Usain Bolt ties best NFL 40-yard dash record

nycdan

They guy is an absolute beast.  32 years old.  No cleats.  Probably not even trained to his peak.  And he goes out an just makes an effortless mockery of this event and I loved every second of it (all 4.22 of them to be exact).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818947-watch-usain-bolt-tie-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-record-at-422-seconds

Oh, did I mention he's 6'5".  I wonder if he can catch a football... Asking for a friend...

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Isn't the guy one of the fastest human beings in the world? Shouldn't he be expected to beat a bunch of football players on a sprint?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He's 32.  In sweats and sneakers.  Not in peak condition.  And he's 6'5" and never been known for fast starts (he wins by maintaining peak speed in the 200 longer than anyone else can).  And the guys running at the combine are all 10-12 years youngers, should be world-class athletes (well not the fatties, but the WRs and CBs at least) and have been training exclusive for it for months.  So it's pretty amazing. 

There's a UT track star, Christian Coleman, who was taped running it in 4.12.  

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Can this guy get to the QB?  Can he catch?  If so sign this beast if not who cares.

Just appreciate the athletic greatness.  It transcends any sport.  He is the fastest human that ever lived (in the 200-yard dash at least).  And by all accounts, he's a great person which, for me at least, doubles down on the goodness.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just appreciate the athletic greatness.  It transcends any sport.  He is the fastest human that ever lived (in the 200-yard dash at least).  And by all accounts, he's a great person which, for me at least, doubles down on the goodness.

He is a phenomenal athlete no doubt and a truly great superstar but .....doping

Christian Coleman is the next great sprinter down the pipe

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Usain Bolt is the fastest human to ever live- what did we expect?

You need to define fastest human like @Charlie Brown did because Usain Bolt is way back on my list of humans I’d ask to run a message 3 miles, or more to an important destination, and there was no other means to get said message to the destination.

37 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Oh, did I mention he's 6'5".  I wonder if he can catch a football... Asking for a friend...

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Can this guy get to the QB?  Can he catch?  If so sign this beast if not who cares.

He was approached by a couple of teams about playing a few years ago -- article from 2016:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/24/usain-bolt-says-nfl-teams-tried-to-recruit-him-to-play-wide-receiver/?utm_term=.3f70f7a7c136

The fastest man alive could have been the fastest man on your fantasy football team this season, had he taken up one of the offers he claims were extended to him by NFL teams in hopes of molding him into a star wide receiver.

“I’ve gotten offers, and people have asked,” the nine-time Olympic gold medalist told Dan Patrick during an interview Friday (via NBC Sports).

Patrick didn’t press Bolt any further on which teams have asked him to try out, nor did Bolt offer any extra details, except to say football doesn’t seem like something he’d want to play.

“I used to watch [football] when I was younger, and the hits that the guys used to take,” he said. “I know that it is not as bad now, but the hits that the guys would take kind of turned me off.”

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

6’5”? Hearing that for first time. Never would have guessed that .

Could you imagine the times you could have run when he was younger? He never tried to run his fastest because there are financial incentives for beating the world record. Since he slowed up in his races he'd get multiple opportunities to beat his own world records.

It could be a real long time before we see another sprinter like Bolt. And just that name brings excitement to the event. Kinda like when Tiger was in his prime.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Isn't the guy one of the fastest human beings in the world? Shouldn't he be expected to beat a bunch of football players on a sprint?

He picks up speed throughout his races. If you watch him particularly in the 100 meters, he trails slightly and then pulls away. He’s a bit of Long strider. So it is impressive he can have that much speed in just 40 yards and at his current age.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Track athletes would look good on an nfl field until the 1st time they got hit and then the hammys would seize up.

Bolt is awesome though,  a real spectacle and one of the few people that you can truly say 'worth the price of admission'

One of the most enjoyable athletes to watch in my lifetime. Everyone in my house would stop everything to watch this guy run. 

He comes off as a great person too. I think that adds to his appeal. Always smiling. Seems like a genuine guy.

He picks up speed throughout his races. If you watch him particularly in the 100 meters, he trails slightly and then pulls away. He’s a bit of Long strider. So it is impressive he can have that much speed in just 40 yards and at his current age.
Still though the one thing the guy does is run. The kids coming in the draft train for it but it is not their main or only focus they have other more important skills to showcase.

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I watched something years ago where they had his 40 running his fastest 100 vs Chris Johnson’s 40 and he lost. 

I’ll try to find it. Either way it’s not surprising one of the fastest guys ever ran fast. Are they going to have a powerlifter/bodybuilder do the bench press next?

Is Chris Johnaon who holds the record?

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Check this out:

usainbolt.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

And here's a fun picture from his soccer 'career'

FBL-AUS-ASIA-BOLT_1535720269.jpg

Bolt had a trial with Central Coast Mariners in the A League here in Australia.

He wasn't that impressive as a player (mostly played as a striker). Central Coast offered him a deal but he wanted more money so he turned them down. Now given up on the prospect of a career in soccer.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

They guy is an absolute beast.  32 years old.  No cleats.  Probably not even trained to his peak.  And he goes out an just makes an effortless mockery of this event and I loved every second of it (all 4.22 of them to be exact).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818947-watch-usain-bolt-tie-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-record-at-422-seconds

I was going to downvote you after reading your headline.. then I realized how horrible our O has been past 10 yrs ?

Archived