A Zen Guide to QB Prospects and Not Emotionally Investing Anymore

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Allen, Hack II levels of inaccurate.  A Jeff George Arm and not much else. 

Except at the combine where he has shown VASTLY improved footwork and accuracy.  Why can't this guy be in the equation when he is showing an ability to improve?  With actual NFL-level coaching, this kid could be good.  And this is coming from a guy that watched him miss throws on a Hackenberg level.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I feel like there is nothing to gain getting behind a specific QB prospect now.

At the end of the day, I have no control over who gets picked (if anyone).

At the end of the day, I'm going to have to root for and try to like whomever we pick, because he'll be "our guy" then.

Getting really emotionally invested in a guy now seems like a sure path to disappointment.

Same way getting aggressively against a guy now seems like a path to bitterness when that guy inevitably winds up "our guy".

I vaguely like Mayfield, because he has spunk and would be fun to watch (it seems).  I have serious, material doubts as to all four top prospects potential at the NFL level: 

Darnold, could be another hyped-up turnover machine USC total bust a la Sanchez. 
Rosen, off field prioritized over on field, motivation and injury risks. 
Mayfield, height and translation of skills to the pro level.  College Rah Rah doesn't translate to Pros.
Jackson, "athlete", not a Quarterback (yet, if ever).
Rudolph, a poor man's Mayfield for 2nd Round also-rans.
Falk, boring and not enough to play at the big kids table.
Etc.

This feels like a draft where every option could be a bad option.  Or a good one, the kind of draft no one REALLY knows till after it's all said and done.

I feel that perhaps I should just Zen the **** out, and stop caring and obsessing.  And just roll with it.  It will be what it will be, we'll get who we get, and I'll root for them when the time comes to hopefully be a player who can play, can win, and not embarrass us.

All I know is we have to have a new QB.  I'm lighter on Hack than many here, and want to retain him and keep working on him (as the #3 till he proves otherwise), but the status Quo or worn out Vets and Hack/Petty cannot continue.  

So get us a guy.  I'm going to try to not worry about which guy.

It' just a weird process. I'm not a college football fan but this past season I watched because the Jets stripped down the roster and figured let's watch these QBS because of he hype. So I watched and came away impressed with Jackson's play, so you start reading up how he's a hard worker and just a good kid and you start imagining how awesome he would be in green. I mean it's weird becaaue I'm rooting for Louisville. I have no affiliation with that school and as soon as Lamar declared I have no interest in what that school does going forward. 

Now the Jets are the only top ten team who didn't meet jackson at the combine. So it looks like zero interest in him. So he ends up on another team after I've been rooting for him for 1/2 a year. What if he ends up in the AFCE. I will be hoping he bombs everytime he plays the Jets.

We have no control over this. I personally don' like the other prospects as much as Jackson, I actually like Josh Allen second so that means I'm an idiot according to this board. But whoever the Jets take I will be rooting for that kid like crazy. Even though I didn't like him nearly as much as Jackson. 

It's a weird process maybe similar to fantasy football which I also don't do.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I feel like there is nothing to gain getting behind a specific QB prospect now.

At the end of the day, I have no control over who gets picked (if anyone).

At the end of the day, I'm going to have to root for and try to like whomever we pick, because he'll be "our guy" then.

Getting really emotionally invested in a guy now seems like a sure path to disappointment.

Same way getting aggressively against a guy now seems like a path to bitterness when that guy inevitably winds up "our guy".

I vaguely like Mayfield, because he has spunk and would be fun to watch (it seems).  I have serious, material doubts as to all four top prospects potential at the NFL level: 

Darnold, could be another hyped-up turnover machine USC total bust a la Sanchez. 
Rosen, off field prioritized over on field, motivation and injury risks. 
Mayfield, height and translation of skills to the pro level.  College Rah Rah doesn't translate to Pros.
Jackson, "athlete", not a Quarterback (yet, if ever).
Rudolph, a poor man's Mayfield for 2nd Round also-rans.
Falk, boring and not enough to play at the big kids table.
Etc.

This feels like a draft where every option could be a bad option.  Or a good one, the kind of draft no one REALLY knows till after it's all said and done.

I feel that perhaps I should just Zen the **** out, and stop caring and obsessing.  And just roll with it.  It will be what it will be, we'll get who we get, and I'll root for them when the time comes to hopefully be a player who can play, can win, and not embarrass us.

All I know is we have to have a new QB.  I'm lighter on Hack than many here, and want to retain him and keep working on him (as the #3 till he proves otherwise), but the status Quo or worn out Vets and Hack/Petty cannot continue.  

So get us a guy.  I'm going to try to not worry about which guy.

I assume it's okay by you  for other Jets fans to have their preferences?  Or do we have to follow your let-the-chips-fall approach?  It makes perfect sense, mind you, just not going to happen with me or almost anyone else.  

I completely agree, I get rooting for a player to be our pick but it's such a crap shot regardless of who it is. I try to find the positive in any situation because it only hurts to complain about everything all the time. I understand negativity is a way of coping and sheltering yourself from being overly disappointed, unfortunately we are all fans and that inherently means we are fanatics and are emotionally invested in the outcome of a game that is no more important than a game of checkers in the grand scheme of things. The heart ache we feel when we make bone headed moves is what makes the runs like 2009 and 2010 so memorable. 

You meant to say Teddy Bridgwater or Tyrod Taylor, right :).  I keep hearing that we ain't getting Kirk.  So if all the "good" QB's are either gone or out of our reach would we be ok with Saquon Barkley at 6.  After all Barkley + an average QB might be fun to watch.  Better than what MacBowles (another poster coined this phrase and I'm warming up to it) have been handing us so far.    

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the prospect Warfish (and the internet) is the most wrong about is going to be Josh Allen 

He runs fast, he's bigger than everyone but Cam and Big Ben and he legit can throw 70 yard bombs. He was the alpha dog at workouts while Darnold watched. 

the reason why his completion percentage was garbage was because of throwaways and bomb attempts. He put that team on his back and tried to win. He didn't complete 7 out of 10 passes in a system and rely on his teammates like Baker Mayfield. He had no teammates. 

That being said I will take any of the top 4 and Lamar and greet it as an instant upgrade over the current roster.  Allen will go 1 or 2 and it won't be a discussion for the Jets at 6 

the real abomination is when the Jets pass on a QB because Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson is there and they are BPA. Mac loves BPA and those might be great players but they need to take some kind of swing at QB in the first round. if they don't might as well not watch until 2019. 

I've largely ignored JN's hate brigade with regards to Allen and would be happy to get him.

Your second point is where you lose me.  Bowles and Macc know that under no circumstances can sell this fan base and media anything but Cousins, a 6th pick QB, or moving up in the draft for Rosen, Darnold, Allen.

Nothing else is acceptable.  I want McCown resigned but ONLY in conjunction with getting one of the top QB's in the draft. 

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Now the Jets are the only top ten team who didn't meet jackson at the combine. So it looks like zero interest in him 

Teams often draft guys they don't meet with at the Combine. That story happens every year, especially at QB. The guy says I had no idea they were interested from the stage talking to Deion. 

this could be a sign they are super sweaty for Lamar Jackson.  Or not. The Jets are drum tight post-Rex we just don't know. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I've largely ignored JN's hate brigade with regards to Allen and would be happy to get him.

Your second point is where you lose me.  Bowles and Macc know that under no circumstances can sell this fan base and media anything but Cousins, a 6th pick QB, or moving up in the draft for Rosen, Darnold, Allen.

Nothing else is acceptable.  I want McCown resigned but ONLY in conjunction with getting one of the top QB's in the draft. 

McCown return scares me because we all know how our leaders Macc and Bowles will handle the situation they will strive for a 5-6 win season again and we will be year 4 no decent QB.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

McCown return scares me because we all know how our leaders Macc and Bowles will handle the situation they will strive for a 5-6 win season again and we will be year 4 no decent QB.

This is another premise I reject.

Macc and Bowles did everything possible to have Hack win the job and he couldn't get it done.  This notion that Bowles will only play a vet at QB is a fantasy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Your second point is where you lose me.  Bowles and Macc know that 

Do they really know? DO THEY? 

The real owner is away for 4 years. He doesn't have to watch or be harassed by airplanes carrying banners at practice. 

What do we know about Christopher the little bro "in charge" a very delicate situation he can't be too successful it makes it look like Woody is the problem.  

This Jets seat isn't hot. They are in keep the lights on mode until Brady retires. 

the "sign Kirk Cousins" fans should have learned by now, what makes sense and what actually happens are two different things 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

This is another premise I reject.

Macc and Bowles did everything possible to have Hack win the job and he couldn't get it done.  This notion that Bowles will only play a vet at QB is a fantasy.

I don't remember seeing Hackenberg on the field even after we were eliminated from the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Do they really know? DO THEY? 

The real owner is away for 4 years. He doesn't have to watch or be harassed by airplanes carrying banners at practice. 

What do we know about Christopher the little bro "in charge" a very delicate situation he can't be too successful it makes it look like Woody is the problem.  

This Jets seat isn't hot. They are in keep the lights on mode until Brady retires. 

as the Kirk Cousins people are learning, rooting for this team is not about what we want to happen.  

There’s a zero percent chance the Jets take a QB in round 1 anyways. There’s no urgency, no accountability etc. 

• Post of the Week 2

I don't remember seeing Hackenberg on the field even after we were eliminated form the playoffs. 

He was the leader in preseason snaps at practice and overwhelming leader in snaps during the preseason games.  You don't give a guy all that work if you're not trying to get him ready to start.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

He was the leader in preseason snaps at practice and overwhelming leader in snaps during the preseason games.  You don't give a guy all that work if you're not trying to get him ready to start.

Ok agree then where was he?  Macc and Bowles stuck with the vet and will do the same damn thing again, these guys are TOP morons of the NFL. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

There’s a zero percent chance the Jets take a QB in round 1 anyways. There’s no urgency, no accountability etc. 

hahaha.. I like when guys make these sweeping statements without having the first clue what's going on.

so they're just kind of putzing around in Indy making it up as they go along?

• Upvote 1

Ok agree then where was he?  Macc and Bowles stuck with the vet and will do the same damn thing, these guys are TOP morons of the NFL. 

That's where Bowles f'd up.  It was moronic not to let Hack play out the season after McCown got hurt.  It was painfully obvious after that half in Denver that Petty was still Petty. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Says the guy who was 100 % convinced we're getting Kirk Cousins.  

Just because you claim I was "100%" convinced doesn't make it true.

I said I was convinced, and still am, that we have a better chance than most on this board seem to think we do.  That seems to have been backed up by the report that Cousins is down to 4 teams and we're one of them.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The owner is fine with 5-11.  

According to Forbes the Jets are the 9th most valuable franchise and took in 431 million dollars in revenue last year. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article173950386.html

431 mil of revenue vs what cost? 80 mil in player spend? they were below the floor. How much could front office/coaching/scouts/staff/overhead/hr lady/taxes really cost? Another 20-30 mil maybe. 60 mil if they are staying at the ST. Regis everywhere. Shoot put another 30 mil on top for pensions and healthcare other expenses. 

Still, the Jets are clearing a cool 200 mil in 2017 at 5-11.

and that's only a discussion of revenue not assets (which can be borrowed against etc). 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the prospect Warfish (and the internet) is the most wrong about is going to be Josh Allen 

He runs fast, he's bigger than everyone but Cam and Big Ben and he legit can throw 70 yard bombs. He was the alpha dog at workouts while Darnold watched. 

the reason why his completion percentage was garbage was because of throwaways and bomb attempts. He put that team on his back and tried to win. He didn't complete 7 out of 10 passes in a system and rely on his teammates like Baker Mayfield. He had no teammates. 

That being said I will take any of the top 4 and Lamar and greet it as an instant upgrade over the current roster.  Allen will go 1 or 2 and it won't be a discussion for the Jets at 6 

Good thoughts here. Darnold not throwing was a huge let down from an personality perspective, mainly bc this is NY, and it holds more weight imo given the hoarding media. That said Allen's eyes look like a kid scared to death too. Rosen and Mayfield seem to have the moxy and Jackson seems like a strong minded steady enough kid.

...all that said I'll take any of the 5 at 6 regardless of personal thoughts. Whoever that guy is Ill be behind him for at least 3 years. Allen and Darnold scariest from mental perspective atm though. To your point, Darnold really starting to make me a little apprehensive. Don't care if the decision came more from the agent than him or whatever the reasoning. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Good thoughts here. Darnold not throwing was a huge let down from an personality perspective, mainly bc this is NY, and it holds more weight imo given the hoarding media. That said Allen's eyes look like a kid scared to death too. Rosen and Mayfield seem to have the moxy and Jackson seems like a strong minded steady enough kid.

...all that said I'll take any of the 5 at 6 regardless of personal thoughts. Whoever that guy is Ill be behind him for at least 3 years. Allen and Darnold scariest from mental perspective atm though. To your point, Darnold really starting to make me a little apprehensive. Don't care if the decision came more from the agent than him or whatever the reasoning. 

Darnold's answer to the Franchise QB question scared me.

Here's what's going to happen:

Cousins is either going to the Vikings or the Broncos.

He said he wants to go to a team where he can win now.  The Vikings and the Broncos fit that bill.  Not the Browns and unfortunately not the Jets.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen will be picked before our pick.

Baker Mayfield will be the next QB of the New York Jets.

You heard it here first.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HessStation said:

To your point, Darnold really starting to make me a little apprehensive. 

Darnold feels like a top 4 pick he probably won't be there either. some will call it superstitious but I want no part of a USC QB after Sanchez (and the other 11 soft prospects that have entered the league since Carson Palmer). 

Think about the dude who gets a full ride to play QB at USC. He's got all the cheerleaders, every day is bright and sunny and people tell you how great you are. You are surrounded by 5 star preps at left tackle and WR and it's helpful to be surrounded by a winning program. Even when you lose that one or two game a year, people are generally chill, bra, and there's always the pac 12 championship and the Rose bowl blah blah participation trophies.   

And then you take that guy and you start him as a rookie in New York for the Jets.  

Nothing could prepare a guy less. The one trend I really enjoy in this front office is the LSU "honey badger" type of personality. That's what this locker room needs. A bunch of physical badasses who know what it's like to lose to Alabama every year and come back and think they will win the next year. Even though they almost never do. SEC guys is what this team needs, no offense to Sam Darnold. Life in the NFL is just too harsh.  

which brings us back to Josh Allen. While he does look like a rube, he has faced every challenge. He gets his butt whipped at Wyoming when everyone graduates. He goes to Senior Bowl and plays against the factory guys. He goes to combine and lights it up. He looks scared but he aint scared. It doesn't matter Kiper said he went 1 everyone laughed but Kiper doesn't make random ass predictions. Someone is telling him these things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Here's what's going to happen:

Cousins is either going to the Vikings or the Broncos.

He said he wants to go to a team where he can win now.  The Vikings and the Broncos fit that bill.  Not the Browns and unfortunately not the Jets.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen will be picked before our pick.

Baker Mayfield will be the next QB of the New York Jets.

You heard it here first.

You just took the 'most likely' approach scenerio, so no points for you. :P

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Darnold feels like a top 4 pick he probably won't be there either. some will call it superstitious but I want no part of a USC QB after Sanchez (and the other 11 soft prospects that have entered the league since Carson Palmer). 

Think about the dude who gets a full ride to play QB at USC. He's got all the cheerleaders, every day is bright and sunny and people tell you how great you are. You are surrounded by 5 star preps at left tackle and WR and it's helpful to be surrounded by a winning program. Even when you lose that one or two game a year, people are generally chill, bra, and there's always the pac 12 championship and the Rose bowl blah blah participation trophies.   

And then you take that guy and you start him as a rookie in New York for the Jets.  

Nothing could prepare a guy less. The one trend I really enjoy in this front office is the LSU "honey badger" type of personality. That's what this locker room needs. A bunch of physical badasses who know what it's like to lose to Alabama every year and come back and think they will win the next year. Even though they almost never do. SEC guys is what this team needs, no offense to Sam Darnold. Life in the NFL is just too harsh.  

which brings us back to Josh Allen. While he does look like a rube, he has faced every challenge. He gets his butt whipped at Wyoming when everyone graduates. He goes to Senior Bowl and plays against the factory guys. He goes to combine and lights it up. He looks scared but he aint scared. It doesn't matter Kiper said he went 1 everyone laughed but Kiper doesn't make random ass predictions. Someone is telling him these things. 

I agree, if you seperate my personal opionion vs. conventional opinion. Mentally, per NY media, Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson don't scare me, Darnold and Allen do. Physically they all have the pro and cons we've talked about at nauseum. It's where you want to personally weight these things that makes a difference between the 5. Most likely 2 will be stars, 2 will be busts and 1 will never get a chacne due to injuries. Begging the the football gods that karma is, for once, on the Jets side at 6.