Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dunno about Solder but i love Hernandez in the second. 

Would you trade down a few slots and pick up McGlinchey along with a pick or two?

They may end up having to do that if both Barkley and Chubb are gone by 6

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this on the Redskins board:

On the agreement in principle. Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the extension and $70 million in guarantees. Nobody will be able to review that contract for awhile because officially there is no contract.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

he would be a complete idiot to go to Cleveland, they have won 1 game in 2 years

I agree but only because Kirk will be looking at the success of each roster. NY and Denver probably do have the best shot....but I think what Kirk said about NY Media was a little telling...he may wind up finding Denver as the better place to life and better winning situation.

Just now, Mogglez said:

If what I have heard is true, it will come down to us and Denver.  Minnesota is, in fact, a dark horse but they would prefer to pay their own, roll with Teddy, and go from there.

if its $$ Denver cant hand with us. look at the numbers, they would have to lose Talib, CJA, and a bunch of quality defenders to make even remotely enough cap.

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

it blows my mind that with our track record of drafting and developing QB's anyone would want to draft a QB over signing one that someone already developed. its like we are watching 2 different teams.

This is a faulty argument. The solution isn't to forgo drafting and developing QBs (This is always the best approach long term, if done correctly). The solution is to get better at drafting and developing QBs 

Just now, k-met57 said:

if its $$ Denver cant hand with us. look at the numbers, they would have to lose Talib, CJA, and a bunch of quality defenders to make even remotely enough cap.

Agreed.  The moves both teams can and, in Denver's case, need to make will go a long way in deciding what happens.

Makes more sense for Denver to take a qb at 5 and sign a guy like McCown

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We'll see. I'm not a Cousins guy and I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a lot of you guys think he is. Washington's stance on him is very telling to me.

How many teams have ever let a stud QB even get to free agency, let alone actually sign with another team, without major injury concerns? Think about it. They obviously don't think he's all that.

Now, you wanna blame it all on Washington's incompetence? Meh, ok. That's your prerogative. Personally, I think there's more to it than that. As I wrote earlier somewhere on this message board, when they asked Jay Gruden at his end of season press conference about Cousins, his face told me all that I needed to know . . . 

Only time it ever happened was the Chargers letting Brees go, and then only because they were locked in to draft Eli, Rivers or Rothlisberger. So not really comparable; it's unprecedented. Either the Skins are idiots or have seen enough of Cousins that even after franchising him twice they'll roll the dice with a game manager in Smith. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is a faulty argument. The solution isn't to forgo drafting and developing QBs (This is always the best approach long term, if done correctly). The solution is to get better at drafting and developing QBs 

yes but you are looking at it organizationally which is faulty in itself, look at it as a fan...and reconsider your position. we didnt fire bowles, we arent getting better at drafting or developing QB's...this solution has the least barrier to playoff entry.

Just now, Bugg said:

Only time it ever happened was the Chargers letting Brees go, and then only because they were locked in to draft Eli, Rivers or Rothlisberger. So not really comparable; it's unprecedented. Either the Skins are idiots or have seen enough of Cousins that even after franchising him twice they'll roll the dice with a game manager in Smith. 

And guess what? The Brees example doesn't even entirely work. Why not? Because he was coming off of a major injury (If you recall, Miami's team doctors wanted no part of him, for example). 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, big money, but short term. Not a major commitment. Commitment is in the years. 

A major commitment would be making him the highest paid QB in the league over 5 years - something that one team will be doing in a matter of months . . . and half of this board wants that team to be us. 

$42 million over two years is what most people would describe as a serious commitment in today’s NFL. Redskins made their bed when they chose RG3 over a better QB because there was money to be made off both. 

yes but you are looking at it organizationally which is faulty in itself, look at it as a fan...and reconsider your position. we didnt fire bowles, we arent getting better at drafting or developing QB's...this solution has the least barrier to playoff entry.

We aren't going to be worth a **** until we get better at that stuff. The short-term quick-fix is what this organization always goes for and it never works out in the end. I'd really like to see us do it the right way this time. No overpaying for above average quarterbacks.

Go find (and develop) a guy who has the potential to be very good to great for a long time. And if fail? Try again and draft your next guy. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

$42 million over two years is what most people would describe as a serious commitment in today’s NFL. 

Compared to the contract he's about to get? Small potatoes. 

Again, if they were committed to him, they would be negotiating a 4-5 year deal with him instead of a guy who is 4 years older than him. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

We aren't going to be worth a **** until we get better at that stuff. The short-term quick-fix is what this organization always goes for and it never works out in the end. I'd really like to see us do it the right way this time. No overpaying for above average quarterbacks.

Go find (and develop) a guy who has the potential to be very good to great for a long time. And if fail? Try again and draft your next guy. 

Except this would not be a short term quick fix

Just now, slimjasi said:

i just cant agree. look at what Minnesota just did and almost make it to the SB. If we have a top 15 QB plus young stud D, plus the 6th pick plus 2 second rounders...we could be set up to be competetive right now.

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

And they're gonna overpay  Kirk Cousins for too many years and draft tweener Minka rather than simply pick a real young star QB. AGAIN. 

Only hope is John Elway LOVES Kirk Cousins more than he likes one of the QBs. Don;t see that happening. 

they are going to take minka regardless.   might as well get Cousins, a known guy, rather than wasting another 2nd rd pick on geno hackenclemens.  

Archived