Jets minicamp - Day 1

Patriot Killa

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Looks like Manish has found his new informer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marish is a little wizzle.. if he helps jets get a good draft pick for bridgewater, you know they will give him the keys to the inside info. I bet they made this deal already. We know McCown is starting, darnold waiting in the wings.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Compared to some of the negative a$$ clowns on JN Mehta is overly upbeat. Sounded like an honest appraisal.

Fair point.  It was really just his last few words of the tweet that had me roll my eyes.  Typical Mehta. "....he would not have scored."  That's purely opinion.  It's like me saying, "Saquon Barkley made a great move at the line of scrimmage to scamper for a 30 yard run at Giants mini-camp, but most good defensive lines would have had him for a loss of yardage."

Sam Darnold takeaways, observations from Day 1 of Jets minicamp | More extensive action with starters

Posted June 12, 2018 at 04:44 PM | Updated June 12, 2018 at 04:51 PM

0shares

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jetsmandatory minicamp is underway. So let's go ahead and give you some takeaways and observations from how quarterback Sam Darnold performed on Day 1 of minicamp, on Tuesday. The Jets finish up minicamp on Wednesday and Thursday. Darnold is competing with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the Jets' starting quarterback job. 

Jets Football
AP Photo

The Jets drafted Darnold third overall this year. 

HOW DID DARNOLD LOOK IN OTA PRACTICES?

Click here to read what we learned about Darnold during organized team activities. The Jets held 10 OTAs practices, and three were open to reporters. 

IS MINICAMP THE SAME AS OTA PRACTICES?

Essentially, yes. Both include no-pads practices. The pads don't go on until training camp. The main difference — all three practices of minicamp are mandatory. It is the only mandatory portion of an NFL team's entire offseason program. And all three minicamp practices are open to reporters. 

THE STATS

Darnold on Tuesday got 38 reps (most of any Jets quarterback Tuesday), including 12 reps with the first team. He completed 14 of 23 passes and had a 5-yard touchdown pass in a red zone period. 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

THE GREAT STUFF

The touchdown was a really nice play. Darnold threaded a throw through coverage and hit Eric Tomlinson in the middle of the end zone. As usual, the ball got out of Darnold's hand very quickly. 

THE GOOD STUFF

Earlier in practice, Darnold had a fantastic throw to Tre McBride. The coverage was tight. But the well-zipped pass got past the outstretched arm of Darron Lee. A perfectly placed (and paced) throw by Darnold. In Darnold's best segment of team periods Tuesday, he completed 5 of 7 passes, and the incomplete passes were a brutal drop by Isaiah Crowell and a throwaway. Darnold showed good vision over the middle of the field during this period, and he also hit a check-down throw, under pressure, to Bilal Powell. 

THE BAD STUFF

Let's examine Darnold's nine incomplete passes. We mentioned the Crowell drop and the throwaway. Darnold was also high on a throw for Jordan Leggett. There was a deflected pass at the line. Jermaine Kearse appeared to not turn in time for another pass. Darnold threw a ball high and long for Bucky Hodges, and also was high on a pass to the end zone for ArDarius Stewart. Those were his most notable incomplete passes, except ... 

THE UGLY STUFF

Darnold should have been intercepted by rookie cornerback Parry Nickerson along the sideline, on a throw intended for Leggett. Darnold locked in on Leggett, and Nickerson was able to jump the route. He just couldn't hold onto the ball. 

HOW DID JOSH MCCOWN LOOK?

His usual steady self. He got 25 reps (all with the first team) and completed 8 of 12 passes. He continues to be the Jets' No. 1 quarterback. Let's see how things play out in training camp, though.  

HOW DID TEDDY BRIDGEWATER LOOK?

He got 25 reps (including three with the first team, in a red-zone period) and completed 6 of 10 passes. Bridgewater is moving around well on that surgically repaired knee — a good sign. Tuesday was the fourth (of 11) spring practices that reporters were allowed to watch. And it was the first time Bridgewater had gotten a first-team rep in those practices. But Jets coach Todd Bowles said we shouldn't read too much into that. 

TUESDAY'S DARNOLD HIGHLIGHTS

Check out the video above to see Darnold in action on Day 1 of minicamp. 

WHAT DARNOLD HAD TO SAY

Before practice, Darnold weighed in on Bowles saying he doesn't often make the same mistake twice. 

"It's huge," Darnold said. "Especially as a young dude coming in here and wanting to learn right away, that's part of the whole learning process — when I do make a mistake, which is going to happen, whether I like it or not, it's going to continue to happen throughout my career. So limiting those mistakes and understanding how I can correct them." 

WHAT TODD BOWLES HAD TO SAY

"It’s a process," Bowles said. "He’s learning. He’s studying. You make some good throws, and you make some bad throws, and that’s what we’re practicing. He made some throws [Tuesday]. Shorts and T-shirts, you can’t tell whether a ball would’ve been broken up, or whether he would’ve been sacked or not. But his learning is outstanding. The process and the steps which he has taken, he’s been very steady, and we’re very pleased with him." 

IS DARNOLD MAKING PROGRESS?

Yes, you can see it daily ... or at least as often as reporters are allowed to watch practice. Again, as Bowles mentioned, it is tough to make sweeping judgment calls off spring practices. But Darnold doesn't look lost out there, as Christian Hackenberg did during his first spring and summer with the Jets. The ball gets out of Darnold's hand quickly. He doesn't repeat mistakes too often. It's a start. 

OVERALL THOUGHTS ON DARNOLD'S PRACTICE TUESDAY

A bunch more action with the starters. Through the four practices (out of 11) that reporters have been allowed to watch in the spring, Darnold now has 29 first-team reps, compared to three for Bridgewater (all on Tuesday). Remember, we weren't allowed to watch seven of the practices. McCown has received all first-team reps, from what we have seen. Darnold continued to look fairly legit out there on Tuesday. There's a big difference between that and winning the starting job over McCown and Bridgewater, though. Darnold did have that near interception, and he has to clean up those inconsistencies. 

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER ...

Just one no-pads spring practice, folks, so don't read too much into any of this stuff. Things will really get cranked up once training camp and preseason games roll around. 

WHAT IS NEXT FOR DARNOLD?

The Jets finish minicamp on Wednesday and Thursday. And then they don't practice again until training camp begins in late July. It'll be up to Darnold to work on his own during the next month and a half. 

Injury update: WR Quincy Enunwa, who sat out last season due to neck surgery, practiced for the first time with a helmet. He didn't participate in team drills, only positional drills, but it's still a significant step for a player coming off a serious neck injury. He won't be in team drills in minicamp, but he's expected to be cleared for training camp, according to Todd Bowles.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

I know players can't work with coaches, etc. but can't the coaches leave them with a playbook and some recommended drills and tasks for the next 5 weeks?  Film review, working with a private QB coach, players organizing their own get-togethers ala Sanchez in southern California?  I could imagine some (or all) of the QBs hanging out a bit and maybe doing some throwing with a couple of the WRs at a college facility.  I dunno.  I guess it's either that or all the Jets run off and we hope we don't see more than 3 arrests by late July???

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Marish is a little wizzle.. if he helps jets get a good draft pick for bridgewater, you know they will give him the keys to the inside info. I bet they made this deal already. We know McCown is starting, darnold waiting in the wings.

I think Darnold has a chance.

Updates from today's minicamp practice

Media was on hand today to watch the Jets' first mandatory minicamp practice. Here's some of the key events:

• Teddy Bridgewater had an impressive day and earned some first team reps;
  • Sam Darnold continues to look comfortable, throwing a long touchdown pass to Robby Anderson and another touchdown to Eric Tomlinson in the red zone portion;
  • David Bass, Josh Martin and Spencer Long were among those seeing action with the first unit;
  • Quincy Enunwa practiced for the first time in front of the media this offseason;
  • Terrelle Pryor is 50-50 to be ready in time for camp;
  • Todd Bowled confirmed that the plan is for Darron Lee to call the defense most of the time;
  • Several players worked out, including Victor Ochi, Courtney Upshaw and Daniel Williams;
  • Over in Oakland, the Raiders have waived Christian Hackenberg already.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I know players can't work with coaches, etc. but can't the coaches leave them with a playbook and some recommended drills and tasks for the next 5 weeks?  Film review, working with a private QB coach, players organizing their own get-togethers ala Sanchez in southern California?  I could imagine some (or all) of the QBs hanging out a bit and maybe doing some throwing with a couple of the WRs at a college facility.  I dunno.  I guess it's either that or all the Jets run off and we hope we don't see more than 3 arrests by late July???

Enter Josh McCown. Darnold can continue working with “coach” McCown. 

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Great problem to have.  Sam is the future, but you have to cheer for Teddy after that horrific injury, he deserves a second chance to start.

This. We shouldnt be in a rush to put Sam Darnold out on the field. The goal is to find a QB, not play Sam Darnold. If Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB on this team then start him, if he plays well enough to keep the job and be considered a Franchise QB (Which is what he was heading toward in Minny) then what difference does it make? 

If Darnold shows-and-proves, the play him. This should be about finding the QB and not putting the rookie on the field. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Wow, Courtney Upshaw is battling for a roster spot?

I remember him being highly debated around these parts during the draft.  That was the year of the pass rusher and we took my boy, Coples over Ingram, Jones, McCellin, Hightower, Mercilus, Nick Perry, Derek Wolf, Andre Branch...loaded.

My 2 favorites??? Upshaw and Coples.  lmfao.  Probably my worst draft predictions ever. 

Fair play to you for owning up to your misses, that’s a rarity and it never ceases to amaze how so many fans can be such experts without actually being employed in the league!

fwiw I got it all wrong in Dion Jordan

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This. We shouldnt be in a rush to put Sam Darnold out on the field. The goal is to find a QB, not play Sam Darnold. If Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB on this team then start him, if he plays well enough to keep the job and be considered a Franchise QB (Which is what he was heading toward in Minny) then what difference does it make? 

If Darnold shows-and-proves, the play him. This should be about finding the QB and not putting the rookie on the field. 

Darnold needs to start. Period. It is the only way he will develop. He has probably shown enough maturity and poise already to just name him the starter. I do not agree with the "best player" or "we will ruin him" nonsense at all. He is our future. Sitting does NOTHING for a QB under the practice rules we have today. Bridgewater is trade bait pure and simple.

45 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Fair play to you for owning up to your misses, that’s a rarity and it never ceases to amaze how so many fans can be such experts without actually being employed in the league!

fwiw I got it all wrong in Dion Jordan

I fell hard and fast for Jarvis Jones while we're discussing pass rusher misses :(.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

We are not rushing Darnold onto the field.  Josh McCown is the starter until Darnold is ready.

Darnold needs to start. Period. It is the only way he will develop. He has probably shown enough maturity and poise already to just name him the starter. I do not agree with the "best player" or "we will ruin him" nonsense at all. He is our future. Sitting does NOTHING for a QB under the practice rules we have today. Bridgewater is trade bait pure and simple.

I have no clue how you would know that from a practice report. To quote a world renowned scholar “ we talkin bout practice “

I want Darnold to succeed as much as anyone, but no way in hell do I trade Bridgewater until I’m damn sure Sam is better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I have no clue how you would know that from a practice report. To quote a world renowned scholar “ we talkin bout practice “

I want Darnold to succeed as much as anyone, but no way in hell do I trade Bridgewater until I’m damn sure Sam is better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bridgewater is irrelevant.  This is Sam Darnold's team.  The Jets have already told you how this is happening.  Josh McCown is the starter and will pass the reigns to Darnold at some point during this season.

Why cant some of you understand this?

The Jets gave up 3 second rounds picks so the "real" fans could watch Josh not lose 2 extra games last year.

If Bridgewater looks like a competent NFL QB in the preseason, he is worth more than a second rounder since he could actually be the reason the team wins games, that is rare for the Jets, and I can't understand why any Jets fan would want to trade him, I think Favre might have been the last QB who willed this team to win and was the reason they won.

If Sam wins the starting job, all bets are off - trade away but if he needs more time;

Who would you rather watch play QB for the Jets, Josh or Teddy?

Archived