If You Trade Teddy B, Do You Get a QB Back/Sign a QB?

Warfish

Simple question:

Presume the Jets do trade TB.

Do you ask for a QB back as part of the trade (like say, purely as example, the Jets give TB to Denver and get back Lynch and a Pick)?

Do you sign a street FA QB (and who?)

Or do you roll into 2018 with only Darnold (#1) and McCown (#2) and no thrid QB?

This is NOT a trade/don't trade TB thread, every reply should start with the presumption TB IS being traded.  

The question is what to do (or not do) at QB #3 spot.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Simple question:

Do you ask for a QB back as part of the trade (like say, purely as example, the Jets give TB to Denver and get back Lynch and a Pick)?

Or do you roll into 2018 with only Darnold (#1) and McCown (#2) and no thrid QB?

This is NOT a trade/don't trade TB thread, every reply should start with the presumption TB IS being traded.  

Mark Sanchez will be available in October lol. He has 3 rd string qb written all over him these days ha

I think you need someone for the 4th pre-season game and if he is promising put him on the practice squad.  This gives us protection in case McCown or Sam gets hurt, you would have a backup you could activate that already knows the system.  We are going to need a qb next year as Teddy will be gome and there is a good chance McCown will also be gone.

23 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Technically Terrelle Pryor (assuming he makes the team) could operate as the third string QB if the Jets have an emergency and actually need the 3rd guy to play. He couldn't really spend too much time getting practice reps though because they would need him to focus on receiver. 

Good point, never thought of this, sort of like Brad Smith was..

The 3rd QB is probably right around the least of their concerns for 2018. 

Next year they should probably make an effort to land one of the league's better backups. McCown will, once again, be in the mix. 

23 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Why not keep Bridgewater and have Sam learn for a year?

Because it’s fruitless? What’s the best case scenario of starting Teddy if he survives an entire season? Jets squeak out an 8-8 record and then he signs elsewhere and the Jets get zero compensation for him because they’ll be bringing in lots of free agents in the offseason. I’d rather not waste a year of valuable playing time and development for Darnold on a QB that has no future as a Jet. 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because it’s fruitless? What’s the best case scenario of starting Teddy if he survives an entire season? Jets squeak out an 8-8 record and then he signs elsewhere and the Jets get zero compensation for him because they’ll be bringing in lots of free agents in the offseason. I’d rather not waste a year of valuable playing time and development for Darnold on a QB that has no future as a Jet. 

I think Bridgewater gives us the best chance to win this year, unless you want this year to simply be development year where we don’t care about the record. We can resign Bridge, but if a team is willing to offer #1 for him, I say keep him. Darnold can learn for at least a few games. Besides, our OLine sucks

3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I think Bridgewater gives us the best chance to win this year, unless you want this year to simply be development year where we don’t care about the record. We can resign Bridge, but if a team is willing to offer #1 for him, I say keep him. Darnold can learn for at least a few games. Besides, our OLine sucks

The team still lacks many things. It doesn’t have a chance at the playoffs. The best thing they can do is start Sam and let him learn that way. Get something for teddy now and move on. 

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The team still lacks many things. It doesn’t have a chance at the playoffs. The best thing they can do is start Sam and let him learn that way. Get something for teddy now and move on. 

I honestly believe we have a shot at the playoffs this year, despite the crappy OLine. I honestly think Bridgewater can overcome that. If we trade TB, Mac should take nothing less than a #1 from a desperate team

5 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I honestly believe we have a shot at the playoffs this year, despite the crappy OLine. I honestly think Bridgewater can overcome that. If we trade TB, Mac should take nothing less than a #1 from a desperate team

They lack talent on the offensive side of the ball and they aren’t that good on defense either. It’s a far cry from a playoff team. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They lack talent on the offensive side of the ball and they aren’t that good on defense either. It’s a far cry from a playoff team. 

I honestly don’t see us being much worse than Jax last year. We certainly have better QBs

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Trade Teddy back to the Vikings for Kyle Sloter a 3, and another conditional pick. Sloter is supposed to be pretty solid. 

I have loved Sloter since before the draft. He is a sleeper future starter in the NFL.

People will bash me but I would pull a Buffalo.

I would trade Leo, Adams, and Bridgewater before the start of the season.

I think none of them including Adams are long terms building blocks and all have real value.

Get a pick, LT. QB or even Mack.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have loved Sloter since before the draft. He is a sleeper future starter in the NFL.

People will bash me but I would pull a Buffalo.

I would trade Leo, Adams, and Bridgewater before the start of the season.

I think none of them including Adams are long terms building blocks and all have real value.

Get a pick, LT. QB or even Mack.

Jamal Adams for Mack? If Macc can pull that off I may just change my mind about him.

Meanwhile back in the real world no way Adams or Leo are going anywhere. TB can and should be traded IMO. I would love to get a 2 for him and seeing how much QB's are valued in this League that is not out of the realm of possibility. I do not think they could get a 1 for him at all much less a 1 plus more picks. A 2 for TB would work nicely IMO and everyone is happy. With the depth of OL in next years draft you need to take a guy with one of your early picks. Having that 2 is crucial. The Jets need to acquire a second rounder for the upcoming draft. Trading TB may just be able to make that happen.

10 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Technically Terrelle Pryor (assuming he makes the team) could operate as the third string QB if the Jets have an emergency and actually need the 3rd guy to play. He couldn't really spend too much time getting practice reps though because they would need him to focus on receiver. 

That never occurred to me, good thinking here

The right (or wrong) things occur and there you are. Gotta be better than Kerley or Powell as an emergency QB in any event

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Simple question:

Why on earth would we ask for a lesser QB and a crapshoot round draft pick?

Archived