Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Cousins will be free now. I think now the Skins may be trading up to get into position to grab their QB of the future too. The Jets are not only going to have competition for Cousins but now another team will also be looking to get into the top 5 to nab one of those young guys. If Indy trades their pick they will get a kings ransom for it. If the Jets don't sign Cousins the competition will be fierce to move up. This is going to be a wild off-season in the FA market and trade market as well. I think there will be a flurry of trades now and all bets are off. The Giants and Browns picks may be in play now more so than ever. Wouldn't it be wild if the 2,3, and 4 picks change hands? It could happen. This is not going to be boring I can tell you that.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows how Dan Snyder’s silly ass brain works?

This is the same dumb dickhole who gave a $100 million deal to a fat, notoriously lazy interior DL like Haynesworth when that kind of money was unheard of for any position besides QB...but he won’t commit to a guy who has thrown for over 4,000 yards, 25+ TD’s and completed 67% of his passes over the last 3 years.

We'll see. I'm not a Cousins guy and I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a lot of you guys think he is. Washington's stance on him is very telling to me.

How many teams have ever let a stud QB even get to free agency, let alone actually sign with another team, without major injury concerns? Think about it. They obviously don't think he's all that.

Now, you wanna blame it all on Washington's incompetence? Meh, ok. That's your prerogative. Personally, I think there's more to it than that. As I wrote earlier somewhere on this message board, when they asked Jay Gruden at his end of season press conference about Cousins, his face told me all that I needed to know . . . 

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Yes and if he's looking for money then we'll win but if he wants Elway I could see him taking a lower deal with the Broncos so that's where my concern comes in.

After the senior bowl I’m pretty sure Elway is going to want Allen

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I wonder what they gave up, I mean at least their not going year to year which is a huge distraction but Redskins fans have to be pissed.

Redskins fans are gonna be piissed their local sports radio will be good tomorrow 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Yes and if he's looking for money then we'll win but if he wants Elway I could see him taking a lower deal with the Broncos so that's where my concern comes in. 

Vikings are also likely to be in play.  All 3 of their QBs are FA.  They have plenty of cap space and are ready to win now.  Not a bad landing spot if you are Kirk.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Vikings are the team that scares me.  Over $50MM cap space and ready to win now.

Not sure why people mention Cardinals, looks like they barely have any cap space to do any kind of move let alone a big move like Cousins. 

Just now, Lith said:

Vikings are also likely to be in play.  All 3 of their QBs are FA.  They have plenty of cap space and are ready to win now.  Not a bad landing spot if you are Kirk.

Yea I agree that would be a hot spot for him to land. I wonder how Vikings fans feel because I get the sense they still want Teddy to be their guy.

Just now, The Crusher said:

Happens every time someone signs top free agent nowadays . Cept Brady. TB12 works!

I’m not a crazy Cousins ballwasher like most of the people here but he is way better than most of the crap we’ve been forced to watch at qb the past 40 years

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We'll see. I'm not a Cousins guy and I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a lot of you guys think he is. Washington's stance on him is very telling to me.

How many teams have ever let a stud QB get to free agency, let alone go to another team, without major injury concerns? Think about it. They obviously don't think he's all that.

Now, you wanna blame it all on Washington's incompetence? Meh, ok. That's your prerogative. Personally, I think there's more to it than that. As I wrote earlier somewhere on this message board, when they asked Jay Gruden at his end of season press conference about Cousins, his face told me all that I needed to know . . . 

Scot McCloughan says he 'doesn't see special' in Kirk Cousins

McCloughan was appearing on 104.3 The Fan in Denver.

Kirk Cousins' future is the hottest topic in Washington this offseason, but Scot McCloughan has some ideas of his own about the soon-to-be free agent quarterback.

The former Redskins general manager made an appearance on 104.3 The Fan in Denver on Friday, and naturally was asked what his opinion of Cousins, with the Broncos listed amongst the teams that could make a run at the quarterback this offseason. The Browns, Jets and Cardinals have also been linked with a move for the former fourth-round pick.

It's the Redskins who will have first dibs on re-signing Cousins though, and McCloughan's comments will do nothing to satisfy either side of the debate on whether or not he's worth the effort.

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey per the Washington Post. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Redskins offensive coordinator-turned-Los Angeles Rams Coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building, he’s always watching tape, he’s always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

Redskins fans have been split on whether or not the team should offer Cousins the massive contract necessary to keep him in Washington, and McCloughan did little to change anyone's mind. While on one hand claims the 29-year-old isn't special, on the other he intimates that he could eventually get there. Of course, much of that depends on what players the Redskins add around him, with help at running back and wide receiver desperately needed if he's to realize his full potential.

Cousins himself has been public about his feelings on the Redskins, claiming it's a privilege to play for the franchise and openly commenting on his desire to remain there. It's far from a guarantee though, and McCloughan is confident the former Michigan State star knows what awaits him should he test the market.

“I can promise you this,” McCloughan said via 104.3 The Fan and the Washington Post. “He has done his homework, probably too much, about each roster, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his O-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run. I promise you he has notebook after notebook for each team. He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. I know that. Personally, knowing him, it’s not about the money. It’s about the right fit, where he knows he has stability, he has good coaches, he has good players and he has a chance to be successful. I don’t blame him. He’s put himself in that situation with what he’s done the last three years.”

Having previously admitted to attempting a long-term deal with Cousins, McCloughan is still wary of how much money he would command should the Redskins opt to use an unprecedented third-straight franchise tag. In fact, he warns about the affect it could have on the rest of the locker room should they go that route.

“The thing about it is, when I was there, we tried to get a long-term deal done and were unable to do it,” McCloughan said. “He’s respected in the building, he’s a really good football player, he’s a leader, he’s a smart guy, he does everything right, but he has all the leverage now. . . . If they tag him for a third time, that’s $34 million for one season. It’s good if you’ve got a guy that you know can win a world championship for you, but it affects the other guys, teammates, because of contracts. You’re investing so much money in one position, you’re going to lose some good players, some good young players, and that, from a GM standpoint, that’s how you have to look at it. You’d love to have him. I’m sure they’d love to have him back for another year. He’s had three solid seasons in a row, but it’s a huge investment, and it’s going to affect the team.”

Archived