FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wasn't McCown on his way to a top 7 passer last year before injury - pacing at 4,000 yards?

Probably not and I don't understand the relevance - though it's interesting and in hindsight obvious that the Jets getting good performance from a QB has a negative spin. Even if true, McCown is almost literally a decade older and has never finished a season. How are these two even remotely comparable talents anywhere but here? 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

So what I should expect, don't even know why I'm asking, is that even when the Jets land Cousins and the consensus is wrong for like the 5th time already this offseason, JN will still find an angle to be miserable on? Even though the whole narrative has been about how all these forever winners want to pay him as much as they can to win and he's too good to come here - most will work really hard to sell the idea that this guy is mediocre? I already expect the least objective hot takes of the salary possibl, but that's going to come from everywhere as folks flock to protect the owners' money..

I have always believed he was coming here - because I always beleived we were prepared and positioned to pay him the most money.  

To your point - people will call Mac an idiot for overpaying him - that he really wanted to go to Denverr and MN. but the Jets offer was so ridiculousy over priced.  Our fans will find a way to blame whatever we do on Mac and the organization as a whole.

I don't want the guy as I think the opportunity cost of missing out on one of the top 4 in this draft is simply too big.  I want to start over and build a team from the ground up. not bring in a slightly above average free agent to simply make the team respectible.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I have always believed he was coming here - because I always beleived we were prepared and positioned to pay him the most money.  

To your point - people will call Mac an idiot for overpaying him - that he really wanted to go to Denverr and MN. but the Jets offer was so ridiculousy over priced.  Our fans will find a way to blame whatever we do on Mac and the organization as a whole.

I don't want the guy as I think the opportunity cost of missing out on one of the top 4 in this draft is simply too big.  I want to start over and build a team from the ground up. not bring in a slightly above average free agent to simply make the team respectible.

All anyone has to remember is that these idiots think everyone is overpaid all the time except for the #jobcreators at the top. 

It's becomes more hilariously bad when whoever takes the three seconds to think it through realizes the gap between the Jets, Broncos, Vikings and so on will be spread out over years. My guess? That sentence is grounds to talk about how he should pass on the money lol...I love it. It's transparently backwards thinking and nooooobody gives a ****.

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Probably not and I don't understand the relevance - though it's interesting and in hindsight obvious that the Jets getting good performance from a QB has a negative spin. Even if true, McCown is almost literally a decade older and has never finished a season. How are these two even remotely comparable talents anywhere but here? 

It's relevant because people are using his numbers as the reason we should give him $150mm - and make him our franchise QB.  The point is - 38 year old never-has-beens (Jet or not) can put up big numbers in today's NFL.  4,000 yards is no longer a big deal.

When I point to Cousins wins and losses - I'm told they don't matter - because he throws for a lot of yards.  I'm just making the point that a lot of guys can throw for a lot of yards...doesn't make them franchise QB worthy. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He finished behind McCown in both QBR and QB Rating last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/passing.htm

Also, I know this is really hard to believe but the Jets literally had more talent on offense( healthier) than the Redskins did. Reed was injured all year, ASJ had a mini resurgence, Kearse was a stud & had one of the lowest drop rates in the NFL, Pryor was highest drop rate, Anderson had a breakout season & got better and added to his route tree as the year progressed, Dotson was meh, Crowder? Grant? 

Its actually amazing but true, but because of injuries McCown was working with more offensive talent than Cousins in 2017.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Give Kirk $50 mil per to own the capitalists 

For the gazillionth time - money doesn't matter! The one factor he's looking at is who made the playoffs last year to establish themselves as permanent league superpowers.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Also, I know this is really hard to believe but the Jets literally had more talent on offense( healthier) than the Redskins did. Reed was injured all year, ASJ had a mini resurgence, Kearse was a stud & had one of the lowest drop rates in the NFL, Pryor was highest drop rate, Anderson had a breakout season & got better and added to his route tree as the year progressed, Dotson was meh, Crowder? Grant? 

Its actually amazing but true, but because of injuries McCown was working with more offensive talent than Cousins in 2017.

I think it's funny - Jet fans love to say how we have the least talent in the league - just the worst.  Until it suits the needs for something else - then we have superior talent. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's funny - Jet fans love to say how we have the least talent in the league - just the worst.  Until it suits the needs for something else - then we have superior talent. 

Aren't we discussing Kirk Cousins & the Redskins? We weren't talking about the Saints, we were talking about the numbers that Kirk put up with the Skins in 2017. The NY Jets had better & healthier offensive players that played better than the Skins players...FACT. We still had our 3rd string RB while the Redskins were on their 4th.

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Kirk isn’t coming here he going to Minnesota. But it’s gonna be funny watching fans bash Macc for not getting him . 

I'm sure if he doesn't you'll remind us that you were THE ONE that knew he wasn't coming here. You'll slap yourself on the back & and proceed to tell us who the Jets are picking in the draft. No ones going to BASH Macc & I read all of these forums & haven't anyone make a claim that if Macc doesn't get Cousins he sucks as a GM. Most fans that want Cousins realize we'll still be in the running for a QB, it's just that we also know what a crapshoot a QB in the draft is. 

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

Not a big fan of Richardson's as a person, and was glad to see him gone for a 2nd, but at $7 M that's a steal and I'd sign him quickly.

8 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Kirk isn’t coming here he going to Minnesota. But it’s gonna be funny watching fans bash Macc for not getting him . 

I honestly think he is coming - And you're going to see those same fans that would have bashed him for not getting him - bash him for paying him too much.  

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm sure if he doesn't you'll remind us that you were THE ONE that knew he wasn't coming here. You'll slap yourself on the back & and proceed to tell us who the Jets are picking in the draft. No ones going to BASH Macc & I read all of these forums & haven't anyone make a claim that if Macc doesn't get Cousins he sucks as a GM. Most fans that want Cousins realize we'll still be in the running for a QB, it's just that we also know what a crapshoot a QB in the draft is. 

There's no way we draft a QB this year if they sign Cousins - zero chance.  

It does, although, allow you the time to prepare for the transition in 5 years - I just don't want to wallow in mediocrity for a half-decade before trying to find a true franchise QB. 

It seems to be plan though and I'll be 100% behind it once it's done.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly think he is coming - And you're going to see those same fans that would have bashed him for not getting him - bash him for paying him too much.  

Some fans won't be happy, I'm not one of them. There aren't even enough stud free agents to spend 90 million on. Front loading Cousins puts us in a great spot capwise again in 2019, and still allows us to sign a Center, CB, maybe Guard, WR, some lower level free agents this year.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's just not true - well not only Mac directly, but certainly the Jets as an organization, talent level, coaching, ownderhsip etc.  Many, many people have stated the reason Cousins won't come here is because the organization is a mess - the leader of that organization is the GM.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It does, although, allow you the time to prepare for the transition in 5 years - I just don't want to wallow in mediocrity for a half-decade before trying to find a true franchise QB. 

I could see them taking a QB later in the draft. A project QB.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You misunderstood my retort. If we don't get Cousins we have an opportunity to draft a QB at 6. Obviously if we sign Cousins we're not drafting another QB unless it was a late round flyer.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Some fans won't be happy, I'm not one of them. There aren't even enough stud free agents to spend 90 million on. Front loading Cousins puts us in a great spot capwise again in 2019, and still allows us to sign a Center, CB, maybe Guard, WR, some lower level free agents this year.

I have no problem paying the guy the money - honestly, that's not the issue, at least for me -

it's the long-term committment to a losing QB and the opportunity cost of passing on someone in the next two or three years.

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not a big fan of Richardson's as a person, and was glad to see him gone for a 2nd, but at $7 M that's a steal and I'd sign him quickly.

Paul Richardson.  Not Sheldon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9545/paul-richardson

Free agent Paul Richardson hinted he was done in a Saturday social media post.
Richardson cryptically tweeted "one thing I do know is I had a ball in Seattle!" This implies Richardson's time in Seattle has likely come to an end. It was only a matter of time since Richardson is looking for $7 million per year on his next deal and the Seahawks reportedly won't pay more than $5.5 million annually to re-sign him. Without Richardson and Jimmy Graham, Seattle will enter free agency with roughly $30 million in cap space and the second-most available air yards from 2017's production. Mar 10 - 5:17 PM

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Paul Richardson.  Not Sheldon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9545/paul-richardson

Free agent Paul Richardson hinted he was done in a Saturday social media post.
Richardson cryptically tweeted "one thing I do know is I had a ball in Seattle!" This implies Richardson's time in Seattle has likely come to an end. It was only a matter of time since Richardson is looking for $7 million per year on his next deal and the Seahawks reportedly won't pay more than $5.5 million annually to re-sign him. Without Richardson and Jimmy Graham, Seattle will enter free agency with roughly $30 million in cap space and the second-most available air yards from 2017's production. Mar 10 - 5:17 PM

LOL Duh, Never mind.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is already a lock.

I think they will still draft a QB with Cousins. Hopefully even at 6.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have no problem paying the guy the money - honestly, that's not the issue, at least for me -

it's the long-term committment to a losing QB and the opportunity cost of passing on someone in the next two or three years.

So, your Macc & Bowles. 2 terrible losing seasons in a row. You've been given a 2 year contract extension. Kirk Cousins is available (definitely a top 10 QB in the league) you can disagree with that claim but no one on the NFL network, media & ex-players disputes that & most believe he's in the 2nd tier of franchise QBs behind Brady, Rogers, but with Stafford, Rivers ect.. You have the resources to sign him WITHOUT killing your salary cap or stifling your ability to still sign 3/4 top free agents.

Or, you take a flyer on a group of rookie QBs who's top 4 are flip flopped in every Mock on the web without any of them being a concensus #1 can't miss, Payton Manning, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton type. Your career is literally on the line, Cousins is a f*cking no brainer to ensure the likelihood Chris Johnson lets it play out for the 5 years of Kirks contract. I agree with others if his agent wants 3 years max? Tell him to go fly a kite & try to get Rosen or Mayfield.

15 minutes ago, Grandy said:

McCown had a better year than him. What kind of improvement are we getting from him exactly? We'll just get a repeat of the last 3 years of mediocre veteran play.

Fun fact: Even if you actually buy this McCown was better nonsense, which sounds about right for JN right now, Cousins and McCown weren't rookies last year. 

Archived