Baker Mayfield says Browns should have drafted Pat Mahomes instead of Myles Garrett in 2017

Patriot Killa

Browns’ Baker Mayfield says Patrick Mahomes, not Myles Garrett, should have been No. 1 pick in 2017

The Cleveland Browns had the No. 1 pick in the 2017 draft, as they are wont to do, and they used it on Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett. The move has seemingly paid off so far: Garrett fought through injuries to register seven sacks over 11 games last season and is tied for second in the NFL with eight sacks in eight games this season.

The Kansas City Chiefs, meanwhile, traded three picks — first- and third-round picks in 2017 and a first-round selection in 2018 — to the Buffalo Bills for the right to move up 17 spots to select quarterback Patrick Mahomes with the No. 10 selection that year. In case you haven’t noticed, this has worked out extremely well.

On Wednesday, Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield — himself a No. 1 pick in 2018 — was asked his thoughts about all of that ahead of Cleveland’s game on Sunday against the Chiefs, when all three players will be on the field.

The Browns locker room was probably awkward enough this week considering Monday’s firings of Coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Mayfield perhaps added a few notches to that.

Anyway, maybe this can be chalked up to familiarity rather than any sort of shade. Mayfield and Mahomes squared off twice when the former was at Oklahoma and the latter was at Texas Tech. In the second game, a ludicrous 66-59 Sooners victory on Oct. 22, 2016, the two teams combined for 1,708 yards, which broke the previous record by more than 60 yards. Mahomes threw the ball 88 times for 734 yards and five scores while also rushing for 85 yards and two touchdowns. Mayfield, who started his college career at Texas Tech before transferring to Oklahoma, had 545 passing yards and seven touchdown passes.

“That one was a little different,” Lincoln Riley, then Oklahoma’s offensive coordinator and now its head coach, told The Post’s Adam Kilgore. “You could tell there wasn’t any people playing the position at a higher level than those two.”

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, King P said:

No, they should have drafted Myles Garrett with the #1 pick, then stayed at 12 and took Deshaun Watson

This^

In fact, they could of taken Barkley #1 and still got Mayfield.

but aside from what they should have done, Baker is making it awkward to be in the same room as Myles. Myles can’t like that.

You don’t think they trade down instead? They seemed genuinely all in on Eli

No, Darnold was next man up. I mean we’ll never know for 100% certainly, but sources, stories etc etc all supported this. Makes sense too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not like this tho. Guy has to be a little smarter with his words.

To add to my post.. 

I guess he was trying to show the “upmost” respect to Mahomes but damn he didn’t have to throw Myles in there lololol...idk I just feel like there were a million and one different ways to show respect.

baker knows better 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

To add to my post.. 

I guess he was trying to show the “upmost” respect to Mahomes but damn he didn’t have to throw Myles in there lololol...idk I just feel like there were a million and one different ways to show respect.

baker knows better 

Sure about that?

Archived