NYJ path to offensive line correction lies on the left

NYJets8

The New York Jets path to correcting the offensive line lies completely on the left due to skill, salary-cap details, and age.

In 2018, the New York Jets active roster offensive line collected a grand total $26,982,145. This lofty number ranked 11th in the NFL. The average cap dollar for each offensive lineman on the roster represented $3,372,768, good enough for eighth in the entire league.

Witch such dough handed to the big heavies up front, at least a “good” performance should be expected.

Instead, free runners, false starts, and plenty of Sam Darnold running-for-his-life moments plagued his entire rookie campaign.

Enough with the patchwork. Stop it already with the free agent road. The offensive line accounts for nearly half of the entire offense (five of 11) and thrives off competition during those all-too-crucial August days.

Yet Mike Maccagnan has drafted a mere two offensive linemen over the course of 28 total draft picks (both of whom represent fifth-round selections).

There is an appropriate way to fix it this offseason (akin to the last two offseasons). The Jets top executive simply needs to go out and make it priority number one. He must understand it always starts up front. It’s time he realizes the offensive line lifts the play of every offensive player that plays in conjunction.

The road to fixing the New York Jets offensive line lies on the left side.

Kelvin Beachum Can't Play Left Tackle

Kelvin Beachum represents the team’s most consistent linemen. This doesn’t mean he’s safe. In fact, when taking everything into account—salary cap, age, production—he must be moved.

First and foremost, this is left tackle. This is the position that needs to contain a decade-long youngster who protects Sam Darnold’sback. Beachum is equipped with one remaining year on his initial three-year, $24 million deal signed during the 2017 offseason.

New York Jets

Frighteningly, the teams Beachum leaves generally improve the very next season. In 2016, the Jacksonville Jaguars ranked in the 20s in terms of rushing. With Beachum gone and Cam Robinson in (with a relatively similar offensive line other than the right guard, the below-average Patrick Omameh), the Jags skyrocketed to first. Leonard Fournette helped the cause, no doubt, but he didn’t even amass 50 percent of the total rushing output.

He’s can’t play left tackle for a dominant NFL offensive line.

New York would save $8 million by cutting the ordinary tackle pre-June 1.

Cutting Beachum while making sure that decade-long youngster is secured in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft is the most critical aspect of remaking the O-line.

The other option is keeping Beachum on the roster and having him fight for the right tackle spot during the summer.

Brian Winters & Brandon Shell Remain

It’s pretty obvious why Brandon Shell remains on the roster while Kelvin Beachum finds himself unemployed, but we’ll shout it anyway. The former is 26-years-old and still on his rookie deal while Beachum will be 30 by the time camp opens. Again, Beachum could remain on the roster and snag that right tackle spot if good enough, but it should only go down that way if the Jets don’t need the cap space.

Winters, 27, is the de facto individual of the group. Unspectacular in many ways, the Jets draftee comes equipped with two years remaining on his massive, rough deal. If the Jets decided to move on, they would save $6.5 million.

The reason Winters should remain safe is drilled down to one specific (Spencer Long) reason.

Take The Hit With Spencer Long

We already know James Carpenter is gone. Once upon a time, the former Seattle Seahawks world champ accounted for one of Mike Maccagnan’s sneakiest free agent pickups. These days, the man simply cannot stay healthy.

Carpenter, who’ll be 30 by this summer, is at the end of the road. He will be a free agent this offseason and under no circumstances should be re-signed.

Spencer Long is the name that makes things tricky.

Much like Winters, Long’s contract is a major hindrance. Graciously accepting a four-year, $27.5 million deal last offseason, Long is signed through the 2021 season. Smartly, Maccagnan overpaid on the average salary to ensure the guaranteed money remained relatively low, allowing for flexibility in a pinch.

Long’s total guaranteed money only nets $6.5 million over the four years. Should the Jets move on this offseason, they’ll actually save $6.5 million, meaning they’re in the same boat with Long and Winters. To me, it’s easy which one to ditch. Though Winters disappointed this past season, his ceiling is levels higher than the former Washington Redksin modern-hog.

To recap, Carpenter is already gone and his ditched salary is already included in the $93,837,909 total cap space, via Over The Cap. The potential cuts of Beachum and Long would save an additional $14.5 million. Should Beachum remain to battle it out with Shell and Long only go, $6.5 million would be cleared.

In an ideal world, all five of these big heavies would be replaced in one fell swoop. That reality is a tough one to conjure up, however.

Jonah Williams (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

A First-Round Tackle & Second or Third-Round Guard/Center

There are two routes Maccagnan can go in the first round if he does the right thing in free agency (which means snagging two stud edge players, i.e. Demarcus Lawrence, Brandon Graham, Trey Flowers). He can stay at three and draft Alabaham’s Jonah Williams or Ole’ Miss’ Greg Little, or he can trade back, collect assets and still draft one of those two tackles or snag Florida’s Jawaan Taylor or Wisconsin’s David Edwards (or perhaps Kansas State’s Dalton Risner if they feel he’s not a guard at the big-boy level).

In my world, I’m not messing around. I’d only trade back, at most, 10 spots and only if I’m ensured one of the top four (Williams, Little, Taylor, or Edwards). Should Williams and Little separate themselves from Taylor and Edwards, I’d make sure my next left tackle will be one of the two formers.

Forcing the left tackle issue in round one is crucial. There are no answers at this position in free agency. There never are. With young Darnold in the house, it starts at left tackle.

Trading down could fetch them a second rounder that could be used on a much-needed guard or center. Or, at the very worst, the third rounder is there to double-down along the unit.

Guards and centers to look out for between the second (if the Jets acquire that round) and fourth round are Florida’s Martez Ivey, Mississippi State’s Darryl Williams, Wisconsin’s Beau Benzschawel, Penn State’s Connor McGovern, Boston College’s Chris Lindstrom, LSU’s Garrett Brumfield, Texas A&M’s Erik McCoy, Mississippi State’s Elgton Jenkins, Stanford’s Jesse Burkett, North Carolina State’s Garrett Bradbury, Oklahoma’s Cody Ford, or the aforementioned Risner who may each make the transition from outside to the interior.

Elite Access

Right now, McGovern is my guy, a Penn State product who can play both guard and center. His stock is quickly rising which may spell doom for a third or even second-round projection, but he’s the gold standard right now—the perfect turnout.

Truthfully, I’d draft a left tackle, guard and center all within the first five rounds of the draft to make up for ill-conceived personnel ideas in year’s past, but we’ll play it conservatively.

Sign Center Matt Paradis

Trent Brown doesn’t excite me. Any offensive lineman who loses Dante Scarnecchia is never a good fantastic gamble. Roger Saffold is 31-years-old. Twenty-nine-year-old center Matt Paradis is a nice thought.

Paradis suffered a fractured fibula after playing just nine games in 2018. Prior, he played 16 games from 2014 through 2017 after sitting out his rookie campaign. Only a sixth-round draft selection, Paradis isn’t exciting on the surface, but hey, nothing is along the O-line in free agency. That’s why it’s crucial to always have an influx of young talent every year via the bloodline, the draft.

Prior to his season-ending injury, Pro Football Focus ranked the free agent center within the top three at the position. He’s allowed just one sack over the last two seasons (hello Spencer Long).

The ideal situation would see New York draft three offensive linemen. That’s just not realistic and offers little flexibility. Instead, throw money at two edge rushers, sign Paradis and go into the draft needing that left tackle and another interior guy while scouring the pool for a wide receiver and corner.

The Jets 2019 Offensive Line

• Left Tackle: Jonah Williams (No. 3 overall pick or first round via trading back)
  • Left Guard: Connor McGovern (Round 3)
  • Center: Matt Paradis (Free Agency)
  • Right Guard: Brian Winters
  • Right Tackle: Brandon Shell (with the option of Kelvin Beachum competing

What’s beautiful about this specific free agency and draft is that the puzzle pieces fit exactly what the Jets need: edge and O-line. The only thing left to be done is to actually take action.

Aggressively pursue two edge defenders and then load up on O-line in the draft. Mike Maccagnan, the Dunkin Donuts coffee man, has been addicted to caffeine yet allergic to drafting offensive linemen. If he fails to swallow a Zyrtec prior to the 2019 NFL Draft, Sam Darnold will quickly turn into the next Andrew Luck caution story.

No more messing around. It’s time to secure the house.

One of the keys to this offseason is bringing in Matt Paradis. The one thing we learned with Mawae and Mangold is that a great center is one of the most important pieces to a good Oline. 

While Paradis is no Mangold, he is far and away better than Long. Brandon Shell is slowly becoming a very solid RT and Winters is a solid RG. Fixing the Left side of the line will be a little trickier. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

One of the keys to this offseason is bringing in Matt Paradis. The one thing we learned with Mawae and Mangold is that a great center is one of the most important pieces to a good Oline. 

While Paradis is no Mangold, he is far and away better than Long. Brandon Shell is slowly becoming a very solid RT and Winters is a solid RG. Fixing the Left side of the line will be a little trickier. 

Agreed.  I think Paradis is the most important target for the Jets in FA.  More than a pass rusher, more than Bell, etc. getting Matt Paradis anchors the entire rebuild on the OLine.

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

How much longer does Paradis have left in the tank? He is going to be 30 and getting his pay day. Mangold became pretty average once he hit 30. 

Mawae made pro bowls in his late 30s. 

Mangold played 164 games. Paradis has only played 57. 

I think each situation is a little different. Paradis was playing at a very high level before getting hurt. He'll likely get a 5 year deal which isn't terrible if it is structured in a way that we can get out of it for cheap in the last year or 2. 

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Stefen Wiesnewski may very well be a cap casualty for the Eagles, and would be worth a look at G.

We also need to find casualties of new blocking schemes that we may be able to trade a late round pick for. Same thing goes for defensive schemes changing and targeting those players too. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mawae made pro bowls in his late 30s. 

Mangold played 164 games. Paradis has only played 57. 

I think each situation is a little different. Paradis was playing at a very high level before getting hurt. He'll likely get a 5 year deal which isn't terrible if it is structured in a way that we can get out of it for cheap in the last year or 2. 

This is good to know about Paradis. I have been concerned about his age but didn’t realize he was such an old rookie and will be a very “young” 30. 

Paradis was PFFs #2 rated center. Pursuing him is a no-brainer.

I question the quick dismissal of Trent Brown. He allows Beachum to compete at RT, and gives us a young, lock-down LT. Plus having those two positions shored up before the weak OL draft, means we can draft for actual value not because we’ve neglected the OL in years past. 

53 minutes ago, NYJets8 said:

Frighteningly, the teams Beachum leaves generally improve the very next season. In 2016, the Jacksonville Jaguars ranked in the 20s in terms of rushing. With Beachum gone and Cam Robinson in (with a relatively similar offensive line other than the right guard, the below-average Patrick Omameh), the Jags skyrocketed to first. Leonard Fournette helped the cause, no doubt, but he didn’t even amass 50 percent of the total rushing output.

Not that I disagree with the premise of this article but this is not the shining example to prove that Beachum isnt a LT.  You actually dont need any examples to prove the Jets need to upgrade every position on the OL, you just simply need to watch the Jets to make this determination.  That said, this is a beyond moronic example. 

Not only did they add Fournette, they had new Head Coach who ran the ball 150 more times than they did the season before.  lol

12 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

• Left Tackle: Jonah Williams (No. 3 overall pick or first round via trading back)

What’s beautiful about this specific free agency and draft is that the puzzle pieces fit exactly what the Jets need: edge and O-line. The only thing left to be done is to actually take action.

Aggressively pursue two edge defenders and then load up on O-line in the draft. Mike Maccagnan, the Dunkin Donuts coffee man, has been addicted to caffeine yet allergic to drafting offensive linemen. 

• Macc is taking Allen or Bosa. Period. We will have to improve the OL primarily thru FA.
  • Left Tackle: Trent Brown -FA
  • Guard: Glowkinski -FA
  • Center: Matt Paradis - FA
  • Right Guard: McGovern rd 3
  • Right Tackle: Beach and Shell

I strongly disagree with parting ways with Beachum.

Hes an average LT and his contract lines up with his production. I dont feel comfortable handing that job over to a rookie day 1. 

I would sign one interior FA OL, re-sign backups like Qvale and Ijalana and keep Long as an insurance policy in case the draft pick isnt ready. 

Paradis is a very good start.  He is an "Ironman", having been the most durable of starters at his position prior to breaking his leg.  He is 28, by the way, not 30 as has been reported.  Left Tackle is also a big need that must be addressed.  While taking one at #3 overall goes against conventional  wisdom, and would sting considering all of our other needs, I truly believe that we will have the opportunity to "trade down" and  use the lower 1st rounder or an acquired #2  for that purpose.  Failing that our first #3 is an option.  Unlike other posters I would keep Long, and cut Beachum, Carpenter, Qvale, and Ijalana.  Long played reasonably well at Guard, and is an experienced Center. He makes less than Beachum, and would fill a gap or give depth to the rebuild. Winters, although disappointing last year, has been more than adequate in the past and should  be retained for one more season.  The same goes for Shell who is relatively young, more than adequate and until last year showed growth at the position.  His injury is not as serious as first thought and he will be ready for OTA's and the beginning of the season.

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Hes an average LT and his contract lines up with his production. I dont feel comfortable handing that job over to a rookie day 1. 

I would sign one interior FA OL, re-sign backups like Qvale and Ijalana and keep Long as an insurance policy in case the draft pick isnt ready. 

brick was lt from day one.  i think randy thomas and jason fabini were too.  i think if the jets are going to revamp the oline, then revamp it.  they should try to piecemeal it together like they have been doing. since beacham may only have one more average season left, bring in upgrade who's going to be around for 3 or so seasons.

The draft is stacked with pass rushers and weak at O-line?  Sign 2 EDGE and draft O-line!

21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Stefen Wiesnewski may very well be a cap casualty for the Eagles, and would be worth a look at G.

Can't he play some C too? 

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  I think Paradis is the most important target for the Jets in FA.  More than a pass rusher, more than Bell, etc. getting Matt Paradis anchors the entire rebuild on the OLine.

Isn't Paradis a bit of a medical question mark? Maybe not a huge one, but he has to check out medically.  I am not in favor of throwing a ton of money at C.  I know it is considered sacrilege around here, but give me a Jonathan Goodwin and the money over Mawae or Mangold. 

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I am with you. If we truly have all this money, why wouldn't you hang on to these guys?  Beachum should be upgraded, but he is fairly cheap for an LT and many of these Day 1 LTs are not ready to start out of the box.  I know everybody hates Long, but he had the broken finger and couldn't snap.  I think a big upgrade at C or G and keep Long for the other isn't necessarily the worst plan.  Then you can draft some later round C or G who may surprise.  Plenty do. 

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Paradis is a very good start.  He is an "Ironman", having been the most durable of starters at his position prior to breaking his leg.  He is 28, by the way, not 30 as has been reported.  Left Tackle is also a big need that must be addressed.  While taking one at #3 overall goes against conventional  wisdom, and would sting considering all of our other needs, I truly believe that we will have the opportunity to "trade down" and  use the lower 1st rounder or an acquired #2  for that purpose.  Failing that our first #3 is an option.  Unlike other posters I would keep Long, and cut Beachum, Carpenter, Qvale, and Ijalana.  Long played reasonably well at Guard, and is an experienced Center. He makes less than Beachum, and would fill a gap or give depth to the rebuild. Winters, although disappointing last year, has been more than adequate in the past and should  be retained for one more season.  The same goes for Shell who is relatively young, more than adequate and until last year showed growth at the position.  His injury is not as serious as first thought and he will be ready for OTA's and the beginning of the season.

I thought I just read that Shell's surgery was "complicated?"  Most sources  say that Paradis was born on Columbus Day in 1989.  That would make him 29, turning 30 during the season.  Do you have some other info? 

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

brick was lt from day one.  i think randy thomas and jason fabini were too.  i think if the jets are going to revamp the oline, then revamp it.  they should try to piecemeal it together like they have been doing. since beacham may only have one more average season left, bring in upgrade who's going to be around for 3 or so seasons.

Randy Thomas was a G.  Fabini started at RT and didn't move to LT until  he flip-flopped/took over for Jumbo Elliot after a couple of years.  Some guys do start at LT from day 1 and I wouldn't burn #3 overall on one I didn't think could, but things fall apart all the time and Beachum and Long seem like fairly cheap insurance.  

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

thought I just read that Shell's surgery was "complicated?"  Most sources  say that Paradis was born on Columbus Day in 1989.  That would make him 29, turning 30 during the season.  Do you have some other info? 

You are correct about Paradis age, I just checked. Google had him as being born in 1991, figures. In respect to Shell there was an interview with him from the beginning of January where he is quoted as saying that the doctors told him that he could start rehabbing six weeks after the surgery, which took place around the last few weeks of December.  He was talking about being excited about getting back to work and didn't seem concerned about being ready for OTA's ,much less training camp.  Connor  Hughes of "The Athletic" said exactly that on December 31st.  So barring any unforeseen setbacks he will be fine and ready.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You are correct about Paradis age, I just checked. Google had him as being born in 1991, figures. In respect to Shell there was an interview with him from the beginning of January where he is quoted as saying that the doctors told him that he could start rehabbing six weeks after the surgery, which took place around the last few weeks of December.  He was talking about being excited about getting back to work and didn't seem concerned about being ready for OTA's ,much less training camp.  Connor  Hughes of "The Athletic" said exactly that on December 31st.  So barring any unforeseen setbacks he will be fine and ready.

I pointed this out a few times during the season while prospecting free agents for the offseason. It’s weird how google says one thing but Espn/nfl say he actual age. Many people thought he was younger and a no brainer signing. His age is far from ideal but will be “young” for his age considering he was an older rookie and only played a few seasons. 

Paradis was PFFs #2 rated center. Pursuing him is a no-brainer.
I question the quick dismissal of Trent Brown. He allows Beachum to compete at RT, and gives us a young, lock-down LT. Plus having those two positions shored up before the weak OL draft, means we can draft for actual value not because we’ve neglected the OL in years past. 
If we sign Trent Brown not only are we taking a risk because players always seem to do better on the patriots than on other teams but we will also be handing them a compensatory pick as well (yes I know they are going to get it anyway and that someone will sign this guy to a big contract but to me it just doesn't feel right)

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/24/2019 at 3:02 PM, NYJets8 said:

The New York Jets path to correcting the offensive line lies completely on the left due to skill, salary-cap details, and age.

In 2018, the New York Jets active roster offensive line collected a grand total $26,982,145. This lofty number ranked 11th in the NFL. The average cap dollar for each offensive lineman on the roster represented $3,372,768, good enough for eighth in the entire league.

Witch such dough handed to the big heavies up front, at least a “good” performance should be expected.

Instead, free runners, false starts, and plenty of Sam Darnold running-for-his-life moments plagued his entire rookie campaign.

Enough with the patchwork. Stop it already with the free agent road. The offensive line accounts for nearly half of the entire offense (five of 11) and thrives off competition during those all-too-crucial August days.

Yet Mike Maccagnan has drafted a mere two offensive linemen over the course of 28 total draft picks (both of whom represent fifth-round selections).

There is an appropriate way to fix it this offseason (akin to the last two offseasons). The Jets top executive simply needs to go out and make it priority number one. He must understand it always starts up front. It’s time he realizes the offensive line lifts the play of every offensive player that plays in conjunction.

The road to fixing the New York Jets offensive line lies on the left side.

Kelvin Beachum Can't Play Left Tackle

Kelvin Beachum represents the team’s most consistent linemen. This doesn’t mean he’s safe. In fact, when taking everything into account—salary cap, age, production—he must be moved.

First and foremost, this is left tackle. This is the position that needs to contain a decade-long youngster who protects Sam Darnold’sback. Beachum is equipped with one remaining year on his initial three-year, $24 million deal signed during the 2017 offseason.

New York Jets

He’s can’t play left tackle for a dominant NFL offensive line.

New York would save $8 million by cutting the ordinary tackle pre-June 1.

Cutting Beachum while making sure that decade-long youngster is secured in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft is the most critical aspect of remaking the O-line.

The other option is keeping Beachum on the roster and having him fight for the right tackle spot during the summer.

Brian Winters & Brandon Shell Remain

It’s pretty obvious why Brandon Shell remains on the roster while Kelvin Beachum finds himself unemployed, but we’ll shout it anyway. The former is 26-years-old and still on his rookie deal while Beachum will be 30 by the time camp opens. Again, Beachum could remain on the roster and snag that right tackle spot if good enough, but it should only go down that way if the Jets don’t need the cap space.

Winters, 27, is the de facto individual of the group. Unspectacular in many ways, the Jets draftee comes equipped with two years remaining on his massive, rough deal. If the Jets decided to move on, they would save $6.5 million.

The reason Winters should remain safe is drilled down to one specific (Spencer Long) reason.

Take The Hit With Spencer Long

We already know James Carpenter is gone. Once upon a time, the former Seattle Seahawks world champ accounted for one of Mike Maccagnan’s sneakiest free agent pickups. These days, the man simply cannot stay healthy.

Carpenter, who’ll be 30 by this summer, is at the end of the road. He will be a free agent this offseason and under no circumstances should be re-signed.

Spencer Long is the name that makes things tricky.

Much like Winters, Long’s contract is a major hindrance. Graciously accepting a four-year, $27.5 million deal last offseason, Long is signed through the 2021 season. Smartly, Maccagnan overpaid on the average salary to ensure the guaranteed money remained relatively low, allowing for flexibility in a pinch.

Long’s total guaranteed money only nets $6.5 million over the four years. Should the Jets move on this offseason, they’ll actually save $6.5 million, meaning they’re in the same boat with Long and Winters. To me, it’s easy which one to ditch. Though Winters disappointed this past season, his ceiling is levels higher than the former Washington Redksin modern-hog.

To recap, Carpenter is already gone and his ditched salary is already included in the $93,837,909 total cap space, via Over The Cap. The potential cuts of Beachum and Long would save an additional $14.5 million. Should Beachum remain to battle it out with Shell and Long only go, $6.5 million would be cleared.

In an ideal world, all five of these big heavies would be replaced in one fell swoop. That reality is a tough one to conjure up, however.

Jonah Williams (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

A First-Round Tackle & Second or Third-Round Guard/Center

There are two routes Maccagnan can go in the first round if he does the right thing in free agency (which means snagging two stud edge players, i.e. Demarcus Lawrence, Brandon Graham, Trey Flowers). He can stay at three and draft Alabaham’s Jonah Williams or Ole’ Miss’ Greg Little, or he can trade back, collect assets and still draft one of those two tackles or snag Florida’s Jawaan Taylor or Wisconsin’s David Edwards (or perhaps Kansas State’s Dalton Risner if they feel he’s not a guard at the big-boy level).

In my world, I’m not messing around. I’d only trade back, at most, 10 spots and only if I’m ensured one of the top four (Williams, Little, Taylor, or Edwards). Should Williams and Little separate themselves from Taylor and Edwards, I’d make sure my next left tackle will be one of the two formers.

Forcing the left tackle issue in round one is crucial. There are no answers at this position in free agency. There never are. With young Darnold in the house, it starts at left tackle.

Trading down could fetch them a second rounder that could be used on a much-needed guard or center. Or, at the very worst, the third rounder is there to double-down along the unit.

Guards and centers to look out for between the second (if the Jets acquire that round) and fourth round are Florida’s Martez Ivey, Mississippi State’s Darryl Williams, Wisconsin’s Beau Benzschawel, Penn State’s Connor McGovern, Boston College’s Chris Lindstrom, LSU’s Garrett Brumfield, Texas A&M’s Erik McCoy, Mississippi State’s Elgton Jenkins, Stanford’s Jesse Burkett, North Carolina State’s Garrett Bradbury, Oklahoma’s Cody Ford, or the aforementioned Risner who may each make the transition from outside to the interior.

Elite Access

Right now, McGovern is my guy, a Penn State product who can play both guard and center. His stock is quickly rising which may spell doom for a third or even second-round projection, but he’s the gold standard right now—the perfect turnout.

Truthfully, I’d draft a left tackle, guard and center all within the first five rounds of the draft to make up for ill-conceived personnel ideas in year’s past, but we’ll play it conservatively.

Sign Center Matt Paradis

Trent Brown doesn’t excite me. Any offensive lineman who loses Dante Scarnecchia is never a good fantastic gamble. Roger Saffold is 31-years-old. Twenty-nine-year-old center Matt Paradis is a nice thought.

Paradis suffered a fractured fibula after playing just nine games in 2018. Prior, he played 16 games from 2014 through 2017 after sitting out his rookie campaign. Only a sixth-round draft selection, Paradis isn’t exciting on the surface, but hey, nothing is along the O-line in free agency. That’s why it’s crucial to always have an influx of young talent every year via the bloodline, the draft.

Prior to his season-ending injury, Pro Football Focus ranked the free agent center within the top three at the position. He’s allowed just one sack over the last two seasons (hello Spencer Long).

The ideal situation would see New York draft three offensive linemen. That’s just not realistic and offers little flexibility. Instead, throw money at two edge rushers, sign Paradis and go into the draft needing that left tackle and another interior guy while scouring the pool for a wide receiver and corner.

Aggressively pursue two edge defenders and then load up on O-line in the draft. Mike Maccagnan, the Dunkin Donuts coffee man, has been addicted to caffeine yet allergic to drafting offensive linemen. If he fails to swallow a Zyrtec prior to the 2019 NFL Draft, Sam Darnold will quickly turn into the next Andrew Luck caution story.

No more messing around. It’s time to secure the house.

Might as well slide Jonah in at Right guard because it’s becoming more likely he will be guard at the nfl level Im even starting to hear scouts thinking he should be moved to center . 

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Allen and Bosa will be gone. Highly doubtful any of those quality pass rushers actually hit the market.  That’s the reality. Have to go OL in free agency and hope somebody jumps us for a Qb, so Allen will be there

If where moving to 4-3 got no problem taking Quinnen Williams putting him on the inside with Leo. As we learning through out the playoffs Interior Pass rush is starting become real important .

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

How much cheaper would a younger Mich Morse be than paradis? I get paradis is a better player but if the price difference is large there are other players who can make us a better team that we could sign with the money we would save?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Probably quite a bit, based on his recent injury issues.  Missed time due to a sprained ankle and concussion, causing the Chiefs to somewhat sour on him   Seems like more bad luck, than a pattern  .The fact that his backup played well in his absence and signed a team friendly extension is further proof that they may move on from Morse. The fact that he is a lower profile player than Paradis also will possibly work in our favor should we pursue him. He is an intriguing option, that's for sure.

It still boggles the mind how a group of professionals, paid to build a football team for success, grossly neglects the most important unit on the field.  The offensive line should have been addressed a couple years before even thinking about drafting a Franchise QB, and never neglected, even if Sam is not your guy, the line will be solid for the next one.  

Lucky for you, Sam is mobile and a big kid with linebacker skills, what about the durability of any WR or RB you draft now?  Finally drafting OL this next draft and adding several depth players, it could take a few years to gel. Ugh.

It all starts inside and I believe Paradis is a must. I mean, if he hits the open market the Jets need to go all out to bring him in. If they make him the highest paid C in the NFL, so be it. 

I think there are two other FA O-linemen the Jets need to target for a full overhaul. J.Miller-OG, Bills and J.James-OT, Dolphins. If the Jets are able to pry these two guys away from their division rivals along with Paradis, it would completely change the whole offensive line without relying on the draft. The Jets would have enough money to do so by letting Carpenter walk and cutting loose Beachem and Long.

The wild card in this scenario would be Shell and whether he can make a full recovery next year. But let's assume he is healthy enough to start at RT next year. The Jets would go from one of the worst highest paid O-lines to one of the best highest paid O-lines. And they would still have the option to draft an OT and plug him in at RT if Shell can't come back healthy or they don't feel comfortable with him starting. 

LT- J.James, OG-J.Miller, C- M.Paradis, OG-Winters, RT- Shell

On 1/25/2019 at 5:25 AM, WayneChrebet80 said:

Completely Agree

the Author glosses right by the Salary cap implications but actually cutting Beachum now is the wrong move in terms of dead money. 2020 is the year to cut beachum. Winters is the one who becomes cap friendly to cut this year

QValue sucks by the way. 

the line should look something like 

Beachum - Long -  X - X  - Shell 

with C and RG the holes to fill in FA and the draft. They could draft a bunch of developmental guys rd 3-5 and let them fight it out with a FA Vet or 2

Harrison i can take or leave, Ijalana is never healthy 

the tackles will be the same (again, calling it now) 

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

If where moving to 4-3 got no problem taking Quinnen Williams putting him on the inside with Leo. As we learning through out the playoffs Interior Pass rush is starting become real important .

Especially if we somehow land a Clowney or Lawrence! 

I'd have no problem if Quinnen Williams is the best player on the board.

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

Completely Agree

the Author glosses right by the Salary cap implications but actually cutting Beachum now is the wrong move in terms of dead money. 2020 is the year to cut beachum. Winters is the one who becomes cap friendly to cut this year

QValue sucks by the way. 

with C and RG the holes to fill in FA and the draft. They could draft a bunch of developmental guys rd 3-5 and let them fight it out with a FA Vet or 2

Beachem - Long - X - X - Shell is exactly what should happen.  Replacing any more pieces is simply too difficult.

This draft has some excellent interior lineman, and in any trade back scenario we would be able to focus on players like Jonah Williams and Cody Ford (1st round), Garret Bradbury (very athletic, smart center) and Elton Jenkins in the 2nd round, Chris Lidstrom in the 3rd (if he makes it there) and developmental players in the later rounds.

I think focusing more on defense in FA is a better move as there simply isn't a ton of offensive line talent in the league right now, and teams are locking up their good ones.  We can spend on players like Dante Fowler, Anthony Barr, or Grady Jarrett to help our defense, pay a RB (preferably Tevin Coleman)  and use as many of our picks as possible on lineman to keep the well filled.

Completely Agree

QValue sucks by the way. 

Beachem - Long - X - X - Shell is exactly what should happen.  Replacing any more pieces is simply too difficult.

This draft has some excellent interior lineman, and in any trade back scenario we would be able to focus on players like Jonah Williams and Cody Ford (1st round), Garret Bradbury (very athletic, smart center) and Elton Jenkins in the 2nd round, Chris Lidstrom in the 3rd (if he makes it there) and developmental players in the later rounds.

I think focusing more on defense in FA is a better move as there simply isn't a ton of offensive line talent in the league right now, and teams are locking up their good ones.  We can spend on players like Dante Fowler, Anthony Barr, or Grady Jarrett to help our defense, pay a RB (preferably Tevin Coleman)  and use as many of our picks as possible on lineman to keep the well filled.

Completely Agree

QValue sucks by the way. 

Archived