FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Tavon Austin, Weston Richburg, Demario Davis, Morris Claiborne, Orleans Darkwa, and ASJ being our only signings.

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

WTF with this Orleans Darkwa?  Why do the Jets want to pay for him, does his agent have something on Macc?  Just draft Bo Scarbaugh if you want that kind of RB in the 5th.

No to Tavon and No to Darkwa. Agree with Lupz. Just draft a bigger back later in draft if you just want a bruiser and it’s cheaper. Tavon good lord I talk about overdrafted and not worth it to us. Austin didn’t even do much on return team last year, did he? I mean I’dsay pass to both of them. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What do you mean by underwhelming? What would that be to you?

Signing a Giants castoff that couldn't play on their suspect O-line.

Completely ignoring the WR position.

Not signing a TE and overpaying ASJ.

Overpaying a suspect QB instead of drafting one.

Signing second-tier guys at CB and paying them like 1st tier guys.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's not a matter of opinion. PFF has him listed as an average center

PFF also has Brent Jones ranked higher. Why go for just the "average" guy when there are better guys out there? Typical Macc thinking.

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Tavon Austin, Weston Richburg, Demario Davis, Morris Claiborne, Orleans Darkwa, and ASJ being our only signings.

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d legit have to start thinking about a new team.

Fear not. The Falcons and Seattle are coming for ASJ, so he’s gone anyway. Also seeing a bunch of new, post-Cousins-to-Minny rumors that the Jets are in on AJ McCarron, so there you go.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fear not. The Falcons and Seattle are coming for ASJ, so he’s gone anyway. Also seeing a bunch of new, post-Cousins-to-Minny rumors that the Jets are in on AJ McCarron, so there you go.

Thank you Jesus. Not sure why we would want to resign Stone Hands Sefarian anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Thank you Jesus. Not sure why we would want to resign Stone Hands Sefarian anyway. 

For real. Curious to see what Claiborne does. If both him and ASJ walk, I won’t give a sh*t, but it’d be a rats bailing on a sinking ship situation. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jokes about this franchise and the decision makers aside, I'd very much, low-key, rather have McCarron and a first round QB (I can almost completely promise that a signing like him or Bridgewater wouldn't stop that), than bringing McCown back.  There is literally zero percent chance that McCown is our future.  The .05% chance that one of those guys is lightning in a bottle makes it the smarter move.  If both guys pan out, you go with the draft pick and trade the vet for a pick, likely a 2nd rounder.  Not much downside there.  The only thing I like about McCown is how embracing he is of the mentor/bridge QB role.  That and the fact that I think he would be an excellent coach one day and sliding him onto our staff when he's ready to hang em up would be nice.

Gotta, I guess, admit I was a big fan of both Teddy and AJ (in the later rounds for AJ) when they came out though.  

2 hours ago, pointman said:

We're in business, because I don't care what the stats say, Buster stinks and stays on the field and doesn't help our D. So a hurt Badger > regular Skrine.

The Honey Badger led the NFL in snaps played last year, so there’s that.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For real. Curious to see what Claiborne does. If both him and ASJ walk, I won’t give a sh*t, but it’d be a rats bailing on a sinking ship situation. 

I really love ASJ's story, but not enough to give him more money than he's truly worth.  On a "off the field note", I genuinely don't think Sark and him should be around one another for a multitude of reasons.

Claiborne, again, was one of my absolute favorite prospects in college and I was pleasantly surprised with his performance this season.  Another year of development from Maye and Adams + another CB signing for the outside would be a nice start to strengthening the young secondary.  

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Jokes about this franchise and the decision makers aside, I'd very much, low-key, rather have McCarron and a first round QB (I can almost completely promise that a signing like him or Bridgewater wouldn't stop that), than bringing McCown back.  There is literally zero percent chance that McCown is our future.  The .05% chance that one of those guys is lightning in a bottle makes it the smarter move.  If both guys pan out, you go with the draft pick and trade the vet for a pick, likely a 2nd rounder.  Not much downside there.  The only thing I like about McCown is how embracing he is of the mentor/bridge QB role.  That and the fact that I think he would be an excellent coach one day and sliding him onto our staff when he's ready to hang em up would be nice.

Gotta, I guess, admit I was a big fan of both Teddy and AJ (in the later rounds for AJ) when they came out though.  

Hang on...the Jets would really give McCarron a Glennon-sized contract and still draft a QB at 6?

15 hours ago, Jetster said:
So, your Macc & Bowles. 2 terrible losing seasons in a row. You've been given a 2 year contract extension. Kirk Cousins is available (definitely a top 10 QB in the league) you can disagree with that claim but no one on the NFL network, media & ex-players disputes that & most believe he's in the 2nd tier of franchise QBs behind Brady, Rogers, but with Stafford, Rivers ect.. You have the resources to sign him WITHOUT killing your salary cap or stifling your ability to still sign 3/4 top free agents.
Or, you take a flyer on a group of rookie QBs who's top 4 are flip flopped in every Mock on the web without any of them being a concensus #1 can't miss, Payton Manning, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton type. Your career is literally on the line, Cousins is a f*cking no brainer to ensure the likelihood Chris Johnson lets it play out for the 5 years of Kirks contract. I agree with others if his agent wants 3 years max? Tell him to go fly a kite & try to get Rosen or Mayfield.

So, and I’m sorry for asking, as I could certainly be reading this wrong - but your position is the Jets Should draft Cousins because it’s better for Mac and Bowles’s career? Regardless if it’s better for the organization.

I’m actually saying I believe they will draft him, but I believe that decision to be a mistake.
Mac and Bowles career longevity isn’t my objective.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hang on...the Jets would really give McCarron a Glennon-sized contract and still draft a QB at 6?

Why not? The Bears did it, and it seems to have worked. 

That said, I'd rather roll the dice on Bridgewater than sign McCarron.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

No to Tavon and No to Darkwa. Agree with Lupz. Just draft a bigger back later in draft if you just want a bruiser and it’s cheaper. Tavon good lord I talk about overdrafted and not worth it to us. Austin didn’t even do much on return team last year, did he? I mean I’dsay pass to both of them. 

Yeah just draft Dante Pettis if you want Austin.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Excited about the upcoming week. 

Ideally, we'd have signed Kirk Cousins, Allen Robinson, Aaron Colvin (CB Jaguars) and Zach Fulton (C/G Chiefs) by the end of the week.

The first two of those are clearly debatable; can't really blame anyone that doesn't want to spend 30 million a year on Kirk Cousins or 13 million a year on Allen Robinson, nor can I blame either of them for saying "No thank you" to this franchise.  

The second two on that wishlist are guys looking to take the step from reserves to starters and haven't gotten paid yet.  They should be easier to entice.  

Mac, Bowles:

I like the potential signing of Zach Fulton.  I would actually go after him and Rich urg.  Fulton replaces Carpenter and can be the back up center.  Than draft a Tackle like O’Neil (Pitt) or Jones (OSU) in the 3rd to replace Beacum next year and a guard like Wyatt Teller to replace Winters next season.  OL overhaul complete.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I, personally, don't think McCarron is going to get a Glennon sized contract, nor do I think we'll entertain offering such a thing from what I've heard. I probably should have prefaced that post with that. 

The only part of that post that wasn't an opinion piece from me was the part that said that signing a vet QB (McCarron, Bridgewater, McCown) wouldn't stop us from drafting one in the first.  I was really just trying to explain why I would try and get one of those other two for cheap-ish and draft a first round QB over McCown and a first round QB.  

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can see it now, sign McCorron so we don’t have to draft a QB at all.  ??

23 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I like the potential signing of Zach Fulton.  I would actually go after him and Rich urg.  Fulton replaces Carpenter and can be the back up center.  Than draft a Tackle like O’Neil (Pitt) or Jones (OSU) in the 3rd to replace Beacum next year and a guard like Wyatt Teller to replace Winters next season.  OL overhaul complete.

I definitely have interest in Fulton BUT among backup OL FAs getting elevated to full time I maybe lean towards the guy who can play tackle in Hubbard from the Steelers. Hubbard took the higher workloard at a tougher position in a better offense last year too IIRC. 

I'd rather attack C head on and sign Jensen, drafting Ragnow for C/G backup/rotation duties.

OTOH I don't feel so strongly about this and just want a QB or three.

45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I really love ASJ's story, but not enough to give him more money than he's truly worth.  On a "off the field note", I genuinely don't think Sark and him should be around one another for a multitude of reasons.

Claiborne, again, was one of my absolute favorite prospects in college and I was pleasantly surprised with his performance this season.  Another year of development from Maye and Adams + another CB signing for the outside would be a nice start to strengthening the young secondary.  

Likewise, I think losing Claiborne would hurt a lot more than ASJ, but it’s been so quiet around Claiborne that I’m wondering if he already has his bags packed, especially if he’s got a chance to get $10 million. As an overarching theme, it’d be pretty scary if these two veteran players just straight up bailed for greener pastures despite the Jets holding $90+ mil in cap space. 

42 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Why not? The Bears did it, and it seems to have worked. 

That said, I'd rather roll the dice on Bridgewater than sign McCarron.

IIRC, the GM didn’t tell anyone he was taking Trubisky until he actually took Trubisky, and it kneecapped both John Fox and Glennon. Can you get McCarron to sign without giving him the assurance that you won’t do him like the Bears did Glennon? If I was him, I’d want it in writing or some sh*t, like, if the teams drafts a QB in the first round, I automatically get my release and I’m keeping the signing bonus. 

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I, personally, don't think McCarron is going to get a Glennon sized contract, nor do I think we'll entertain offering such a thing from what I've heard. I probably should have prefaced that post with that. 

The only part of that post that wasn't an opinion piece from me was the part that said that signing a vet QB (McCarron, Bridgewater, McCown) wouldn't stop us from drafting one in the first.  I was really just trying to explain why I would try and get one of those other two for cheap-ish and draft a first round QB over McCown and a first round QB.  

I hear you. I just thought I read somewhere that McCarron was looking for multiple years in the $15mm-$18mm per range. I know the Jets have money to burn, but that’d be rich. Also, my Macc/Bowles skepticism has me believing that they’d both love—LOVE—to have an excuse to not draft a QB in the first round because it doesn’t serve their immediate interests. I’d imagine their careers hinge on their ability to get the team to 8-8 at minimum this year, and a rookie QB probably doesn’t help them do that whereas a CB or DE would.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I hate the Jets too, but why don't people like Jamal Adams? 

Haha! I love the Jets, and appreciate Jamal's effort and work ethic and all that. I just don't really care for all the jawing when he really hasn't been the second coming of Ed Reed. He talks too much. I wish he toned it down. And I love me some sh*t talk and the players that go hard and talk hard too. He just talks more than his play shows.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Likewise, I think losing Claiborne would hurt a lot more than ASJ, but it’s been so quiet around Claiborne that I’m wondering if he already has his bags packed, especially if he’s got a chance to get $10 million. As an overarching theme, it’d be pretty scary if these two veteran players just straight up bailed for greener pastures despite the Jets holding $90+ mil in cap space. 

Are these a different Claiborne and ASJ than the ones I'm thinking of? The two I'm thinking of wore 21 and 88 last year on the Jets. One was among the least productive players in foozeball last year most famous for a dropped TD and not getting drunk or high for a few months. The other was a mediocre starting outsider corner, valuable but also not so good.

Archived