July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I wonder if that's even worth it.  Drafting and discussing is the fun part for me.  The voting is going to be interesting because some teams with older players may not get the credit they're due.  I think I'll be interested in creative systems with players that fit them and teams that match up well in certain ways.  There may even be a little rock-paper-scissors thing to it.  Team A may match up well against Team B but be vulnerable to Team C.  But in the end, it's going to be a lot of yelling and whining and we won't be thinking about pre-preseason so it's worth it :)

I was just discussing this with @greenwichjetfan - if we only had 10 teams, then yes... everyone's squad is so loaded, that picking a winner becomes somewhat moot. Either team could win on any given sunday....

At 20+ teams?.... yea, you're gonna see some that were clearly better built than others. Will voters favor post-2000 era players, and is that just being honest?... will a manager's focus on flashy skill players while neglecting of a competent O or D line swing voters against you when they're looking at your opponents dominant lines? 

We'll find out.. but we're just starting here folks. We haven't even gotten out of the Mike Maccagnan rounds yet. (that's an inside joke for you Jet fans)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it starts becoming hard because players you don't expect to go off the board at this point are off. I was gonna pick Tony Boselli thinking he'd be there when I'm up. And he was gone 2 picks before me lol.

I like my team so far though. There are still good players out there.

Plus I'm drafting under the theory that I'm drafting these players at their best. Resume ain't important to me 

QB Warren Moon
RB Eric Dickerson
WR Steve Largent
LB Dick Butkus
DE Richard Dent
DE Jason Taylor

Book Ends and a monster in the middle. While I love moon , I can't help thinking Stabler might have been better on this team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

My picks are in.  I just need to ask.  Did Bob Lilly do something to you guys?  How is he still available?  I had to take my 2nd DT because I could not let him drop any further.  My team is going to have weaknesses, but the middle of my DL with Bob Lilly and Mean Joe is not going to be one of them.

Lilly was actually on my short list, but I decided to build my linebacker corps first -- sexier positions -- and since this is a fantasy exercise, I can't be fired for my decision. :)

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Trying to put the Fearsome Foursome back together?

I would have snapped up Mel Blount in the 3rd round to put behind Greene and Lambert if he'd been there.  And I see Peyton and Marvin are reunited.  There's always a certain magic with that to me.

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

QB Warren Moon
RB Eric Dickerson
WR Steve Largent
LB Dick Butkus
DE Richard Dent
DE Jason Taylor

Book Ends and a monster in the middle. While I love moon , I can't help thinking Stabler might have been better on this team.

Stabler had moxie but I like Moon more in terms of talent and production.  I think you made the right call.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would have snapped up Mel Blount in the 3rd round to put behind Greene and Lambert if he'd been there.  And I see Peyton and Marvin are reunited.  There's always a certain magic with that to me.

Not sure how much I am going to be around this AM.  If you can try to keep the spreadsheet updated this morning, it would be a big help.  I should be available most of the afternoon -- after about 1:00.  If you can't, I will catch up on it when I can.  Thanks

On a related note -- if anyone sends picks to me, I may be unavailable this morning, not sure if/when I will be able to get the picks in.

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure how much I am going to be around this AM.  If you can try to keep the spreadsheet updated this morning, it would be a big help.  I should be available most of the afternoon -- after about 1:00.  If you can't, I will catch up on it when I can.  Thanks

On a related note -- if anyone sends picks to me, I may be unavailable this morning, not sure if/when I will be able to get the picks in.

I'm around.  I can keep an eye on things until then.  I can also handle PM'd picks if someone is worried about missing out.  

Guys...please put names on your picks.  Just photos is cute and all, but as we get deeper into the picks, those entering the data in the spreadsheet don't want to have to look things up to confirm who they are.  Thanks. @UntouchableCrew

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm around.  I can keep an eye on things until then.  I can also handle PM'd picks if someone is worried about missing out.  

Guys...please put names on your picks.  Just photos is cute and all, but as we get deeper into the picks, those entering the data in the spreadsheet don't want to have to look things up to confirm who they are.  Thanks. @UntouchableCrew

Yeah. Names please! I was thrown by that picture of Emmitt Smith -- looked like him sort of, the number was right, but I couldn't figure out at first why he was wearing a Broncos jersey.... then I realized it was Florida and he was in college. Not nice.

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

QB Warren Moon
RB Eric Dickerson
WR Steve Largent
LB Dick Butkus
DE Richard Dent
DE Jason Taylor

Moon and Taylor were great stat guys but shrunk on the big stage in January.  In 9 postseason games Taylor didn't register a single sack and was the leader of a D that lost a playoff game 62-7. Warren Moon started 10 postseason games, was 3-7 and had an INt in all but one of them, 

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I had to do a double-take when I noticed Tony Boselli isn't in the HoF.  That seems wrong.

Great pick on Randy White there.  He's clearly the best DT on the board at this point.

I think he would have been a great pick yesterday when I tried to pick him, I was shocked to still see him there. He was a 7x 1st team all pro. 

So nyjunc tries to take Randy White in the 3rd round, but because he took 2 defensive players, had to throw him back in the pool.  Somehow, White lasts all the way back to junc's pick in the 4th round.  That had to feel good.

Just now, New York Mick said:

Didn’t you just go?

I might have, sorry  I’m at work and losing track a bit trying my best to stay up to date. Not sure what happened since my last picks I’ll be trying to go through the post and catch up 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Didn’t you just go?

We are snaking up now.  King P posted the next 3 teams a few posts back.  I can modify the original post in the picks thread with the full draft order for those who can't see the grid if you want me to.  Let me know.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:19 PM, Lith said:

Startiing Monday at 8AM.  Draft Order:

1    @BallinPB
2    @New York Mick
3    @HawkeyeJet
4    @Paradis
5    @T0mShane
6    @HessStation
7    @Patriot Killa
8    @chirorob
9    @UntouchableCrew
10  @BigO
11  @Bombdirt
12  @nycdan
13  @Jetlife33
14  @Obrien2Toon
15  @XavierSnooze
16  @sourceworx
17  @Jetsfan80
18  @#27TheDominator
19  @Long Island Leprechaun
20  @Dunnie 
21  @Stark
22  @Lupz27 
23  @JiF 
24  @greenwichjetfan

The snake is going down #’s 7, 6, 5 right now if anyone is confused 

Just now, nycdan said:

We are snaking up now.  King P posted the next 3 teams a few posts back.  I can modify the original post in the picks thread with the full draft order for those who can't see the grid if you want me to.  Let me know.

Jetlife already snaked. He doesn’t draft again till 170

Archived