RoadFan's post-ban thoughts and reflections

RoadFan

To those that acknowledged or elaborated on what I said... thank you.

To those that are glad to have me back... I appreciate the sentiment and it is good to be back in the game.

To those that have no idea who I am... that was part of my point.

To those that cracked jokes at my expense... I expected it and said it was fine.  I will be sure to mention it to my therapist after my estrogen hormonal therapy.  

To the one poster who isn't ready to forgive and forget.  I absolutely love Smokey Robinson, although I prefer "Tracks of my Tears."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

To those that are glad to have me back... I appreciate the sentiment and it is good to be back in the game.

To those that cracked jokes at my expense... I expected it and said it was fine.  I will be sure to mention it to my therapist after my estrogen hormonal therapy.  

To the one poster who isn't ready to forgive and forget.  I absolutely love Smokey Robinson, although I prefer "Tracks of my Tears."

Hey thanks for making this thread, I appreciate it. We are passionate Jets fans and sometimes it boils over. We absolutely hate banning people, it is the worst part of the job. Really appreciate you coming back the way you did though.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A little PSA, if you will. 

The one complaint I consistently hear from people I meet who post (or lurk) here is that the posters on the board are “cliquey” and it’s hard to break into these cliques, so these people stop signing in here altogether. I always find this a little heartbreaking, to be honest, in part because it’s true, but also because I know how hurtful it can be to be passionate about something and want to share your thoughts on it, but finding those thoughts ignored or dismissed on a forum where everyone seems to be yelling louder than you even though your posts are better or more interesting. I mean, I’ve been a charismatic internet phenom forever, but I’ve watched a lot of really interesting people disappear over the years, so let me give you some tips on how to get your views out there with some amplitude.

I’ve been on message boards forever. I started out on AOL chat rooms, on a board called “twentysomethings,” which was basically a pick-up site/hangout chat/drug, media, and comedy sharing resource. It was great fun! It wasn’t until later that I found out that people were talking about the dog-ass Jets on other, similar sites and I gravitated over that way. The lessons I learned trying to get nudes from women on AIM translated really well when I started posting about football. Here are some of those lessons:

1. NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK:

This is the cardinal rule for message boards, Twitter, for picking up women, or for anything, really. The sh*t you believe only matters to you. PEOPLE ONLY CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. It’s circular. Do you have an original thought? Cool. Find the people who’ve already had that same thought and interact with them. Does your thought—though fundamentally the same—differ in some minor, peripheral way? Well, now you’re part of a community where you can workshop that minor deviation and find a niche within that hive. You’re on your way. But, and this is point #2...

2. DON’T BOTHER WRITING A STAND-ALONE ESSAY ABOUT A THOUGHT YOU HAVE BECAUSE NOBODY CARES:

You see this a lot with new posters. They’ll appear in a thread that already has three pages of content and they’ll drop a full paragraph with their opinion on the matter and it won’t even draw a single “like” and you never, ever see that guy post again because he’s humiliated. NEVER DO THIS. Again, find someone who kinda agrees with you and interact with that guy, but DON’T GO MORE THAN A SENTENCE OR TWO. Why? If the thread is already three pages long, chances are good that most of the narrative angles have already been covered and you’re just going to repeat something that everyone else has responded to, so your post is useless and annoying. If you’re not sure if it’s been covered exhaustively enough, don’t post that either. It just means that nobody cares that much. Read the room. BUT...

3. DON’T BE INTIMIDATED:

This is in reference to that “cliquey” business I mentioned earlier. EVERYONE HERE HATES EVERYONE ELSE AND THE ONLY REASON WE COME HERE IS TO HUMILIATE EACH OTHER. There are no actual alliances. Nobody here calls each other at home. We don’t attend each other’s weddings or go on fishing trips with each other. We’re extremely online because we’re misanthropes with infinitesimal real-life social circles which we supplement with other, similar societal rejects by logging in to jet nation dot com. Be not afraid. Everyone here is ass. You are ass. It’s fine.

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK or how you perfected creepy online courting when AOL reigned supreme in 1994! :P LOL. 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

GOOD!! You got a sense of humor and self-deprecating at that! :lol:

It's the internet, it's never personal. I just knew throwing that out there would make this thread go haywire. 

Smokey IS the man, but I decided to stick with the clown theme. lol. 

And applause for the usual suspects on this board for performing their typical roles admirably. LOL. 

Go Jets! 

Anyone remember the ESPN boards in the early 2000s? 

With 1 account you had access to 32 boards. It was constant flame wars! 

The "jetskins" year I discovered that the skins have a massive online community 

Things haven't changed even a little bit lol

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The one complaint I consistently hear from people I meet who post (or lurk) here is that the posters on the board are “cliquey” and it’s hard to break into these cliques, so these people stop signing in here altogether. I always find this a little heartbreaking, to be honest, in part because it’s true, but also because I know how hurtful it can be to be passionate about something and want to share your thoughts on it, but finding those thoughts ignored or dismissed on a forum where everyone seems to be yelling louder than you even though your posts are better or more interesting. I mean, I’ve been a charismatic internet phenom forever, but I’ve watched a lot of really interesting people disappear over the years, so let me give you some tips on how to get your views out there with some amplitude.

I’ve been on message boards forever. I started out on AOL chat rooms, on a board called “twentysomethings,” which was basically a pick-up site/hangout chat/drug, media, and comedy sharing resource. It was great fun! It wasn’t until later that I found out that people were talking about the dog-ass Jets on other, similar sites and I gravitated over that way. The lessons I learned trying to get nudes from women on AIM translated really well when I started posting about football. Here are some of those lessons:

This is the cardinal rule for message boards, Twitter, for picking up women, or for anything, really. The sh*t you believe only matters to you. PEOPLE ONLY CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. It’s circular. Do you have an original thought? Cool. Find the people who’ve already had that same thought and interact with them. Does your thought—though fundamentally the same—differ in some minor, peripheral way? Well, now you’re part of a community where you can workshop that minor deviation and find a niche within that hive. You’re on your way. But, and this is point #2...

2. DON’T BOTHER WRITING A STAND-ALONE ESSAY ABOUT A THOUGHT YOU HAVE BECAUSE NOBODY CARES:

You see this a lot with new posters. They’ll appear in a thread that already has three pages of content and they’ll drop a full paragraph with their opinion on the matter and it won’t even draw a single “like” and you never, ever see that guy post again because he’s humiliated. NEVER DO THIS. Again, find someone who kinda agrees with you and interact with that guy, but DON’T GO MORE THAN A SENTENCE OR TWO. Why? If the thread is already three pages long, chances are good that most of the narrative angles have already been covered and you’re just going to repeat something that everyone else has responded to, so your post is useless and annoying. If you’re not sure if it’s been covered exhaustively enough, don’t post that either. It just means that nobody cares that much. Read the room. BUT...

3. DON’T BE INTIMIDATED:

This is in reference to that “cliquey” business I mentioned earlier. EVERYONE HERE HATES EVERYONE ELSE AND THE ONLY REASON WE COME HERE IS TO HUMILIATE EACH OTHER. There are no actual alliances. Nobody here calls each other at home. We don’t attend each other’s weddings or go on fishing trips with each other. We’re extremely online because we’re misanthropes with infinitesimal real-life social circles which we supplement with other, similar societal rejects by logging in to jet nation dot com. Be not afraid. Everyone here is ass. You are ass. It’s fine.

Tom, stop.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3. DON’T BE INTIMIDATED:

LOL... Oh dear

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s good internet advice I don’t get the blowback 

It really is good advice.  Very good advice. You broke character,  went out on a limb, and it's a bit of a struggle for readers to come to the conclusion that you were actually mostly serious for a change... I read it a second time just to make sure.  

and bustin' chops...

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3. DON’T BE INTIMIDATED:

4chan moderator? ?

Never understood the “cliquish” complaint. What do people expect a trumpet fanfare whenever they arrive here for the first time? It takes time and effort to join a new community. It’s like complaining that all your neighbours seem to get along with each other better than with you when you just moved in on Saturday. “It’s too cliquish” sounds more like a justification to be a misanthrop not just in regards to jetnation but in all organisations or associations of human beings existing anywhere. 

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Which was probably the driving force behind the OP.

T0M got his own thread that went on for weeks when he disappeared. And he's just one of the afore mentioned "schtick posters". ??

To be fair, @T0mShane got his own thread because @TuscanyTile2 wants to wear T0m’s skin like a meat suit. But I digress.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FTR, I have intentionally avoided looking for that thread.

Only 40% of posters were openly rooting for your death. The other 60% believed you were transitioning and waiting for the incisions to heal to do a big reveal.

You are loved. 

Archived