Chad is mentoring Baker

jetrider

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sanchez the one positive thing you could say about him was he was actually a much better qb in playoff games than in regular season.  He was 4-2 in the playoffs with all the wins on the road against very good teams and he played well even in the 2 losses

Total dud in regular season tho

just looking at 2009 he was up and down, more ups than downs though.  He doesn't get enough credit.  He threw 20 INts as a rookie but 15 came in 4 games so he was awful those 4 but had a good rookie year overall. In 2010 he had a few bad games but he led a ton of late game comebacks to pull out wins which people tend to forget. we could win w/ a guy like Mark, he would make mistakes but he could overcome them too.  if we had him in 2015 we would have made the playoffs.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They both sucked.  Chad had one really good half a season in ‘02 that got us a playoff appearance afterwards the league saw tape and learned how to defend him because he had no arm

did they not have the tape in 2004 when he was among the leagues passing leaders again before his torn rotator cuff?

Chad was all about health, when he played 3/4 of his teams games his teams made the playoffs every time(2002, 2004, 2006, 2008), unfortunately his body was not made for NFL football.

Remember, the Brady dynasty started in 2001 and since the start NE has not won the div only 2 times.  The QB for the other 2? Chad Pennington, 2008 was w/o Brady around but 2002 wasn't.  He's the only QB in a healthy Brady year that won the AFC East besides Brady. 

another thing, we have argued about Eli manning and the HOF.  Chad played a fraction of the games Eli has and yet Chad led in passer rating and comp %(2x) while Eli never led in any major category other than INTs(3x), Chad won player of the week 6 times Eli 4 times(Chad started 81 games, Eli 214) and Chad finished 2nd in league MVP voting while Eli has never received a single league MVP vote.

Jet fans don't respect Chad as much as we should, it sucks that he couldn't stay healthy b/c he was a good one.

Chad Pennington mentor? Really? He met with Mayfield at the combine. How long ago was that? And according to multiple accounts the have shared some texts since. Thats mentoring? Chad is FOS if he is billing himself as this guys mentor and if I was Mayfield I would tell him get lost with your unsolicited advising me via media BS .

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While I do think his advice in this article is very good I retain my right to bash the guy.  The Jets were "QB starved" for several decades when he arrived so he got way more credit then he deserved.  He was never as good as advertised and eventually he got carried away with his own (undeserved) reputation.  Remember when he got on that sports writer telling him something like "you're lucky to have a job where you get to cover athletes like me!"  

I remember that incident between chad and the media. I was glad he dished it out to the wise-guy new York tabloid writers, a motley crew that plenty of people on this board don't much care for either. It was more than the comment you brought up, he said other stuff to hit them where it hurt, and they so attacked him afterwards as only the media can do, and he had to apologize.... 

2 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I remember that incident between chad and the media. I was glad he dished it out to the wise-guy new York tabloid writers, a motley crew that plenty of people on this board don't much care for either. It was more than the comment you brought up, he said other stuff to hit them where it hurt, and they so attacked him afterwards as only the media can do, and he had to apologize.... 

I think I was pretty fed up with Chad at the point when he said these things so I had pretty much had enough of his act.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As a poster and contributor to Jet Nation, you are as pathetic as Geno Smith.

SAR I

Your strange love for Sanchez showing again. What is pathetic is Geno Smith is still playing football in the nfl, and nobody even wants to touch Sanchez. Well except for you.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

just looking at 2009 he was up and down, more ups than downs though.  He doesn't get enough credit.  He threw 20 INts as a rookie but 15 came in 4 games so he was awful those 4 but had a good rookie year overall. In 2010 he had a few bad games but he led a ton of late game comebacks to pull out wins which people tend to forget. we could win w/ a guy like Mark, he would make mistakes but he could overcome them too.  if we had him in 2015 we would have made the playoffs.

He was inconsistent in ‘09 and ‘10 with a great supporting cast.  Sanchez’s best regular season was actually 2011 but we missed the playoffs because the window had closed for the rest of the roster

The Tebow trade ended any chance Sanchez ever had of even being remotely decent.  We created a qb controversy out of thin air and anytime our offense had any momentum or got a first down in 2012 Sanchez would have to run off and line up at wideout because we had to get Tebow has minimum 5-10 snaps per game at qb because he was the next Brad Smith supposedly

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

did they not have the tape in 2004 when he was among the leagues passing leaders again before his torn rotator cuff?

Chad was all about health, when he played 3/4 of his teams games his teams made the playoffs every time(2002, 2004, 2006, 2008), unfortunately his body was not made for NFL football.

Remember, the Brady dynasty started in 2001 and since the start NE has not won the div only 2 times.  The QB for the other 2? Chad Pennington, 2008 was w/o Brady around but 2002 wasn't.  He's the only QB in a healthy Brady year that won the AFC East besides Brady. 

another thing, we have argued about Eli manning and the HOF.  Chad played a fraction of the games Eli has and yet Chad led in passer rating and comp %(2x) while Eli never led in any major category other than INTs(3x), Chad won player of the week 6 times Eli 4 times(Chad started 81 games, Eli 214) and Chad finished 2nd in league MVP voting while Eli has never received a single league MVP vote.

Jet fans don't respect Chad as much as we should, it sucks that he couldn't stay healthy b/c he was a good one.

It wasn’t all about health Chad was a very limited player who couldn’t stretch the field.  Fitzpatrick had the same issues  but was never as good as Chad. I don’t hate Chad I’m just not inducting him into Canton like you

Yes, post injury Pennington was a noodle arm, but please, the criticisms of Chad are pretty silly. He is still the only QB to take the division crown from Brady and he did it as a first year starter against a SB champion Brady taking a Jet team whose season appeared to be over and leading it to some great victories in the closing weeks beating Brady in NE, than Favre in Jersey, and then blowing out Manning in what I think was the Jets last home playoff game. And then he did it a second time after his career appeared to be over due to injury leading a not so great Fin team to the division title. He is second ever in completion percentage and it's not because he threw short passes... if that was the case everyone would do it.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yes, post injury Pennington was a noodle arm, but please, the criticisms of Chad are pretty silly. He is still the only QB to take the division crown from Brady and he did it as a first year starter against a SB champion Brady taking a Jet team whose season appeared to be over and leading it to some great victories in the closing weeks beating Brady in NE, than Favre in Jersey, and then blowing out Manning in what I think was the Jets last home playoff game. And then he did it a second time after his career appeared to be over due to injury leading a not so great Fin team to the division title. He is second ever in completion percentage and it's not because he threw short passes... if that was the case everyone would do it.

We got very lucky that year and the team that helped us win the division was the pats with an enormous comeback win over the dolphins.  That was Chad’s only actual good season

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It wasn’t all about health Chad was a very limited player who couldn’t stretch the field.  Fitzpatrick had the same issues  but was never as good as Chad. I don’t hate Chad I’m just not inducting him into Canton like you

I guess you don't like Drew Brees either....

Drew Brees Completion percentage career 66.9; Yards/Attempt 7.6; Yards/Completion 11.3

Chad Pennington Completion percentage career 66.0; Yards/Attempt 7.2; Yards/Completion 10.9

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We got very lucky that year and the team that helped us win the division was the pats with an enormous comeback win over the dolphins.  That was Chad’s only actual good season

Yes that pasting of the Packers in the final week and then the 41-0 blowout of the Colts were very lucky.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I guess you don't like Drew Brees either....

Drew Brees Completion percentage career 66.9; Yards/Attempt 7.6; Yards/Completion 11.3

Chad Pennington Completion percentage career 66.0; Yards/Attempt 7.2; Yards/Completion 10.9

Are you seriously comparing Brees to Pennington?

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Chad's career was aborted by terrible injuries.  Sanchez's career was aborted by his lack of football intelligence, inability to learn, passion for partying and off-and-on work ethic.  Never learned how to read a defense.  And did I mention zero leadership ability?  Only could see a narrow sliver of the field on most plays.   He just flat out sucked.

11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Can’t disagree. He was carried by a top OL, top 3 D. Imagine if we had a decent qb ? Geez.  We can only hope to set up Sam with half of what we supported mark with. 

When Chad beat the Colts 41 zip, I thought we were set for 10 years.    Imagine a healthy Chad under a REX 2009  2010 team.  The CURSE continues.

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Your strange love for Sanchez showing again. What is pathetic is Geno Smith is still playing football in the nfl, and nobody even wants to touch Sanchez. Well except for you.

No one wants Mark Sanchez 2018.  That's a ludicrous argument and nothing but a deflection from a weak poster.  For someone so consumed by the damage done by the buttfumble on social media you spend a lot of your time embarrassing yourself on social media.

What some want is for Mark to be shown the proper respect for his accomplishments in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 seasons which surpassed Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, and all the other clowns we put under center since 1970.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Are you seriously comparing Brees to Pennington?

The way some of these people love Chad Pennington is astounding.  The guy wasted the best 6 years of the team Bill Parcells built with a HOF caliber OL and a HOF RB and some of the best WR's in team history.  All those weapons and he missed 3 seasons because he couldn't take care of his body and for the other 3 was afraid to throw the ball and took sack after sack to puff up his completion percentage.

They kill Sanchez for his low completion percentage and disregard his postseason dominance while propping up Chad for his high completion percentage and ignore how he sh-t the bed under postseason pressure.

Stupid Mets fans and their screwed up, loser values.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

In 2002, it was looking like we had Joe Montana at QB. When the Jets beat the Colts 41-0 in the wildcard round, things were getting ecstatic. Then, the following week -long before his first major injury- the Raiders simply exposed him. He never reached the dizzying heights of that 2002 season again. He was clearly limited, the injuries just limited him further. 

In his career, he's credited with just 7 fourth quarter comebacks. In many fewer starts, Sanchez managed 8. 

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No one wants Mark Sanchez 2018.  That's a ludicrous argument and nothing but a deflection from a weak poster.  For someone so consumed by the damage done by the buttfumble on social media you spend a lot of your time embarrassing yourself on social media.

What some want is for Mark to be shown the proper respect for his accomplishments in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 seasons which surpassed Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, and all the other clowns we put under center since 1970.

SAR I

the Jets got there in spite of Sanchez's incompetence, not because of it.  Absolutely horrible QB.  Stupid beyond belief, blind on the field, unable to make decisions quickly and inconsistent work effort.  You look at the team's outcome and blindly attribute it to this bum.  You are so far off reality on this it makes one wonder what you see when you watch a game.  

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The way some of these people love Chad Pennington is astounding.  The guy wasted the best 6 years of the team Bill Parcells built with a HOF caliber OL and a HOF RB and some of the best WR's in team history.  All those weapons and he missed 3 seasons because he couldn't take care of his body and for the other 3 was afraid to throw the ball and took sack after sack to puff up his completion percentage.

They kill Sanchez for his low completion percentage and disregard his postseason dominance while propping up Chad for his high completion percentage and ignore how he sh-t the bed under postseason pressure.

SAR I

Why can't they both have been good? Sanchez was ruined by mismanagement of his development and expecting him to carry the team on his shoulders in only his third season. Chad by injuries. They both are examples of the Jets having success when they select a QB in the first round. Every first round QB the Jets have selected since Namath has taken the Jets to the playoffs. In fact, the only QB to take the Jets to the playoffs who was not a first round selection of the Jets was Vinny, and he was a first round selection of another team. The lesson here is that the Jets should be picking a QB in the first round when they need one. 

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Chad had the guts to fight to stick around after his shoulder was wrecked.  Management did not get anyone better than him for a while and I don't blame him for trying even if, in retrospect, it may have held us back.  Agreed that he was bad in the playoffs (although he did have a great game against the Colts before he got hurt).

I was one of Sanchez's biggest supporters, but with all due respect, he was never dominant in any fashion, post-season or otherwise, despite his good post-season record.  He played on a very good team when he came into the league and managed to make few enough mistakes for a team with league-leading running and defense to get to two championship games.  He had some clutch drives along the way, but there is not a single statistic that would support your claim of "dominance."  As soon as he played on a more pedestrian team his weaknesses became immediately apparent and he has never looked good on another team either.  The Jets did not "ruin" him.  He was the same guy all along. 

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I liked both Pennington and Sanchez a lot. If I was starting a franchise, I’d take Pennington but if I needed to win one game, I’d take Sanchez in a heartbeat. 

Chad was pretty good but didn’t have the arm stength to come back if we were down. It always ended up in easy interceptions. He was likeable but I understand the hate on him post injury. 

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

the Jets got there in spite of Sanchez's incompetence, not because of it.  Absolutely horrible QB.  Stupid beyond belief, blind on the field, unable to make decisions quickly and inconsistent work effort.  You look at the team's outcome and blindly attribute it to this bum.  You are so far off reality on this it makes one wonder what you see when you watch a game.  

2018:  "A franchise quarterback is everything!  We can't make the playoffs without a franchise quarterback!  We need a franchise quarterback!"

2010:  "Franchise quarterback?  We don't need one of those.  Doesn't matter."

SAR I

9 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Who is Chad????

A mediocre quarterback who came along at exactly the wrong time, took a Parcells masterpiece of a roster and did nothing with it.  Mawae, Martin, Chrebet, Moss, Anderson, had it all and wasted it.  We cheered when he got hurt.  Hated the guy.  But some fall in love with his puppy dog face and hard luck story.  He's been Rusty Staubed.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

This is a rare occasion but I gotta disagree. I know he regressed terribly but he made some great throws and he won many games in leading us to 2 AFC Championship games. If he were as bad as you describe we never would have even been a .500 team. This IS a QB driven league.

Archived