Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

they paid Smith

This is what is so damning to me about their take on Cousins. Sure, maybe there is bad blood, but I also think it's pretty clear that they aren't anywhere near as infatuated with Cousins QB ability as Jets fans are. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, slimjasi said:

This is what is so damning to me about their take on Cousins. Sure, maybe there is bad blood, but I also think it's pretty clear that they aren't anywhere near as infatuated with Cousins QB ability as Jets fans are. 

Soooooo that $42 million they paid and the $53 garaunteed they offered are....? 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, so what does it tell you that they didn't want to pay him the big bucks? Bad Blood? What if they just don't think he's that good? Is that possible?

Nah, not gonna help. Gonna lead the campaign against it, actually. 

You need to understand his time in Washington before you ask this, it's clear as day they were embarrassed by the RG3 situation and then fudged the contract negotiations. They are not letting Kirk go, Kirk is flipping them the bird while he walks out the door. Kirk doesn't want to be there.

Just now, David Harris said:

I’d give be Cousins $40 million guaranteed year one...this team is I capabale if draftjng or building a QB- his is the once a decade chance to get a decent proven starter at sports most important position.  

We are decades jus languishing in mediocrity .

we have to overpay because why would anyone come here for an equal salary- the Browns literally have more talent than us.

if Mac doesn’t take this bull by the horns than I am done with him. And I am a hug Mac supporter but this IS IT. This decision changes the course of the franchise. Go get or ******* guy.

even we had one of the top 2 picks than no need but after fkn up the tank it’s the least hey could do

honestly eve if we had the 5th pick...you could made the argument. we are in a position where the top guys will be well gone by 6.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Go talk to their fans who have been freaking out over losing him for the last year and a half because there are millions and they actually watched the guy play every single game of his career.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. Washington definitely thinks Cousins is a top 10 QB. Definitely. Why else would they trade their 29 year old stud for a 33 year old check down Charlie?

Just a a thought. 

1) Money

2) If he won't sign a long-term deal, it won't matter.  You could have Tom Brady as your QB, but if he won't sign, you have to do something.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Maybe? Not really? 

I mean, it wouldn't sway in a big way one way or another. 

Just saying, the decision makers in Washington are knuckleheads. They bungled their relationship with Cousins, and ended up with Alex Smith, who Andy Reid obviously didnt think was good enough. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Soooooo that $42 million they paid and the $53 garaunteed they offered are....? 

That doesn't mean anything. They traded him for a guy 4 years older and THEN paid him. They didn't think Cousins was worth the stud money that he thought he was. I'm not sure what else to tell you. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

You need to understand his time in Washington before you ask this, it's clear as day they were embarrassed by the RG3 situation and then fudged the contract negotiations. They are not letting Kirk go, Kirk is flipping them the bird while he walks out the door. Kirk doesn't want to be there.

Boy, you guys are really infatuated with this guy, huh?

How would you know any of this?

You are repeating yourself... a lot.    We got your point already.

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just saying, the decision makers in Washington are knuckleheads. They bungled their relationship with Cousins, and ended up with Alex Smith, who Andy Reid obviously didnt think was good enough. 

Agree. But I'm talking about Cousins. (I totally agree that Alex Smith is not good enough and he is another guy I was totally against the Jets bringing in). I thought u were talking about some known opinion of Andy Reid's on Cousins. 

I have no issue if anyone's own opinion of Cousins in not particularly favorable, but there are some pretty big leaps being made here by some trying to draw a narrative from this move simply to get it to support their own personal views.  If you were to use the logic regarding a player leaving a team as proof positive about that player's abilities, it would have to go both ways.  After all, if Cousins leaving Washington says how little you believe they think of him, by the same token, it would suggest a less than favorable evaluation of Smith as well.  By that logic, the theory would be that KC doesn't think Smith is worth $17M, and yet for some reason the Redskins are set to send a draft bundle for the right to acquire him and pay him significantly more than that.

Now don't get me wrong, none of this is meant to sway anyone should let this move influence their own views of Cousin one way or another, but rather it's a bit of a stretch to conclude that a player hitting FA is on its own the basis for evaluating him.

regardless if you like Kirk Cousins or not, the Jets signing him is a great thing for this fan base and for this team. It makes us more flexible in upgrading the rest of the team and guarantees we will be competitive next year and for the next few years. you could argue the long term merrits of signing him...but bottom line we are all fans...we want a winning product over what we've had for most of our lives.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Fcking 90 million dollar extension for Alex Smith...?

Man, are we really going to make Kirk Cousins THE highest paid player in the NFL... ugh.

Nope.  Not going to happen.  Mccagnan isn't going full O'Donnell, no way.  Also...

Miami
Buffalo
Denver
Minnesota
Jacksonville

All better destinations than Florham Park.  Not to mention Indianapolis (if Smith got that money, what would Luck be worth?) or even Pittsburgh (same for Roethlisberger even on his last legs).

Kirk Cousins will not come to New York.  This talk is ludicrous.

SAR I

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

That doesn't mean anything. They traded him for a guy 4 years older and THEN paid him. They didn't think Cousins was worth the stud money that he thought he was. I'm not sure what else to tell you. 

They had to pay him, wtf? 

You think he was going to stay on that one year deal with no successor behind him? Jay Gruden has been pounding his hand on the table for Kirk. The GM screwed up. If they didn’t think he was that good then why did they franchise tag him twice? They screwed up. Idk what is so hard for you to understand about that. This isn’t Madden. You can’t give a computerized agent contract offer after contract offer and him not get infuriated with the flaky business work.

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Cousins is a C+ to B- QB. I personally think the draft is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I trust these dicks to develop a QB about as far as I can throw them.

Go get Kirk

P.S. He’s more like a B+ QB

I don’t care if he’s not Brady or Rodgers. Few are. But he’s a borderline Top 10 QB just hitting his prime.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

actually worse than that, the redskins fired mcgloughan who cousins had a great relationship with.   he basically said he won't negotiate with bruce allen.   

Very true and a good point but I think we have to consider Washington (Daniel) made that decision 3 years ago and Kirk proved them wrong with his play on the field and now we are dealing with egos 

Have you ever had a fight with a "significant other" over something stupid that escalated beyond reason?  just saying it's possible - agree the Jets should build in protection but this is not an opportunity to pass on 

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I have no issue if anyone's own opinion of Cousins in not particularly favorable, but there are some pretty big leaps being made here by some trying to draw a narrative from this move simply to get it to support their own personal views.  If you were to use the logic regarding a player leaving a team as proof positive about that player's abilities, it would have to go both ways.  After all, if Cousins leaving Washington says how little you believe they think of him, by the same token, it would suggest a less than favorable evaluation of Smith as well.  By that logic, the theory would be that KC doesn't think Smith is worth $17M, and yet for some reason the Redskins are set to send a draft bundle for the right to acquire him and pay him significantly more than that.

Now don't get me wrong, none of this is meant to sway anyone should let this move influence their own views of Cousin one way or another, but rather it's a bit of a stretch to conclude that a player hitting FA is on its own the basis for evaluating him.

It's bigger than Washington. Teams don't let stud QBs go in free agency. Obviously they could be wrong about him, but I don't think they think he is a stud QB and I think we should be very wary of making him the highest QB in the league.

It would be SO Jetsy to sign cousins to a mega deal and then go 8-8 for the next 4 years. I can already feel it. 

11 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

signing cousins just opens up so much for us...

- become more desirable as a FA destination - check

- allow us to go BPA at 6 - check

- give us a top 12 player at the most importnat position on the team - check

salary cap causalities for the next 5 years, check.

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Very true and a good point but I think we have to consider Washington (Daniel) made that decision 3 years ago and Kirk proved them wrong with his play on the field and now we are dealing with egos 

Have you ever had a fight with a "significant other" over something stupid that escalated beyond reason?  just saying it's possible - agree the Jets should build in protection but this is not an opportunity to pass on 

Yeah, sure, that's theoretically possible, but wouldn't a simpler solution be that they just don't think he's that great?

Archived