Packers hire LaFleur

slowmoe57

Matt LaFleur reportedly to become new Green Bay Packers head coach

The Green Bay Packers will hire Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur as their new head coach, according to a report by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Rob Demovsky first reported that the Packers offered the head coaching job to the first-year Titans offensive coordinator.

LaFleur, 39, coordinated a Titans offense that was 25th in total yards per game (312.4) and 27th in total points per game (19.4) in 2018. He had to design game plans around the nerve injuries of quarterback Marcus Mariota as well as the season-long absence of tight end Delanie Walker.

LaFluer was hired by Titans coach Mike Vrabel in February after a stellar 2017 season as the offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams broke out as an offense that season, turning the league's worst scoring offense from the year prior into the league's highest scoring team.

It has been a quick climb for LaFleur, who was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach in 2015 and 2016 after a year at Notre Dame.

FROM LAST WEEK: Packers to interview Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur

JOE REXRODE: Mariota whisperer? Titans hope Matt LaFleur's rapid rise continues

MATT LAFLEUR'S OFFENSIVE SCHEME: Exploring Matt LaFleur's Titans offense: 'You've got to be yourself'

38 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The ONLY way CB.

Clearly not my friend. :) 

I think they jumped the gun actually .  Let's see, GrenBay fires a long time successful coach mid season and then hires Lefluer???  If this happened here there would be a mutiny. Seems like GB may be slipping a bit to me. 

I think this showed that Green Bay assessed who was going to be available, decided who they wanted  and then focused their recruitment on LaFleur.

This is opposed to interviewing a good portion of the NFL and College coaches in America and then bumbling around figuring out who you want to hire, after attempting to hire someone who realistically would never accept your offer.  

54 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think they jumped the gun actually .  Let's see, GrenBay fires a long time successful coach mid season and then hires Lefluer???  If this happened here there would be a mutiny. Seems like GB may be slipping a bit to me. 

Or McCarthy isn't that good of a coach. Not sure why some of you are refusing to see that possiblity.

Cards going with Kingsbury, not McCarthy

Bucs going with Arians, not McCarthy

Packers fired McCarthy for LaFleur

Broncos look like they are going for munchack or fangio, not McCarthy

Has anyone interviewed McCarthy besides the Jets who seemed to just interview everyone?

Does that not tell you guys anything?

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Or McCarthy isn't that good of a coach. Not sure why some of you are refusing to see that possiblity.

Has anyone interviewed McCarthy besides the Jets who seemed to just interview everyone?

This guy gets it

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cards - no one wants that job including McCarthy

Bucs - Arians wanted that job 

Packers - Rodgers is a diva

Broncos - Case Keenum is their qb why would McCarthy want to go there 

Browns have an interview with McCarthy scheduled

Apparently the Browns don't want him either. Just saw they cancelled their interview.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Surprised a little bit. Everything I heard about the Pack was the importance of a coach that could deal with Rodgers and that's why McDaniels and Gase were mentioned because of their experience coaching Brady and Manning 

I do not think it is the smartest thing to take a year off after you have been fired IN SEASON.  Take the offer that is out there.

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

LaFleur may be good.  He was throttled by a suckful QB in Tennessee

49 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cards - no one wants that job including McCarthy

Bucs - Arians wanted that job 

Packers - Rodgers is a diva

Broncos - Case Keenum is their qb why would McCarthy want to go there 

Browns have an interview with McCarthy scheduled

Sorry, but still no one, besides the Jets, have interviewed McCarthy. That doesn't tell you anything? If he was the best candidate out there teams would be falling over themselves to get him in and lock him up before they  left the building. Instead, everyone is fine letting him just float around out there. 

Again,  you are one of those comfort food guys. You know McCarthy. You heard the idiots on TV say how great he is because the idiots on TV say that about every coach that once won a SB. That doesn't actually  make him a great coach. 

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about McCarthy because Aaron Rodgers is so great.  The problem in GB was that Rodgers became almost impossible to work with and usurped the authority of the HC to the point where the team started drowning him out and the respect went out the window.  Once that happens, even the best of coaches is doomed.  McCarthy is the best and most qualified coach to be available in a long time and the Jets would be lucky to get him IMO.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sorry, but still no one, besides the Jets, have interviewed McCarthy. That doesn't tell you anything? If he was the best candidate out there teams would be falling over themselves to get him in and lock him up before they  left the building. Instead, everyone is fine letting him just float around out there. 

Again,  you are one of those comfort food guys. You know McCarthy. You heard the idiots on TV say how great he is because the idiots on TV say that about every coach that once won a SB. That doesn't actually  make him a great coach. 

No one else interviewed Lefluer or Arians either.  Only the Jets and Cards reached out to Kingsbury. did anyone else request an interview with  Eberflus other than the browns?  Josh McDaniels?  Richard only has cards and Jets. Caldwell has two teams. Who is interested in Monken? 

This logic is not that strong actually. It seems guys are shooting in one direction or another.  Seems the coach with the most interest was actually McCarthy with 3 teams requesting interviews. That's what I've seen anyway. 

24 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about McCarthy because Aaron Rodgers is so great.  The problem in GB was that Rodgers became almost impossible to work with and usurped the authority of the HC to the point where the team started drowning him out and the respect went out the window.  Once that happens, even the best of coaches is doomed.  McCarthy is the best and most qualified coach to be available in a long time and the Jets would be lucky to get him IMO.

Right. While there are obviously aspects that someone may not like about McCarthy, he is clearly the strongest candidate out there. There's no real legitimate debate about that. All warts included. 

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Potentially. I just prefer actual body of work as opposed to an excuse, as potentially legit as it may be. 

he probably aced his interview.  Jets are always looking for someone to knock their socks off, because they never really know what they want or who they are

8 hours ago, jack48 said:

he probably aced his interview.  Jets are always looking for someone to knock their socks off, because they never really know what they want or who they are

Meh,  I'm not so sure. It looks to me like they had a plan snd they are implementing it. Not to say its going 100% according to plan, but they are moving forward the way a true high level executive hire should be. 

I hear ya on LaFleur but once again, I'd rather an actual body of work. There are people who interview very well out there and blow balls in actual application. 

So, the D in GB cost them a bunch of games these past 2 seasons. The answer? Fire the offensive HC and make the new offensive HC retain the DC. Yeah, that makes sense. Who's running things over there anyway? Was the post Ron Wolf brain drain completed after Ted Thompson retired?

On 1/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It tells me McCarthy really likes Sam Darnold 

When McCarthy become the first nfl Head Coach to win a Super Bowl with 2 teams, something Parcells, Walsh, Belichick, Jimmy Johnson never did...

I shall be bumping threads

Archived