Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Good post.

Whets most exciting is McCarthy checks every one of the boxes we need.
He’s won, he’s developed a great, worked with two great QB’s, focuses on offense and been consistent over a long period of time.

The only knock on him is he ONLY won 1 supeebowl and been to 4 NFC Championships with a very good QB.

With lucking into Darnold and now this guy happens to be free. Things are finally falling our way That’s back to back hugely lucky things happening.
Get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

agreed. finally some momentum in our direction...finally.  First time in 20 years.

Despite what some claim the Jets job is very appealing. Yes Cleveland has more talent currently and they finally have a QB, I think most feel Sam will be the best one especially when the kid finally gets protection/talent around him. Plus he is mentally tough and isnt a diva.  

A question to all of you who are proposing these  prospective "superstar coaching trios",  including McCarthy and any two of the hottest coordinator prospects coming into play this offseason?   Prospects who have previously been highly paid college coaches and/or coordinators who aspire to rise to the status  of NFL head coaches now.  How much do you think these "dream teams"  of football minds is going to cost?  Do you really think the Johnsons are going to commit in the neighborhood of 15 million dollars annually to the paid salaries of the Head Coach and his two top assistants.  I don't.

Looks like I was wrong. I thought the Jets wanted Monken or Kingsbury. I’d still rather swing for the fences with them, then McCarthy. I dont hate McCarthy...but I’m excited about it. I think he peaked as a coach.

Hopefully they get Monken or Kingsbury as an OC/HC in waiting.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Looks like I was wrong. I thought the Jets wanted Monken or Kingsbury. I’d still rather swing for the fences with them, then McCarthy. I dont hate McCarthy...but I’m excited about it. I think he peaked as a coach.

Hopefully they get Monken or Kingsbury as an OC/HC in waiting.

If "peaking as a coach" is one Super Bowl in 12 years, you take that ANY DAY...who are we kidding here?

9 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Manish was the jackass saying that Matt Campbell was the perfect candidate.

McCarthy isn’t perfect, but I don’t even see how it’s debatable as to who the best veteran coach on the market is. It’s him. 

Guys like Mike Shanahan and the Harbaugh boys were always pipe dreams.

After two decades of hiring these hot coordinators I’m ready for a retread approach.

Either bring in McCarthy or really show some balls and take a chance on Rhule.

This will be a good hire IF McCarthy is in the process of "freshening up"
his offense.  He's got to be ready to incorporate the college concepts
into his offense and look to hire a staff to implement it.  Joe Philbin
and Ben McAdoo just ain't going to cut it

I think it's reasonable to say McCarthy isn't necessarily an exciting candidate, while at the same time being a candidate most shouldn't be upset with if it goes that way.
He'd be the best Jets coach since Parcells by a country mile. Insert jokes about our coaches since then, but the bottom line is McCarthy is a good coach.  Maybe not a great one, or a franchise changing one, and I can appreciate that side of the debate.

He’ll be hungry after getting the boot before the end of the season in GB

No. I wouldn’t hate the hire. But I wouldn’t love it.
His offense became stale and old. We need to be ahead of the curve, not behind it.
I do think he’d be able to develop Darnold. My concern is the offense would be limited.
Another concern is his coaching staff hires, which have historically been very poor.
We shall see. 

I hear you. I also saw an org that didnt give his coach any other offensive tools. Name any of their offensive players other than Aaron and Cobb.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mehta is a bitch.

He's right. This board is so up their own butts, convinced that we need the opposite of Bowles that all they can see is McCarthy's history and not really dispassionately look at what he is and how that meshes with the current NFL. It doesnt in a big way, and if the Jets are dumb enough to hire this dinosaur we will all be discussing the next head coach in 4 years. Worst possible HC hire by a long shot.

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Yeah that's the biggest thing with hiring McCarthy. He's gotta update his game. He was very conservative as a HC and even his players came out and said he was too conservative with having leads which was a big thing we had against Bowles. He's gotta do what Andy Reid did and modernize his offense or hire a good OC or else it's not the best move. 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is willing to do that. He is ultra conservative, stubborn and does not adapt. He is the offensive Todd Bowles that had Rodgers as a deodorant.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Am I alone in not wanting McCarty?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No....I’m not as overly enthused as everyone else seems to be but if they go down that route I’ll get behind it. He’s no Bill Parcells but then Parcells didn’t hang around very long and kind of left us in the lurch having failed to see the job through....so there’s that

15 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Despite what some claim the Jets job is very appealing. Yes Cleveland has more talent currently and they finally have a QB, I think most feel Sam will be the best one especially when the kid finally gets protection/talent around him. Plus he is mentally tough and isnt a diva.  

I have to admit I was wrong about the jets job 

I thought the ownership situation and the overall roster and maccagnan status would be big turn offs 

Turns out having a 21 year old QB with size, brains, accuracy, zip, awareness and mobility matters a little more 

Archived