Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Compared to the contract he's about to get? Small potatoes. 

Again, if they were committed to him, they would be negotiating a 4-5 year deal with him instead of a guy who is 4 years older than him. 

In dollars, sure, but in years he may get one more with big garaunteed money but my guess is two. 

Preeeeetttty sure they tried negotiating with him. That doesn’t necessarily mean they will sign him or that he was obligated to, which has turned out to be the case.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, k-met57 said:

i just cant agree. look at what Minnesota just did and almost make it to the SB. If we have a top 15 QB plus young stud D, plus the 6th pick plus 2 second rounders...we could be set up to be competetive right now.

Almost being the operative word. Good luck getting another career year out of Case Keenum. The beauty in drafting and developing your own guy is that you could conceivably be a contender for the next decade. (Obviously, you have to get the right guy and develop him the right way, so it's much harder to pull off - But it is always what I would prefer)

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

they are going to take minka regardless.   might as well get Cousins, a known guy, rather than wasting another 2nd rd pick on geno hackenclemens.  

is Minka no good now? he is probably the most talented player in the draft...hopefully he can play corner...but i wouldnt be mad at Minka AT ALL if we get cousins. Claiborne, Adams, Maye and Minka in the back-end??? sign me up.

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

they are going to take minka regardless.   might as well get Cousins, a known guy, rather than wasting another 2nd rd pick on geno hackenclemens.  

How about  . . . I don't know . . . drafting a QB in the first round?

We aren't going to be worth a **** until we get better at that stuff. The short-term quick-fix is what this organization always goes for and it never works out in the end. I'd really like to see us do it the right way this time. No overpaying for above average quarterbacks.

Go find (and develop) a guy who has the potential to be very good to great for a long time. And if fail? Try again and draft your next guy. 

In this case QB’s like Cousins don’t hit market but every once in a blue moon. I don’t think we have ever over paid for a QB of Kirk Cousins stature. If the opportunity presents itself you attack and adjust your game plan....Lauletta who threw 3 touchdowns in the Senior Bowl looks like a sleeper pick if you ask me..we can draft a QB to groom. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Almost being the operative word. Good luck getting another career year out of Case Keenum. The beauty in drafting and developing your own guy is that you could conceivably be a contender for the next decade. (Obviously, you have to get the right guy and develop him the right way, so it's much harder to pull off - But it is always what I would prefer)

i agree with you in a perfect world. you want to draft young and develop so you have a cheap young stud as opposed to an expensive 29 year old stud...point is chasing the former has been going on my entire adult life...i am ready to try the latter.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

In this case QB’s like Cousins don’t hit market but every once in a blue moon. I don’t think we have ever over paid for a QB of Kirk Cousins stature. If the opportunity presents itself you attack and adjust your game plan....Lauletta who threw 3 touchdowns in the Senior Bowl looks like a sleeper pick if you ask me..we can draft a QB to groom. 

The closest would be Neil O'Donnell but I think COusins is better than O'Donnell

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Preeeeetttty sure they tried negotiating with him. That doesn’t necessarily mean they will sign him or that he was obligated to, which has turned out to be the case.

Yeah, something tells me that they didn't think he was worth anywhere near what he wants to get paid . . . Again, they didn't love him as much as you guys do. 

Forgetting for a moment getting into the great Cousins/Jets debate a month too early, more than anything right now I'm just thrilled to see that it wasn't the Jets making this mind-numbingly stupid move for Smith.  An old, pretty good but far from great QB, and you're trading for him AND giving a new long-term contract?  The only bit of interest Smith should have been getting is if he ended up on the FA market.  Don't get me wrong, it's very likely that Cousins will be overpaid in FA this year, but a team doesn't save itself tons of money by surrendering draft picks for another still expensive option (albeit less), considering the loss of the pick will result in a higher cost to replace the lost pick/player (or a significant downgrade at the position, theoretically speaking of course).

These days in the NFL's current ever-growing and rolling salary cap, it's actually become a lot easier for teams to make up for a bad contract than a wasted draft.  This move is baffling for the Redskins, other than trying to simply cover their asses in trying to look not quite as bad when Cousins leaves.  It doesn't even matter where Cousins ends up, if I were a Redskins fan, I would be pissed.  Hell, the Jets have nothing at QB and I would still be unhappy with it if they were the ones that made this move.

Just now, k-met57 said:

i agree with you in a perfect world. you want to draft young and develop so you have a cheap young stud as opposed to an expensive 29 year old stud...point is chasing the former has been going on my entire adult life...i am ready to try the latter.

I would be all for it if I thought the 29 year old in question was actually a stud. But I just don't. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yeah, something tells me that they didn't think he was worth anywhere near what he wants to get paid . . . Again, they didn't love him. 

Loved him enough to pay him $42 and offer $53 million more in garauntees last year. $$$ talks alot more than message board speculation! 

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

1/30/18, 10:24 PM

Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the four-year extension with approximately $70 million in guaranteed money on the agreement between the two sides, per @mortreport. There is no official contract or paperwork so agreement in principle right now.

Calling it now..  5 year 140 Mil contract with 62 Mil guaranteed..  Average of 28 Mil a year.  Makes him the highest paid QB in the league which will last for about a year until a bunch of other QB's get their pay days.

Get it done.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, but why throw $30 million a year and $70+ million guaranteed at Cousins when you have your pick of any of the QB’s in what is considered the best QB class in recent memory?

this is simply not true, while this class is plentiful in top end QB's....there probably isnt one sure thing in the bunch to become an all pro.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

In this case QB’s like Cousins don’t hit market but every once in a blue moon. I don’t think we have ever over paid for a QB of Kirk Cousins stature. 

Correct, they basically never hit the market . . . What does that tell you?

Something tells me we have different opinions of what Cousins' "stature" is. 

How about  . . . I don't know . . . drafting a QB in the first round?

you do realize that this team passed on BOTH mahomes and Watson to take a safety, right?   someone should send Jeff Gillooley to Florham park on the day of the draft to knee-cap Mike Maccaggnan before he takes another non-impact player.  

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, but why throw $30 million a year and $70+ million guaranteed at Cousins when you have your pick of any of the QB’s in what is considered the best QB class in recent memory?

Cousins is more of a sure thing than any drafted QB. Does that franchise want to risk missing on another QB.  But I hear ya. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Loved him enough to pay him $42 and offer $53 million more in garauntees last year.

Loved him enough to trade for a guy 4 years older than him and then let some other team (likely) make him the highest paid QB in the league. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Correct, they basically never hit the market . . . What does that tell you?

Something tells me we have different opinions of what Cousins' "stature" is. 

what dont you like about him? is it his late game ability? statistically speaking he is a beast, QBR over 93 every year...27 TD's, 13 INT's, for a team which basically fell apart mid way through the year.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Calling it now..  5 year 140 Mil contract with 62 Mil guaranteed..  Average of 28 Mil a year.  Makes him the highest paid QB in the league which will last for about a year until a bunch of other QB's get their pay days.

Get it done.

the minute Talib gets cut you'll know Elway has a deal in place with Cousins before the start of FA.  

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

you do realize that this team passed on BOTH mahomes and Watson to take a safety, right?   someone should send Jeff Gillooley to Florham park on the day of the draft to knee-cap Mike Maccaggnan before he takes another non-impact player.  

Not happening this year. Either we are going to sign a veteran the fanbase can live with or we are drafting a QB in the first round. Mac knows the jig is up if he doesn't get a quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

1/30/18, 10:24 PM

Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the four-year extension with approximately $70 million in guaranteed money on the agreement between the two sides, per @mortreport. There is no official contract or paperwork so agreement in principle right now.

Holy sh*t this is an idiotic deal for the Redskins.  I can't wait to see what kind of haul they gave up just for the honor to give Smith this contract.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Get it done.

Works for me!

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What?  Jets don't have their pick of any QB.  

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

what dont you like about him? is it his late game ability? statistically speaking he is a beast, QBR over 93 every year...27 TD's, 13 INT's, for a team which basically fell apart mid way through the year.

I've never been impressed with him when I've seen him play. He's a meh player to me. He's played in a QB friendly offense and compiled some nice stats, but he's physically meh and I get the impression Jay Gruden doesn't love him. 

That game that always sticks out to me is the Giants game at the end of the 2016 season. Had a chance to clinch the division at home against a team that had nothing to play for - played like crap. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Loved him enough to trade for a guy 4 years older than him and then let some other team (likely) make him the highest paid QB in the league. 

Also to offer $95 million in a 5 year span via the two tags and the garaunteed money in the the rumored extension offer.

Archived