FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I have. If the Jets walk away from this draft without Rosen, Darnold, Mayfiled, Allen, or Jackson, I'm going to start rooting for another team because there is no excuse for not getting one of these guys when they have the 6th pick. Either take who is left at 6, or trade up since no one else can offer what the Jets have i.e the 6th pick, which would end up being either Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick.

I'm totally with you.  In fact, I think I have already targeted JAX as my backup team.  

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your mind is a scary place. It presupposes irrational thought to feed its own delusion to fits its own construct. 

Much the way that I read serial killers operate. 

Serial killers typically possess above-average intelligence and are able to sublimate emotion toward more gratifying, practical ends. So, yes.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The thing is neither Gettleman nor Shurmur had anything to do with Webb. I’m sure Shurmur looked at him leading up,to the draft last year, but it’s hard to see how he’d rate compared to Rosen or Darnold.

Davis Webb STINKS.  I would be overjoyed if the giants thought he was their guy.  Webb = hackenburg

Giants and Bills are both going to come out of this draft with legit QBs for the future and the Jets will be having some 2nd round Qb sit on his ass behind mccown and bridgewater so he can run the scout team

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

#Jets source to me "No, that [McCown & Bridgewater] doesn't take us out of the running for a QB at #6 at all, we had to get a talent infusion at the position, we don't have another viable starter on the roster."

Christian pauses a moment to digest the news while cleaning his gun...

Just now, Beerfish said:

Davis Webb STINKS.  I would be overjoyed if the giants thought he was their guy.  Webb = hackenburg

Giants and Bills are both going to come out of this draft with legit QBs for the future and the Jets will be having some 2nd round Qb sit on his ass behind mccown and bridgewater so he can run the scout team

Bills are going to try and trade with the Giants

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Exactly. Bowles has always said he plays the QB "that give him the best chance to win" What if the young guy is that? He's stuck

Yea I don't understand the justification people are using to say the Bowles won't play a young QB. Geno, Petty, and Hack were all worse than Fitz and McCown. If the rookie plays well in preseason he'll start.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Third round. Luke Falk or whatever project that Bates decides he can work with,

22 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed that it now looks like the Browns will go QB with the first pick. But, after the Browns select a QB, how do the Giants NOT take Barkley? And I really question the Giants trading out of the first 7 or 8 picks because the cream of the crop in this draft is the Quarterbacks, Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. This is the Jets great advantage in trading up. If a team above the Jets makes a trade with the Jets, they can still get Barkely, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. If a team picking in the top 5 trades with the Bills, they can say good bye to their shot at one of these guys. I think this makes the Jets a far better trading partner for the Giants, Colts or Browns than the Bills or any other team. I really can not envision the Jets screwing this up. 

You had me until that last sentence. ?

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but I don’t think either Maccagnan nor Bowles have ever wanted any part of drafting a QB at six regardless, even before signing Teddy. Even if only superficially, yesterday’s signings give them the cover they need to go in a different direction. 

The problem is that we won too many games last year.  6 is a no man's land in the draft.  Either we sit put and get the 4th QB taken -- if we are lucky it is a guy we like, or we give up a boatolad of picks to move up, likely including next year's 1.  Bridgewater is a hedge to me if we don't get a guy at 6.  I still think we go QB at 6 if a guy we like is there.

At least it appears as if we are prepared to move on from Hack & Petty.

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know. It feels like a lot of things are pointing to a feeding frenzy for the four QBs. Saw a rumor yesterday that the Giants are responding to Norwell teabagging them by going out and signing Jensen and Solder, which you’d think takes them out of Quentin Nelson territory. Broncos, you’d think, are all in on QBs with Keenum only getting two years there. Then there’s Buffalo clearly aiming for a top five pick. The only team that acted like they wanted no part of drafting a QB yesterday was the Jets.

I am, generally, not a fan of how smug and arrogant Allbright can be, but he's been on absolute fire this off-season with his sources.

Just now, freestater said:

You had me until that last sentence. ?

C'mon! We've got the mother ******* 6th pick! If a team in the top 5 trades with the Jets, they can still get Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. Cream of the crop players. Why would you seek a trade with the Bills for the 12th pick when you can get the 6th pick from the Jets? 

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I don’t love the Spencer Long signing. I know Jensen was only a 1 year starter but is there really no market for him? I feel like he’s the much better prospect

Hopefully we get a guy in the draft.  There are some solid Cs that should be around in R2: Price, Daniles, Ragnow, Clapp.  Not sure what is up with Jensen, but at least we have a C on the roster that is better than Wesley Johnson.

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

C'mon! We've got the mother ******* 6th pick! If a team in the top 5 trades with the Jets, they can still get Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. Cream of the crop players. Why would you seek a trade with the Bills for the 12th pick when you can get the 6th pick from the Jets? 

While being an optimist, I agree. Never say the Jets can't screw it up

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I am, generally, not a fan of how smug and arrogant Albright can be, but he's been on absolute fire this off-season with his sources.

I have discovered a new respect for Albright this offseason.  He has been dead on with a lot of his comments / tweets.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hopefully we get a guy in the draft.  There are some solid Cs that should be around in R2: Price, Daniles, Ragnow, Clapp.  Not sure what is up with Jensen, but at least we have a C on the roster that is better than Wesley Johnson.

There are concerns (that I don't necessarily agree with) that Jensen is a 1 year wonder and a bad fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme.

I wanted either one so I'm not upset.  Draft a future kid too and I'm more than happy.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I have discovered a new respect for Albright this offseason.  He has been dead on with a lot of his comments / tweets.

Me too.  More recently too.  He's even had guys like Rap and Schefter credit him with stuff he nailed weeks prior and shout him out.  

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

The problem is that we won too many games last year.  6 is a no man's land in the draft.  Either we sit put and get the 4th QB taken -- if we are lucky it is a guy we like, or we give up a boatolad of picks to move up, likely including next year's 1.  Bridgewater is a hedge to me if we don't get a guy at 6.  I still think we go QB at 6 if a guy we like is there.

At least it appears as if we are prepared to move on from Hack & Petty.

+1 Objectively speaking, I think they did good things at QB yesterday because it gives them flexibility. As you said, six is a bad spot because it puts them in range to *have to* draft whatever QB falls, and that’s just not the way you should pick your QBs. At the same time, it’s wicked expensive to go up and get the guy you might want. So, absolutely, cover your ass with Teddy and McCown in the likely event their guy goes ahead of their pick.

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

All depends on what a potential trading partner is looking for.  Do you want one of Miinkay/Chubb/Nelson (assuming Barkley will be gone), then you trade with us.  Or does a team trade back with Buffalo and come away with McGlinchey and Guice for example -- or any other pair of solid mid 1st guys.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1 Objectively speaking, I think they did good things at QB yesterday because it gives them flexibility. As you said, six is a bad spot because it puts them in range to *have to* draft whatever QB falls, and that’s just not the way you should pick your QBs. At the same time, it’s wicked expensive to go up and get the guy you might want. So, absolutely, cover your ass with Teddy and McCown in the likely event their guy goes ahead of their pick.

My worst offseason nightmare is that we trade up to 3 or 4, giving up next year's 1 in the process.  Teddy's knee doesn't hold up, McCown becomes the guy he was before last season, and our rookie QB is not ready or just not the player we thought he would be.  We finish 2-14 and Cle or Indy use our #1 overall pick next year.  It could still happen, but seems a bit less likely today than at this time yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I am, generally, not a fan of how smug and arrogant Allbright can be, but he's been on absolute fire this off-season with his sources.

Agreed. Whoever Allbright talks to with the Broncos has been a really good source for him, and he gets news that pisses off even long-time Broncos beat guys, which is always funny. That said, the quote from the Jets source there is pretty generic. Of course it doesn’t preclude them from drafting a QB in the same way that signing Trumaine Johnson doesn’t preclude them from drafting a corner.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are concerns (that I don't necessarily agree with) that Jensen is a 1 year wonder and is a bad fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme.

I wanted either one so I'm not upset.  Draft a future kid too and I'm more than happy.

My comment about Jensen was more -- not sure what is happening with him in the FA market.  Maybe he told us that he is not interested and we moved on to the next option.  .

Just happy that we now have a C under contract.  And his name is not Wesley Johnson

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Marvin Lewis is only NFL coach I've seen here. John Elway's here, so is Jets GM Mike Maccagnan. Only front office guy for Browns I've seen is Alonzo Highsmith.

OKLAHOMA PRO DAY

Probably the dumbest possible day to host a pro day! 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

My worst offseason nightmare is that we trade up to 3 or 4, giving up next year's 1 in the process.  Teddy's knee doesn't hold up, McCown becomes the guy he was before last season, and our rookie QB is not ready or just not the player we thought he would be.  We finish 2-14 and Cle or Indy use our #1 overall pick next year.  It could still happen, but seems a bit less likely today than at this time yesterday.

I’m with you. Selfishly speaking, I want them to preserve resources for next season in the event that Bowles and/or Macc are fired and we’re in a position of having to sell the GM/HC job/s to a group of candidates. I’d think the package of having a bunch of cap space, the first overall pick, and a blank slate at QB is a lot more appealing than no first rounder and a massive investment into an exposed Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

Archived