News flash on draft kings: Josh Gordon to be Released

Rolloffjet

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

They have been more than patient with him and this latest offseason they were bending over backwards for him too straighten his act out. He has been a problem child since before he was drafted.

Some players never learn and he's one of them, just like Justin Blackmon. I don't want him anywhere near our lockerroom, not only because he is a problem child, but because we have a head coach who has a proven track record of not being able to handle these types of players.

Exactly. 

I don't know much about substance abuse, so I could be way off base here, but in my opinion, if Josh Gordon is serious about getting his life together, he would take a step away from football for a while and get himself straight.  Whether that takes a few months, a year or two, who knows.  The guy appears to have serious substance abuse issues, which have been ongoing for quitee some time and needs to get that addressed if he can, before he should think about football.  Hopefully someday he can get himself straightened out and think about a return to the NFL.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, K Clue said:

He becomes a free agent if he's released. Also, he does still have the potential to be a true number 1 receiver, so that alone is worth to give him a shot, especially if they can get him on a decently cheap one year deal, so he can have a chance to prove himself.

The Browns did exactly what you posted this year and now they're cutting him after one week.

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He’ll fit right in in New England. 

NE is probably the best place for him honestly. the browns have been such a joke that he never really got a dose of any real discipline. I could see gruden trying to take him under his wing too, although they probably don’t have room for him and martavis bryant

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Hell...I forgot McCown probably knows Gordon too.  He'd be a perfect sounding board for the Jets to ask re: Gordon and his ability to be rehabilitated 

Great point. My gut tells me that there HAS to be a lot more to this story.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly. 

I don't know much about substance abuse, so I could be way off base here, but in my opinion, if Josh Gordon is serious about getting his life together, he would take a step away from football for a while and get himself straight.  Whether that takes a few months, a year or two, who knows.  The guy appears to have serious substance abuse issues, which have been ongoing for quitee some time and needs to get that addressed if he can, before he should think about football.  Hopefully someday he can get himself straightened out and think about a return to the NFL.

this...   it's fairly phukking mercenary to talking about cheap one yr prove it deals when the guy is in free-fall.

'ave a heart

5 minutes ago, K Clue said:

So, what's wrong if the Jets do the same? They lose nothing if they can get him to sign a similar deal. Its low risk high reward. 

I already answered this in a few posts above. Too sum them up, a leopard never changes his spots. All the next chances in the world will not change this leopard. Some people can learn from their mistakes and build upon them to become better, he's not one of them. 

on a serious note - if it's genuinely not substance related, then it's just a odd decision to NOW decide you're moving on. Everything they've tolerated and now this is the reason? Trust issues?... 

I dunno. I love Gordon's talent, and every interview makes you want to cheer for him... but man. The disappointment seems to be endless. 

Just now, Paradis said:

on a serious note - if it's genuinely not substance related, then it's just a odd decision to NOW decide you're moving on. Everything they've tolerated and now this is the reason? Trust issues?... 

I dunno. I love Gordon's talent, and every interview makes you want to cheer for him... but man. The disappointment seems to be endless. 

That's called reading between the lines.

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly. 

I don't know much about substance abuse, so I could be way off base here, but in my opinion, if Josh Gordon is serious about getting his life together, he would take a step away from football for a while and get himself straight.  Whether that takes a few months, a year or two, who knows.  The guy appears to have serious substance abuse issues and needs to get that addressed if he can before he should think about football.  Hopefully someday he can get himself straightened out and think about a return to the NFL.

Not sure what he's got regarding personal conduct policy

if he loses most of that 790K by walking away ... That is a tough decision for him to make ... Especially someone battling demons ... On what likely would be his last payday

NEW ORLEANS -- The Browns are finally parting ways with troubled receiver Josh Gordon after he showed up late to the facility on Saturday morning and was "not himself," league sources told cleveland.com.

They're releasing him on Monday and finally closing the book on the long saga of substance abuse, suspensions, multiple chances and redemption.

When Gordon did show up at the Browns facility on Saturday "a little tardy,'' according to one of the sources, he complained of a pulled hamstring, but he was fine in practice on Friday, a league source told cleveland.com.

Team doctors examined him, and in addition to the tweaked hamstring, there was concern that perhaps he was struggling again with his sobriety or on the verge of relapsing, sources said.

He was told to stay home from the team's trip to New Orleans for Sunday's game against the Saints, and was upset about it, one of the sources told cleveland.com. The source surmised Gordon was mad because he felt he had let down the team with the hamstring.

Gordon posted an Instagram story of himself working out during the shoot at the Browns' facility.

A source told cleveland.com that the mysterious hamstring pull was an issue, but that trust was the bigger factor with one Gordon, and that the Browns felt they couldn't rely on him from a sobriety standpoint. 

Gordon, 27, has been suspended for 56 of a possible 97 games in his Browns career and has only played in 11 games since the end of 2014.

21 minutes ago, RobR said:

I already answered this in a few posts above. Too sum them up, a leopard never changes his spots. All the next chances in the world will not change this leopard. Some people can learn from their mistakes and build upon them to become better, he's not one of them. 

I see what you mean, but I disagree I would like to see him get another chance to play for a different team, because who knows maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I know it sounds cliche, but sometimes that all someone needs to help them change for the better.

Edit- Just read some of the last couple posts. If that's true that he was high then I say stay away from him. Really hope it's not true though! 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

NEW ORLEANS -- Gordon, 27, has been suspended for 56 of a possible 97 games in his Browns career and has only played in 11 games since the end of 2014.

That is an INSANE stat. All for that dangerous substance/performance enhancer known as cannabis, or something worse?   

Gordon has not yet explained the specific reasons for his absence from training camp, but Adam Schefter reported that Gordon “was seeking additional counseling to deal with his mental health and anxiety” during the three-plus weeks he’s been out. Fellow and former Browns receivers have done their part to fill in the news gap during Gordon’s absence: Jarvis Landry has been chewing out the position group and starting fights with defensive backs; rookie Antonio Calloway was cited for marijuana possession and punished with extra preseason reps; third year receiver Corey Coleman had the good sense to engineer his way out of town. Only the Browns could view the return of a receiver who’s been suspended five times for substance abuse and needed a mental health break before the start of training camp as an infusion of talent 

This guy is actually really nuts 

I don't think it would be productive to sign him 

Archived