What are we going to do with Spencer Long?

DRJETS

1 minute ago, DRJETS said:

By far the worst Center for the Jets in a very long time.  All his low snap at best I'm counting it as  a sack.   I'm not looking forward for this garbage for the next four years. 

Ease up there Dr! The Jets have been blessed with having Mangold for a decade..... you've been spoiled. 

Long definitely better than the STIFF we had last year! I give long a grade of "C" so far with the expectation that as the unit jells, he will rise to a "B" grade.

5 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

By far the worst Center for the Jets in a very long time.  All his low snap at best I'm counting it as  a sack.   I'm not looking forward for this garbage for the next four years. 

Did you somehow forget about Wesley Johnson? He was so bad that I couldn’t believe it. Spencer Long has been fine blocking but the snaps are a HUGE issue and I’d be happy to move him to guard or move on.

He apparently has a hand injury which may be impacting his snaps so let’s see if this continues before we all jump off a ledge. 

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ease up there Dr! The Jets have been blessed with having Mangold for a decade..... you've been spoiled. 

Long definitely better than the STIFF we had last year! I give long a grade of "C" so far with the expectation that as the unit jells, he will rise to a "B" grade.

And Mawae before Mangold.  You might be right at that position we had been spoiled in the past but this guy have a chance to kill our young Franchise QB.  That INT yesterday was all on him.  It is every single freaking week at least 5 bad snap not only disrupt the timing but could get the QB injured.  At this point I'm just rooting please let it be a good snap. 

Well we've got the USC guy on the PS. He is familiar with Sam to say the least. They could always activate him if this doesn't get fixed (and it probably will get fixed) and use Long as a guard, etc. He can block he just as of recently is a bad snapper. 

I don't think Long will turn out to be the answer at Center and I think the Jets would do well to look for an upgrade at the position in the draft and free agency next year.

Having said that, Long isn't a total washout as the starting C and they're probably better off keeping him around as insurance in case they don't find that guy. And if they do he could be an interesting option to convert to a guard.

25 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Worse than Johnson?  I don't think so.  And he has a hand injury.  Take a deep breath.  It should get better.  But I would like to see us draft a Center.

3 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I don't think Long will turn out to be the answer at Center and I think the Jets would do well to look for an upgrade at the position in the draft and free agency next year.

Having said that, Long isn't a total washout as the starting C and they're probably better off keeping him around as insurance in case they don't find that guy. And if they do he could be an interesting option to convert to a guard.

This.

Me thinks that Macc will draft a center this year. There were a couple of decent prospects in this year's 2nd round ,but we didn't have a pick of course...what am i thinking, Macc would've drafted another safety, lol.

44 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Did you somehow forget about Wesley Johnson? He was so bad that I couldn’t believe it. Spencer Long has been fine blocking but the snaps are a HUGE issue and I’d be happy to move him to guard or move on.

He apparently has a hand injury which may be impacting his snaps so let’s see if this continues before we all jump off a ledge. 

Johnson was bad but the Jets were 3-3 at this point in large part thanks to the offense. If you're killing a half a dozen + plays a game because you cant snap the ball, then you really have no point being in the game.  That can totally kill a game if their untimely vs. a better opponent.  That said, Long isnt/wasnt ever good so this shouldnt be too much of a shock.  OL has been playing well despite the fact but it needs to be a priority next offseason.

Just now, JiF said:

Johnson was bad but the Jets were 3-3 at this point in large part thanks to the offense. If you're killing a half a dozen + plays a game, then you really have no point being in the game. That said, Long isnt/wasnt ever good so this shouldnt be too much of a shock.  OL has been playing well despite the fact but it needs to be a priority next offseason.

LT to me is the bigger priority

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Johnson was bad but the Jets were 3-3 at this point in large part thanks to the offense. If you're killing a half a dozen + plays a game, then you really have no point being in the game. That said, Long isnt/wasnt ever good so this shouldnt be too much of a shock.  OL has been playing well despite the fact but it needs to be a priority next offseason.

Killing that 3rd down was rough yesterday. I just hope it’s due to injury and because our depth is worthless so they’d rather keep him in. 

55 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

He has a broken finger... Geez... He is not worse then Johnson last year... In fact, he is miles better.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, regarding the "4 years", Long is signed for 4 years, but I think he got $6M in guarantees and makes $5M this season.  I don't think they have more than $1M in dead money if they move on from him at any time after this season. 

We can cut him next year if we were able to upgrade. I think he can be a great backup at his price and cover the entire interior. Make Beachum the backup for both LT/RT and viola, we have excellent depth with starting caliber backups. This also leave space for 1-2 developmental offensive lineman as backups.

If our rookie(s) for starting LT/C don’t work out or take a while to develop,our “backups” can start like they were doing all along. Long and Beachum can be serviceable starters for this year and great backups next year with all of our cap space. Turn a weakness (our o-line), into a strength. 

I can dream. 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

LT to me is the bigger priority

I dont think there's a position on the OL that couldnt be upgraded, that said, over the last 2 weeks Beachum has been solid vs. very good pass rushing teams while Long has probably killed a dozen +/- plays with bad snaps.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived