Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Wrong. In point of fact, it's definitively not for two obvious reasons:

1) You have the guy you drafted longer (usually by a long shot).

2) You get to pay the guy you drafted a lot less in the early part of his career than you have to pay the guy you sign as a free agent - meaning you have more money in the early years to build a stronger team. 

Once again - Did you take math in school?

You have the drafted payer for 4 years on a cheap deal assuming you take him in round 1, no Good rookie goes into the final year of his contract without getting paid. See Newton, Wilson, and Carr. You will need to heavily pay a QB at some point and IMO if you can heavily front load it so it doesn't hurt your team from acquiring talent then that's the way to go.

+$70M in cap in 2018 (4th most)

+$45M in cap in 2019 (11th most)

Plus 2 full drafts and no home grown FAs up for contracts until 2020

All that is AFTER paying Kirk 6 year $168M ($28M per year) by year 3 he'd be paid the same as the 16th highest paid QB or 12.0% of the overall cap. Every year after than his percentage would go down ultimately costing 10.0% of the cap in his final year (34 years old)

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Oh good Jah, a point for semantics lol. Sorry you totally definitely had a deeper intention when brushing aside the money. 

LOL, semantics. 

They are totally different words, with a completely different collective meaning (i.e. see what I wrote later in that same post). It's almost like you got lazy and just picked a random phrase that I typed. 

Seriously, get a clue. 

Well, we're into step 2 on our quest to sign Kirk Cousins. Next step will be our 2nd rounder we got for Sheldon. 

Who would have thought the Jets would be this close to solving their QB problem for the next 7/8 years? 

And just imagine if Macc can close this deal, he'll have traded Sheldon, received Kearse & Cousins, and maybe just maybe resigns Richardson in free agency for his boy Todd.

2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Perhaps another reason  Redskins did this so early.  They have time to try to trade cousins.

One situation the Redskins fans are talking about is:

Denver gets Cousins

Washington swaps 1st round picks with the Broncos.

this would alllow for minimal trade assets lost for Denver and throws Washington into the top of the draft. Now we would still have more ammo than them to move up and we would likely have to if this happened.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You have the drafted payer for 4 years on a cheap deal assuming you take him in round 1, no Good rookie goes into the final year of his contract without getting paid. See Newton, Wilson, and Carr. You will need to heavily pay a QB at some point and IMO if you can heavily front load it so it doesn't hurt your team from acquiring talent then that's the way to go.

+$70M in cap in 2018 (4th most)

+$45M in cap in 2019 (11th most)

Plus 2 full drafts and no home grown FAs up for contracts until 2020

All that is AFTER paying Kirk 6 year $168M ($28M per year) by year 3 he'd be paid the same as the 16th highest paid QB or 12.0% of the overall cap. Every year after than his percentage would go down ultimately costing 10.0% of the cap in his final year (34 years old)

Right, but presumably, you have the rookie for his entire career. The difference in payoff on the field is night and day. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but presumably, you have the rookie for his entire career. The difference in payoff on the field is night and day. 

If you hit on him. The success rate for QBs is right around 50% so why gamble when you can get the sure thing? The draft should be option 2.

Perhaps another reason  Redskins did this so early.  They have time to try to trade cousins.
[/url]  

Zero chance. Kirk maximizes his own value on the open market and there’s no way WAS can hold him once the calendar season opens. WAS can try all they want but Cousins will tell them to go **** themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Proven top 10-15 QB or Rookie who might not even pan out??? 

hmm...don’t need to be weighing my options too long if I’m trying to be logical about this. And no, failing and trying again doesn’t really resonate with me on the level it does for you. That knocks us back 5 years because we would then have to evaluate the top pick and give chance after chance in order to find out if he is the one. This regime will be long gone if that happens.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

If you hit on him. The success rate for QBs is right around 50% so why gamble when you can get the sure thing? The draft should be option 2.

Like others have said, sign Cousins, maybe draft Lualetta.

Been perusing a Redskins message board which has been quite entertaining.  Some of my favorite posts:

- Bonehead move. Havent these morons learned anything about dealing for aging QBs from Andy Reid?

Im done.

**** the redskins and **** Bruce Allen 

- Only the Redskins could turn a contract negotiation with a franchise QB into a situation where they not only sign a lesser player, but surrender assets for the privilege to do so.  The clown show never ends and the circus never leaves town.

- I am not sure if Alex Smith is huge upgrade over Colt McCoy?

- I can’t feel my legs.....my heart....

I hate Alex Smith as a player. He is everything they were hoping Kirk wasn’t. 

- Horrendous deal on every level. This is McNabb part 2. Once again Andy Reid pillaged us. We are without a doubt the most incompetent organization in professional sports and perhaps all of business in general.

- We are all out of torches - there has been a run on them recently.

- YES! I love this deal.

signed - PROFESSOR CHAOS

- Good night, all.

Forever.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Congrats to the Cousins-lovers he will be a Jet now thanks to this

He becomes our best quarterback since pre-surgery Pennington. Considering three of the four qbs in the championship games this year were all worse than cousins, how can we argue that he's not an excellent acquisition that allows the team to spend money in other areas while locking down a spot thays been in limbo for a decade?  And stl we have the 6th pick to spend on a lt or cb or saquan Barkley. It's a good move of you ask me. 

11 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No slim, there really are no rules on where teams have to get the QB. 

LOL, who wrote there are rules? The post I was responding to reads: "The payoff is the same - nobody cares how you got the QB so long as you have one." No mention of the word "rules."

My response reads: 

"Wrong. In point of fact, the payoff is definitively not the same for two obvious reasons:

1) You have the guy you drafted for a longer period of time (usually by a long shot).

2) You get to pay the guy you drafted a lot less in the early part of his career than you have to pay the guy you sign as a free agent - meaning you have more money in the early years to build a stronger team. 

Once again - Did you take math in school?"

So . . . who is talking about "rules" and why are you obsessed with that word? (you've mentioned it twice now)

Serious question - what percentage of words in a given post do you actually read? Ballpark it for me. 

29 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Hope Macc holds on to his picks if he intends to sign cousins( don't trade with DC)

Yeah, I've been on record ok if they signed Cousins. Would prefer to draft a QB. Having to give up picks for him to boot would be disappointing. 

The whole thing is weird, the redskins are weird. The way they've handled this situation last few years with the franchise tag and then this trade. It'll be interesting to compare the contracts. But, so the Redskons think Alex Smith is that much better than Cousins to even give up picks for him?

@slimjasi I'm still waiting on a reply about why Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington. I gave you a whole time line of events taken from Redskins fans and you either haven't read it or are quietly eating crow.

Kirk wanted no part of Washington outside of saying the right things. Kirk was going to walk out their door and it's been obvious since the Summer.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jets passed on two guys good enough to start for Andy Reid and Bill Obrien to draft a safety and start Josh Mccown.

The Redskins thought so much of Cousins that they parted with draft picks and a player for the rights to the walking definition of a mediocre quarterback, and the Jets are going to try and give the QB whom just lost his job to Alex Smith $180 million dollars.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Proven top 10-15 QB

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-numbers-dont-lie-kirk-cousins-is-elite/2018/01/12/bc9f04c8-f7c3-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.9d621c22759f

Let me introduce two new stats, which are tweaks on old ones. First, touchdowns vs. turnovers. No, not the usual touchdown passes vs. interceptions. I prefer all touchdowns, by pass and run, vs. all turnovers, interceptions and lost fumbles.

Why should Cam Newton’s 21 rushing scores from 2015 to 2017 be ignored when Philip Rivers has zero? Also, let’s acknowledge the gap between a fumbler, such as Bortles, with 14 lost in three years, and a tightfisted Roethlisberger (just three). 

Looked at this way, Brady, with a 99-22 touchdown-to-turnover ratio, and Rodgers, 92-30, are almost in a different quarterback universe. The next most impressive group, with tons of touchdowns but half as many turnovers (or fewer), are Brees (97-40), Wilson (94-38), Newton (97-47) and Cousins (94-47).

Some QBs have superb ratios but are so ultra-conscious of ball security that they generate fewer scores, such as Smith (69-25) and Taylor (65-21). 

The leaders in total touchdowns are Brady at 99, Brees and Newton at 97, and Cousins and Wilson at 94. If Rodgers hadn’t missed nine games this season, he would be No. 1. 

Next, let’s cook up a new stat that consolidates all the plays in which the quarterback’s performance defines the outcome: passes, sacks and rushes. Who averages the most yards per play when all types of plays are combined? In other words, who’s best at gaining big gobs of passing yardage while also avoiding sacks, scrambling for gains and even running on purpose?

Ryan, the 2016 MVP, is the leader over the past three years (7.14 yards per play), followed by Roethlisberger, Brees, Brady, Cousins and Rivers. For total yardage (passing plus rushing, minus sacks), the leaders are Brees, Rivers, Ryan and Cousins.

There’s that guy Cousins again.

10-15 is selling him short 

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Redskins thought so much of Cousins that they parted with draft picks and a player for the rights to the walking definition of a mediocre quarterback, and the Jets are going to try and give the QB whom just lost his job to Alex Smith $180 million dollars.

A move out of desperation because they know Cousins and FO are not going to get a deal done.

Just now, T0mShane said:

oh... hai..  grab a seat... you're late to the party, bub.

that weak line has already been used about 40 times in this thread and has been soundly debunked.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Once you leave old wive’s wisdom where this is likely still debatable and get to this specific situation, it really isn’t. 

The only argument for not drafting a QB is the argument that it's really hard to pick the right guy and that there are a lot of busts. But, that's a losing franchise's mentality.

The franchises who become competitive for a really long time almost always get that way by lucking out and drafting a really good QB - I hate to tell you, but they don't drastically overpay slightly above average QBs with losing career records. 

7 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He becomes our best quarterback since pre-surgery Pennington.

Ha ha ha ha.

Now there was a "pre-surgery" era?  You can't make this stuff up.

Chad Pennington was awful.  His whole career was "post-surgery".

SAR I

Archived