FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is kinda entertaining reading everyone’s takes on this free agency period.  Who did they think the Jets were going to sign?  The better offensive talent was never coming here given the roster, Cousins was never coming here given the roster, as long as Maccagnan didn’t hand out any long term deals to guys in their 30s, that was all to be expected.  At the end of the day this is free agency and should never be the primary way you build your roster.  If anything it just shows how important drafting your talent is and spotlights how bad Mac has been doing so.  

This is Macs best and last chance to get his QB.  It can’t be a 3 year project, can’t be a guy they declare will not see a snap in year one but a guy who is expected to be their undisputed QB1 in year 2.  If he fails to do so it will be a miserable failure especially given the options this year.  This whole offseason comes down to this draft, the rest of this free agency stuff is entertainment until then.  No need to get all worked up until the end of April, then the pitchforks and torches and billboards can come out.  

59 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Seriously, STFU. Two guys who had gruesome injuries and you’re practically sitting there cracking jokes about them. Have a little bit of class or simply keep your inappropriate thoughts to yourself. You want to bash the team for making stupid moves, that’s fine, but don’t start joking about injuries. 

seriously no  blah blah blah

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

It is kinda entertaining reading everyone’s takes on this free agency period.  Who did they think the Jets were going to sign?  The better offensive talent was never coming here given the roster, Cousins was never coming here given the roster, as long as Maccagnan didn’t hand out any long term deals to guys in their 30s, that was all to be expected.  At the end of the day this is free agency and should never be the primary way you build your roster.  If anything it just shows how important drafting your talent is and spotlights how bad Mac has been doing so.  

This is Macs best and last chance to get his QB.  It can’t be a 3 year project, can’t be a guy they declare will not see a snap in year one but a guy who is expected to be their undisputed QB1 in year 2.  If he fails to do so it will be a miserable failure especially given the options this year.  This whole offseason comes down to this draft, the rest of this free agency stuff is entertainment until then.  No need to get all worked up until the end of April, then the pitchforks and torches and billboards can come out.  

Hated how it started off and the news of McCown being the starter made me lose it but as of now, I like the approach we've taken. These guys aren't aging vets looking for one last hurrah. They're as young as you're gonna get for FA and filling big needs. It all means nothing though if they don't get their guy at QB in the draft.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. I’m not too keen on cutting either James Carpenter or Brian Winters because I think they’re both solid players who got dragged down by an awful center. Add Long as the adequate filler, then draft the upside of Daniels or Price. If the draft pick blows you away, make Long your swing guy.

I like Carpenter but I think he's a goner.

Jets will be running more ZBS with Bates/Dennison. Carpenter excelled early here being part of more of a power scheme. Was a worse fit doing more ZBS stuff in Seattle I believe - he even said something about being hyped to be in more of a power scheme when he came over. And he fell off a little last year and would represent $4.7m in savings.

Not sure if the Jets do something like Pugh during FA and get rid of Carpenter or wait until the draft to see if something falls their way at any interior OL position since they can put Long at either spot. But I can't see Carpenter sticking.

Pugh makes sense too because he could play either guard or right tackle and they can mix and match a little to see what the best line is if they grab him. I think having tackle mobility at guard is a good fit for the new scheme too.

Winters represents no savings so I think he sticks.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

I won't be waiting for you to admit you were wrong. 

2. Look I don't know, I didn't see you posting yesterday. I live in Asia. I don't sit in on Macc's meetings. Attacking me for repeating something I read reeks of... well, it just reeks. But hey if it makes you feel good, have at. 

You won't see me admit anything of the sort because I literally haven't heard anything of the sort.  We didn't offer anything "more to A-Rob".  We didn't even get that far into negotiations with him because, quite frankly, we don't need him as bad as Chicago.  On top of that, he grew up a Cubs and Bears fan, and they had more than enough money to match whatever we would want to offer.

We most certainly weren't in on Norwell.  Like, at all.

Cousins?  Yeah?  We offered more cash. Around 32 million per. for 4-5 years.  He turned it down to play in Minnesota.

I'm not attacking you, the poster, I'm attacking the rant that came out of absolutely nowhere with zero evidence.  I was halfway off a cliff yesterday too, but this was not the reason why.  I have no issue slamming Maccagnan, but I'll do it with reason.  Not nonsense.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Hated how it started off and the news of McCown being the starter made me lose it but as of now, I like the approach we've taken. These guys aren't aging vets looking for one last hurrah. They're as young as you're gonna get for FA and filling big needs. It all means nothing though if they don't get their guy at QB in the draft.

Exactly, and not for nothing this whole McCown being the starter thing is classic free agency rumors.  It’s was tweeted out by one random dude and re-tweeted as fact by everyone else.  It’s all about the draft, always is.  

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You won't see me admit anything of the sort because I literally haven't heard anything of the sort.  We didn't offer anything "more to A-Rob".  We didn't even get that far into negotiations with him because, quite frankly, we don't need him as bad as Chicago.  On top of that, he grew up a Cubs and Bears fan, and they had more than enough money to match whatever we would want to offer.

We most certainly weren't in on Norwell.  Like, at all.

Cousins?  Yeah?  We offered more cash. Around 32 million per. for 4-5 years.  He turned it down to play in Minnesota.

I'm not attacking you, the poster, I'm attacking the rant that came out of absolutely nowhere with zero evidence.  I was halfway off a cliff yesterday too, but this was not the reason why.  I have no issue slamming Maccagnan, but I'll do it with reason.  Not nonsense.

Plenty of evidence. We just weigh it differently. Which is fine. 

12 minutes ago, dcJet said:

@Mogglez  Do you know what our offer to Cousins was?  You said it would be "creative".

Maybe one day I'll get into the deep structure on it.  Today is not that day for reasons.

Avg. of 30-32 mil per year, 4-5 years in length. 90-110 gauranteed.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

It is what it is.  We wanted him and we got him.  Can't penny pinch too much on some of these guys.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an out 2-3 years in there and it's front loaded.  Gotta wait until the full details come out.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Maybe one day I'll get into the deep structure on it.  Today is not that day for reasons.

That wasn't gonna get it done.  Mac doesn't crazy overpay.  That's why no Arob or Sammy or Cousins.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Wow...so substantially more (compared to $28MM/year).  He really wanted to go to MIN.  Can't blame him.  But forgive me for not wishing them good luck up there.  

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

That wasn't gonna get it done.  Mac doesn't crazy overpay.  That's why no Arob or Sammy or Cousins.

It’s also because those guys didn’t want to come here if there were other options. Why would they come here over the teams they went to? 

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Nah, that's not why no A Rob or Sammy, but definitely why no Cousins.  Quite frankly, that was more than enough as an offer.  Maccagnan did what he should have.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wow...so substantially more (compared to $28MM/year).  He really wanted to go to MIN.  Can't blame him.  But forgive me for not wishing them good luck up there.  

If you can get a "RING" you have to go for it. Was watching A Football Life on Dan Marino. One of the All Time greats.... had 1 shot at a ring, failed against SF, and never had another shot. Leaving $10 mil on the table is a lot of cash..... but once you are a SB Champ and potential HOF player, you can make back that $10m in endorsements and autographs and commentator gig.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yup. It is what it is.  He's been eyeing them since the Super Bowl.  Just wasn't always sure that they were gonna jump in it.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Don't forget, pretty sure Cousins really wanted a 3 year deal.  So he could be a free agent again for the first year of the new CBA.

Don't think the Jets offered a 3 year deal.  That's a pretty big deal.  

So assuming Cousins just turned down more money here for less money in Minnesota isn't quite the full story.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This is what I had info of it being as well a month ago. We were offering 5/180 90 GTD in first 3 years, 100 GTD total

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you can get a "RING" you have to go for it. Was watching A Football Life on Dan Marino. One of the All Time greats.... had 1 shot at a ring, failed against SF, and never had another shot. Leaving $10 mil on the table is a lot of cash..... but once you are a SB Champ and potential HOF player, you can make back that $10m in endorsements and autographs and commentator gig.

Faster chance to win probably played a role, more stable organization, but also possible Cousin's liked 3 years fully guaranteed.  Gives him another opportunity for a big check.  He's 2 years older with the Jets deal before he gets that shot.  Maybe he didn't hate the franchise tag model as bad as was made out to be.

Just now, prime21 said:

Any chance Demario gets resigned?  Could it work out with him and Williamson?

They're both 2 down ILB who excel against the run. Davis failed with the Jets the first time due to being the cover guy next to Harris. This time around he took Harris spot while Lee was the cover ILB while he blitzed.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

My gawd.  For ******* Trumaine Johnson?

Holy hell

Unlikely he's gonna live up to that contract, but we have enough cash that we're also not gonna get hurt by the deal.  We had some of the worst CB play in the NFL.  It likely won't be the worst anymore.

Archived