FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

I'm not sure you guys have noticed but a 3 year deal in the NFL often gets written up as a "5" year deal. He's 29 so there's another payday coming anyway whether the deal is 3 or 5 years. The Jets can fully garauntee the first three years for more than everyone else and still offer 5/180 or whatever he's looking for.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the point of the 3 year deal is that he can do this whole thing again, when the cap is increased and guys are making 35M/year.  he'll give minny a 3 year window, then pick the next team that's close that needs a good qb, assuming he's still playing well.  

People though Revis was the player the maximized his earning potential the most in the NFL... Cousins is sure giving that theory a run for the money for sure. 

Just now, Stark said:

People though Revis was the player the maximized his earning potential the most in the NFL... Cousins is sure giving that theory a run for the money for sure. 

It's smart though, I can't blame him. Get another chance for another contract at 32 yrs old with the same team or another.

33 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets have Zero leverage to force a 5 year deal. Right now signing him period seems like long shot as the days go by .. Cousin’s and his agent are in control everything . 

Oh I wasn’t saying we have leverage. I was just saying their offer should be 4 or 5 years and then just move on. 3 years does us no good.

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

It's going to be more than Cousins too, he's just the headline guy this offseason. Read around and the players in this league have been looking at this three year window in FA for a while now. I can't emphasize enough that this is the smartest, brightest, and most aware generation of players the NFL has ever had. Revis was the guy who helped open some eyes but he was just one guy at the time, easy to sh*t on and defame for the owners and their serfs.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The whole reason you throw a season and pare your roster down to ash is so you can get yourself in position to compete for elite players like the Cowboys back-up to the back-up UDFA defensive end.

We're setting up nicely for the 2019 free agent class.....

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The great irony of using this meme is that the dude that Conor originally said it to has gone on an absolutely savage run and is probably one win away from a title shot.

yup, Jeremy Stephens has won his last 3 and 2 by KO. he is going to make his case if he can beat Aldo or Frankie... but I don't think he can beat Ortega or Holloway at this point. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right, yes. Then he gets to set his new contract on the backs of the Aaron Rodgers/Carson Wentz/Jared Goff eventual extensions. But in order to do that he needs to go somewhere and have immediate success, which is why the Jets and Browns have less than zero chance of getting him.

exactly.  this is what his agents cant say.  cousins doesn't want a long deal.  it works out well for him.  he can sell it to everyone that he wants to go to a good team, but really what he's saying is that he can take 2 shots at 3 years each with 2 good teams.  

Like basically everyone, I’m not really familiar with Mayowa, but this FA class for passrushers is dogsh*t with Lawrence and Ansah being franchised.

The top FA passrusher is probably Trent Murphy and he just tore up his knee.

Ealy made a bit of an impact last year in terms of getting his hands on some balls (giggity), but couldn’t consistently get pressure on the QB.

Mayowa seems like more of a speed rusher just based on his size. 

And when guys like Lawrence, Gregory, Irvin, etc were missing time in 2016, Mayowa put up 6 sacks.

I don’t think it would be a terrible, low budget signing. Jets should still draft a passrusher within the first 2 rounds though.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Did you factor in Orleans Darkwa’s extension?

i have a different theory on this.  i think mccagnan may finally realize that he may well have to trade up to get his qb if he wants to keep this job.  so he may actually realize that if he deals those 2nd rounders he won't be able to fill 2 needs, one of which would be rb.  so if he has to go a year by committee with a scrub rb but gets his qb it's ultimately a small price to pay.  but i think his goal is go into the draft with no glaring holes not b/c it will allow him to go BAP but b/c he may give up several picks to get a qb.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i have a different theory on this.  i think mccagnan may finally realize that he may well have to trade up to get his qb if he wants to keep this job.  so he may actually realize that if he deals those 2nd rounders he won't be able to fill 2 needs, one of which would be rb.  so if he has to go a year by committee with a scrub rb but gets his qb it's ultimately a small price to pay.  but i think his goal is go into the draft with no glaring holes not b/c it will allow him to go BAP but b/c he may give up several picks to get a qb.

Pick one Mac!

nextJEtQBcolor.jpg

I would rather us fully guarantee Kirks 5 year deal than give him a 3 year deal. I think we might be able to compete for a Super Bowl in 2019 and 2020 on a 3 year deal but I want a QB for the long run, 3 year deal reeks of I want another big payday and options to choose other teams. 

I hope we walk away from the table if he balks at a 5 year deal. Throw all the chips on the table and get up to number 3 or higher, there is a shot you may have your choice of QB at #3. Browns could go Barkley and Giants could go Nelson. I think it is probably more likely that one takes Barkley so maybe you miss one of the tops QBs.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Or, the team doesn’t currently have 53 NFL-quality players but it has a lot of money to spend, so he’s offering to make a few fringe guys rich for a couple of years. 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I 100% agree with this. As badly as I want to fill Edge and RB with our two 2nds I'd rather get the QB. Now is not the time to try and get value in a trade, I'd love to sit at 6 and take whoever but I don't want to risk Buffalo or Miami making a move to get up to #5 after the Broncos get Keenum.

@T0mShane brought it up before but if the Giants want to make a serious run at a SB and need to dump a massive contract I'd take that on in a heart beat and give up picks to move up. Maybe that contract equates to the value of a 2nd round pick which means we get a player while potentially retaining one of our 2nds.

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I would rather us fully guarantee Kirks 5 year deal than give him a 3 year deal. I think we might be able to compete for a Super Bowl in 2019 and 2020 on a 3 year deal but I want a QB for the long run, 3 year deal reeks of I want another big payday and options to choose other teams. 

I hope we walk away from the table if he balks at a 5 year deal. Throw all the chips on the table and get up to number 3 or higher, there is a shot you may have your choice of QB at #3. Browns could go Barkley and Giants could go Nelson. I think it is probably more likely that one takes Barkley so maybe you miss one of the tops QBs.

I think that's what Kirk and his agent are telling telling teams. It's a 3 year deal and nothing else. You know damn well the Jets will give him whatever he wants even for just 3 years. 

I don't care anymore. Just as long as the Jets don't think they have to start adding aging vets to try and "win now". 

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I think that's what Kirk and his agent are telling telling teams. It's a 3 year deal and nothing else. You know damn well the Jets will give him whatever he wants even for just 3 years. 

I don't care anymore. Just as long as the Jets don't think they have to start adding aging vets to try and "win now". 

If that's their move I pray we walk away, I'm afraid we drop silly money on a 3 year deal because that is what is best for Mac and Bowles financial stability.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I 100% agree with this. As badly as I want to fill Edge and RB with our two 2nds I'd rather get the QB. Now is not the time to try and get value in a trade, I'd love to sit at 6 and take whoever but I don't want to risk Buffalo or Miami making a move to get up to #5 after the Broncos get Keenum.

@T0mShane brought it up before but if the Giants want to make a serious run at a SB and need to dump a massive contract I'd take that on in a heart beat and give up picks to move up. Maybe that contract equates to the value of a 2nd round pick which means we get a player while potentially retaining one of our 2nds.

Jets receive: #2 pick and Olivier Vernon’s 3/$60 mil contract

Giants receive: #6, #49, 2019 second rounder, opening up massive amounts of cap space for Beckham, etc, while staying in position to draft OL, CB, DE, whatever. 

Gold, Jerry.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If that's their move I pray we walk away, I'm afraid we drop silly money on a 3 year deal because that is what is best for Mac and Bowles financial stability.

Hey, maybe it'd force them to build the damn offense in order to keep him to stay after the 3 years. I'm trying to look at the positives here.

7 minutes ago, derp said:

I'd like to hope Darkwa would be intended to be this year's Khiry Robinson. Really don't want them to spend for Lewis.

Do we really need more of these ? Khiry,  washed up forte, Ridley wish would just draft our starting caliber RB.  Stop messing around these type of guys . McGuire is essentially a darkwa caliber of player.  

Giants receive: #6, #49, 2019 second rounder, opening up massive amounts of cap space for Beckham, etc, while staying in position to draft OL, CB, DE, whatever. 

Gold, Jerry.

That would be a coup for us. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gold, Jerry.

The single funniest line in TV history? I'm not even a hardcore Seinfeld fan and it's just a known line. RIP Phil!

I'm into that trade big time. Seems like a coup to be in position for Rosen, Jets seem like the clear winner there.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, the team doesn’t currently have 53 NFL-quality players but it has a lot of money to spend, so he’s offering to make a few fringe guys rich for a couple of years. 

another possibility and it speaks to having to overbid for your own crappy players rather than someone else's crappy players. 

the myth of a lot of cap space is that you can build a team with it.  in truth there are only a handful of players who help you win games and the rest of the players are mostly interchangeable, so guys like landry get traded for a song.  either you can throw for tds, run for tds or sack the quarterback or you suck.  pay the guys who can do these 3 things well, and draft accordingly.  

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

The single funniest line in TV history? I'm not even a hardcore Seinfeld fan and it's just a known line. RIP Phil!

I'm into that trade big time. Seems like a coup to be in position for Rosen, Jets seem like the clear winner there.

The Jets make out if Rosen or whomever they pick is good, but remember the Giants are only making that deal if they don’t think Rosen or whomever are worth the #2 anyway.

The Jets make out if Rosen or whomever they pick is good, but remember the Giants are only making that deal if they don’t think Rosen or whomever are worth the #2 anyway.

I think the Giants want Barkley. Then they can take Falk or Lauletta later on.

It makes a lot of sense for them actually. They make one last attempt to go on a run with Eli before he retires. Meanwhile Davis Webb and a second young QB develop in the background with no pressure to play right away.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I think the Giants want Barkley. Then they can take Falk or Lauletta later on.

It makes a lot of sense for them actually. They make one last attempt to go on a run with Eli before he retires. Meanwhile Davis Webb and a second young QB develop in the background with no pressure to play right away.

I guess they could take Barkley there. I just can’t imagine them staying at two and bypassing all the QBs unless they think Webb is great.

Archived