportunity. He shined. He flat out won the job. Particularly down the stretch, Cousins was elite, taking the Redskins to the playoffs.

Prior to the season, the Redskins did something that truly hadn't done since Snyder was the owner: Get a general manager. At least from the outside, Scot McCloughan was totally in control of football operations. Bruce Allen was there to kiss babies, set up the homecoming game, and get Snyder a new stadium deal. We know now this wasn't the case, as McCloughan was nothing more than a glorified scout. During the 2015 season, McClough recognized that Cousins had the chops to be a very good NFL QB and started negotiating with his agent. Prior to the 2015 season ending, Cousins and his agent agreed to a deal that was essentially a 3 year, 19 million per year deal. McCloughan was stoked and took it to ownership, as, for obvious reasons, ownership has to sign off on that kind of deal

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen said no.

You see, Cousins is the reminder of everything they screwed up and they didn't want to admit it. They felt Cousins was a flash in the pants and that he couldn't duplicate it. However both Gruden and McCloughan made it clear the team would face a lost season if Cousins was allowed to walk. Facing a dramatic drop in ticket sales to accompany the never ending PR nightmare that was the Redskins' front office, Snyder/Allen chose to franchise him. They bet he couldn't sustain his end of 2015 performance. Once again, they were wrong. Cousins lit it up. Dude put up elite numbers.

Meanwhile, two major things happened during the 2016-2017 offseason. The QB market continued to explode, with guys like Mike Glennon getting a huge deal, and Derek Carr getting a monster one. It was obvious that the original 19 million a year deal simply wasn't going to cut it. It was also obvious that Cousins was more than satisfied with being franchised again. Given the amount of money they guaranteed him, I don't blame him. But Cousins says all the right things, became a leader on the field, and learned to deliver in the clutch.

The second issue was the massive dysfunction that had come to a head at Redskins park. Allen had basically forced McCloughan out, with tales of heavy drinking being circulated throughout the media. McCoughlan wasn't at the combine and in March, was let go. Bruce Allen held press conferences and radio interviews with Tennessee sports talk radio, alleging  problems with McCloughan. The Redskins again elected to franchise Cousins, in the hope of working out a long term deal.

Which did not happen, and  in July of 2017, Bruce Allen held a press conference at Redskins Park where he informed everyone that "K-U-R-T Cousins" turned down $53 million guaranteed. Yes, Kurt. The president of the team mispronounced the first name of the franchise quarterback. Six freaking times. He chose his words carefully, saying that the contract would guarantee $53 million and make him the second highest paid per year over the contract. What he failed to mention was they were already in for 24 million, so the guarantee was only about 20 million more and the deal was fairly backloaded. Cousins' agent did not counter offer.

So Cousins is playing another year on the franchise tag, and despite losing his two 1000 yard receivers, he's second in passing yards. For his entire time in DC, Cousins has been brushed off and cast aside by ownership, who either didn't want him or refused to believe in him. He's been through two coaches and now three OCs. He watched as the GM who most believed in him was slandered in the press and embarrassingly drummed out of his job. He's watched the front office be one of the most inept and disingenuous in all of sports.

And now that same ownership is expecting to get some sort of home town discount. So yeah, that's why there isn't a deal despite three years. Because ownership didn't want to until it was too late.

Just now, Paradis said:

I'm tired of people jumping down my throat because i'm sporting a healthy amount of concern. We should all be a little cautiously optimistic of making such a massive signing. I don't think he's smart to be dismissing some level of trepidation. 

Agreed.  If you had the option, would you prefer Cousins at 30 mil per or Drafting Mayfield at 6?

Just now, Paradis said:

there is nothing and i repeat nothing more disheartening then going into a year with Fitzpatrick, Mccown, Sanchez, Geno, etc... into an NFL season. Knowing the day the season starts that its over...be cautiously optimistic...we should all be...but this is by far not the worst thing that can happen to us Jets fan.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting. When did I write this?

26 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Soooooo that $42 million they paid and the $53 garaunteed they offered are....? 

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That doesn't mean anything. 

Noooot even 30 minutes ago 

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Same here.  And these are the same clowns who are such quarterback experts that they ran Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Sanchez out of town, two guys who actually played well enough to set team records in their short stays in green.

I've seen Kirk Cousins on the New York Jets already.  The Washington Redskins are the Jets in maroon uniforms.  It ends out of the playoffs.

SAR I

You'd resign Mark Sanchez in a heartbeat, wouldn't ya?

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Again, no rule book on where to get the QB. Arbitrary and subjective message board analysis is not the standard. 

There's no "rulebook"  . . . only logic and common sense. If you draft your own guy, you can contend for a decade plus and spend a fraction of the total cost. It's much harder to pull off, but the payoff is bigger. Did you take math in school?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agree, but I think if the Redskins thought he was really all that, Cousins would have been locked up a year or two ago. 

We'll see how it all ends up.  If he goes somewhere else, I hope he turns out to be massively overrated and has a career nosedive.  If he ends up on the Jets, I'm hoping the Redskins end up looking like the modern day version of the Dolphins choosing Culpepper over Brees.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There's not a "rulebook"  . . . only logic. If you draft your own guy, you can contend for a decade plus and spend a fraction of the total cost. It's much harder to pull off, but the payoff is bigger. Did you take math in school?

Bold: Ah, and using “only logic” Alex Smith > Kirk Cousins and the big pursuit between the Redskins and Browns prove it? 

Not bold: Massive assumptions aside, eventually if you want that magical decade you have to pay the QB. The payoff is the same - nobody cares how you got the QB so long as you have one. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Noooot even 30 minutes ago 

"That doesn't mean anything" = "They made no offers or attempts"?

Serious question: Have you actually read any posts in this thread or are you just blindly posting about your hero, captain Kirk?

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Smith is solid. He wont make mistakes, and he allows them to draft a young player for Smith to mentor. you could argue the $'s...but thats the market.

Sure he's solid, but if they were just looking for a hold the fort guy, there's plenty of other options out there at a fraction of the price and without a trade cost.  Beyond that though, the fact that they're tacking another 4 years onto his deal with lots of guaranteed money would suggest they plan on sticking with him as their guy for a quite a while, and that young QB probably won't be coming around any time soon, or at least not one that they put any significant investment into.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Sure he's solid, but if they were just looking for a hold the fort guy, there's plenty of other options out there at a fraction of the price and without a trade cost.  Beyond that though, the fact that they're tacking another 4 years onto his deal with lots of guaranteed money would suggest they plan on sticking with him as their guy for a quite a while, and that young QB probably won't be coming around any time soon, or at least not one that they put any significant investment into.

i would bet you that its front loaded...guarantee.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Same here.  And these are the same clowns who are such quarterback experts that they ran Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Sanchez out of town, two guys who actually played well enough to set team records in their short stays in green.

I've seen Kirk Cousins on the New York Jets already.  The Washington Redskins are the Jets in maroon uniforms.  It ends out of the playoffs.

SAR I

The 2nd paragraph is a very good point (and one I've never heard before). 

The 1st paragraph - not so much.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

. The payoff is the same - nobody cares how you got the QB so long as you have one. 

Wrong. In point of fact, the payoff is definitively not the same for two obvious reasons:

1) You have the guy you drafted for a longer period of time (usually by a long shot).

2) You get to pay the guy you drafted a lot less in the early part of his career than you have to pay the guy you sign as a free agent - meaning you have more money in the early years to build a stronger team. 

Once again - Did you take math in school?

Snow
Gas
kitchens
Albuquerque
what's your point? There's gonna be cap casualties whenever you pay a guy 400 million dollars.
Look pal, you want him? great. Good for you and your kids. It's NOT however, insane to be a little bit leery of spending that money on someone, anyone not named Tom Brady... so fck off giving me a hard time for not being totally kosher and having some trepidation here. 

What I tell you? No kids!!!! IMG_0671.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Agreed.  If you had the option, would you prefer Cousins at 30 mil per or Drafting Mayfield at 6?

Issue is that you can't guarantee Mayfield is there at 6, obviously that would be the ideal move. The options are likely 1) sign Kirk or 2) trade up to assure you get the best QB possible. I'm not sure sitting at 6 is smart when there will be 3 teams that could want to trade out in front of us (assuming Denver then got Cousins)

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

"That doesn't mean anything" = "They made no offers or attempts"?

Serious question: Have you actually read any posts in this thread or are you just blindly posting about your hero, captain Kirk

Oh good Jah, a point for semantics lol. Sorry you totally definitely had a deeper intention when brushing aside the money. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Which would be good news for us either way.  Either we get our guy in FA, or it takes the Broncos out of the market in the draft.

Elway will trade the pick to a QB hungry team who will draft the next Favre right in front of us again.

Archived