Jets resign Claiborne - 1 yr 7 million

Patriot Killa

Really? And when our front gets held up at the line like always , how long do you think this great secondary can hold up?

Better than they did last year.
We need a pass rush but if we can’t generate it then having a stellar secondary definitely helps. The secondary actually could give the d line a few extra seconds to get to the QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That's pretty ideal for the Jets. Reasonable and allows for future flexibility. 

Ideally one of the younger CB's on the depth chart can prove enough to start across from Tru in 2019. Till then we've officially set at corner.

I feel like I’m watching a repeat of the NY Rangers past offseason where they allocated all their money on Defense, and a goalie, and then wondered why it didn’t work, and had to sell everyone off after watching the last 10 Stanley Cup champs win with Offensive talent specifically up the middle.

Wow, I actually really like this deal.  He far exceeded expectations last season, and the Jets are getting to do it all again for only $1M more.  If Claiborne can repeat it, the market it for him will increase and he'll deservedly get better offers next year.  If he takes a step back, be it by play or health, there's no risk from the Jets.  I haven't liked all of the deals, but tough to complain about this one at all.

Plus it further pushes the idea we all want to see, going heavy on offense in the draft.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

With his health concerns that's a great contract by Maccagnan.  Put him on the #2

WR and his effectiveness goes up

This is a great deal for the Jets. No long term commitment. You get 12 games out of him but he is good when he plays. Now he is the # 2, even better.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Wow, I actually really like this deal.  He far exceeded expectations last season, and the Jets are getting to do it all again for only $1M more.  If Claiborne can repeat it, the market it for him will increase and he'll deservedly get better offers next year.  If he takes a step back, be it by play or health, there's no risk from the Jets.  I haven't liked all of the deals, but tough to complain about this one at all.

Plus it further pushes the idea we all want to see, going heavy on offense in the draft.

Same type of contract Bridgewater got. One year, prove it deal (though Claiborne managed to stay healthy last season). Low risk, high reward. Neither player may make a huge contribution this season but the contracts were very nicely done by Maccagnan. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Nooooooooooo my Minka dreams have been compromised.

Sooner or later you're going to have to admit Maccnificent is knocking this sh-t out of the park.  When you do....  I'll be there.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sooner or later you're going to have to admit Maccnificent is knocking this sh-t out of the park.  When you do....  I'll be there.

Only took four years for him not to massively overpay second and third tier free agents. Congrats! Offense still blows. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We can now use our first 3 picks for offense. Qb or Nelson, RB, TE/OL

Yes.  This changes a lot.  Prior to them resigning Claiborne I assumed they would go with a CB in the 2nd round.  Now they can go with a RB in the 2nd like you said.  My dreams of Sony Michel or Ronald Jones II are still in play.

Johnson and Claiborne as our #1 and 2 CBs? Combine that with Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams, and at least our secondary will be awesome next year. Now let's get a QB and guys who can pressure opposing QBs, and I seriously think we have a shot at the playoffs next season

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Only took four years for him not to massively overpay second and third tier free agents. Congrats! Offense still blows. 

and if he signed Cousins your post would have said:

"Only took four years for him to massively overpay a top tier free agent.  Congrats!  Secondary still blows."

Just now, Pac said:

and if he signed Cousins your post would have said:

"Only took four years for him to massively overpay a top tier free agent.  Congrats!  Secondary still blows."

Nope. Good try. Secondary finally might be decent. Only spent what? 100 (more) million and high round picks to get there?

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nope. Good try. Secondary finally might be decent. Only spent what? 100 (more) million and high round picks to get there?

so you're saying Macc did good?

come on Carl...  you can say it...

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

so you're saying Macc did good?

come on Carl...  you can say it...

We’ll see in a few months how well he did. Jury is still out on both safeties. And they’re still devoid of game changers at the most important positions on the field and are below average in the trenches.  

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This makes the secondary complete. I was surprised that Mo was still out there. After we draft Chubb at #6, we’ll have a pretty good defense!!!

Chubb will be on consolation prize if Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield are all gone by 6.  Very good chance he's there if all 3 of those QBs get drafted.  Scary thought.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think it eliminates the need for them to have to draft a CB in the 2nd round.  That opens it up for being able to draft a RB and maybe a TE or OL in the 2nd round.  Of course this all depends on if a QB that we want is there at 6.  This is quietly a monster resigning for the Jets.  

32 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I think it eliminates the need for them to have to draft a CB in the 2nd round.  That opens it up for being able to draft a RB and maybe a TE or OL in the 2nd round.  Of course this all depends on if a QB that we want is there at 6.  This is quietly a monster resigning for the Jets.  

They are trading up and losing those 2nd round picks.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They are trading up and losing those 2nd round picks.

I don't think that's the right move.  I think there's a very good chance one of the top 3 QBs are there at 6.  Not to sound silly but the last two drafts had players we would've never thought in our right minds fall to us at 6.  The top 5 picks are always wild and very unpredictable.  What people and even professional draft analysts think will happen won't happen.  Because of that I would stay at 6 because in a draft like this where it's 2nd round heavy, if that even makes sense, I feel like we have to stay put having 2 picks in the 2nd round.  There's going to be TONS of talent in the 2nd round meaning we can solidify 2 positions of need.  

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind going with Teddy/McCown/Hackenberg going into this season especially with the potentially dominant defense we're going to put on the field.  I'm willing to take that chance staying put at 6 and hoping that Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield are there for the taking.

12 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I don't think that's the right move.  I think there's a very good chance one of the top 3 QBs are there at 6.  Not to sound silly but the last two drafts had players we would've never thought in our right minds fall to us at 6.  The top 5 picks are always wild and very unpredictable.  What people and even professional draft analysts think will happen won't happen.  Because of that I would stay at 6 because in a draft like this where it's 2nd round heavy, if that even makes sense, I feel like we have to stay put having 2 picks in the 2nd round.  There's going to be TONS of talent in the 2nd round meaning we can solidify 2 positions of need.  

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind going with Teddy/McCown/Hackenberg going into this season especially with the potentially dominant defense we're going to put on the field.  I'm willing to take that chance staying put at 6 and hoping that Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield are there for the taking.

That assumes they have all 4 of the QBs rated exactly the same, which they will not. Josh Allen really isn't a WCO type QB. They have to get to #2 or #3 if they feel strongly about the QBs that aren't Darnold since he is going #1. Those meaningless wins cost at least one #2 and next year's #1 and possibly a #3 in there somewhere. Our chances of not moving up have to be really slim since Mac may lose his job if he comes out of all of this without Cousins, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen and Allen, and he absolutely should. It's the most important position on the field and most of our resources should reflect that. Instead we invest more in our cornerbacks than our QBs in a league you need to score points in the regular season to win.

We would also be handing our rivals a potential FQB that could terrorize us for up to 15 years, when most of the position players we draft will be long gone. The Bills cannot jump in front of us - if Mac let's that happen he should be in trouble.

25 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

You have to get a QB in round 1 this year. They can't do anything else.

I hope someone is there at 6. More and more draft gurus are saying the top 4 won't be there. Scary thought.

Archived