Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, sorry, I don't buy that. As I wrote above, teams don't let stud QBs even get to free agency, let alone actually sign with another team, without injury concerns. You can explain it away with Redskin incompetence. That's a fair assessment. 

My take is that they know him better than anyone else in the league and they don't love him . . . and I happen to think they are right. 

Yet they seemingly love 34 year old gamemanager supreme Alex Smith...

Yeah, I’ll chalk this one up to incompetence.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

This is wild. It’s Jets, Browns and Broncos ..three man race come March.

Arizona doesn’t have them cap space with only 10 million.

Add MIN.  And could BUF possibly jump in?  They don't have as much cap but they might be able to free more up.

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

So wait......can the skins still franchise tage cousins and try to trade him? That would be bush league. 

how does that work?

Theoretically they still can but they’d have to cut or restructure a bunch of players because they just took on Smith’s contract

So great we will get to see Macc negotiate himself again this year for Cousins, while plenty of teams will want him only the Jets are going to give him 5-10 million more then he is actually worth, 20 million per over 5 years is about right for Cousins the Jets will give him 30 over 5 SMH.  They better get Lauletta in Round 2!  7-9 here we come again woohoo.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Yet they seemingly love 34 year old gamemanager supreme Alex Smith...

Yeah, I’ll chalk this one up to incompetence.

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it would be that they love said game manager (he's 33, btw) MORE than they love the immortal captain Kirk. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, sorry, I don't buy that. As I wrote above, teams don't let stud QBs even get to free agency, let alone actually sign with another team without injury concerns. You can explain it away with Redskin incompetence. That's a fair assessment. 

My take is that they know him better than anyone else in the league and they don't love him . . . and I happen to think they are right. 

they paid cousins $45M in the last 2 seasons.  I'd say that qualifies as a major commitment.  

and yes, the incompetence led to this mess.  the franchise tag made a negotiation almost impossible - they should have let him hit FA last year with the transition tag and let the market set the price rather than the value of the tag. 

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jets passed on two guys good enough to start for Andy Reid and Bill Obrien to draft a safety and start Josh Mccown.

And they're gonna overpay  Kirk Cousins for too many years and draft tweener Minka rather than simply pick a real young star QB. AGAIN. 

Only hope is John Elway LOVES Kirk Cousins more than he likes one of the QBs. Don;t see that happening. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is wild. It’s Jets, Browns and Broncos ..three man race come March.

Arizona doesn’t have them cap space with only 10 million.

he would be a complete idiot to go to Cleveland, they have won 1 game in 2 years

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And if we dont get him, it opens up a Qb draft spot. Jets are in a pretty good position to get somebody

Exactly. Both Denver and Cleveland are ahead of us in the draft, too .. so either one getting him works in our benefit in the case where we don’t get him, ourselves.

Just now, slimjasi said:

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it would be that they love said game manager (he's 33, btw) MORE than they love the immortal captain Kirk. 

This is a Snyder move.  He falls in love with certain players and overpays like crazy

Just now, Lupz27 said:

So great we will get to see Macc negotiate himself again this year for Cousins, while plenty of teams will want him only the Jets are going to give him 5-10 million more then he is actually worth, 20 million per over 5 years is about right for Cousins the Jets will give him 30 over 5 SMH.  They better get Lauletta in Round 2!  7-9 here we come again woohoo.

What makes you say this? Wha are you talking about? How can he bid against himself when there are other teams?

Just now, Bugg said:

And they're gonna overpay  Kirk Cousins for too many years and draft tweener Minka rather than simply pick a real young star QB. AGAIN. 

Only hope is John Elway LOVES Kirk Cousins more than he likes one of the QBs. Don;t see that happening. 

it blows my mind that with our track record of drafting and developing QB's anyone would want to draft a QB over signing one that someone already developed. its like we are watching 2 different teams.

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

they paid cousins $45M in the last 2 seasons.  I'd say that qualifies as a major commitment.  

Nah, big money, but short term. Not a major commitment. Commitment is in the years. 

A major commitment would be making him the highest paid QB in the league over 5 years - something that one team will be doing in a matter of months . . . and half of this board wants that team to be us. 

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

he would be a complete idiot to go to Cleveland, they have won 1 game in 2 years

If what I have heard is true, it will come down to us and Denver.  Minnesota is, in fact, a dark horse but they would prefer to pay their own, roll with Teddy, and go from there.

Archived